• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Unhappy Thread

Chronodiver Lokii

Chaotic Stupid
BRoomer
i feel like im just breaking down right now
i got the school stuff worked out (6 classes....the max most people take here is 5 a quarter because our classes are intense 4 hr long classes with hours of homework a week....welp)

im just tired and cannot wait to graduate.....

Shadow the Past

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3711-8167-5215
i got the school stuff worked out (6 classes....the max most people take here is 5 a quarter because our classes are intense 4 hr long classes with hours of homework a week....welp)

Oh god, why 6 classes? Is that your only option to still graduate on time?

Froggy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3110-7430-0100

I had to take 20 credits (7 classes) in my final semester so I get what you're going through. My advice is to just have a good attitude about it, at time the work load is un****ing believable but if you work through it you'll be shocked at what you're capable of getting done (I know I was). You will still have time to attend the occasional party. Trust me, its not all gloom and doom.

Shadow the Past

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3711-8167-5215
So in my Computer Graphics 2 class, I have to rework a Mesh-loader file to be able to load a file containing data to make fur for a mesh. I asked my professor where to begin (since I'm basically %95 in the dark), and he basically said "figure it out for yourself".

Okay cool. Only got like a week and a half to get this done.

MewtwoMaster2002

ミュウツーマスター2002
3DS FC
2922-0496-2962
Graduated with my undergrad degree a year ago, and after a six month unpaid internship, I was forced to move home. Only found a couple temp jobs around Christmas with temp agencies, but besides that was basically unemployed. While I started working part time at an outlet a little over a month ago, it really isn't enough to be self-sufficient. Lately I've only been getting 3-9 hours per week. My mom is blaming her depression on me and my brothers not meeting her expectations, and I've just been unable to get a job where I could support myself.

Also, my Wii stopped reading discs recently. Getting a Wii lens cleaner didn't help at all, so I think it's a problem with the disc reader. I can't afford to buy a Wii U with the situation I'm in, and I don't even know if Nintendo still fixes people's Wiis now...Plus even if I get a Wii U, it probably won't play Gamecube games. :/

It couldn't be helped that the "practical" majors at my university had strict requirements that I failed to meet, but now I wonder if studying something I was actually interested in was a bad idea due to not having a job by now. >_>

I wish I could move to elsewhere where it might be easier to get a job in my field, but I don't really have the money to do so. I don't even make enough to really hang out with the few friends I still have back home. At this point, I feel like a naive, selfish boy who's failed to mature mentally.

Chronodiver Lokii

Chaotic Stupid
BRoomer
what field are you in if i may ask : o
dont be afraid to follow what you like, by the way. its the mantra of our generation. its different than previous generations, but its not necessarily a bad thing. it allows for innovation and exciting new ways to look at old problems. it could be naive, but stick to your guns.

MewtwoMaster2002

ミュウツーマスター2002
3DS FC
2922-0496-2962
what field are you in if i may ask : o
dont be afraid to follow what you like, by the way. its the mantra of our generation. its different than previous generations, but its not necessarily a bad thing. it allows for innovation and exciting new ways to look at old problems. it could be naive, but stick to your guns.
I majored in Film and Media Studies. Basically while I wanted to do more production stuff in school, I was only able to take two production classes...one being an optional animation class. The others had been analyzing films or studying theory. There were also classes about the history of media from radio to television up to digital media.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I just started animation in 2013

It's something I've always wanted to do but never thought I was good enough.

Froggy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3110-7430-0100
I am so tired of hearing about gloom and doom and how the system is rigged against poor people. I want to believe that if I work hard and smart I'll be able to better my situation. But all I keep hearing is how impossible that is from the liberal news media. I may stop watching NBC, at the very least Chris Hayes(who used to be my favorite). I know things are difficult but I need to keep my hope, if I don't have that then for damn sure I'll fail at being successful.

MewtwoMaster2002

ミュウツーマスター2002
3DS FC
2922-0496-2962
I am so tired of hearing about gloom and doom and how the system is rigged against poor people. I want to believe that if I work hard and smart I'll be able to better my situation. But all I keep hearing is how impossible that is from the liberal news media. I may stop watching NBC, at the very least Chris Hayes(who used to be my favorite). I know things are difficult but I need to keep my hope, if I don't have that then for damn sure I'll fail at being successful.
I was complaining more about my own failures than the system. Granted, I did complain about the system of how certain majors worked at my school, but it was my failure in not meeting the expectations. It gets tiring hearing about it in the media as well, but all I can do now is do what I can until something better comes along. It's not that I'm not searching because I actually am looking, but I definitely could have done more in the past to have a better chance. For now, I'm where I'm at now because I failed to plan well and execute successfully, but I hope that things can get better.

Edit: Reading that first post again, the way I wrote it makes it seem more like I was complaining about the system. That wasn't my intention. >_>

Last edited:

Zink Imp

Smash Ace
I majored in Film and Media Studies. Basically while I wanted to do more production stuff in school, I was only able to take two production classes...one being an optional animation class. The others had been analyzing films or studying theory. There were also classes about the history of media from radio to television up to digital media.
Keep with internships even if they're unpaid. Trust me, I'm in that field. Unpaid internships are incredibly competitive. You might make a contact. Even if not, it's something to put on a resume.

MewtwoMaster2002

ミュウツーマスター2002
3DS FC
2922-0496-2962
Live abroad teaching english in a foreign country, save money, and gain tons of life experience. All you need is a bachelors degree if you're a native english speaker.
I actually applied for the JET Program around fall...I didn't get an interview. I'm not sure what other programs there are that are considered good with that. :/

Edit: I should mention that some programs require a TESL certificate and some don't.

Last edited:

Sizzle

I paint controllers
I actually applied for the JET Program around fall...I didn't get an interview. I'm not sure what other programs there are that are considered good with that. :/

Edit: I should mention that some programs require a TESL certificate and some don't.
Well the reason I say it is because I've taught English in Japan (not with JET) and I'm about to do the same thing in Korea. Korea's version of JET is called EPIK, so I would check that out too. Though I'm going to be working for a private school and I also don't have a TESL certification of any kind. If I were you, I'd check out Dave's ESL Cafe, there are a ton of job postings for teaching English abroad, and I've had a lot of amazing positive experiences abroad, and I really think it's a worthwhile thing to do while you're young.

Last edited:

JoshCube2

Banned via Warnings
- I am tired of gay marriage laws being passed in states for the sole reason I keep seeing gay people blaming these anti-gay laws on specific factors without analyzing the entire situation.

- The race card constantly being pulled by blacks, Mexicans, etc. I'm tired of seeing news reports yelling "racism" when something bad happens between two races.

- The government using lies to deceive people, and when you try to prove a point, a person calls you a conspiracy theorist.

- People claiming 6 million Jews died in WW2 when there's no substantial evidence of this.

- People claiming the Bible holds truth when there's no substantial evidence of this.

- Juries siding with law enforcement in clear cut cases where rights were violated.

Just off the top of my head.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
- I am tired of gay marriage laws being passed in states for the sole reason I keep seeing gay people blaming these anti-gay laws on specific factors without analyzing the entire situation.

- The race card constantly being pulled by blacks, Mexicans, etc. I'm tired of seeing news reports yelling "racism" when something bad happens between two races.

- The government using lies to deceive people, and when you try to prove a point, a person calls you a conspiracy theorist.

- People claiming 6 million Jews died in WW2 when there's no substantial evidence of this.

- People claiming the Bible holds truth when there's no substantial evidence of this.

- Juries siding with law enforcement in clear cut cases where rights were violated.

So you're anti-gay, anti-semitic, anti-Christian AND anti-government

What do you support?

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547

I'm with the JET program right now. I'll most likely be shifting to another company or a private somewhere after my time. But yeah, - TEFL/TESL degree definitely helps. I got mine a while back.

Falconv1.0

Smash Master

lol that's an edgy profile pic. 2 edge 4 me xD

Teran

Through Fire, Justice is Served
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988

This can't be the real JoshCube back from the dead

Zally

Smash Rookie
Girlfriend of almost three years broke up with me yesterday out of nowhere with a text. Came out of nowhere as everything seemed fine and we were making arrangements to both move in together and get married. I feel confused and I'm not sure what to do. Couple that with end of year tests and I'm not sure how I can handle all this.

Shadocat

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3737-9651-3260
Gonna have to look for another job. My hours went down hill. I started with 30+, now im at 20 hours. Also, no part-timer at my job can get over 25 hours anymore. That **** is ****ing stupid. And the stress and frustration isn't worth it.

Quitting my last job was pointless.

Dooms

KY/KP Joey
NNID
Doomsyplusle
3DS FC
2921-9568-4629
I'm just going to throw my thoughts out there, because I don't really know what to do with them at this point. Read, don't read, give thoughts, laugh at me, do what you will. I just don't want to hold this in anymore personally, and having these thoughts out there will hopefully make me feel a little bit better, especially if someone can relate to them.

I'm not mentally stable. I haven't been for quite a while now. I can't really deal with it anymore, honestly. I have something wrong mentally that is making me depressed, and it's also giving me anxiety issues. I can be perfectly fine one minute, and then I just get depressed, like someone just pulled a switch in my head and was like "Time to make him feel like crap!"

I know I need medication. Here's the thing. I don't drive. I know I have to learn at some point, but I've been pushing it because 1) my parents have openly offered to drive me anywhere I need to get to (which they have done pretty well so far) and 2) because it scares the living **** out of me. Cars trigger my anxiety issues like no other, and I basically freeze and just stare at the road in front of me unless I have someone constantly engaging me in conversation, which is not something I can guarantee. That's only in the passenger's seat. I don't even want to imagine what it's like to be in the driver's seat. It's something I'll have to conquer, but I haven't been able to yet to say the least.

What does that have to do with anything? My parents have to drive me places since I can't do it myself. Yay! I've had medication waiting for me for the past 3+ weeks, and I've constantly reminded them to take me to get the medication. Guess what they haven't done? :D :D :D. I cancelled both my counseling and psychiatrist appointments because they're both supposed to be post-medication follow ups, and now that schools over, I'm not sure if I will be able to reschedule them (which means I may not be able to get refills on the medication after I've gone through this month). The store where I'm getting the medication from is not in walking distance, either, and even if I made the walk, one of the roads I'd have to walk across is VERY well known for having really reckless drivers (more-so than usual) and it's actually somewhat common for people to get hit walking across that road because there are almost no crosswalks, which scares the living **** out of me.

I'm honestly scared to start medication. I kind of feel like if I were to go through any route of suicide, overdosing would be the path I'd resort to. I feel that if I were to reach a really low point through this (which is completely possible, as the medication supposedly makes me feel worse and makes me have more suicidal thoughts before it starts to make me not sad), I may kind of find a place to hide pills instead of taking them, and start saving them up so that I can just take them all at once at some point. I don't like thinking like this, and I doubt I would do it because I'd worry about someone finding the pills along with the fact that I don't really know how the whole overdosing process works, but it just really scares me. I don't know. I'm kind of just putting my thoughts out there.

I ****ed up in college this semester. Failed a class. Got a C- in another one. I missed a test in the one I failed because I wanted to make it up with a friend that had to miss a majority of the classes due to him figuring out he had cancer and having to go through all of the treatments for that and such. He ended up making the test up without me, and I gave up on the class after I got a 20% on another one of the tests because we were supposed to study for the test together and he studied without me because I had a ****ed up schedule or something. Doesn't help that how I am mentally right now has literally tore apart any motivation I have towards my major and school in general (or anything, really), which was a huge contributing factor to both that failure and my C-. I know I would do quite a bit better next semester since I know where I made my huge mistakes, and I know what to do if a friend has to miss x amount of weeks due to getting cancer now, but I don't even know if I should keep on trying at this point.

To continue that note, I got offered a job doing what I thought I wanted to do for the rest of my life. Kind of. I got to teach part of the percussion section in a marching band! For a day. Then I got fired because I was too much of an introvert. I came across as nervous, and I was shy, and the band director didn't like it. This is the second time something like this has happened. I know x job isn't for everybody, but what in the hell is an introvert supposed to do? I was really happy working with those group of kids. I learned a lot. I thoroughly enjoyed it, and I would definitely do it again. I can't though, because of how I am as a person. It's just upsetting that I find what I want to do for the rest of my life, and directors are telling me that my personality traits are holding me back. I'm afraid that I'm going to get more job opportunities, the process repeats, and then word starts to spread through the job vines and people are going to think of me as this shy nervous wreck that can't teach a group of kids. I'm starting to wonder if I should just work a job with a stable income that doesn't have me dealing with people as much as teaching would, regardless of how I feel towards teaching. Maybe that would be better in the long run?

Counseling didn't help much. She asks me for my thoughts, I tell her my thoughts. She tells me things I already know (my thoughts are irrational, my worry is not really necessary), I nod and continue to talk through my thoughts. I don't feel any different from when I go in and when I come out, and it's not making me feel any different towards myself or towards my situation. She's really nice and everything, and she's a fantastic person, but counseling just isn't working for me so far.

I kinda just feel like I'm losing options, losing motivation for anything, and I'm kind of losing my will to keep on going. The only things that keep me going at this point are my friends, and even then I'm starting to worry about my relationships with most of them. I have two or three friends I'm living for at this point, and that's it, really. People say that there's a light at the end of the tunnel, but I'm not seeing it. Be it school, my future, my mental state, and even my friends, I just don't see the bright future that is supposed to be ahead like everyone says. I'd say to give it time, but that hasn't helped for these past few months, so I'm kind of reluctant to say that myself.

Yeah, I just ranted for a while. Sorry about that. Just wanted to get these things off my chest. Thanks guys.

Last edited:

MewtwoMaster2002

ミュウツーマスター2002
3DS FC
2922-0496-2962
It's fine to rant. That's what the thread is for...or at least I think it is. It's totally messed up to fire someone just because they are an introvert. I am an introvert myself, so it was hard to make friends within my major. Unfortunately, I'm not of much help when it comes to mental stability as I don't recall having to ever experience that. My mom kind of went through that with her depression the last few months, and I felt completely helpless not knowing what to do. I felt guilty because I felt that my path (or lack thereof) is partly why she was going through that. The best I can do is to tell you to try hanging in there and that "there's a light at the end of the tunnel" even though you may not see it. However, it would probably bother you more because that seems to be what others have been doing, and you don't think it's helping much if at all.

Your parents should get the medication for you. If you fear that you might abuse it once you get it, an option would be to have your family (and possibly friends) regulate how you take it. I'm not sure if you have been studying by yourself since your friends haven't been studying with you, so I can't say much about that either. Anyways, hope I was of some help. If not, maybe knowing someone read the whole post could help...But what you are going through is definitely something people should not be laughing about. It's a pretty serious issue. Sometimes counselors may help, sometimes they aren't much help. In any case, I hope things will get better for you.

R0Y

Smash Master
No game to play or source of income at the moment, nothing sucks harder.

Dooms

KY/KP Joey
NNID
Doomsyplusle
3DS FC
2921-9568-4629
It's fine to rant. That's what the thread is for...or at least I think it is. It's totally messed up to fire someone just because they are an introvert. I am an introvert myself, so it was hard to make friends within my major. Unfortunately, I'm not of much help when it comes to mental stability as I don't recall having to ever experience that. My mom kind of went through that with her depression the last few months, and I felt completely helpless not knowing what to do. I felt guilty because I felt that my path (or lack thereof) is partly why she was going through that. The best I can do is to tell you to try hanging in there and that "there's a light at the end of the tunnel" even though you may not see it. However, it would probably bother you more because that seems to be what others have been doing, and you don't think it's helping much if at all.

Your parents should get the medication for you. If you fear that you might abuse it once you get it, an option would be to have your family (and possibly friends) regulate how you take it. I'm not sure if you have been studying by yourself since your friends haven't been studying with you, so I can't say much about that either. Anyways, hope I was of some help. If not, maybe knowing someone read the whole post could help...But what you are going through is definitely something people should not be laughing about. It's a pretty serious issue. Sometimes counselors may help, sometimes they aren't much help. In any case, I hope things will get better for you.
It helped a lot. Thank you so much.

Depression is weird, and I know a lot of people go through it for various different reasons from just mental stuff to triggers through work, friends, or their life in general, and most people that are depressed don't really grasp why they're feeling that way (Regardless of how much they think they understand the situation). Don't assume you have anything to do with it (regardless of what anyone (including her) says). Depression makes people think completely differently, and it makes them do things they wouldn't do when they're stable, so I wouldn't worry as much about the cause, because in the long run no one outside of a professional (if she's gone to one) would know the actual cause. Instead just be there for her. It's all you can really do, right? You went to school, you got an undergraduate degree, you're very willing to work, and you're building up experience through the unpaid/low pay internships, which will add up in the long run. Even if she's upset with your situation right now (which she will be, because depression kinda makes people look through life in the moment rather than long-term), you'll end up fixing it in the long run as long as you keep on taking internship opportunities and getting experience in your field.

Don't think you're the cause is what I'm trying to say, because you're probably not if we're being realistic. Yeah. That.

MewtwoMaster2002

ミュウツーマスター2002
3DS FC
2922-0496-2962
It helped a lot. Thank you so much.

Depression is weird, and I know a lot of people go through it for various different reasons from just mental stuff to triggers through work, friends, or their life in general, and most people that are depressed don't really grasp why they're feeling that way (Regardless of how much they think they understand the situation). Don't assume you have anything to do with it (regardless of what anyone (including her) says). Depression makes people think completely differently, and it makes them do things they wouldn't do when they're stable, so I wouldn't worry as much about the cause, because in the long run no one outside of a professional (if she's gone to one) would know the actual cause. Instead just be there for her. It's all you can really do, right? You went to school, you got an undergraduate degree, you're very willing to work, and you're building up experience through the unpaid/low pay internships, which will add up in the long run. Even if she's upset with your situation right now (which she will be, because depression kinda makes people look through life in the moment rather than long-term), you'll end up fixing it in the long run as long as you keep on taking internship opportunities and getting experience in your field.

Don't think you're the cause is what I'm trying to say, because you're probably not if we're being realistic. Yeah. That.
Thank you for all that. I'll continue to apply for internships, but I haven't been getting any responses...

Shadow the Past

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3711-8167-5215
So yesterday my friend from college (the girl I've talked about before) told me she was moving to Florida after this semester and probably not coming back. This pretty much came out of nowhere and really put me in a depressed mood the rest of the night, which didn't help with my studying. When we were saying our goodbyes at noon she was just casually walking away and said "see ya laterrrr", but then stopped herself and realised that she wouldn't, and came back and hugged me again. It was pretty comical, but it is seriously depressing and surreal to realise you're probably never going to see someone you care about again :/

Zink Imp

Smash Ace
So yesterday my friend from college (the girl I've talked about before) told me she was moving to Florida after this semester and probably not coming back. This pretty much came out of nowhere and really put me in a depressed mood the rest of the night, which didn't help with my studying. When we were saying our goodbyes at noon she was just casually walking away and said "see ya laterrrr", but then stopped herself and realised that she wouldn't, and came back and hugged me again. It was pretty comical, but it is seriously depressing and surreal to realise you're probably never going to see someone you care about again :/
That's life. only recently have I accepted that people I form connections with, even for a small time, will float away.
Which is why I really like social networking. So even if I cant see someone in person ever again, I can still catch up with what they're doing.

Thank you for all that. I'll continue to apply for internships, but I haven't been getting any responses...
That's all you can do at this point. Just keep trying. If you have nothing on your resume/nothing recent you should apply anywhere, no matter how crappy the place may seem. Anything is better than nothing. Where I work, we have a 27 intern who was so pleased to get the position, even though he's unpaid.

Last edited:

Shadow the Past

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3711-8167-5215
That's life. only recently have I accepted that people I form connections with, even for a small time, will float away.
Which is why I really like social networking. So even if I cant see someone in person ever again, I can still catch up with what they're doing.
Yeah, I've just never had to say goodbye to someone like that before, knowing I probably won't see them in person again. I've had friends float away, just never had to say goodbye knowing this was it.

She said we can still text and Snapchat and Skype and stuff, but still. Isn't quite the same.

Top Bottom