• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Unhappy Thread

Arbuckle

Smash Rookie
I tried claiming my unemployment benefits on Friday and I was denied because the source of the claim originated outside of America, it looks like my perfect vacation is now over and I have no source of income until I return to America. All things considering it's not too bad, but it is still very disheartening.

I came home to my native country to avoid paying rent while I finally learnt how to drive, but somewhere along the way it did kinda turn into a vacation.
u f***kn wot m8

Unemployment is supposed to be enough to get you by while you FIND ANOTHER JOB. What makes you think it would be ok to be in another country and get money from the US government while not even looking for another job?

Teran

Through Fire, Justice is Served
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
It's because of stuff like this that the general populace resents good hearted government acts like the benefits/welfare system.

It's also why that system is super inefficient, costly, and full of red tape.

This also makes it a lot more difficult for the people that actually need/deserve the money. Those people then end up resenting the government and bureaucracy, and more likely to become government fund cheats out of spite in the future. Yup.

Froggy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3110-7430-0100
I think people kinda took the wrong thing form what I said.

The reason I went back home was to help my career. I won't be able move forward in my career unless I get a drivers license(it's a big deal in my field.) and I didn't have enough money to afford paying rent, I stated in this thread months ago that I wanted to stay in America but no one up there was in a position to house me. This isn't the case of a freeloader abusing the system. And in any case it's in the past, time to get on that work grind again.

Jon Farron

✧ The Healer ✧
Premium
Is it just me, or are the forums REAAAAAAAAALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLYYYYYYYYYYYY SLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOW?

Chronodiver Lokii

Chaotic Stupid
BRoomer
Legally, unemployment cannot be collected unless you are within the country, no exceptions :/ it sucks, and I hope you are able to get everything figured out ASAP so stuff will be less stressful

KRDsonic

Smash Master
*Looks at the previous pages* That... made me laugh. I've gotten really into the band Bad Religion lately. To the point where I've been listening to lots of their live performances and watching several interviews with the band members.

Their singer (aka band leader pretty much) said himself that the logo isn't supposed to be an anti-religion thing, but rather, "you won't find religion here, we are not religious, so look elsewhere." They made that logo back when they were in high school.

In other news, I'm still looking for a job. I'm hoping to get something soon. Ideally I'd want something that will provide health insurance, but the chances of getting something like that for my first job seems like it'd be low.

:059:

Froggy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3110-7430-0100
Legally, unemployment cannot be collected unless you are within the country, no exceptions :/ it sucks, and I hope you are able to get everything figured out ASAP so stuff will be less stressful
Ikr that's a damn shame. Anyways uploaded my resume to monster and I'm on the search for jobs again. yipee

Arbuckle

Smash Rookie
I think people kinda took the wrong thing form what I said.

The reason I went back home was to help my career. I won't be able move forward in my career unless I get a drivers license(it's a big deal in my field.) and I didn't have enough money to afford paying rent, I stated in this thread months ago that I wanted to stay in America but no one up there was in a position to house me. This isn't the case of a freeloader abusing the system. And in any case it's in the past, time to get on that work grind again.
What career would that be? You tryin to be a truck driver or something? Why do you need to leave the US to learn how to drive? Why would you get a driver's license in another country to pursue a career involving driving in the US? I'm still not sure why you think it would be ok for you to try to collect unemployment from the US while in another country when it's money to get you by while you look for another job in the US. Why would you get money to buy you food and pay rent when you aren't paying rent in the US? What were you even spending this on?

How did you get to this foreign country? Did you pay for a plane ticket or did the person over there pay for your ticket? Why weren't you on the search for a job this whole time?

Froggy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3110-7430-0100
What career would that be? You tryin to be a truck driver or something? Why do you need to leave the US to learn how to drive? Why would you get a driver's license in another country to pursue a career involving driving in the US? I'm still not sure why you think it would be ok for you to try to collect unemployment from the US while in another country when it's money to get you by while you look for another job in the US. Why would you get money to buy you food and pay rent when you aren't paying rent in the US? What were you even spending this on?

How did you get to this foreign country? Did you pay for a plane ticket or did the person over there pay for your ticket? Why weren't you on the search for a job this whole time?
Let me preempt this by saying that I don't owe you a damn explanation and your haughty attitude is annoying.

I'm a GIS technician, and a large part of the industry is field verification in which case I would need to drive in to the field to ensure my data is accurate. The concept of not being able to collect benefits in a foreign country still seems contrived to me, I'm a U.S citizen who worked in the U.S. why should it matter if I decide to visit another country, I am still coming back to the U.S. Then again I'm not sure why it surprises me that the U.S government is selfish with their money, can't blame tbh.

I left the US. to avoid paying rent while I wasn't working and was instead learning how to drive, it seemed like an absolute waste of money to me. My mom paid for my ticket both ways.

Falconv1.0

Smash Master
Oh gee, so selfish with all the money it doesn't really have. You know when you say "the government" you're really saying "taxpayers". You know, people with jobs who don't want to fund your ****ing vacation?

Jon Farron

✧ The Healer ✧
Premium
Why is every attacking Froggy? >.>

His "vacation" is living with his parents while learning how to drive in order to get a job. I don't see what's wrong with that. He IS an American citizen, his parents just happen to live in another country. Why would you pay for rent if your parents were going to buy you a plane ticket to come stay with them until everything is sorted out?

Teran

Through Fire, Justice is Served
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
People pay tax?

Hahahaha noobs irl.

Falconv1.0

Smash Master
His "vacation" is living with his parents while learning how to drive in order to get a job. I don't see what's wrong with that. He IS an American citizen, his parents just happen to live in another country. Why would you pay for rent if your parents were going to buy you a plane ticket to come stay with them until everything is sorted out?
Why would he deserve ****ing unemployment benefits if he's not paying rent and not in the country? It seems like your criteria for what constitutes needing these benefits is "Are you alive and unemployed? Good, here have some free money".

Edit-And we're attacking him for the same reasons people attack you. The **** he says makes our eyes bleed a little bit.

Jon Farron

✧ The Healer ✧
Premium
I don't know if you've been in this situation, but the unemployment money isn't all that much. When my Dad was without a job for almost a year, it was just enough to barely pay our house payment and a few groceries. Many of our family friends often had to pitch in to help buy groceries, clothes, etc.

If we had the option to move in with another family member or w/e until my dad found a job we probably would've. Instead of paying for rent, he can instead use the little money he gets for more important things. He is STILL an American citizen, just staying with his parents thta live in a different country in the meantime.

@Teran, you do know taxes automatically get deducted from your paycheck right? And the taxes you pay when you purchase something etc, etc.

Chronodiver Lokii

Chaotic Stupid
BRoomer
But there is only so much unemployment to go around in reality
If you aren't in the country, it makes sense that you cannot collect it. It's meant to pay bills and food and hold you over somehow until you find employment
But the system is horribly exploited

Froggy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3110-7430-0100
Why is every attacking Froggy? >.>

Thanks. I think the backlash is near silly. My only fault here is that my parents happen to live in a foreign country, to think that this would be ok if my parents lived in new York instead of elsewhere makes it all seem kind of dumb.

But there is only so much unemployment to go around in reality
If you aren't in the country, it makes sense that you cannot collect it. It's meant to pay bills and food and hold you over somehow until you find employment
But the system is horribly exploited
I am in no way exploiting the system. I'm still an unemployed American Citizen who needs unemployment benefits to move forward with my life. You think I'm scum because my parents happen to live in foreign territory?

Chronodiver Lokii

Chaotic Stupid
BRoomer
I never said that
You're assuming incorrectly

I never said YOU were exploiting the system
I never said you were scum

I was saying there are people out there who did not earn unemployment yet still continue to collect it time and time again without searching for a job at all. You are searching for a job and do not collect unemployment. So I was not referring to you.

Froggy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3110-7430-0100
That's an incredibly loose take on the word "needs".
Right, because you can see my bank account as well as all the bills I have to pay? Quit talking out of your ass.

And Lokii, sorry I misunderstood your post.

In other news it looks like my relationship is ending with one of my close friends. We only recently got back in contact with each other, but I think it's become clear enough that we're just meant to be close friends with each other. I'll pray for her and then text her the rest of my feelings tomorrow.

Chronodiver Lokii

Chaotic Stupid
BRoomer
My unhappy post:
I suddenly have a deep feeling of just pure anxiety
I'm just so worn down physically and mentally
I just want to sleep and forget about school and stress and bills.........

Falconv1.0

Smash Master
Right, because you can see my bank account as well as all the bills I have to pay?
No sir but I'm pretty sure if you have parents who can pay for a trip to a different country so you can avoid paying rent, you're already in a more comfy position than a ****ton of people. I'd think someone who needs benefits probably wouldn't be doing anything resembling a "perfect vacation" (YOUR WORDS NOT MINE).

Quit talking out of your ***.
That is simply impossible and never going to happen ever.

Froggy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3110-7430-0100
Look at that. Here I was blaming my friend for the breakdown in our relationship and being ungrateful, but when she explains it I see her perfectly valid point. It's amazing how you can be oblivious to how bad you're being until someone points it out to you.

Froggy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3110-7430-0100
A recruiter contacted me for a 3 month job in Florida and I told him i wasn't interested. Kinda regretting that now, I should have least found out how much it payed before I said no. Getting any job right now would put my mind at ease and it would be so friggen cool to finally get away from the cold.

Jon Farron

✧ The Healer ✧
Premium
You should've said yes... then while you at least HAVE a job, still look for other jobs for once the employment ends.

Froggy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3110-7430-0100
You should've said yes... then while you at least HAVE a job, still look for other jobs for once the employment ends.
I agree with you. But you do need to keep in mind how much it costs to relocate vs such a short duration of employment.

I may or may not call the recruiter tomorrow and tell him I am interested.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
It cost my friends $5000 to move across the country when they did

Jon Farron

✧ The Healer ✧
Premium
I agree with you. But you do need to keep in mind how much it costs to relocate vs such a short duration of employment.

I may or may not call the recruiter tomorrow and tell him I am interested.
Oh, I forgot about that. ._.

Froggy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3110-7430-0100
The traffic in this thread is too slow, I want to hear about someone else' problem so I can feel better about my life.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
My life is perfect besides the fact I didn't hook up with some girl I wanted to. It's been 2 months since than though so I'm pretty much over it.

Froggy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3110-7430-0100
WTF? I am 460 characters into my text and my phone freezes. kmdt.

edit: ****ing phone just turned off. It's never done that before, I'm having an important convo too.

And look all my contacts are gone. I'm sorry for sinning today God.

Holder of the Heel

Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
NNID
Roarfang
3DS FC
1332-7720-7283
Switch FC
6734-2078-8990
Well Froggy, you're just about the only person who uses this place as a journal to talk about each and every negative aspect in their life. Not judging here, but that would be why the traffic is too slow for you.

I could write something long I guess. I'm not one of those people who get very lonely when they are alone. Loneliness stems from the idea of others, a disparity between them and yourself. I don't usually experience this when alone because for the most part I just float on by and don't have any issues. But recently I went out and "reunited" with a couple of people I knew when going to a convention. That disparity between myself and others, be it strangers, or even those who I have known about and went with, made a loneliness that was pretty hard to ignore. Just as last convention, the Saturday, the longest convention day, I left early without them.

One of three people I was "reunited" with was an ex of mine that I broke up with because I felt that she wasn't emotionally invested in us, which at the time was pretty much the thing I valued more than anything. We didn't really "click" or anything at the convention, the way I am makes that kind of difficult, and we barely were even around each other to begin with. That being said, there were times that we were somewhat affectionate toward each other, and she brought up that her boyfriend broke up with her (not very sure that she was trying to make that aware to me, pointless to ponder though). I don't exactly have those emotions that I had back when I dated her, the only thing that remains is kind of residual stirrings that reside where the previous flame burned.

All that being said, I wonder if it would be a good idea to establish some sort of "relationship". One of the friends I went with, the night he was driving me home on Friday, asked me if I had feelings for her. This wasn't so random because she was being affectionate earlier in the car. After the experience of the first day of the con, I felt that distance between myself and others, it was thrown in my face after a long time of turning my back to it. And when the friends I went with chatted away, I felt they had formed a ring, and that I was outside of it. They weren't putting me there nor did they intend to, but I put myself there by feeling alien and unnecessary for that ring.

It was partly also because much of the discussion: anime, manga, and video games, although all things that I enjoy (in fact, I don't enjoy much else), they were things that they had a much stronger passion for. Not only in history, but in remembrance. Things that oneself finds worth something they tend to remember, even if they don't have a strong memory. Even though I of course like things, I'm a human, some things are bound to interest me, but the difference in this regard between us is that I just had no passion. My existence floating by, reality and things sliding through my finger tips. I didn't grate along reality, but that's because it made little impression. It's like life, as it rubs by, gradually dulls my mind more and more, my memory growing worse and worse. This is particularly bad in terms of trying to not feel lonely among others, because memories, conscious or subconscious, are what make us distinct, and therefore make us like and unlike one another, and allow for connections.

But anyway, my thoughts as of right now are whether or not it'd be smart to pursue connecting with her in these means. I want to have things that I feel that are worth remembering, and maybe I can be more distinct and make connections with others. And maybe I can feel a part of a ring. I just would like a place, somewhere to belong. Of course a part of me knows that if being alone is fine with me, there is no point in destroying myself, but I understand that not only can I get benefits out of changing, but living in this epicurean NEET-like bubble is potentially dangerous for my future. A part of my understands that it might not even work, hell, if I am weaker to change than anticipated, it might make me fold in on myself even more. A part of me is kind of scared of destroying myself. I'm not particularly attached to the way I am after all this time, in fact that in itself would be out of character with the way I am. But I'm afraid I might lose something along the way, on the road to defining myself. But it isn't too frightening. There is something perfect about a blank page that makes it scary for me to ruin, and I've always hated the process of filling a blank page. Sometimes when looking at a page filled, I am very unhappy with it, but it is never because it isn't a blank page, but because it wasn't filled as I wished it would have been. So it is scary, but if I feel that a filled page could be more satisfying than a blank one then... I don't know.

At any rate, although written in the "unhappy" thread, the above paragraphs aren't to be taken in a depressing manner. Just expressing thoughts of uncertainty.

Chronodiver Lokii

Chaotic Stupid
BRoomer
I'm in a rut
I am stressed with my workload but cannot will myself to do anything anymore since I feel burnt out. But, that stresses me out more and makes me want to get stuff done...but then I get more apathetic

I don't know what's wrong and it's ****ing scary
I feel so alone
I just...I dunno.....
I just want to feel okay again.

I don't like feeling like I have no control over my emotions. I know I can control how I feel and act.....but then I just feel so overwhelmed that I slip up and suddenly everything is out of my control

I'm scared. I'm sincerely scared. I just want someone to hug me and tell me it's okay, but the only people I'd trust to be that close are back in Ohio and I won't be able to see them for another week

And all this is just over stupid stuff in my opinion....
I just

I dunno
I just hurt. I'm tired. I just want to feel normal again

Edit: and somehow just after I post this something happy thread worthy happened. Just
I'm speechless and crying happy tears now and I'm confused and disoriented and need sleep
Gah wtf to much emotions for one night

Top Bottom