• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Unhappy Thread

T

Trick or Treat

I'm not going by any myth, I'm going by experience

That's really what happened. Every single time
There's two possibilities here, then. Either you're the one making it awkward/weird (basically not being able to handle just being friends, sorry to be blunt), OR you just have terrible luck and it's the other people who can't handle it, and make it awkward.

Hopefully it's the second one, and you start to get lucky (pun half-intended) soon.

Jon Farron

✧ The Healer ✧
Premium
love life sucks. There's someone that likes you but you don't like them. Then you like someone but that one doesnt like you.

I came in here to type pretty much the same thing. ugh

I got into a relationship with the 'there's someone that likes you but you don't like them" It's not that I don't like them, it's just not a practical relationship and would never really work out for various reasons. I feel trapped.

Chronodiver Lokii

Chaotic Stupid
BRoomer
my dad is making dad jokes
he cannot be stopped

i was just asking him 'what are you?!' because he was sending my sister goofy texts
his response?
a libra

IM ANGRIER THAN I SHOULD BE

Lore

Infinite Gravity
BRoomer
Well it's been ages since I've been here. I kinda got massively depressed and have been withdrawing from everyone and everything, so I need to change that. So I guess I'll come in here more again. Damn it's messy in here.

And huh. I just broke my Rei streak. Oh well!

T

Trick or Treat

Guy I have feelings for, one of my close friends, has been talking about moving in with his girlfriend and also marriage in the somewhat near future. Not like they'll get married this year, or anything, but just that they're even talking about it.

It stings.

When I get upset, I drown myself in sex and smoking (not cigarettes), and I don't want that to happen again. But it's tough not to get upset over this. I'm just a mess, actually. I've had feelings for other guys before, obviously, but some have quietly left my life, and others have used me, lied to me, lost interest in me, etc. But this current guy, he's the first guy (who I haven't friendzoned) that I actually know it'll be different with. The only thing really standing in the way is the fact that he's been dating her for 4 years now, and they're very committed.

:(

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
If you really, really, care for this guy you'll accept/respect his decision and move on. Then it boils down to whether or not it pains you too much to keep him around in your life or not.

I hope that you can reconcile your friendship with him amidst all of this. Losing out on love sucks, but it sucks even more to lose out on a good friend.

Smooth Criminal

Last edited:

Vashimus

Smash Master
Yes, if he's committed to a girl for 4 years, it's safe to say he's pretty deep in there and invested at this point. I wouldn't hold my breath.

T

Trick or Treat

Yeah, I know. I'm not expecting to get with him or anything. I've already accepted that. But that doesn't make it suck any less, nor do the feelings go away. Which is why I use other means as a distraction and it's all just blah.

It's rare to see people this committed at our age, honestly.

T

Trick or Treat

Last update, but things might have taken a not-so-great turn. One of my coworkers kinda figured out how I feel about the guy, and I'm worried that he'll tell him. Or he'll tell someone else who will tell him.
I'm not worried about my guy finding out, that much. But I just don't want him to think that, since we've been getting closer and talking a lot more, that it was because I like him. Because it's not. I didn't treat him or our friendship any differently due to that, so I can only hope he'll realize that.

I know to most of you this seems like nothing, and maybe I'm just being paranoid, but still.

Look, I'm a strong and straightforward girl, I usually don't get fazed by anything. But this is my one weakness, and it causes all of my toughness and independence to fall apart, lol. So that's why I'm reacting the way I am, unfortunately.

Vashimus

Smash Master
I'm not worried about my guy finding out, that much. But I just don't want him to think that, since we've been getting closer and talking a lot more, that it was because I like him. Because it's not. I didn't treat him or our friendship any differently due to that, so I can only hope he'll realize that.
I'm finding this hard to believe. If you like someone, you would want to have a closer relationship to them. It seems like you're afraid of the possibility of him cutting ties with you completely (probably to curb temptations because he is in a relationship) and are sticking with being the platonic friend so you won't scare him off. It's understandable, but it doesn't lead to happiness at the end. It's really for the best if you move on.

It's kind of hard for me to give proper advice in this scenario, since I'm used to seeing guys have this problem.

Last edited:
T

Trick or Treat

I'm finding this hard to believe. If you like someone, you would want to have a closer relationship to them. It seems like you're afraid of the possibility of him cutting ties with you completely (probably to curb temptations because he is in a relationship) and are sticking with being the platonic friend so you won't scare him off. It's understandable, but it doesn't lead to happiness at the end. It's really for the best if you move on.

It's kind of hard for me to give proper advice in this scenario, since I'm used to seeing guys have this problem.
Basically, yeah. I don't want him to think that our friendship, especially lately (since we've been talking and texting a lot more than usual recently), has been 'fake' in the sense that I'm only talking to him more because I like him. Believe it or not, but that isn't the case. Our friendship IS genuine. So yes, I'm worried that if he thinks like that, he will cut ties and not want to talk or hang out anymore. Trust me, I've completely accepted the fact that we won't end up together. I'm not trying or looking to get with him, or get in the way of their relationship and make him feel differently about me, nothing like that. Yes it does upset me at times, but I'm otherwise completely okay with being platonic friends and nothing more.

I just don't want to lose my friend to some stupid crush. I'll get over him for good soon enough, and move on to another guy, I'm not worried about that. But I want to still have him as a friend. So I can only hope that the other guy doesn't tell him, or if he does, that my guy won't really think anything of it and will know that our friendship is genuine. That's really my main worry.

I'm a panic-er. Panicker? ...I panic a lot.

Lore

Infinite Gravity
BRoomer
You should talk to the guy. I was in a similar situation with a taken girl last semester, and I flat out told her that I liked her but wasn't going to push it. Now, we're closer than ever. I've still got a slight crush on her, but judging by the girl I was cuddled up with Saturday night, I'm fine with seeing other people.

Chronodiver Lokii

Chaotic Stupid
BRoomer
baseball starts today and i dont have the password to my dad's itunes account
i use his account for one thing...our shared At Bat app (that MLB app)

MY TEAM PLAYS AT 3 THIS IS MAKING ME UNHAPPIER THAN IT SHOULD BE WHAT IS LIFE

i just have a lot of feelings about baseball

Dooms

KY/KP Joey
NNID
Doomsyplusle
3DS FC
2921-9568-4629
Hey guys. I need advice. Ranting in this thread has usually helped, so hopefully it can help me again.

I don't have a bad life. I have a loving family, a great boyfriend, supportive friends, and I'm being given so many opportunities for my major in college (music) and for my future career as a whole. Life should be pretty solid for me.

Yet I still feel this depression. It's pretty standard depression I think. Loss of focus, always tired, sad all the time, no motivation for anything at all, trouble sleeping, stuff like that. I assumed it would get better as the months progressed, but it hasn't. It's actually gotten worse. It went from a mild depression in late December to a pretty severe depression now, and it's still heading down hill. For the past month it has gotten in the way of classes & grades, my social life, all of my practice time, performances, my eating/sleeping habits, etc.

An example: I had a percussion competition followed by a band rehearsal last Saturday. During both of these events, I wasn't too bad in the slightest. I was able to socialize with the person driving me to and from these events, and the band rehearsal was pretty standard, so I was able to get through the music with no problems. There was a 20 minute wait between the end of the band rehearsal and the time my friend was supposed to pick me up and take me to a completely different rehearsal. In that 20 minute wait, I went from mildly sad to suicidal. During those 20 minutes, all I did was sit in a chair and thought about things. That's it, and it tore me apart mentally. When my friend picked me up, I couldn't say a word. I just sat there, not knowing what to do or say, feeling worse about myself as the ride progressed because I wasn't able to communicate with this great friend of mine that I love and trust so much. My friend tried to hold small conversation and throw jokes around every now and again, and I just couldn't respond, so he gave up after 10 minutes or so. After the car ride I was too distracted to do my musical things, I was completely clocked out mentally, and I ended up just giving up on doing things until the next day because I didn't know what to do at that point.

The general thing I have learned to do about this is to tell people about this in 1 on 1 conversation in order to get it off of my shoulders and to seek advice. I don't want to open up to more people in a 1 on 1 conversation than I already have for two reasons. The first being that I don't want to make my friends look at me in a different light when they see me every single day, and I wouldn't want them to worry about me, either. The other reason is because it generally hasn't helped me so far. When I try to bring it up to friends, I usually get 30 seconds to talk, then they try to tell me that it's normal for people to feel this way and that I will just need to tough through it. Everyone goes through times where they are upset, but look where they are now, right? I understand that this type of thing is probably normal, but if it's getting in the way of all of my daily activities and has made it difficult to live life for the past month, then I don't feel like I should be casting this away as something normal (even if it is).

The other things I've been told to do would be to "just enjoy life" and "do things you think are fun". I try resorting to things I did previously for fun, and none of them are fun anymore (well, at the current time at least). I sit down at my computer to play videogames and I leave angry and more upset than when I sat down. The only thing I really enjoy is being with friends at this point, but even then that's short term satisfaction and I feel more upset leaving the group of friends than when I first get there.

I'm clueless as to what to do about this. I'd say to tough through it, but it has only shown signs of getting worse, and it doesn't seem like there is too much room left for it to get worse at this point. After two months of getting counseling rescheduled because my school sucks, I'm having my first appointment tomorrow, so I'm hoping that will help. I know that people have gone through stuff like this before, so any advice on how to cope with this would be very helpful and appreciated. Thanks to anyone that reads this, and I hope you all have a wonderful week.

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
@ Dooms Dooms
I know people don't like hearing this as advice, but medication is a entirely viable option. If your emotional life doesn't really consist of ups and downs and more downs and deeper downs, especially in the face of things in your life being otherwise positive, then a pharmaceutical solution is probably warranted.

"Tough through it" doesn't really work when it's a question of brain chemistry. And, as it's already interfering with the things in your life that would normally boost your mood (social life, successful academics, healthy habits), you need something to break the cycle. I know the thought of medicating your life to fix things can seem kind of sucky, but it's definitely worth a try... and when things feel better, you can try weening off the meds. Right now, though, you're in an important part of your life and it would be a shame to let dumb chemicals get in the way when you should be forming bright, new memories.

victra♥

crystal skies
Slippi.gg
victra#0
I am an engineering graduate with no engineering employment experience (I worked as an instructor at my university over the summers instead)

I have had a few interviews over the past few months but have not had any call backs, and today I was once again rejected from a position I was extremely interested in.

Entry-level positions requiring experience, can't get experience without entry-level positions. THE STRUGGLE IS REAL.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
For most of my life I felt if I worked hard things would get better, even if they weren't

Now I seem to not have any hope that things will get better, though I still try to work hard.

Eventually I wonder if I'll just give up completely.

Dooms

KY/KP Joey
NNID
Doomsyplusle
3DS FC
2921-9568-4629
@ Dooms Dooms
I know people don't like hearing this as advice, but medication is a entirely viable option. If your emotional life doesn't really consist of ups and downs and more downs and deeper downs, especially in the face of things in your life being otherwise positive, then a pharmaceutical solution is probably warranted.

"Tough through it" doesn't really work when it's a question of brain chemistry. And, as it's already interfering with the things in your life that would normally boost your mood (social life, successful academics, healthy habits), you need something to break the cycle. I know the thought of medicating your life to fix things can seem kind of sucky, but it's definitely worth a try... and when things feel better, you can try weening off the meds. Right now, though, you're in an important part of your life and it would be a shame to let dumb chemicals get in the way when you should be forming bright, new memories.
Medication was what I was thinking, but I was told that I needed a diagnosis before I could get some medication. My therapist told me today though that she recommended me to a psychiatric service thingy that will see if I need medication, so I'll be sure to make an appointment there! Thank you! :)

Shadow the Past

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3711-8167-5215
They banned both Primewire.ag and putlocker at my local library. *******. Yeah I'm just gonna have to get my computer fixed, accessing the computer through other means is just not working anymore.
You could try getting a proxy like Ultrasurf, it'll let you get past all their silly web page blocks and whatnot. I used it while I was in highschool, was very effective in letting me play games during class.

So I guess I should complain about something, lol. I met this girl about a year ago in one of my digital art classes. We sat right next to each other, and we talked/flirted for about the enitre semester, although our sense of flirting was making sexual innuendos as much as possible. However, midway through the semester I added her on Facebook and found out she's in a relationship, and has been for a long time. So I'm still going crazy over this girl, and on the last day of the class I offer to go eat food at the cafeteria, then offered to come back to my dorm, which she agreed. One thing led to another, we wound up cuddling, and right as she's leaving we make out. So then summer rolls around, I'm now moved back home living 200 miles away from here, and we spend the entire summer flirting like crazy, meanwhile she and her boyfriend go on and off two or three times. August rolls around, and I'm hella excited to finally get to see her again, and literally a week before college starts, she gets engaged. This was literally out of nowhere, like they were broken up, then suddenly he's asking her to marry him, lol. So then we go through the fall semester, we get kinda distant, don't text/hang out as much, etc. Come January, she now lives on campus (literally can see her dorm when I walk outside). I invite her over randomly for help on some project. Once again, one thing leads to another and we wind up cuddling/making out. So now I'm thinking I've got another chance with her, and a week later she breaks up with her fiance. Now I try to talk to her again, try to hang out, etc. but now she seems to have a habit of ignoring my texts/avoid hanging out with me (she says she has her phone on silent now, but ehhhhh). Now I can obviously take a hint, but she's still sending me mixed signals. One day she'll barely make eye contact with me to say "Hi" before turning around to talk to a guy I think she likes, then the next day she'll be posting a "Truth is" thing on my Facebook wall saying she loves me to death and that we need to hang out more. I've also talked to my friends about this and they're equally confused by her mixed messages. Now she seems to spend almost every day with this one guy whom has physical features that I know she likes (long black hair, tattoos, piercings, etc.), and they regularly do movie marathons or something, so I'd hate to think what's going on there.

I guess the ****ty part is the fact that I've had my mind 100% set on this -taken- girl for an entire year, spent all this time waiting, and just wound up getting cast aside. Now I'm just trying to distance myself from her, which was not easy to do at first.

Edit: She told me this morning that now she's together with the guy I mentioned above. So I guess that's that lol

Last edited:

Chronodiver Lokii

Chaotic Stupid
BRoomer
The fact that you are 1. seeing a therapist and 2. willing to seek help for yourself is a great sign

just keep going to the therapist/psychiatrist soon? : O and focus on making yourself feel better c:

best of luck, friend n__n you got this!

Daftatt

"float like a puffball, sting like a knee"
NNID
Daftatt
smashboards keeps giving me server errors... Imma go strangle a goldfish now.

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
I can't access my social group. So many dead goldfish.
Which one?

But, to try, are you sure you're a member (try checking the roster, they won't allow those who aren't in)? It could be an error in that.

Last edited:

Daftatt

NNID
Daftatt
Which one?

But, to try, are you sure you're a member (try checking the roster, they won't allow those who aren't in)? It could be an error in that.
No, it's my local smash group, Olympia Smashers, I started the group and it's the only group under the project M section. I can still get into the 3DSA

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
No, it's my local smash group, Olympia Smashers, I started the group and it's the only group under the project M section. I can still get into the 3DSA
Eh, could just be the site.

BTW how is the 3DSA these days? Last time I checked, it was a desert.

Daftatt

NNID
Daftatt
Eh, could just be the site.

BTW how is the 3DSA these days? Last time I checked, it was a desert.
Getting better, there isn't much interest in the 3DSmash scene in the "Smash 4 Backroom" forum. But I for one plan on playing the hell out of 3DSmash4. We are just discussing how we are going to organize tournaments, in relation to fiscal hurdles to get streaming up and going. Each TO would need a capture-board installed on a 3DS so we could stream tourneys, and hopefully smash4 has a replay feature so we can run the 3DS tournaments like pokemon tournaments and only need one streaming device to show matches on delay. Also, we are thinking that matchmaking is going to utilize miiverse in some way, which is the most daft smash community in existence right now, so somehow we will have to tame that melting pot. Both of the backrooms are largely vapid right now since the game doesn't exist to play yet so we can't really discuss anything excluding preemptive speculation and planning (such as what to do if there is another Meta Knight fiasco)

Shadow the Past

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3711-8167-5215
So I got a tablet since I'm learning how to draw... And now windows won't boot. **** everything.
Is it blue screening, or does it simply make it past the Dell (or whatever product it is) screen before just shutting back down, or something else?

Sorry, gotta ask these questions haha, I troubleshoot PC's now and again.

Lore

Infinite Gravity
BRoomer
I believe it's an issue with the driver. It blue screened once, and now it refuses to boot and instead goes to the option to do a system repair. I would use the system repair disk, but I don't want to risk it messing up my Ubuntu and storage partitions.

The error displayed says something about not being able to reach the required hardware or something. Nothing hardware-wise is messed up because I can boot to grub and then Ubuntu with no difficulty whatsoever.

BaPr

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1091-9057-0681
My fortune cookie had no fortune... :c

What's the point of anything anymore?
That happened to me when I was little and my older sister told me that I was going to die soon, so I didn't have a future.

Last edited:

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
Sorry, I had to go somewhere on a short notice.
Getting better, there isn't much interest in the 3DSmash scene in the "Smash 4 Backroom" forum. But I for one plan on playing the hell out of 3DSmash4.
Ah.
But, coming from someone like me, I kind of expect that.
For one, this is the first Smash we've gotten on a handheld console. So it's kinda expected.
We don't know how this will turn out. For all we know, it could just be a side project.
But remember, the Wii U also has it's problems (especially with wireless controllers.)

We are just discussing how we are going to organize tournaments, in relation to fiscal hurdles to get streaming up and going. Each TO would need a capture-board installed on a 3DS so we could stream tourneys, and hopefully smash4 has a replay feature so we can run the 3DS tournaments like pokemon tournaments and only need one streaming device to show matches on delay.
Remember what Capps said? Even something as simple as a camera in a shoebox could work.
Maybe we could do is have one of the players put the capture card on their DS.

Also, we are thinking that matchmaking is going to utilize miiverse in some way, which is the most daft smash community in existence right now, so somehow we will have to tame that melting pot.
Good luck with that. Miiverse IMO is far worse than GameFAQs. If it helps, I have a Miiverse account, so if you need someone, I can help.

Both of the backrooms are largely vapid right now since the game doesn't exist to play yet so we can't really discuss anything excluding preemptive speculation and planning (such as what to do if there is another Meta Knight fiasco)
Honestly, what you guys should do first is make a ruleset.
Find out using past experiences what would make a character too good. Then go from there.
Then, establish how far? How far is "broken"? How bad should a character be before you call them "broken".

Last edited:
Top Bottom