• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The UK Thread: Latest News/Players/Tournaments [London monthly!] [Leicester monthly!]

VA

Smash Hero
old school sdb? you mean like qwester, sos, lk, etc... ?

oh and charles only gets stick when he beats us at national events lol. abroad hes english so gets our full support, when hes taking out frenchies, germans. dutchies etc..
Like we've already discussed (at length) there's a difference between support and bum licking.

COEY

Smash Lord
how do you think joe got so 'in' with most of the community in the first place? it took him over 2 years to be considered decent lol. that with his gift of the gab. your one of the few individuals like myself who can see through it :p

charles is a great player tho, and my guess is that joe just wanted to give him some more encouragement to motivate him to get even better.

moving on tho is anyone hosting anything soon? i might be able to get a day off and now i have a wage coming i can probably get anywhere in the country if im given enough warning.

COEY

Smash Lord
haha could barely short hop when we went to our first tourney :p somehow i still got 3rd in pools :s

J03

Smash Master
haha **** you robby when you joined the scene was actually decent, when we joined the scene was full of terrible people who had no clue, so getting better was hard as hell. Although you maintain you can get better solely by practising, BS btw, also boring as hell, i maintain that i dont care ROFL

im pretty much on my last legs coz smash is amazing and ****e at the same time. Great game, ****e people. nowdays being right = being loud and obnoxious basically being a **** is considered being normal, GG to all who let it happen. All in all, being right is all that matters, noone actually wants the scene to improve, just themselves and their mates.

Shoutouts to EVERY member of SDB over the years, Robby and Swizzy, Edwin, Charles, TC (too nice a guy, wish you well in life mate), the tesco crew espescially j3ly (<3 you man) deathgazer (too good wish i know you earlier) and Bishkin (keep it up and lemme know if your ever up North), Rage and frustration, all the NW, including the Scots (even Euan xD) had a great laugh and really helped me grow as a person. I'll be at SNY1 for sure, gutted life is to demanding for me to care about games =/.

Sorry if ive forgotten anyone, im mega drunk lol

VA

Smash Hero
don't post here drunk.

m2k got better by practicing alone. So **** off everyone who has anything else to say on that matter.

COEY

Smash Lord
got free house from tomorrow joe you wreck head. just let us kno if your free, offers open to all tbh just i doubt anyone else is available at this short notice.

Yeniths

East Midlands!
I have practiced alone also since I started Smash really lol, I do play people but I dont have a training partner or anything like that, and yes I have got better LOL

J03

Smash Master
would ****ing love it mate but i gotta revise solid tomoz for exam on monday. you gotta meet dazs brother hes proper class, had to convince his mate to not piss in a coppers hat for 20 ****ing minutes, he wasnt even joking coz hes a nob, but an amazing nob ROFL

robby your opinion is too good that noone else can compete! so ill **** off then BYEEE xxx roflcopter i actually do love you though wish we lived near eachother coz your a guaranteed laugh =D. Id say good luck in life and all but im pretty sure we'll stay in mild contact whether you want us to or not xD.

COEY

Smash Lord
m2k got better by practicing alone. So **** off everyone who has anything else to say on that matter.
my god you cant make such a statement and then cover your ears (eyes w/e). tho not wanting another agruement filling this thread i shall also **** off.

hows life robby?

VA

Smash Hero
I wasn't being shouty and serious people just assume that I'm mad.

I'm good. Continuing to improve alone, as usual :)

Yeniths

East Midlands!
All good thanks man, just got back from Corfu and finished till Sept to which is nice. Looking forward to Kone living near me come then lol, have a training partner lol.

All good with you?

COEY

Smash Lord
yea man thanks, just got new job which is going well. nice to have money back in my pocket. you uni students dont know how lucky you got it.

whenever ed's settled i'll make sure to come down see you.

suppose if joes quitting it falls on me to sort some sort of semi often fests, cant have NW falling behind WM, EM or god forbid scotland!

this week would have perfect too :/

grayfox

Smash Champion
Two points, the uk scene wasn't TERRIBLE when Joe etc showed up, Doug was still around, character like Paul and Charles were starting to get very good and the uk as a whole wasn't a compete joke in Europe (usually had 2 or 3 people in the top 10).

Also, M2K did improve a lot by practising himself but i remember when he first started going to tourneys and he was just a tech head who got ***** by Wes at every fest. He did then go to A LOT of fests and thats when he got good (and thats a lot of fests playing with DA and H2YL).

Otherwise stellar thread as always BANTER!

COEY

Smash Lord
lol ryan, i just didnt want to start another ****ing arguement.

i was hoping i might bait you in when i mentioned scotland in my post ^_^

grayfox

Smash Champion
ROFL aye didn't even see that post when I wrote mine, I'd be all over it if I did.

In all seriousness the new Scottish lads are probably the best new prospects in the uk and they came about when the rest of us stopped giving a **** how huge is that?

grayfox

Smash Champion
On off interest for about that long aye, can't believe its been that long. Still interested in a Euro tourney now though, couldn't care less about smash but the experience is almost always worth the effort.

COEY

Smash Lord
id be interested in going abroad, though id also like the chance to show off my luigi :) then just og fox and camp lasers all tourney...

J03

Smash Master
ryan man, the scene you knew does not even compare in any way at all to the modern scene. its a joke to even think it does.

you still got the millions of minnows rofl but the top 10 is like pokemons elite 4, the difference is staggering

grayfox

Smash Champion
I didn't try to compare it to the modern scene. I said it wasn't terrible. Relative to the time the uk was actually pretty decent. The same way east coast wasn't terrible when m2k was getting good, it was the best at the time. But that scene compared to east coast now would get stomped obviously, but I don't see m2k complaining about his scene being terrible when he started and he would be foolish to do so, same way it would be foolish to think the past compares to the present.

grayfox

Smash Champion
the uk always kinda sucked, all I was saying is that it's no excuse to say Robby came into a superior scene because when you joined the scene was probably reletively better (for Doug if nothing else).

J03

Smash Master
sorry ryan my main point was that the scene is socially terrible without any respect, replaced with arrogance. Basically the few spoil it for the many, tbh my view is tainted coz everyone i was mates with quit so theres nothing really left to keep me interested other then wanting to win and improve, and my interest in that died a long time ago haha

grayfox

Smash Champion
Oh right I took it as a skill based scene, socially the scenes are worlds apart.

I'm also the same on the motivation of sticking around, this place used to be really fun I'd look forward to checking the boards every day.

Professor Pro

Smash Legend
sorry ryan my main point was that the scene is socially terrible without any respect, replaced with arrogance. Basically the few spoil it for the many, tbh my view is tainted coz everyone i was mates with quit so theres nothing really left to keep me interested other then wanting to win and improve, and my interest in that died a long time ago haha
If people want to be social then people should make an effort.
Seperate parties can't get in the way of relationship between other people.

This community has never been mainly social based, I think that's mostly a community choice rather then individuals ceasing it happening.

VA

Smash Hero
Two points, the uk scene wasn't TERRIBLE when Joe etc showed up, Doug was still around, character like Paul and Charles were starting to get very good and the uk as a whole wasn't a compete joke in Europe (usually had 2 or 3 people in the top 10).

Also, M2K did improve a lot by practising himself but i remember when he first started going to tourneys and he was just a tech head who got ***** by Wes at every fest. He did then go to A LOT of fests and thats when he got good (and thats a lot of fests playing with DA and H2YL).

Otherwise stellar thread as always BANTER!
The scene is no different than it ever was socially or whatever, for me anyway. UK boards died ages with profs trolling. I told everyone it would happen but because I was the focus of it no one cared. NOW LOOK WHAT HAPPENED, I'VE TURNED INTO OLD PROF BUT LESS FUNNY.

I have always done the same thing since I've started. I practice alone/with the people I like playing the game with. Then if I feel like I need some experience against other players I'll travel to get it. Tournament experience can only be gained in one way. So outside the actual experience that you need, the best form of practice is as follows:

1) get all your basic tech skill down (solo)
2) play your friends
3) practice more complicated tech skill (solo)
4) try out strange situational uses of your tech on your friends
5) go to tournament and find out your weaknesses
6) go home and work on what you were doing wrong on your friends

Repeat

All the while I would be watching videos and learning situational uses of attacks. Stuff that I can think of that I learn from vids are stupid things like
bthrow > wdash back > (they miss the tech) jab reset with IC's.

I saw chu do it once and I remember it. Furthermore I remember the %'s and stage location that attack strings are used. These things have been vital in my improving. Knowledge is key. I have some of the most detailed knowledge of this game in the UK. It helps.

In terms of the top 10 being elite don't make jokes. The top 4 are unbeaten outside themselves, the rest remain beatable within their own ranks. There is no definitive top 10 list anyway.

Jo3 --->

For me the game is about competing. I enjoy it most when I play it with my friends or I'm winning in tournament. If you don't care about competing in smash and dislike everyone who plays it doesn't seem wise to continue now does it. I was joking before when I said quit but it feels like posting it up is asking for people to tell you not to quit (like I did when prof said he'd quit). Tbh if you're going to talk before tournaments about beating me then lose to someone I double 3 stocked then I'd say you're not getting as far as you'd like. Maybe it's not conducive to feeling good about yourself? Meh xD

Top Bottom