• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The things you don't get in life.

Jonas

Smash Champion
An odd number times an odd number will never be an even number :p
Also, an odd number plus an odd number and an even number plus an even number will always be an even number. It actually makes sense, if you think about it.

pickle962

Smash Lord
I don't get what's so good about algebra. I have pre-algebra this year and I'm starting to see why so many people hate algebra.

Fuelbi

Banned via Warnings
I dont get why people hate algebra. Im taking algebra this year (1 year ahead of me I may add) and I find it extremely easy (at the moment)

Scott!

Smash Lord
Okay...

but why
How about this:

N is any integer. 2n is an even number because it can be divided by 2 and still be an integer. Thus, 2n+1 is an odd number.

Odd + Odd = 2n+1 + 2n+1 = 4n+2
This is even because it can be divided by two and still be an integer. (4n+2)/2 = 2n+1

Even + Even = 2n + 2n = 4n
This is also even because it can be divided by 2 and be an integer. 4n/2 = 2n

Odd * Odd = (2n+1) * (2n+1) = 4n^2 + 4n + 1
This is odd because 4n^2+4n is even. (4n^2+4n)/2 = 2n^2+2n. Since 4n^2+4n is even, 4n^2+4n+1 must be odd since it is 1 greater than 4n^2+4n.

Even * Even = 2n * 2n = 4n^2
This is even because it can be divided by 2 and be an integer. 4n^2/2 = 2n^2.

Hopefully that helps. They're not completely formal proofs, but they do prove what you asked.

pickle962

Smash Lord
Another thing I don't get are noobs. I know they are new to forums, but why do they do things like spam and post things in the wrong sections. I seriously don't get them.

Overload

Smash Lord
I don't get people and road rage. It seems people are more prone to rage from stupid crap on the road. For example, I was in the car today with my mom, and someone was driving close behind us and had shined their high beams on us. She responds by spraying windshield wiper fluid onto them. They shine their high beams again and she slows down to piss them off. Then she pulls into the right lane to let them pass, gets behind them, and shines her high beams at them. They spray us with windshield wiper fluid and she pulls back into the right lane. She speeds up to eventually pass them.

I was ready to just start laughing at how idiotic they both were. Risking an accident from reckless driving because you got a little annoyed at another driver is stupid. If it were me, I'd have just completely ignored the other driver. I wouldn't play little games and let my anger increase my risk of an accident.

It seems as if she almost seeks this stuff out. I've noticed this on a couple of occasions. She'll readily do something stupid because of road rage.

Smash Master
I heard on the Discovery Channel that road rage is more common because you can't physically see the other person. In person, if someone shines a flashlight at you, they can either give an apologetic look or say "my bad" and all is forgiven. In a car, the other guy just has to assume the first guy is being a jerk, and crap escalates.

sammy p

Smash Lord
I heard on the Discovery Channel that road rage is more common because you can't physically see the other person. In person, if someone shines a flashlight at you, they can either give an apologetic look or say "my bad" and all is forgiven. In a car, the other guy just has to assume the first guy is being a jerk, and crap escalates.
actually, that doesnt surprise me! i can totally see that would be the reason!

The Drifter

Smash Journeyman
I don't get why people "like" their own statuses on Facebook, it just seems dumb to me and my buddies all started doing it.

The Drifter

Smash Journeyman
i dont get facebook or twiter
Facebook is a great place to get into contact with friends. You might not get it if you are in HS, because you're with the same people everyday. When that groups separates, it's handy.

Twitter however, pretty much is just a Facebook status post and an organized stalking thing.

Pikaville

Pikaville returns 10 years later.
I don't get why If God supposedly created us,why don't we have superpowers?

Or why can't humans get energy from the sun instead of needing food/sleep?

Or why does the oxygen we so desperately need all the time slowly degenerate us on a cellular level?

Things like that.

LLDL

Smash Hero
I don't understand how these ugly *** ignorant dumb black kids get all the fine booty. While nice guys like me (who at the same time is negro look better than those other dudes) are stuck with nice girls, but ones who I am not all that interested in :< I want some fine booty!

StriCNYN3

Smash Journeyman
What I dont get in life is why is it that when a women hits a man, it's considered knocking sense into him, but in vice-versa, it's considered abuse?

Scott!

Smash Lord
The numbering system of pencils is based on the hardness of the graphite. It ranges in the US from 1-4, with 2 1/2 as the only non-integer level. 4 is the hardest, 1 is the softest.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pencil#Grading_and_classification

If you're curious as to why Scantrons can only use #2 pencils, it's kind of a myth now. They can read all pencils, but #2 is just the optimal kind for standard writing. #1 smudges easily, which can mess up a Scantron's ability to read results, and #3 and #4 make fainter marks that older Scantrons couldn't read very well. These days, Scantrons can read black and blue ink as well. I've taken Scantron tests with pens. Erasable pens are preferable though. :)

AssaultFalcon

Smash Cadet
The numbering system of pencils is based on the hardness of the graphite. It ranges in the US from 1-4, with 2 1/2 as the only non-integer level. 4 is the hardest, 1 is the softest.

If you're curious as to why Scantrons can only use #2 pencils, it's kind of a myth now. They can read all pencils, but #2 is just the optimal kind for standard writing. #1 smudges easily, which can mess up a Scantron's ability to read results, and #3 and #4 make fainter marks that older Scantrons couldn't read very well. These days, Scantrons can read black and blue ink as well. I've taken Scantron tests with pens. Erasable pens are preferable though. :)

Do you remember in the old elementary school Days when we had those big, Cigar shaped pencils with no eraser on it with the bear in gold, were those Number 1.

I don't understand why we can't call women B*****S But they call us dogs.

BBQTV

Smash Master

Or why does the oxygen we so desperately need all the time slowly degenerate us on a cellular level?

Things like that.
maybe he didnt want to give us powers because bad people could would have them?

the second one irony of course :laugh:

Scott!

Smash Lord
Do you remember in the old elementary school Days when we had those big, Cigar shaped pencils with no eraser on it with the bear in gold, were those Number 1.

I don't understand why we can't call women B*****S But they call us dogs.
I do not recall those pencil kinds, unfortunately. I can't really remember any with golden bears on them, even after Google showed me what they look like. As for them being #1, it's possible I guess. I'm no pro, I just have google-fu.

Fuelbi

Banned via Warnings

Things like that.
God obviously didnt give us super powers because he didnt want any puny human being to beat him out of his position for complete overlord of teh earth.

GATTIKA!

By-Tor

Smash Cadet

Things like that.
Take anatomy and biology classes and you'll find how many "superpowers" we really do have. For example, the body has many self defense mechanisms that are miraculous in structure. The entire lymphatic (immune system) system is very complicated and if it wasn't for it we would die if we had contact with any mild bacteria or virus

And as for the photosynthesis request, plant and animal cells are different in structure, and animals (people included) can't photosynthesize because we don't need to, we get our food elsewhere. But **** that would be cool wouldn't it?

By-Tor

Smash Cadet
I don't get this kid in my school. He's a straight up NERD and ever since middle school would follow me around all the time. I didn't mind it at first, but this kid's a straight up dork he doesn't like anything but video games so talking to him became an embarrassment. He's not even GOOD at video games he sucks! He doesn't have any friends, even though he considers me and a couple of other guys his friends, even though he doesn't realize someone who talks smack about you right in you're face all the time isin't your friend.

And he doesn't like girls AT ALL I don't know if he's shy or something but whenever the conversation turns to girls he thinks we're all perverts, I think he might be gay or asexual but whenever I accuse him he just denies it.

He reminds me a bit of Napoleon Dynamite, he sighs all the time, he doesn't do sports and he'll probably die alone jacking off to WoW

do you guys know anyone like this?

Clownbot

Smash Lord
@By-Tor: I know similar people at school.

They're the people I happen to hang out with. @_@

Fuelbi

Banned via Warnings
Wow......... I think what you just said would describe me. Lulz no. But no lady would want me cuz Im in the bottom of the popularity chain (how do I know? Because most of them WANT the guys at the top of it. Which in my opinion is extremely biased and is bullcrap) But at least I do like some girls. **** one of them looks great in a minisk- ok Im getting WAY off topic here

I dont get why parents blame the schools for not giving their kids enough healthy stuff like excercise. I mean its the parents fault for not actually getting them on a diet. I mean instead of eating at school they can bring healthier stuff from home and if they want P.E. so much why can't they just take their kids to some gym or make them play sports more then? Because P.E. is starting to get on my nerves. I mean I cant stand the running (though it has given me much more stamina. I mean when I started I could barely could run 1/4 around the football field, but now I can run about a 1 1/2 to 1 3/4 laps.) and frankly I could be doing something that would be much more educational to me. I could be taking a journalism class (I really want to have a proffession in the journalism industry).

/10rants

By-Tor

Smash Cadet
@roacherman that's a good point, people these days are just too dang whiny

I don't get why if I girl has a picture of a guy from a magazine around her than it's normal, but if a guy has a picture of a girl from a magazine around him it's wrong

Smash Master
It takes me a day and a half to write a 2500-word paper complete with citations, yet I can't complete ~100 lines of code in three days. Something's wrong with me.

pickle962

Smash Lord
I don't get the point of learning thing in school like algebra and chemistry when you'll more likely than not forget it 20 years down the road.

cF=)

Smash Lord
I don't get the point of learning thing in school like algebra and chemistry when you'll more likely than not forget it 20 years down the road.
To fight creationists, duh. Think of it as logical weapons against irrational zealots of any kind.

ru5514n

Smash Ace
Those subjects do nothing more than boost up your GPA, and get you into college. You probably WILL forget most of this stuff, it's just that it helps you get into college, and get a good job, and so on.

Top Bottom