• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Top Ten Videos of Each Character

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
isnt he like 15 years old? kids have short attention spans, cant blame him for wanting to have fun with another character.

speaking of youngins

i know ramin is like 16/17. are there any top players in europe that are actually adults?

Mr-R

Smash Champion
HEY im almost 18 YEAH, lets see i know leon is 18+ so are kaos, orion,staco, LP,bjay and lots more.
glutonny is defintely the youngest by a large margin

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
Leon is 21 or 22
Kaos is like 22 or 23
LP is 23

These are the oldest top player in the EU I know.

:059:

Flayl

Smash Hero
The best way to beat an opponent that is slightly slower than you is to continously force quick thinking on them which makes them more prone to mistakes, rather than camping and giving them time to plan.

But truth be told I think they just have more fun that way.

Flayl

Smash Hero
That's a generalization, only french and dutch do that. Spanish, english and german players use counterpicks. From what I understand they love Smashville because there are no gimmicks except platform cancelling which adds depth to the game, making it the best competitive stage.

Alphicans

Smash Hero
Because brawl's defensive options are better

... well maybe

It's just curious to me that NA and EU can play so differently. To me it should be clear to all people the best way to play, but obviously it's not. So I am wondering. Do europeans actually think playing aggressive is the best way to play, or are they just doing it because it's more fun? And, would you play this aggressive if you travelled to NA?

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
Generally speaking, I find that hard to believe. Tell that to Meta Knight or King Dedede as most characters.
Players matter more than characters [inb4notvsMKQQscrubbydiscrub]. The sooner I can read him, the easier I can adapt, the easier it is to win. If I don't approach I force no reaction and can't get through to the opposing player as easily because there's nothing for me to read.

Brawl is getting more and more offensive in the US. Certainly not coincidence.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
To say that being aggressive is always a bad thing would be silly, but the defensive options make it difficult to say that it is optimal; that goes for most situations, I feel. Pressure and smart reads are useful, and they are easier to accomplish in certain matchups, but that neutral stance is so nice.

King Funk

Int. Croc. Alligator
European players are planning to go to Apex 3. So until then, we don't really know.

I think the top European players would do well vs some players and really bad vs others. The reason Leon and Glutonny can keep on playing so aggressive is because they are insanely good at doing reads to the point where they can approach their opponents with extreme confidence all the time.

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
European players are planning to go to Apex 3. So until then, we don't really know.

I think the top European players would do well vs some players and really bad vs others. The reason Leon and Glutonny can keep on playing so aggressive is because they are insanely good at doing reads to the point where they can approach their opponents with extreme confidence all the time.
Assuming this was 100% true, would it even make sense for these players to be defensive in most situations? As long as you can read your opponent - which as far as I can see is the most effective way to win - approaching him and keeping him at bay shuts his options down perfectly fine. Why give him the option of a come back if you can just keep on holding him down?

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
Assuming this was 100% true, would it even make sense for these players to be defensive in most situations? As long as you can read your opponent - which as far as I can see is the most effective way to win - approaching him and keeping him at bay shuts his options down perfectly fine. Why give him the option of a come back if you can just keep on holding him down?

Because you -can't- read your opponent in a lot of situations. Some things, like certain situations against an excellent Dedede, are just impossible to read if the player is smart about the use. Approaching generally means that in order to have a chance at hitting, you have to cover a certain amount of distance before getting a hit. The defensive player can often throw out a safe move with the added unpredictability of where he will be--He could move forward, or backward, or not at all; sometimes, it's even outright invincible. The number of options available to the defensive player is almost always a greater number than if the same player was playing offensively.

Laem

Smash Champion
Because you -can't- read your opponent in a lot of situations. Some things, like certain situations against an excellent Dedede, are just impossible to read if the player is smart about the use. Approaching generally means that in order to have a chance at hitting, you have to cover a certain amount of distance before getting a hit. The defensive player can often throw out a safe move with the added unpredictability of where he will be--He could move forward, or backward, or not at all; sometimes, it's even outright invincible. The number of options available to the defensive player is almost always a greater number than if the same player was playing offensively.
i truly madly deeply wanna hear your reasoning for that.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
i truly madly deeply wanna hear your reasoning for that.
The movement is invincible, not the tactic itself. Rolling, spotdodging, airdodging and certain attacks give you a number of invincibility frames. I wasn't saying that they make for an unstoppable force, hahah.

Alphicans

Smash Hero

It's easier to read someone coming at you than it is a stationary target. Being comitted to something decreases options, you cannot really deny that.

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
It's easier to read someone coming at you than it is a stationary target. Being comitted to something decreases options, you cannot really deny that.
It's easier to read your opponent's defensive moves when he is required to react than to read your opponent's approach when he has the freedom to be creative and cloak his approaches. If you memorize my first three approach choices you still know nothing of me because I have all options to approach completely different the next 3 times.
I will learn about your decision making based on your defensive reactions though. And once that happens I'm one step ahead of you.

Somebody has yet to prove our play unsuccessful.

Zigsta

Disney Film Director
NNID
Zigsta
3DS FC
1547-5526-6811
EU matches are fairly entertaining, but I don't get the hype over offensive gameplay. Probably because I just like playing slow and defensive, haha.

Gah777

Smash Lord
I came here to watch interesting videos, not to look at an argument. Get back to work people.

AllyKnight

Banned via Administration
gluto DID beat ally, so you cant say that they arent as good because they pressure so much.
lol under the crowd's pressure yeah.

Other than Gluto, Leon and Mr R. I really don't find anyone comparable to the U.S unless they're around the A-B tier of the u.S (SS being top, S being 2nd best, gluto leon and maybe mr r would be in S or A. They wouldn't win any tourney here though.

Laem

Smash Champion
"Charizard used IRONY" LOOOOOOOOOL

edit
ally could use some practice writing stuff down coherently

Top Bottom