• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The things you don't get in life.

Smash Master
Yet you replied an answer to someone which you weren't sure that the answer was correct. Way to follow you're own policy.
The hell are you talking about?

btw

your: denotes posession -- as in, your own policy

you're: substitute for the clause 'you are' -- as in, you're such a silly goofball.

I don't smoke, but I'm close to people who do. They list two primary reasons.

1.) They had a moment of irrationality. They saw others smoking, thought it would feel good, tried it, and now they can't stop.
2.) It allows a person to escape a difficult reality. It's basically the same reason people get high or depressed people tend to sleep all the time.

Peeze

Smash Master
Okay, since I don't like to be wrong, and I really don't like ignorant people telling me I'm wrong, I went and looked up the answer for myself.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amylase

Last time I ask smashboards for answers to my inane questions.

Ocean, please don't provide an answer that you are unsure of without qualifying that you aren't sure of it. I mean that as like a general life policy.

Regarding The View: I hate talk shows with primarily female panels. They always come across as sexist to me.
OK rewording to be more specific "Almost no protein or fat digestion occurs in the mouth"
You can call breaking starch down into sugar "digestion" if you want. But it's not, its breaking it down into sugar which still needs to get processed by your body. If you say thats digestion you might as well say chewing is digestion because thats also breaking down food.

Oh and you know why amylase targets starch? Because starch is almost impossible for the belly to digest without being "digested" into sugar.
Fire, water and some acids breaks starch down into sugar too. You call that digestion too?

Dark Ryu

Smash Ace
You said "I think n00b is someone who sucks but thinks they're teh ubr1337haxorz. It's okay to be mean to them."
So next time please be SURE of your answer. Not just guessing. As for my spelling mistake, thanks for correcting:]

DTKPch

Smash Journeyman
There is none. As I write this, we all idly grow closer to our meaningless deaths. :/

I don't get politics. Every election for the Senate or House brings in new people to continue the corruption and filibustering and overall-getting-nothing-done. There are so many arbitrary laws that are either already in place or will be created that slow down stuff. Finding new sources of energy and whatnot could happen so much faster if people just cut through the stupid red tape.

Also, the American legal system. It is composed of equal parts fail and facepalm.

I also don't get school spirit. I quite agree with Randall Munroe here: http://xkcd.com/588/

BBQTV

Smash Master
i dont get it ether zam i guess for lol? zam its the same thing as gangs zam

Scott!

Smash Lord
I don't get politics. Every election for the Senate or House brings in new people to continue the corruption and filibustering and overall-getting-nothing-done. There are so many arbitrary laws that are either already in place or will be created that slow down stuff. Finding new sources of energy and whatnot could happen so much faster if people just cut through the stupid red tape.

I also don't get school spirit. I quite agree with Randall Munroe here: http://xkcd.com/588/
Politics: one problem is that each election doesn't really bring in many new people at all. The incumbency rate is > 90%, so what we have are a bunch of career politicians who are in it as a career. Thus, they want to make money in doing it. In the early days of our country, when our system was designed, the men in office were all established in other careers. being in government was more like service than a job.

Because our politicians do it for a career, being re-elected is vital. They need to have a strong base of support in their districts. The bases have certain causes that energize them to vote, so if the issues behind them were solved, then what would make the voters continue to vote for the same people?

There's also the lobbying. Now, lobbying in and of itself isn't an inherently evil thing. All it is is trying to get your representative to hear your voice and vote the way you want them to. Unfortunately, it's all about money these days, and only the wealthy can compete. Things have been restricted somewhat, so they can't give gifts the same way they used to be able to, but they can offer re-election campaign contributions, or of course just take the illegal route.

As far as school spirit is concerned, it's the same with any sports fandom. I was watching the Rockies lose to the Phillies earlier, and saw the crowds of depressed fans leaving the stadium afterwards, and I realized just how silly it all is. Sports teams and their wins/losses don't affect us directly. If my faves the Yankees win the World Series, do I benefit? I can cheer for them, but I am in no way responsible for their victory, and it does not affect me at all other than whether I celebrate or mourn. it's all silly and pointless. But it is fun to follow, which is why I can get into it.

DTKPch

Smash Journeyman
I don't get dances/clubbing/that stuff. Basically, anything where there's strobing lights, loud music (usually pop), and clumps of people spazzing to the beat. Other than the obvious reason (an outlet for their repressed sexual urges), I don't see why they're popular. Do people enjoy flailing the arms wildly? Are they attempting to impersonate a wacky waving inflatable arm flailing tubeman?

I can, off the top of my head, think of precisely 1729 better ways to spend my time.

k/mh

Smash Rookie
I don't get how we ended up having stuff like Hannah Montana (ok, i think she stopped), when we once had bands like Led Zeppelin...

Now more seriously, I honestly don't get, why infinity divided by zero is infinity (from what I've read, maybe it's something entirely different^^)

Ocean

Smash Master
Slippi.gg
OCEAN#0
Now more seriously, I honestly don't get, why infinity divided by zero is infinity (from what I've read, maybe it's something entirely different^^)
you can't divide by zero.

Scott!

Smash Lord
I don't get dances/clubbing/that stuff. Basically, anything where there's strobing lights, loud music (usually pop), and clumps of people spazzing to the beat. Other than the obvious reason (an outlet for their repressed sexual urges), I don't see why they're popular. Do people enjoy flailing the arms wildly? Are they attempting to impersonate a wacky waving inflatable arm flailing tubeman?

I can, off the top of my head, think of precisely 1729 better ways to spend my time.
People find dancing fun. I for one am not a big crowd person, but there are people who enjoy going out with friends and dancing. And if it is an outlet for releasing repressed sexual urges, then I don't see a problem with that. They need to be released somehow. But it's more than that. Have you ever listened to music with a good beat and felt the desire to move to it? Music makes people want to dance, and they enjoy doing so.

Of course, there's also the whole alcohol culture that relates into that as well, but I'll keep out of that. I'm not that knowledgeable on drinking, and it's probably against the rules to talk about it anyway, what with all the <21'ers here and such.

I don't get how we ended up having stuff like Hannah Montana (ok, i think she stopped), when we once had bands like Led Zeppelin...

First off, tons of people like Hannah Montana. You can make an argument that she isn't talented or original or anything, but you can't argue with her popularity. Also, the idea of corporate-created bands is far from new. Look at the Monkees. They were completely manufactured by some company to be successful, and were. Little to no lasting effect on music though. Just mostly fluffy pop stuff.

Cease Tick

Smash Ace
you can't divide by zero.
You can. Sorta. It's complicated. Here's a link if you want further reading: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Division_by_zero

EDIT: I don't get why teachers have such a terrible bias against Wikipedia. It's obviously not something you'd cite in a formal paper, but if you want some general knowledge about a topic then Wikipedia is great. At my school it seems like the teachers think that every other page is full of lies and misinformation, when in reality messing with articles is not very common and is usually quickly resolved.

DTKPch

Smash Journeyman
@Dividing by zero:
It's not dividing by zero literally. You divide by something very small. It mostly comes up in calculus, and when you take the limit approaching zero, that's not actually zero.

And consider that a big number divided by a small number is an even bigger number. So when you take your very big number, "infinity" as it were (I put quotation marks because it's not actually infinite, it's just a very big number), and divide it by "zero" (again, not actually zero), you get an even bigger number, which we can also call "infinity."

@Scott:
Very wonderful answers, by the way. I guess I was focusing more on the alcohol- and drug-related culture of clubbing and dancing and that sort of stuff. There are particular songs that make me want to get up and move (Martin Sexton's "Diner" comes to mind), but that's not the same. And while previous decades had ragtime, blues, swing dancing (I love me some Glenn Miller!), our current generation does nothing but grind to some trashy pop music. Unfortunate. Also, the faux lesbian. :ohwell:

@Hannah Montana:
She is some fail. I feel like her current status and wealth is the result of a vicious cycle. Disney wanted to make her famous, so they work their magic. Then she gets money and privilege. Then she becomes more famous because of that money and privilege, and that additional fame leads to even more money and privilege. At this point, she doesn't actually earn anything through her talent, or lack thereof. The public culture and media furthers this as well, since many people will worship Hannah Montana (WHY IS HER LAST NAME A STATE?!), while relatively few are aware of children that have actually accomplished something. For example, compare the number of people who know the name Kevin Federline, or "K-Fed," to the number of people who know who Ajay Bhatt is, or the number of people who can name the Chief Justice of the Supreme Court. Our society's entire sense of fame and acknowledgement is seriously messed up.

EDIT: @Wikipedia:
Frankly, I consider it to be an extension of my brain. Most of their stuff is legitimate, and everything that's wrong is either debatable, or very obviously wrong. Also, if you want to officially cite something you found there, scroll down to the end of the wikipedia page, where they give you their citation.

the melon!!!!!

Smash Lord
WilkesBarre-Scranton, PA/State College, PA
3DS FC
0963-1716-1141
I don't get anarchists. I understand the idea of no government, having the ability of doing what you want, whenever you want, but I don't get why they don't realize the frailties of such a system. I tried to explain this to one of my former classmates, and he just kept saying, "Yeah, but the power to do whatever you want! That's the beauty of it!" Obviously, he was an idiot, but I'd like an intelligent response to this. In summary, wtf is up with anarchism, and what is the "intelligent" logic behind it, cuz I can't find any of it up in that ***** zam zoom zippity bop

:036:

On another note, I don't get Ann Coulter (idk if that is how to spell her name, but i have no clue wtf is up with her).

Scott!

Smash Lord
@Scott:
Very wonderful answers, by the way. I guess I was focusing more on the alcohol- and drug-related culture of clubbing and dancing and that sort of stuff. There are particular songs that make me want to get up and move (Martin Sexton's "Diner" comes to mind), but that's not the same. And while previous decades had ragtime, blues, swing dancing (I love me some Glenn Miller!), our current generation does nothing but grind to some trashy pop music. Unfortunate. Also, the faux lesbian. :ohwell:

@Hannah Montana:
She is some fail. I feel like her current status and wealth is the result of a vicious cycle. Disney wanted to make her famous, so they work their magic. Then she gets money and privilege. Then she becomes more famous because of that money and privilege, and that additional fame leads to even more money and privilege. At this point, she doesn't actually earn anything through her talent, or lack thereof. The public culture and media furthers this as well, since many people will worship Hannah Montana (WHY IS HER LAST NAME A STATE?!), while relatively few are aware of children that have actually accomplished something. For example, compare the number of people who know the name Kevin Federline, or "K-Fed," to the number of people who know who Ajay Bhatt is, or the number of people who can name the Chief Justice of the Supreme Court. Our society's entire sense of fame and acknowledgement is seriously messed up.
I'm gonna be playing Devil's advocate in a sense here, but I want to debate the points, just for fun. First off, with Hannah, you say relatively few people are aware of kids who've accomplished something. I'd point out that Miley Cyrus has accomplished quite a lot. She may not be great in terms of musical talent, and Disney is just using her as a money magnet, but she's still had a very successful last few years. She definitely doesn't deserve as much attention as she gets, not by a long shot. But I don't have a problem with her herself. She's just putting herself out there and expressing herself in music. My issue is with the massive amount of publicity she gets. But then again, there are tons of teen and tween (I hate that word) girls who love her. So yeah. The problem really is our culture's obsession with fame and celebrity, but I don't know how we'd fix that, or even if it is actually the problem, or a symptom. I lean towards it being a symptom, but I really don't want to get into a full-fledged rant on the anti-intellectual attitude that's far too common these days.

About the dancing, every generation sees older dancing as "real" dancing while the current stuff is viewed by those old enough to remember an older generation as trashy or overly sexualized. They couldn't show Elvis on TV from the waist down because of the influence he would have on the children or something. Also, calling what music they play trashy is subjective. Even if it isn't the most musically complex, or if the artist isn't remarkably talented, people still enjoy it. Dancing trends are always changing as well, so who knows what the future will hold?

@the melon!!!!!: As for anarchy, I don't really know the intricacies of serious anarchistic models, but there are a few people on here who do believe in it as an ideal system. I'm pretty sure there are some solid debates on it in the debate hall, so I'd recommend looking there.

Also, Ann Coulter is a troll. Her goal in life is to make the political left as mad as possible, and she's very good at it. She's at her best when creating controversy. I'd recommend researching what she's said just to get an idea, but it can be highly infuriating, especially because some of the nuttiest right-wingers take her seriously and believe what she says. Some of it is just too out there and ridiculous to believe sometimes. Research at your own risk.

DTKPch

Smash Journeyman
I get what you're saying about Miley Cyrus being "successful," but my point is that she hasn't done much herself. Her role in this situation is mostly passive, not active. Other people write her songs, other people advertise her, she ends up lip-syncing at live concerts and getting her voice modified on recordings. If Miley Cyrus wasn't Hannah Montana, it would be another name and face with the exact same result.

And while I am well aware of each generation's perception of their own song and dance, at some point you have to say enough is enough. Seriously, grinding is sex with clothes on. The music they dance to is arguably more acceptable. I understand it's pop, and some people like it. My issue is that it won't be around in 6 months, and no one can remember great songs from 2002, but they can remember great songs from 1972 (or around that time period, I guess). In that sense, I can't really argue about pop music, and I'll just say that I personally don't like it. But the dancing. Come on. This is not an outlet for creativity. This new style is not some revolutionary change. It is sex with clothes on. It doesn't help that people often participate while drunk/high/generally intoxicated with "substances."

Perhaps if one were to extrapolate from this trend of dance styles, in fifty years people will be impregnating each other with abandon on the dance floor. *shudder*

Also, for anyone that's trying to imagine me as a stuck up adult (or at least in his twenties), I'm 17. I'm supposed to be the target audience for half of this stuff, and I hate it.

@anarchy:
I imagine that a lot of it in principle is like communism, in that it takes a group effort to make it work. Everyone has to have the right mindset. Imagine if there were no law enforcement officers, but people also just didn't want to hurt each other or do bad stuff. No laws against public dumping of trash existed, but no one wanted to dump trash in non-designated areas, anyway (although without laws, how would you designate where to dump trash?). I suppose in this ideal environment anarchy could work, but of course, until we're all replaced by robots, this will never happen.

@ Ann Coulter:
I'm just wondering about Republicans as a whole. I don't mean your average Republican. My school is very liberal (probably more than 95% of the students are liberal), but I'm friends with several Republicans and it's still cool when we're discussing political beliefs. However, this:
http://www.alternet.org/blogs/peek/143164/30_gop_senators_vote_to_defend_gang_rape/

Also, just the general opposition to expanding civil rights. I understand that some Democrats (notably including Obama) are not for gay marriage, but at least most Democrats are more progressive about it, and the stance against gay rights is more often attributed to the right. Really now, gay people are still people. Sure, some people really passionate about it might have an issue with calling it marriage, and while I'm strongly against even that, it's at least a bit understandable. But when people want to deny gays any sort of civil union, or prevent them from adopting kids, or anything unreasonable like that, I am utterly confused.

And currently, they're trying to pass a bill in Congress that would expand protection from hate crimes to include sexual orientation. I can't believe that wasn't already included, and if this doesn't get passed, I will be at a loss for words. I mean what is the thought process of people voting against it?

XFadingNirvanaX

Smash Champion
I don't get why people don't accept or tolerate anything as it is or why people feel the need to judge someone for just one action. Like if someone cuts you off on the road, you'd usually call them a bad person just for that...well...you don't know anything about them. They could have done it on accident or had a reason for it. Even if they did it on purpose it doesn't really mean they're the biggest ahole on the planet.

And as for the people who get pissed at people for driving at the speed limit...what the heck? I don't get why people get pissed at that. "This guy today was going so slow on the road", "Was he going over or under the speed limit?" "No." "Well then what are you complaining about?"

DTKPch

Smash Journeyman
Funny story. When I was doing my driver's ed behind the wheel class, I distinctly had a "student driver" sign on the top of my car. I'm going 55, because that's the speed limit, and some ******* comes out of nowhere (he's the only guy remotely close to me at this point), cuts in front of me and slams on the brakes. My driver's ed teacher was this huge guy, and he got mad, so he shouted for the other driver to pull over, got out of the car, and gave him an earful.

People are indeed *******s on the road.

XFadingNirvanaX

Smash Champion
Funny story. When I was doing my driver's ed behind the wheel class, I distinctly had a "student driver" sign on the top of my car. I'm going 55, because that's the speed limit, and some ******* comes out of nowhere (he's the only guy remotely close to me at this point), cuts in front of me and slams on the brakes. My driver's ed teacher was this huge guy, and he got mad, so he shouted for the other driver to pull over, got out of the car, and gave him an earful.

People are indeed *******s on the road.
Okay, that's a ****ing **hole. x_x

Mota

"The snake, knowing itself, strikes swiftly"
How the Italian language has words that are masculine and feminine. I don't get the point.

Cease Tick

Smash Ace
I don't get why people don't accept or tolerate anything as it is or why people feel the need to judge someone for just one action. Like if someone cuts you off on the road, you'd usually call them a bad person just for that...well...you don't know anything about them. They could have done it on accident or had a reason for it. Even if they did it on purpose it doesn't really mean they're the biggest ahole on the planet.

And as for the people who get pissed at people for driving at the speed limit...what the heck? I don't get why people get pissed at that. "This guy today was going so slow on the road", "Was he going over or under the speed limit?" "No." "Well then what are you complaining about?"
The second part reminds me of George Carlin.

DTKPch

Smash Journeyman
Okay, that's a ****ing **hole. x_x
Yeah, it ended up being some spoiled rich kid (couldn't have been older than 20) driving an Audi. He maintained that he was merely a victim in this whole thing. His girlfriend in the passenger seat apparently had a whiny voice and the only three words she knew were "Oh my god."

I don't get why people need to be *******s.

Why must the world suck?

mzink*

Smash Ace
Lol its true people do make a lot of judgments about others based on small things, but a lot of times its just to get their frustration out.
Or sometimes people just tend to say the first thing that pops into their head about someone. People just talk, a lot of times they aren't thinking about the things they are saying, they just keep spewing with no real meaning behind it. Some people just like to say every little thing on their mind whether they really believe it or not. Because it's easier than considering all the factors first and taking everything into account.

Of course that doesn't apply to everything and everyone, but its just something I experience a lot with people, they just like to blab.

Cease Tick

Smash Ace
Lol its true people do make a lot of judgments about others based on small things, but a lot of times its just to get their frustration out.
Or sometimes people just tend to say the first thing that pops into their head about someone. People just talk, a lot of times they aren't thinking about the things they are saying, they just keep spewing with no real meaning behind it. Some people just like to say every little thing on their mind whether they really believe it or not. Because it's easier than considering all the factors first and taking everything into account.

Of course that doesn't apply to everything and everyone, but its just something I experience a lot with people, they just like to blab.
That's why on smashboards we all seem so smart; we can think about what we're saying before we press submit.

the melon!!!!!

Smash Lord
WilkesBarre-Scranton, PA/State College, PA
3DS FC
0963-1716-1141
That's why on smashboards we all seem so smart; we can think about what we're saying before we press submit.
Not everybody, my friend...

Thanks for the responses. Though I still don't get it, at least I have a more intelligent view on anarchy and why people would think it works.

Onto the topic of intolerance. Well, sometimes people are jerks and they should rot in hell (so says the atheist lol). No, in all seriousness, when a person these days doesn't understand a concept or isn't exactly a fan of something, they are kinda taught to be ignorant to that thing by the media and there parents, who mostly grew up in an ignorant generation, with. It's just the belief that if something isn't right, they gotta badger it til it IS right.

I got another beef with society. Why is it that everything has to be a belief? I recently watched the movie Dogma (one of my faves, Jay and Silent Bob ftw), and Chris Rock made a good point. People die for beliefs, people will kill for beliefs, ideas are much more flexible than that. I honestly don't get it. Can we get some discussion flowing on that?

BBQTV

Smash Master
why do guys like guys? like people are born and the urge to do;) comes natual does in it? so why does this happen zam

Smash Master
Well, it isn't really known whether gayness is genetic or environmental. Although, if it is environmental, then all the singing and dancing they make you do in church is really ironic.

It can easily be a recessive trait, meaning that an individual can harbor one or more alleles associated with homosexuality, without expressing that gene in themselves. If two such people procreate, and both donate the recessive alleles to their zygote, then that zygote will have no dominant trait, and the gay gene will take hold.

It's the same type of thing when two brunettes have a blond child, or two brown-eyed people have a blue-eyed kid.

I don't get why logic doesn't change people's minds anymore.

.Marik

is a social misfit
I don't get naive teenaged girls.

I realized I don't get women in general.

Strange things influenced by estrogen, eh?

._.

BBQTV

Smash Master
well i met someone today who said their asexual but again how could this be well i guess what the guy with the sonic avatar said

Smash Master
I don't get why its so much worse for a guy to hit a girl than vice-versa.

Pikaville

Pikaville returns 10 years later.
I don't get anarchists. I understand the idea of no government, having the ability of doing what you want, whenever you want, but I don't get why they don't realize the frailties of such a system. I tried to explain this to one of my former classmates, and he just kept saying, "Yeah, but the power to do whatever you want! That's the beauty of it!" Obviously, he was an idiot, but I'd like an intelligent response to this. In summary, wtf is up with anarchism, and what is the "intelligent" logic behind it, cuz I can't find any of it up in that ***** zam zoom zippity bop

:036:

On another note, I don't get Ann Coulter (idk if that is how to spell her name, but i have no clue wtf is up with her).
With regards to Anarchy it could only partly work if all humans were "wired" the same.We would have to have perfect morals,ethic,beliefs etc.But imagine if EVERYONE was offered anything they want as long as they take up their work of choice and do it.People would do the professions they want and the human race would work nearly exactly the same a sit does now.

I mean it's entirely possible for a perfect society to exist on Earth,it just can't because some people can't agree.It has to be part communism and part democracy with a hint of anarchy and a splash of global conformity and will to work for the ultimate betterment as a whole.

Top Bottom