• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Tunes Official Crew Thread - Legit the best crew in the world.

slikvik

Smash Master
**** MD/VA. I have no region. no really...

starcock

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Starcock
Actually, this should clear scar of any wrongdoing

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-G8rDBIk38&feature=related
**** man, this cleared everything up. (It made me giggle), but seriously, If scar had a problem, he shouldn't of hid it like he did, he should of clearly told us all; that he had the lack of thumbs and was unable to help Mufasa. Now, how he got the ***** hanging off a cliff in the first place, makes me still feel that he isn't completly innocent. His hobbies include, tricking cubs into thinking he had a surprise.....ok, let me not get into detail, the pain still hurts, I will never get over it.

I wouldn't have a problem, if he would have just apologized earlier, but now....sadly... http://youtube.com/watch?v=ePyRrb2-fzs&feature=related

Mew2King

King of the Mews
Cinnaminson (southwest NJ 5 min drive from Philly)
kashif just because spacing is key doesn't mean that the shield grab strategy isn't supremely broken. I'm fine at spacing, and I know what I'm talking about smashwise. Brawl is a campy game that campers love. I'm a semi camper but I don't have fun doing overextreme camping, and with things such as attack power deteriation, it ENCOURAGES period projectile camping to make your other moves stronger again.

it's like saying lasers aren't broken because you can powershield them, they are obviously better than most other things, very spammable, and very good, and that makes it broken.

Scar

#HarveyDent
No matter how many times I tell Jason SPACING IS KEY after he says and says "Shieldgrabbing is broken", he doesn't listen. He's flat out lying. I'm not going to argue with him.
LMAOOOOOO that's how I feel every time I talk to you ever. btw. Notice the 5 or 6 posts agreeing with Jason immediately after he says what he says. There is a reason everyone thinks the same way besides you.

Pakman

WWMD
BRoomer
We have Jason on our side. Out of all the people who have a desire to find competitive merit in this game, M2K has to have close to the greatest drive to find it. He also has the extremely analytical mind needed to find tactics and strategies that make the game competitive.

What I am basically trying to say is: If Jason, the 00video game god00 himself, thinks brawl isn't competitive, then it probably isn't.

teh_spamerer

Smash Master
kashif just because spacing is key doesn't mean that the shield grab strategy isn't supremely broken. I'm fine at spacing, and I know what I'm talking about smashwise. Brawl is a campy game that campers love. I'm a semi camper but I don't have fun doing overextreme camping, and with things such as attack power deteriation, it ENCOURAGES period projectile camping to make your other moves stronger again.

it's like saying lasers aren't broken because you can powershield them, they are obviously better than most other things, very spammable, and very good, and that makes it broken.
Everyone's shield gets weak A LOT faster now. Everyone basically has Marth's shieldgrab now, and by that I mean an awful shield but you can mindlessly press the A button if your opponent messes up their spacing by a little bit. Your shield has to exist to block your opponent's attack and then grab them because they spaced BADLY.

No, it's NOT like saying lasers aren't broken because you can powershield them. It's like saying Marth's shieldgrab in melee isn't broken. All you have to do is space a BEAUTIFUL back air and he can't punish you.

DCScribZ

Smash Apprentice
doesn't someone/some people in the tunes go to NJIT?

they just had the worst D-I college basketball season ever lol
Hahaha, Teczero does. I was just reading up about how awful that team is. I'd say something like "Tec should go sign up" but that would only seal their fate as the worst D-1 college basketball team ever.

I can't even believe they are D-1, they CAN'T have high attendance at their games.

Ryan-K

Smash Master
Is it me or do a majority of the cast have super armor on their shield grabs? I noticed that alot it seems everyone has super armor when they grab O_o

Jam Stunna

Writer of Fortune
BRoomer
3DS FC
0447-6552-1484
How can anyone make a judgment either way about whether Brawl is competitive or not? It hasn't even been out for a month yet. Most people in America still don't have it. Why is this an argument worth having at this point in time?

In six months, I think it will be safe to evaluate Brawl's competitiveness, but not now.

starcock

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Starcock
How can anyone make a judgment either way about whether Brawl is competitive or not? It hasn't even been out for a month yet. Most people in America still don't have it. Why is this an argument worth having at this point in time?

In six months, I think it will be safe to evaluate Brawl's competitiveness, but not now.
We discuss this now because a giant, p*nis like, anaconda, is about to destroy the universe, March 1st.

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
yea, to everyone who says you can't combo in brawl, play velocity. i played velocity and m2k all day sat and sun and my outlook on the game is completely different, even better now. dedede chaingrabbing though is terrible and way to broken, and something might have to be done about it lol. but yea, combos exist, theres edgeguarding, matches are going faster and faster (i expect to see everything going to 4 stocks within 6 months), as our matches averaged like 2.5 mins each. its also nice to see that were starting to develop the ideas of like which characters r good on which stages, who counterpicks who (ROB > Marth FTW), and so on. i def think brawl is competitive. not as good as melee RIGHT NOW (as melee has it all layed out already), but theres no way to predict the future right now.

Eggm

Smash Hero
Let me just make sure I get it straight real quick. Brawl has edge guarding and combos? LOL. Duh.

They are still boring edge guards and combos compared to melee.

When the edge guards make me get out of my chair in disbelief like the first clip of this vid.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KIYn3TtRr_w
Then I"ll get excited.

For now in my opinion its still boring and being pushed to be competitive 2 weeks into the game which it isn't.. I feel like you guys are pressing it on us, I don't know why. But I guess it takes people like you to advance it, hopefully you guys do get it to a point where it looks fun. But right now it looks like a non competitive game being pushed by excited fanboys to be competitive. With a group of people who truly believe a game can be competitive any game can be lol. It'd actually be cool if you guys brought it to a competitive level that looks fun, then I can play the more popular game. ^^ I'm super skeptical tho as the game seemed to be purposely made to not be competitive.

Scar

#HarveyDent
Everyone's shield gets weak A LOT faster now. Everyone basically has Marth's shieldgrab now, and by that I mean an awful shield but you can mindlessly press the A button if your opponent messes up their spacing by a little bit. Your shield has to exist to block your opponent's attack and then grab them because they spaced BADLY.

No, it's NOT like saying lasers aren't broken because you can powershield them. It's like saying Marth's shieldgrab in melee isn't broken. All you have to do is space a BEAUTIFUL back air and he can't punish you.
I'm glad that everyone just ignored Kashif. I am turning the thread into Scar vs. everyone not Spam. He has no mind, he will just spew random statements not backed up by fact. The shieldgrabbing strategy is much more broken in Brawl. Hell it wasn't even good in Melee.

Also I'd like to mention that shieldgrabbing is extremely easy to do. Not a competitive game.

I agree with Kashif. You can't even shieldgrab spaced stuff. >_>;
hm... How's about Scar vs everyone not Spam and Inui? Let's address someone new who hasn't heard everything I have to say 1000000 times and still refuses to respond to any points and maintain that I have to wait.

A lot of things about Brawl are readily apparent. We've had this conversation a lot of times, and the point that I always try to get to is that competitive in this conversation means that "Those who should win will win."

Brawl has a LOT of game engine mechanics that seem to have no purpose other than ensuring that better players will randomly do worse than they should. I always mention the random tripping first, since that's just abominable.

Also, the auto-sweetspotting makes things a lot easier for strays to just pick up. Melee punishes you hard for not knowing sweetspots, forcing you to become better to play at a competitive level. The lack of stun that most moves deliver (combined with absurd landing lags) leaves the players experiencing lots of hit trades, especially immediately after taking a stock. This seems designed to keep matches even and not rewarding first hits nearly as much as they were rewarded in its predecessor. This also contributes to a lack of combos, an element that was revered as the most awesome part of Melee, separating the good from the truly too good.

It doesn't matter how much time is put into the game, these facts will remain unchanged simply because they are facts. Yes, you can get around some of them, but the answer is usually just "camp" or "predict," neither of which are all that great for a truly competitive game.

Competitive means "those who should win will win." And Melee is very apparently a much more competitive game than Brawl ever will be.

yea, to everyone who says you can't combo in brawl, play velocity. i played velocity and m2k all day sat and sun and my outlook on the game is completely different, even better now.
Mark, you don't know how to get out of combos. You just mash anything as soon as you get hit, if you try to do your fastest move you'll frequently hit the other person before they can even follow your DI.

Chillin released a pretty sweet CF Brawl combo vid today, but most of them I can tell are not true combos, i.e. if the opponent just mashed L he would have gotten out of them. Link here.

Link to a better CF combo vid here.

teh_spamerer

Smash Master
I'm glad that everyone just ignored Kashif. I am turning the thread into Scar vs. everyone not Spam. He has no mind, he will just spew random statements not backed up by fact. The shieldgrabbing strategy is much more broken in Brawl. Hell it wasn't even good in Melee.
Fact: Shields in Brawl get weaker faster
Fact: If you space an aeriel or certain smash attacks, you can't be shieldgrabbed in Brawl
Fact: Broken strategies are taken and mindlessly abused by bad people. Hit random Marth player on the ledge, and if he gets up he'll shield. Dashdance in front of his shield(not too close) and guess what you'll see? MINDLESS SHIELDGRAB OVER AND OVER. **** THAT!
Fact: You can shieldgrab Falco's SHINE in melee. You can shieldgrab jabs(except Falcon's after a knee :)). Yeah... I guess shieldgrabbing is not a good strategy at all in melee.

Scar

#HarveyDent
Fact: Shields in Brawl get weaker faster
Fact: If you space an aeriel or certain smash attacks, you can't be shieldgrabbed in Brawl
Fact: Broken strategies are taken and mindlessly abused by bad people. Hit random Marth player on the ledge, and if he gets up he'll shield. Dashdance in front of his shield(not too close) and guess what you'll see? MINDLESS SHIELDGRAB OVER AND OVER. **** THAT!
Fact: You can shieldgrab Falco's SHINE in melee. You can shieldgrab jabs(except Falcon's after a knee :)). Yeah... I guess shieldgrabbing is not a good strategy at all in melee.
I'm ignoring most of this just because I don't even care what you think, your mind will never be changed. Other people who are open to listen I am happy to debate with, and while I maintain that Melee is more competitive than Brawl I have been open to the idea that it's possible for Brawl to reach a certain level of competitiveness.

Anyways, yeah shields do get weaker faster. You can still shieldgrab too many moves too easily. WTF @ fact #3, which has been offset in bold for your convenience. Is that whole thing a fact?

Broken strategies should be difficult to perform. They should also be abused, and yes if it's mindless abuse then odds are that the player is bad, so wtf are you talking about? Good players will abuse broken strategies with full knowledge of their application. This takes presumably both technical skill and a knowledge of the mechanics of the game. btw Me talking about all this is simply me trying to understand what your point is.

@ Fact 4, I said it isn't THAT good as in it's not incredibly broken, which it isn't. That is not at all to say that it's not a good strategy, and I don't recall saying "feel free to take this statement as me saying that shieldgrabbing sucks in Melee."

I just don't understand how you read what I write and suck so hard with your responses.

teh_spamerer

Smash Master
Anyways, yeah shields do get weaker faster. You can still shieldgrab too many moves too easily. WTF @ fact #3, which has been offset in bold for your convenience. Is that whole thing a fact?
Also, according to Velocity, G&Ws bair shieldstabs everytime even from full shield. OMG LOOK SOMEONE ELSE FOUND A STRATEGY TO BEAT SHIELDGRABBING IN BRAWL **** **** ****

Broken strategies should be difficult to perform. They should also be abused, and yes if it's mindless abuse then odds are that the player is bad, so wtf are you talking about? Good players will abuse broken strategies with full knowledge of their application. This takes presumably both technical skill and a knowledge of the mechanics of the game. btw Me talking about all this is simply me trying to understand what your point is.
LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL! Broken strategies are SOOOOO easy to perform in melee. At ~40 against Sheik with Fox you can waveshine her across the stage, dsmash, edgehog, then do that again once she's forced to land on the stage. That's not broken? Spaced, timed bair with Fox or Falco when your opponent on the ledge covers all options. That's not broken? Look at this and tell me mindless grab isn't broken with Marth

@ Fact 4, I said it isn't THAT good as in it's not incredibly broken, which it isn't. That is not at all to say that it's not a good strategy, and I don't recall saying "feel free to take this statement as me saying that shieldgrabbing sucks in Melee."

I just don't understand how you read what I write and suck so hard with your responses.
Your EXACT words in the original post were "The shieldgrabbing strategy is much more broken in Brawl. Hell it wasn't even good in Melee."

Well, unless you meant something completely random, I interpreted the "it" in the second sentence to mean "shieldgrabbing" or "shieldgrabbing strategy" If you make that logical assumption, as that is the only noun you could be referring to from the previous sentence, it reads as either "Hell, shieldgrabbing wasn't even good in Melee" or "Hell, shieldgrabbing wasn't even a good strategy in melee." Either way means shieldgrabbing is not good.

My sarcastic response was "Yeah... I guess shieldgrabbing is not a good strategy at all in melee."

Where did I say that you said it sucks in melee? That's right, nowhere.

Magus420

Smash Master
Haven't I up-B'd you enough out of shield to know that b-air spam at the edge isn't broken? ;)

They could also shield release->powershield->jab/tilt/whatever with other characters.

Sheik can DS tech the d-smash too.

Also nice GIF, lol.

Eggm

Smash Hero
The shine combo isn't broken for a ton of reasons, # 1 its hard # 2 you have to get the first shine off # 3 it can be smash DIed out of # 4 sheik can DI the down smash well and land on the stage using a double jump air dodge, or try to swipe at the fox and maybe get him off the edge early, do a tricky up b that seems like they are goin gon the stage then goes to the ledge. The point is theres MAD OPTIONS. Melee has an infinte amount of more options due to being able to do more which makes you think harder, more mind games and more fun. And most important more competitive. xD

OH yah, magus just put up another option with his ninjapost. Melee has so many more options for movement, recovery, edge guarding, tech chasing, spacing, ... just everything.

Btw, I know fox has options that can make it almost a flawless techinque as well, thats whats so great about melee. For example he could jump out of shine frame perfect with perfect WD's and walk after the wd to counter DI, react faster to counter DI in (a mixup) Then firestall to avoid sheik swiping at him on the edge. Theres mad options cause melee's so awesome.

Scar

#HarveyDent
Spam you are awful. Your first point is Inui-ish, I'm going to refer to it as Spam logic.

Definition:
Spam logic, n.: an argument with which one takes a single character's single move in a single situation and says that it beats an entire technique or point of fact.

Examples:
Spam Logic A) I can combo to 30% with Metaknight therefore every character can combo to death.
Spam Logic B) G&W can dair and shieldstab therefore shieldgrabbing is not broken.
Spam Logic C) Waveshining Sheik across the stage is easy.

That last one isn't exactly Spam Logic, it's just ********. My whole point is that random scrubs can't compete at high level in Melee, that means they need to learn how to shffl and wavedash before anything else. Your quote again is
LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL! Broken strategies are SOOOOO easy to perform in melee. At ~40 against Sheik with Fox you can waveshine her across the stage, dsmash, edgehog, then do that again once she's forced to land on the stage. That's not broken? Spaced, timed bair with Fox or Falco when your opponent on the ledge covers all options. That's not broken? Look at this and tell me mindless grab isn't broken with Marth
I am talking about competitiveness, people who practice really hard should be the winners of each match. The fact of the matter is that you have no idea what I'm saying. When you say "spaced, timed bair" that means directly that whoever is using this technique has thought about the game, knows the spacing and timing well, and knows the opponents' options. Waveshining takes a lot of practice.

These things are all things that pros use to beat scrubs unconditionally. This all contributes towards competitiveness. Brawl includes much less of these things that are "easy" for you to do but IMPOSSIBLE for random scrubs to perform. Therefore Brawl is less competitive than Melee, which is the only point I'm trying to make.

Scar

#HarveyDent
A lot of things about Brawl are readily apparent. We've had this conversation a lot of times, and the point that I always try to get to is that competitive in this conversation means that "Those who should win will win."

Brawl has a LOT of game engine mechanics that seem to have no purpose other than ensuring that better players will randomly do worse than they should. I always mention the random tripping first, since that's just abominable.

Also, the auto-sweetspotting makes things a lot easier for strays to just pick up. Melee punishes you hard for not knowing sweetspots, forcing you to become better to play at a competitive level. The lack of stun that most moves deliver (combined with absurd landing lags) leaves the players experiencing lots of hit trades, especially immediately after taking a stock. This seems designed to keep matches even and not rewarding first hits nearly as much as they were rewarded in its predecessor. This also contributes to a lack of combos, an element that was revered as the most awesome part of Melee, separating the good from the truly too good.

It doesn't matter how much time is put into the game, these facts will remain unchanged simply because they are facts. Yes, you can get around some of them, but the answer is usually just "camp" or "predict," neither of which are all that great for a truly competitive game.

Competitive means "those who should win will win." And Melee is very apparently a much more competitive game than Brawl ever will be.
Here is a smart person's explaination for why it is simply not too early to be having this conversation.

It definitely isn't too early for prediction, and I think that both my arguments and M2K's have been beneficial for people who have had limited experience with Brawl. They get a chance to see the opinions of both players who have had positive and negative experiences in Brawl so that they might have something to agree or disagree with.

Keitaro

Banned via Administration
Ayaeyae!!

I do appreciate Scar being able to stand by his opinion for so long. I woulda got pissed hella long ago or just stopped posting.

teh_spamerer

Smash Master
Haven't I up-B'd you enough out of shield to know that b-air spam at the edge isn't broken? ;)
LOL you're gay, I'm fairly certain if I just wait after bair #1 you're screwed. I also recall breaking your shield with 6 bairs in Fox vs Peach ;)

They could also shield release->powershield->jab/tilt/whatever with other characters.
<_<
>_>
<_<

I've never seen anyone do that.

Sheik can DS tech the d-smash too.
Jigglypuff can also tech Falcon punch at 321% http://youtube.com/watch?v=NFxdYCr5yAI :laugh: And if they're preparing to tech it you can waveshine them off the stage and then shinespike them because they're not DIing the way they should be to get out of that. Besides, teching anything at the ledge gets you punished anyways.

Also nice GIF, lol.
;)

Eggm said:
The shine combo isn't broken for a ton of reasons, # 1 its hard # 2 you have to get the first shine off # 3 it can be smash DIed out of # 4 sheik can DI the down smash well and land on the stage using a double jump air dodge, or try to swipe at the fox and maybe get him off the edge early, do a tricky up b that seems like they are goin gon the stage then goes to the ledge.
#1 - Waveshining = basic Fox technique. If you play Fox competitively, you can waveshine or you're garbage.

#2 - That's like saying you have to hit your opponent to start a combo

#3 - You can react to that and waveshine dtilt to combo

#4 - Ok, then I can just randomly waveshine them off the stage into a shinespike which gimps her at a low % because my opponent DIing to be able to recover the best possible way from the dsmash. Double jump airdodge onto the stage can be punished. and wtf is this "swipe at the fox and maybe get him off the edge early?"

Possibilities - Sheik DIs the dsmash wrong and has to up B and then you repeat it and she's at too high a % to not get owned by it now.
- Sheik DIs the dsmash correct and still gets sent off the stage and probably has to up b. Maybe if you do it too low she can up with double jump fair, which you can just CC into dsmash or shine spike if you're at low %, but even if you can't I don't see how she's going to hit you off the stage unless you're at high % and it's at the other side.
- Sheik techs the dsmash and gets owned right after it because teching at the ledge = suck.

As for "tricky up b", you can just grab the ledge, stall, and then react. If you see her land then punish, and if she goes for the ledge she dies. Plain and simple. Maybe you won't be able to do that everytime, but she dies at low % if you goes for the ledge and you're still there, and if you don't do it right, she's on the ledge and has to get past spaced back air. Win-win situation.

Scar said:
When you say "spaced, timed bair" that means directly that whoever is using this technique has thought about the game, knows the spacing and timing well, and knows the opponents' options. Waveshining takes a lot of practice.
Yes...knowing my opponent has NO options really requires a lot of thinking. Waveshining = basic Fox technique that any Fox player should be able to do at the very lowest level of competitive melee.

Scar said:
Spam you are awful. Your first point is Inui-ish, I'm going to refer to it as Spam logic.
Scar, YOU are awful. You don't even address basic facts that I bring up.

RaptorHawk

Smash Ace
competitive in this conversation means that "Those who should win will win."
here.
This is why I think we should not be having this discussion. I think 3 weeks into brawl might be a little too early to tell who "should" be winning. I also think that you are basing this on the fact that you can go even with M2K in brawl, but despite the fact that M2K is a god in melee I don't think it's fair to use him as the test of competitiveness in brawl. I feel that M2K's play style in melee does not transfer well into brawl whatsoever. What made him so great in melee was the ability to combo and gimp with amazing precision and consistency. And currently brawl seems to lack both combos and gimps. In short, M2K is even with you because he has yet to adjust to the completely different play style brawl requires not because brawl tries to make everyone even.

Now of course I wouldn't dare say all that with out something to back me up. And the following is also a reason why I still see hope for a competitive brawl.

If you listen to the comments people are saying in those videos it's apparent that Azen was not going about even with everyone there and was in fact winning by a large margin.

or

Those who should win will win. :)

Also, spam I think you should stop posting about brawl. I think youre driving people away from brawl more than anything else lol.

Magus420

Smash Master
LOL you're gay, I'm fairly certain if I just wait after bair #1 you're screwed. I also recall breaking your shield with 6 bairs in Fox vs Peach ;)
His up-b has as much range as his f-tilt so it would still reach anyway if that's what you mean.

All I could think about at the time was how much I wanted to up-B from shield but knew that wouldn't work with Peach, lol.
<_<
>_>
<_<

I've never seen anyone do that.
Probably because I'm the only one who'd think to do something weird like that, like my Sheik that revolves around powershield->d-smashing anytime Fox/Falco uses an aerial cuz Sheik's PS is ridiculous and no one abuses it enough :laugh:
Jigglypuff can also tech Falcon punch at 321% http://youtube.com/watch?v=NFxdYCr5yAI :laugh: And if they're preparing to tech it you can waveshine them off the stage and then shinespike them because they're not DIing the way they should be to get out of that. Besides, teching anything at the ledge gets you punished anyways.

;)
How exactly should they DI to get out of that? It's a very low sending move and you can DI in various ways as long as you c-stick down or down/away if you DI low so you can most likely cover both.

No it doesn't always get you punished. Tech-roll is 40 frames. In this case the tech ends at almost the exact same time the d-smash does.

Scar

#HarveyDent
I also think that you are basing this on the fact that you can go even with M2K in brawl.
If that were what I was basing it off of then you'd be right, I'd have no real foundation for my argument. However I'm not basing it off that, I'm basing it off the fact that there are too many guessing games in Brawl.

Guessing games are good, and they take a certain amount of skill, but they don't translate well into competitive play. You need to camp a lot, which is boring and gay, and also it's important to note that if you're playing someone for the first time in tournament, guessing games really come down to luck. For these reasons, if a really good player gets unlucky a lot of times vs. a somewhat good player, the better player will probably lose.

If you listen to the comments people are saying in those videos it's apparent that Azen was not going about even with everyone there and was in fact winning by a large margin.
There are exceptions to every rule. Azen is truly too good. Brawl is exactly Azen's speed, and his natural ability will allow him to slow everything down and punish people for guessing incorrectly. Azen IMO will probably be the best player in Brawl. He's fine with camping, he will mindgame the hell out of you, learn your style instantly, and **** really hard.

Good for him.

Also, spam I think you should stop posting about brawl. I think youre driving people away from brawl more than anything else lol.
QFT. Waveshining is hard at low, mid, and sometimes high levels of competitive play, depending on how technical the player. Spam sounds ridiculous. SwiftBass says..

You sound ridiculous

Like I forgot what you and keitaro have been getting @ this whole time.
srsly, gtfo. QFT.

Top Bottom