• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The things you don't get in life.

Mewter

Smash Master
I don't get why you would post like that.
zam.

Other than that, I don't understand how molecules reflect/absorb light in such a way that is has color (what makes it do this). Explain?

Originally Posted by SCOTT!
Now I wanna check that out definitely. I don't know much about string theory beyond that matter at its basest level is made of string-like structures or something along those lines. I should learn the ropes of it so if/when they find proof, or at least a way to really test it, I'll know what they're talking about.
I see what you did there.:chuckle:

PUNK9

Smash Journeyman
I don't get how CDs and MP3 players and the like can hold songs the way they do. It's kind of a marvel to me, even though I'm young enough to have been around this technology as long as I can remember.

....I prefer not to have this message addressed; I like it when some things in life are a complete mystery to me.
well basicly the code on the cd or the code in the MP3 file, is like a list of 'commands' that it gives the music player. and these commands just tell it what sound to make, its simple ;D

GoldShadow

Marsilea quadrifolia
BRoomer
Other than that, I don't understand how molecules reflect/absorb light in such a way that is has color. Explain?
They don't, really. They emit waves of different wavelengths.

These waves of light reach your eyes, where, depending on the wavelength, it is converted into different electrical signals. Your brain then translates it into "color". Technically, nothing has color, just different wavelengths of light waves. It's your brain that interprets it as some sort of color.

DtJ Jungle

Check out my character in #GranblueFantasy
BRoomer
Indeed.

I'd love to know how the brain takes all the senses adn combine it into one big...thing. And thus, how we can describe for ourselves what is beautiful, what are we attracted to...blah blah blah.

Mewter

Smash Master
I mean, what is it about molecules that does this though?:confused:
Do the atoms absorb it and emit the things it can't absorb from the wave? Is it the electrons? The size of the atom?

GoldShadow

Marsilea quadrifolia
BRoomer
It's the movement of electrons from higher orbitals to lower ones (waves are a form of energy; when an electron absorbs a wave, it gains energy and jumps to a higher orbital, and then it jumps back down. When it does, it emits energy in the form of a wave). A number of different properties of the atom/molecule affect whether it will absorb or emit a certain wavelength, or how much, etc.

Wuss

Smash Champion
Why did evolution give us a frontal lobe? Does any one know this? Like, why, on an evolutionary level, are we able to think abstractly and question ourselves and our knowledge (and everything the frontal lobe does)?

Mota

"The snake, knowing itself, strikes swiftly"
I never got the word Extraordinary, even though I know what it means

extra ordinary. :)

Fuelbi

Banned via Warnings
I dont get why on a topographic map contour lines bend upwards when a river passes through them (seriously its probably gonna be on one of my tests so help is appreciated)

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
i dont get why the drinking age is 21...
Because America is an odd place where people under 21 are all lunatics who want to kill all of humanity, and giving them alcohol would only give them access to fire breath and telekinesis.

But on a more serious note...

I don't know. I'm in college., drinking happens all the time, nothing bad has happened (yet), but of course, if something did happen, it would be "Omg underage drinking!" and not just "something that could happen to anyone." And this is ridiculous, these things happn all the time to people of all ages that drink.

And in Europe, at least in the UK, the age is 18; I actually understand they have LESS frequent accidents for said age group, nevermind the number of people in the US vs. the number in the UK.

I really can't explain right now. It's just, people like controlling other people.

And, seriously, if it was 18 over here, and everyone at my school could go out and buy whatever, they wouldn't buy as much because the thrill wouldn't be there.

I'm just glad I spent some time in the UK this summer, huzzah for actually being able to buy it.

Scott!

Smash Lord
Roacherman, can you be more specific, or link to a picture with that? I used to be pretty familiar with these kinds of maps in my days as a scout, so perhaps I can be of service. I'm just a bit confused by what you mean.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
I don't get how people can read something in a book, or anywhere else, and believe at all that whoever wrote it knew the ultimate truth about anything.

I don't care what characters in said book cured what, came back from the dead or did whatever, that's like watching Star Wars, and saying "Oh, wow, the Force? That's what makes up the universe! The force is the #1 power! (Yes, I am fully aware that there is already a religion based off of this, and fully support them for being awesome)

Now, knowing that, No religion, no matter how much they have written down where, or how many supporters they have, will EVER be true.

People can believe what they want, but its all a matter of perspective from every side of religion, each one giving the same excuses "This is the only god" or "They're all the same god, choose this religion because we have the Jesus!"

The excuses serve to do nothing but to try and fail to cover up for the fact that there are so many different religions.

If they were all the same god, he'd act the same way according to every scripture.

If they were all the same god, Polytheism wouldn't exist.

Oh that's right, those people are heathens. Best excuse I've ever seen. Ever.

So yeah, I don't get religion. If someone wants to try and help me understand, please do.

(And if you want to argue with me, PM me, don't post it in this thread. I was stating my lack of understanding for the religious populous, and I don't want it to turn into anything inflamatory in this thread.)

Fuelbi

Banned via Warnings
Bah never mind I couldnt find a map showing a ****ing river. I mean like if a river runs through a contour line the line that the river runs through will bend up... sorry if you dont get me

Evil Eye

Selling the Lie
BRoomer
I admit I never understood why so many would willingly wear these slimy green hats, but once I put one on I realized it was truly euphoric to do so. The Buddhists wore these hats, and referred to the state they put you in as "nirvana".

I now do not understand why anyone would NOT want to wear one.

TigerWoods

Smash Champion
Wherever you want me to be... If you're female.
Why did evolution give us a frontal lobe? Does any one know this? Like, why, on an evolutionary level, are we able to think abstractly and question ourselves and our knowledge (and everything the frontal lobe does)?
No one really knows "why", however it is evolutionarily advantageous to be able to question. A lot of decisions necessary or beneficial to the survival of our species has to do with abstract thinking.

stealthwarrior17

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
2938-7216-1604
i dont get how human child development is so long when compared to other organisms. I mean i know its because we have large brains (long story of the scientific reasons) but it bites...

Why dont people, especially young teens and adults, use protection during sex? ITS NOT WORTH IT, be smart. I dont understand these types of people.

Healer

Smash Apprentice
I don't get the Westboro Baptist Church, you know the people who are a proud owner of godhates***s.com, my bro believes that they must be like inbred or something

I also don't get how "strong and powerful our body is" when people like are in the freakin ER everyday.

Caleb Wolfbrand

Smash Master
I don't get people who are so mean to noobs to things. If someone doesn't know how to do something and they want to know and ask, what good is it to tell them to "stfu noob" or tell them something false as a joke? People can be so ridiculously awful sometimes. Everyone was a noob once.

GoldShadow

Marsilea quadrifolia
BRoomer
Noobs/n00bs are people who are extremely annoying and/or new. "Newbs" are people who are just new. For instance, I was never a noob at anything but I have been a newb! But yeah, telling off a newb is uncalled for.

Healer

Smash Apprentice
Noobs/n00bs are people who are extremely annoying and/or new. "Newbs" are people who are just new. For instance, I was never a noob at anything but I have been a newb! But yeah, telling off a newb is uncalled for.
so there's a difference?

Smash Master
I think n00b is someone who sucks but thinks they're teh ubr1337haxorz. It's okay to be mean to them.

I don't get why my tongue doesn't digest in my mouth, but other meat does.

Smash Master
no, try letting a cracker sit in your mouth for a few minutes. Eventually all the starches will turn into sugars. You can tell b/c the cracker will start tasting sweet.

I assume saliva can also begin to break down proteins similarly, but obviously not my own tongue. I'd like to know why.

Zero Beat

Cognitive Scientist
NNID
BLUE
3DS FC
4141-3279-8878
Lol this is a rather fuzzy concept but I'd say noob is just a derivative of newb, a synonym perhaps.

Smash Master
Okay, since I don't like to be wrong, and I really don't like ignorant people telling me I'm wrong, I went and looked up the answer for myself.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amylase

Last time I ask smashboards for answers to my inane questions.

Ocean, please don't provide an answer that you are unsure of without qualifying that you aren't sure of it. I mean that as like a general life policy.

Regarding The View: I hate talk shows with primarily female panels. They always come across as sexist to me.

Top Bottom