• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Guide The way-too-long-for-anybody-to-actually-read Ness Guide!

thesage

Smash Hero
3DS FC
4957-3743-1481
I always wondered what those stars were. In order for this to be a quality topic, I think the spam should decrease, and I should finish my guides.

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
The first one's going to be tricky. In the meantime, I'll try to find time to make more GIF's. Stupid lag on KoL...

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
Okay, I changed the Harder Better Faster Stronger link. I like the other one, with the weird ambiance or whatever.

Ademisk

Smash Champion
It's not even a GOOD guide yet. I mean, all it really teaches you is the technical aspect of Ness's attacks, SOME matchups which are, if anything, unfinished and outdated(no offense Sage, but you know it to be true), and a bunch of shiny tricks. It needs a concrete HOW TO BE AWESOME WITH NESS section in order to be perfect. I'd write it, but I'm not confident enough in my matchups yet. Talk to me in a few months.

Also, thanks for sigging me Annoying.

thesage

Smash Hero
3DS FC
4957-3743-1481
It's not even a GOOD guide yet. I mean, all it really teaches you is the technical aspect of Ness's attacks, SOME matchups which are, if anything, unfinished and outdated(no offense Sage, but you know it to be true), and a bunch of shiny tricks. It needs a concrete HOW TO BE AWESOME WITH NESS section in order to be perfect. I'd write it, but I'm not confident enough in my matchups yet. Talk to me in a few months.

Also, thanks for sigging me Annoying.
Lol, I'm too lazy to update it. I kinda updated Peach or Marth or Shiek, I'm not sure which one. i know all the stuff I want to put in.... It's just too much time to update it... I'll try to finish it eventually. Even if ti means I have to stay up all night on February 9th to finish it.

Ademisk

Smash Champion
If Ness players didn't REALLY like Ness, they probably wouldn't play him. He's not a bad character, he just has a tough time against all the most popular characters.

BTW, whatever happened to EB360, like 3/4 of this guide is him.

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
If Ness players didn't REALLY like Ness, they probably wouldn't play him. He's not a bad character, he just has a tough time against all the most popular characters.

BTW, whatever happened to EB360, like 3/4 of this guide is him.
I pm'd him asking if he was dead, and saying that if he didn't respond he'd be dead.

He's dead.

NOHK

Smash Apprentice
great guide for up and coming ness players, its got like legit everything i wanted to know.

if i had more hands id give this guide 4 thumbs up duderz.

vrud

Smash Apprentice
woooo best guide eva ^^ thx alot ness community. Man there r alot of ness' out there

Airwalkerr

Smash Journeyman
I see that much of the Match-up information (despite being for the characters that don't require that much skill and precision) is lacking. This will just not do for the Ness community guide. So I would like to get this back up and running. My most played opponent in the world is a Zelda main. Say what you will about Zelda, but in the right hands, she is a highly defensive and deadly succubus! PK thunder juggles work very well here, as well as Uair juggles. But never NEVER attack an airbound zelda from the sides, with Fair or bair unless you have just strung a combo together that you are sure will connect, for her Fair/bair will fling you a good distance, likely off the edge to a place no Ness ever wants to be. Dash attack is a good approach, provided you can predict her prediction. If she sees you going for a dash attack, she will hop right over it and go for the fair/bair. So use your superior tactical skill (you ARE playing Ness) and Dash dance/wavedance/ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EwvWHvq45cw (JK, would be sweet if it was possible) to bait her fair, and get in there. Zelda has the recovery to come out and eat your PK thunder, so be cautious of that devious wench and try to take her down with you. Zelda is great to be under, no dirtyness intended, and you better remember it. Juggling her will likely make her player very angry. Anger leads to recklessNESS (forshadowing Ness rapage) And a reckless Zelda is a good Zelda, easily exploitable, although still to be approached with caution. Well, thats my two-bits on the match-up. Anyone down for reviving this until we have full match-ups down?

thesage

Smash Hero
3DS FC
4957-3743-1481
I'm finishing it this summer. I've been busy with high school/life/disease sorry.

For Zelda, I'm just going to search up what Mow said about the matchup since he's obviously the most informed on it.

indie_dave

Smash Ace
My most played opponent in the world is a Zelda main.
i saw Ademisk's set with Darkmusician on Bobby's channel. he did well in that set.

i haven't played Darkmusician too much, but i did get a couple tailwhip spikes on his recovery when he was midway to the blastzones from FD's edges...it must've caught him off guard enough to not react fast enough.

DM's zoning is pretty scary -- can't get near him when he's WoPing with fair/bair, and he'll mix up his "spacing" (zoning/camping/whatever you want to call it) with judicious use of nairs, crouch canceled dsmash, the woman shine lol (neutral b), and the infamous backwards uptilt lol, and lots of fsmash (not as much as bair/fair)...DM prides himself on "utilizing every aspect of zelda" >_>

basically he would take every moment where he didn't feel comfortable with approaching to STAY IN ONE LOCATION ON THE MAP.

his keep-away tactics included dash-dance into aerials/dash attack/grabs, LOTS of short-hopped double-bair(/fair?), double-jump baiting (think ganon...how they love to wait for you with their second jump and an aerial), and simply spamming fsmash.

SO

what's a ness to do?

tbh i'm not that great so this is just a list of things to look out for mostly.

i tend to be over-aggressive, and love spamming fast djc aerials.
ness's big head = FAT target for zelda kicks, so save it for your combos. you have to zone-camp pretty hard too otherwise you'll eat toe.

PLATFORMS HELP (i think)

if you really must, counterpick a stage you really feel comfortable on. i prefer YS, but it's hard enough to DI zelda bair/fair as it is for the small stage to survive on.

zelda's not as fast as ness, but her range is usually superior.

if you run into zelda jab, they like to follow up with a dash attack, so di away.

if you're going to use PK FIRE, be advised a good zelda will crouch cancel it into FIORE'S WIND (neutral b) as you're approaching, so be careful.

pay extra attention when you try to recovery -- i got surprised at how far offstage he'd chase for the kill, and then make it back himself.

i think if you can stick the basics and combo into grabs as much as possible that seemed to work best for me.

be advised a tourney-minded player knows how to use the secret weapon: zelda's down-b :urg:

DM hates FD and PS because the edges are bad for zelda's recovery. if you can read her recovery, PK FLASH is too much fun :D

practice up on your out of shield options. ness's wavedash oos is very very good, and probably a better option than djc/shffl oos because if you're not fast enough zelda WILL kick you first.

the grab-game for both characters is pretty funny because "she grabs with her elbows!" and ness pretty much has no arms. BUT zelda can KO with backthrow at highpercents/with bad di.

bahamutz69

Smash Journeyman
id imagine ness' fair out prioritizes most of zeldas aerials
but i dont know zelda

you could also just djc pressure with spaced nairs and fairs

Dogysamich

The Designated Hype Man!
BRoomer
be advised a tourney-minded player knows how to use the secret weapon: zelda's down-b :urg:
One of the best moves in fighting games right there. Better than fox's shine. Better than 3s Chun's c.mk. Better than RC Blanka Ball.

I want you to tell me what other move instantly puts you up 3 tiers?

---

but for the real reason im posting. You guys outta make a ness discussion thread or something.

Airwalkerr

Smash Journeyman
I'm finishing it this summer. I've been busy with high school/life/disease sorry.

For Zelda, I'm just going to search up what Mow said about the matchup since he's obviously the most informed on it.
Sorry to hear that. :( Let me know of any way I can help with the match-ups, I kinda assumed that this thread was just dead altogether. Let me know how I can help, most of my Smash friends main low tiers, which are the only characters not covered already in this here wonderful guide. I have extensive Kirby, Zelda, Pichu, DK and Game and Watch knowledge. Cheers to keepin the Ness metagame alive!

vrud

Smash Apprentice
I srsly don't understand y ness isnt even mid teir T.T Anyway i just wanted to no if u guys can rate/help out my ness if i would post vids of him.

Top Bottom