• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The things you don't get in life.

CRASHiC

Smash Hero
Inflation.
I've stayed after school to try to get it to make sense to me, but I don't understand it. I get why it happens, I just don't get how the system supports itself. the only cause of inflation that makes any sense to me is the printing of money, all the economic causes out side of that, I don't understand it.

Scott!

Smash Lord
gases can float. liquids, not so much. Thus it accelerates towards the earth.

Call me stupid, but I still never understood exactly how trains switch railway lines on those crossing rails. I shall find out soon enough though :)
I'd recommend finding either a video of a train switch, or seeing one work in real life. It's pretty simple once you see it, but kind of complicated to explain.

I'll try anyway, but it'll be awkward to read, I suspect. So, you've got a train track. At some point, it splits like a Y. The train is coming from the base of the Y. At the point of the split, there's a device. There is a gap in the tracks there. It has sliding rail sections that will complete the rails in either direction, and they slide side to side depending on which way the train needs to go. At least, that's how LEGO ones work. I'm sure that the ones they use for public transit are refined and are more complicated, but that's the basic idea at least.

Ocean

Smash Master
Slippi.gg
OCEAN#0
Inflation.
I've stayed after school to try to get it to make sense to me, but I don't understand it. I get why it happens, I just don't get how the system supports itself. the only cause of inflation that makes any sense to me is the printing of money, all the economic causes out side of that, I don't understand it.
the printing of money causes more money to be circulating in a economy, thus the value of 1 goes down.

imagine you have 5 crystals. there are only 5 crystals in the world, so obviously they are going to be very wanted right? the amount of demand is way higher than the amount supplied, which causes these crystals to be worth more, meaning people would be willing to pay more for them.

now imagine you have 5,000,000 crystals. obviously, these are worthless because the supply is more than the demand. because of this, people aren't willing to pay as much as they would if there were 5 crystals.

now replace crystals with money and thats the basic principles.

A17

Smash Ace
NNID
Okrapaeli
hmm, food for thought, eh.

Here's a new one. 3 Club soda cans from a while back, probably a year at least. they're NOT full, but they are NOT open. the bottom of each can has some grimy gunk on it even though the cans were placed on their sides I believe.

My guess is that cans in the aluminum have tiny pores where liquids won't seep through until a really long time. similar concept would be your skin, except your skins pores are organic and will naturally absorb liquids.

¯\_S.(ツ).L.I.D._/¯

Smash Legend
I don't get the number "google." People say "a google," but it has 100 zeros, which makes it seem like it should be "10 ______." Basically, if you have 1,000,000,000, then it's "a billion" and every large number like that with a number of zeros divisible by 3 is "a ______" or "1 ______." But a google would be like this: 10,000,000........ a hundred zeros. So why isn't it "ten google?"

Sorry if that doesn't make much sense. It'd be easier if I could type out a google but I don't feel like it. It's difficult to explain.

GoldShadow

Marsilea quadrifolia
BRoomer
hmm, food for thought, eh.

Here's a new one. 3 Club soda cans from a while back, probably a year at least. they're NOT full, but they are NOT open. the bottom of each can has some grimy gunk on it even though the cans were placed on their sides I believe.

My guess is that cans in the aluminum have tiny pores where liquids won't seep through until a really long time. similar concept would be your skin, except your skins pores are organic and will naturally absorb liquids.
I seriously doubt aluminum cans have any "pores" that liquid will seep through. Aluminum cans are essentially 100% solid; nothing gets in or out.

You said there was gunk at the bottom of can. I'm guessing the liquid (and stuff in the liquid) started to solidify and precipitate over time. Or did you mean on the bottom of the outside of the can? It's also possible that the cans simply weren't filled all the way to begin with.

See this link as well:
http://www.newton.dep.anl.gov/askasci/gen06/gen06063.htm

PUNK9

Smash Journeyman
I don't get the number "google." People say "a google," but it has 100 zeros, which makes it seem like it should be "10 ______." Basically, if you have 1,000,000,000, then it's "a billion" and every large number like that with a number of zeros divisible by 3 is "a ______" or "1 ______." But a google would be like this: 10,000,000........ a hundred zeros. So why isn't it "ten google?"

Sorry if that doesn't make much sense. It'd be easier if I could type out a google but I don't feel like it. It's difficult to explain.

i understand what your saying, and the best thing i can think of, is that google, isnt a number with ten 0's, maybe its 9 0's?

GoldShadow

Marsilea quadrifolia
BRoomer

It's just 10^100. Why does it have to be divisible by 3? It doesn't follow the million/billion/trillion/etc scheme, that's all. It's just the name for 10^100. By the way, "Google" is a search engine. "Googol" is the number. The name for 10^99 is duotrigintillion.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Names_of_large_numbers

It's the same type of thing as an angstrom, which is 10^-10 meters. A millimeter is 10^-3 meters, a micrometer is 10^-6 meters, a nanometer is 10^-9 meters, a picometer is 10^-12 meters, a femtometer is 10^-15 meters... but the angstrom isn't part of that scheme, it's just kind of thrown in there as 10^-10 meters. Same deal as googol. It's not part of the same scheme, it's just an arbitrary value set at 10^100.

Fuelbi

Banned via Warnings
I know what it does but I want to know how it does. I know a boat floats because of bouyancy but how does it work? Some complicated equation or something

GoldShadow

Marsilea quadrifolia
BRoomer
I know what bouyancy is but how does it work. Like how does stuff float?
It's based on Newtown's third law (equal and opposite reactions).

The buoyant force is equal to the weight of the liquid displaced.

So let's say something (like a toy boat) weighs 10 kg, but because of its shape, the amount of water it displaces is 15L. The mass of 15L of water is 15 kg.

The most simple physics equation is F=ma (force equals mass times acceleration). The force of the toy boat is mass (10 kg) times acceleration due to gravity (approx 10 m/s^2). So the force of the toy boat is 100N. The buoyant force of the water is 15kg times 10 m/s^2, or about 150N. Since the buoyant force (150N) is greater than the weight of the toy boat (100N), the boat floats.

So basically, it's when the force of the volume of displaced water is greater than the force of the object. This is why objects like giant steel ships float in water; their shape displaces a volume of water whose force is greater than the weight of the ship.

¯\_S.(ツ).L.I.D._/¯

Smash Legend

Fuelbi

Banned via Warnings
Thanks guys for explaining bouyancy

Time for another stupid one: I dont get gravity. I know that mass determines gravity but I dont know exactly how mass affects gravity. Like an apple falls and you know that the earths mass affects it, but how exactly is it that mass affects gravity?

(bear with me Im taking earth space and Im an 8th grader.... that means Im taking an advanced course so I know nothing about the earth)

Shade613

Smash Apprentice
Mass is anything that rakes up space. The more mass an object has, the stronger the gravataional pull it has. Gravity works like a bunch of sheets on top of eachother. If you put a bowling ball on the sheets then they will bend downwards. If you then put marbels on the sheets they would roll twoards the bowling ball.

Fuelbi

Banned via Warnings
Bah I know that, but how does it happen. Why(or how. Whichever one sounds better) does mass produce gravity is what Im trying to ask

GoldShadow

Marsilea quadrifolia
BRoomer
Bolded was basically what I was looking for. Thanks.
Is your avatar Crash Bandicoot? If so, that is awesome.

Bah I know that, but how does it happen. Why(or how. Whichever one sounds better) does mass produce gravity is what Im trying to ask
This is something that even I don't fully understand, but gravity is linked to the fabric of space-time. See if this picture helps at all (more massive things create a bigger "depression" in the fabric of space time and pull things down more):
http://www.astronomynotes.com/evolutn/grwarp.gif

The picture demonstrates bending of light, but larger solid objects probably work similarly.

Scott!

Smash Lord
Honestly, I don't think even scientists on the cutting edge of physics really know how matter causes gravity. They know that it does and how strongly it does, but they don't really know why. Or at least that's what my physics professor told me a couple years ago.

highfive

Smash Lord
It's an octopus in a tuxedo. What's not to get?

I don't get popcorn. Why does it pop and how can I prevent my other precious kernels of corn from popping unwittingly?

zrky

Smash Lol'd
I don't get popcorn. Why does it pop and how can I prevent my other precious kernels of corn from popping unwittingly?
I actually just saw this on Mythbusters yesterday:laugh:
In the kernel there is a lot of moisture, and of course the starch. Having an impermeable coating the moisture cannot escape the kernel (this part is very important). When the kernel is heated enough, the moisture starts to basically "boil" and almost liquifies the starch. As the pressure from the vapor increases it bursts the kernel's coating releasing the starch that very quickly hardens, and voila, you have popcorn.

I don't understand your second question.

Zero Beat

Cognitive Scientist
NNID
BLUE
3DS FC
4141-3279-8878
Honestly, I don't think even scientists on the cutting edge of physics really know how matter causes gravity. They know that it does and how strongly it does, but they don't really know why. Or at least that's what my physics professor told me a couple years ago.
Perhaps it is because the "Why" isn't very important. What is the color of jealousy? Of Envy?

We can measure gravity(which ties into pointing out where/proving dark matter) as well.

Firestormzero0

Smash Ace
i dont get why nobody knows that the government is corrupt and stealing money from you everyday. There is a Movement Called the ZeitGeist Movement. I know this Movie may seem boring at the beginning. But Watch this whole thing and spread it too your friends and make sure they spread it too. We need everyone in america to know this. This will also tell you the truth about religion. (any Religion)

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-594683847743189197#

CRASHiC

Smash Hero
Oh! I love this.
Apprentally, the theory going around now is that gravity doesn't exist in our universe. It leaks in through the strings that make up all matter from another universe where gravity is equal to all other forces of the universe. Thus, this is why my arm can out power the force of gravity made by the earth, or a tiny magnate over powering the earth

Scott!

Smash Lord
Perhaps it is because the "Why" isn't very important. What is the color of jealousy? Of Envy?

We can measure gravity(which ties into pointing out where/proving dark matter) as well.
True, but it's the why that always seems to captivate us as curious beings. In a cosmic sense, perhaps there is no why, but as humans, we have to ask. Oh, and green, of course.

Oh! I love this.
Apprentally, the theory going around now is that gravity doesn't exist in our universe. It leaks in through the strings that make up all matter from another universe where gravity is equal to all other forces of the universe. Thus, this is why my arm can out power the force of gravity made by the earth, or a tiny magnate over powering the earth
I think my head just exploded a little bit. Seriously, the more I try to think about that theory, the more my head is just losing its ability to function. Not exactly ideal, as it's Monday morning and I have class and such, but that's how it is.

BBQTV

Smash Master
i dont get the internet zam like is it in the computer like where is it zam like i looked on google earth and smashboards cant be found zam

GoldShadow

Marsilea quadrifolia
BRoomer
i dont get why nobody knows that the government is corrupt and stealing money from you everyday. There is a Movement Called the ZeitGeist Movement. I know this Movie may seem boring at the beginning. But Watch this whole thing and spread it too your friends and make sure they spread it too. We need everyone in america to know this. This will also tell you the truth about religion. (any Religion)

For the love of all that is good and holy, please don't buy into that conspiracy theory garbage.

It is all nonsense, I promise you, just like that ridiculous Loose Change video.

CRASHiC

Smash Hero
I think my head just exploded a little bit. Seriously, the more I try to think about that theory, the more my head is just losing its ability to function. Not exactly ideal, as it's Monday morning and I have class and such, but that's how it is.
Check out the PBS Nova special on String Theory. It explains every inch of it there. I had to watch it three times to get just a basic understanding of it all.

Scott!

Smash Lord
Check out the PBS Nova special on String Theory. It explains every inch of it there. I had to watch it three times to get just a basic understanding of it all.
Now I wanna check that out definitely. I don't know much about string theory beyond that matter at its basest level is made of string-like structures or something along those lines. I should learn the ropes of it so if/when they find proof, or at least a way to really test it, I'll know what they're talking about.

Ocean

Smash Master
Slippi.gg
OCEAN#0

oh lawd not this **** again.

Clownbot

Smash Lord
I don't get how CDs and MP3 players and the like can hold songs the way they do. It's kind of a marvel to me, even though I'm young enough to have been around this technology as long as I can remember.

....I prefer not to have this message addressed; I like it when some things in life are a complete mystery to me.

Scott!

Smash Lord
I don't get how CDs and MP3 players and the like can hold songs the way they do. It's kind of a marvel to me, even though I'm young enough to have been around this technology as long as I can remember.

....I prefer not to have this message addressed; I like it when some things in life are a complete mystery to me.
Clownbot, don't read the thread for a while, cause I don't get it either, but I'd like to know, if someone cares to explain it.

Also, the "zam" thing is just silly. I don't know where it comes from, but unless the origins are very epic, it just seems like some stupid mini-meme that does nothing other than to make your post stand out and make people wonder what's wrong with you.

Top Bottom