• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Temple of Time~The Zelda Tournament and Video Archive~Vids Critiqued Here!

Alacion

Sunny skies
Premium
NNID
Alacion
3DS FC
0216-0918-5299
I've been playing around with Farore's Boost lately. I find it's semi-helpful as the boost can make sure you're above the stage before you teleport and you can teleport directly down or diagonally making it a mini mindgame >_>.

There may be more use for Farore's Wind than I thought...

AlanHaTe

Smash Ace
2 weeks of absence and I see good stuff here =D

well done, I have to bring new and good results ASAP!!

Rizen

Smash Legend

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691
I need help, this Mario totally overwhelmed me (the first stock I do blame wifail though).
Critique please?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ax9b6CPNCz8

(Not for critiques)
I'm getting better but need to use Dtilt and Nair properly, plus space better.
Here's a few recent videos:
VS kiddo
TL
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oRqsqM-NdOs
CF (I played well in this one)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=APmqHIT4V-w
vs Doodle (DK)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gmM9bcl9QU0
Okay, I'm going to try and be gentle but you need a lot of work man. The first thing that I saw was the way you've approached with Zelda. FH fair I believe I thought maybe it was a mistake but you continued to through out those LK. That's a no-no man that's not how you want to approach with Zelda nor do you want to through out LK's like that. Instead what you should practice is punishing with LK's so that you can get decent punishes when your opponent hits your shield. You should also practice sweet spotting the LK's so that you're able to sweetspot them more often. The next thing I noticed was your overuse of dsmash I know it's online and I tend to do the same things but you gotta relax with that move it's insanely lagly on cool down and you will get punished for it.

Then your DI was pretty bad there's no reason Mario's throw should kill you at those percentages it doesn't matter that you're on the edge of the stage that was still just bad DI. Learn how to DI properly since Zelda is light and it's vital for a light character to be able to DI correctly.

You're also going to need to learn the range of fsmash and use that more to space properly it's one of Zelda's best moves and it's one you should lean on more depending on the distance of your opponent. For the whole match I really was unsure of what you're trying do (beside LK) it didn't seem as though you were reacting to what your opponent was doing you were just doing things. Also roll less and don't just randomly sit in your shield when nothing is going on. Please incorporate nair into your game and also try and get a better grasp on Zelda's moves.

Rizen

Smash Legend
Okay, I'll try not to do those things; thanks for the critique :) .
My problem is I don't know what to do instead of what I did wrong so most of the match I was in a fog. And I don't know the MU, need to learn that.
How should I have handled the situation?

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691
Okay, I'll try not to do those things; thanks for the critique :) .
My problem is I don't know what to do instead of what I did wrong so most of the match I was in a fog. And I don't know the MU, need to learn that.
How should I have handled the situation?
Nair and fsmash more mix in some dtilts and powershield his projectiles. The Mario in the vid isn't really doing much of anything he's only really just bairing and then hitting you with smash attacks when you whiff your moves. Also if your opponent is holding onto the ledge instead of just dsmashing a bunch of times you can take a couple of steps back and try to get a read on what they're going to do (get up attack jump roll). Fsmash should cover this mostly. Or you can look to see if their invincibility frames run out and get a random spike from dtilt. You also gotta make it tougher for Mario to get into you he doesn't have the range or the moves to just have his way with you like that. Learn the range on fsmash and space it properly. You gotta get a better handle on Zelda's moves.

So what I think you need to do in order to get better with Zelda is.

First understand her moves much more. Zelda has some good moves (despite what others may say) you gotta be able to maximize the potential of those moves.

Second space better you're not getting any where if you're attempting to punish spot dodge's with usmash or if you're whiffing them or throw at a million dsmash. (If you feel the need to dsmash dtilt). If you think think usmash range is off then fsmash.

However, it's not all bad I did see something I liked and that's when you started to use jab towards then on his shield then you we're able to anti air him with it. You could of had a follow up too it too but you messed it up.

Also check this thread out. It's old and they updated it but I like it a little better for explaining some things with Zelda.

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=218082

Then once you read that thread check out this thread.

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=290399

Then when you're finished with that hit the lab (practice mode). practice once you're do practicing and are feeling more comfortable get some more vids out there and we'll see if you've made some progress. Also I'd advise against reading the guide (no offense) but I don't think it'll help you at all.

Rizen

Smash Legend
^Thanks, those were good reads. I didn't realize Zelda had so much ending lag:c.
So Nair's hits except the last can't be DIed, that's useful. It's slightly like a worse MK tornado. I can see how landing canceling those could be really good.

I wasn't sure who I could Dtilt because one of the few characters I tried it on happened to be DK, lol. No Dtilt lock for DK or Samus.

I also didn't realize Nair gave invincibility like Wolf's reflector and was trying to use it before the opponent's attack came out.

MechaWave

Smash Champion
Legend practically said everything you need to work on. You're using way too many Lightning Kicks, and even worse, approaching with them. This Mario isn't as bad as you think, you could have beaten him.

• Use Dtilts around 40%-70% and finish off with a Smash (or dash attack if he's far away.)
• Use Dthrow <15% to rack up damage if you can successfully pull off follow-ups. Look here for some follow-ups you can do.
• You need to DI correctly. I recommend viewing this video and part 2. With Zelda, you need to fast-fall Bair (input Bair on the C-stick and press Down on the Control Stick.) It takes time to get used to. Even better, but more advanced and tricky, is to do the same thing but B-reverse Nayru's Love (immediatley rotate the control stick in the opposite direction Zelda's facing and press B.)
• You need to get out of the habit of rolling. You can use it if you're in a bad situation but don't be like those Wi-Fi noobs that roll over the whole stage. It gets easy to read.
• You're not edgehogging. Even though it's a pain to edgehog Mario's third jump, you can certainly try. You can also use Din's Fire if appropriate.
• Don't jab.
• If your opponent is planking, don't Dsmash. You're staling it. Either use Dtilt (it can potentially spike) or stay away from the edge.
• You have to READ your opponent and adapt. This Mario was getting Bairs on you (not even trying to use Uairs) and when you were open he would use a Smash attack. He knew you would Dsmash him on the ledge so to avoid this he would roll-up onto the stage.
• Unlike most get-up attacks, Zelda has very good ones. Use them wisely but don't overuse them.

Further information you can read about is my Zelda Hitbox Reference Thread, which tells you the properties of each attack Zelda has and its range and angle trajectory the attack sends the opponent.

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691
I'm feeling everything you're saying mecha except for the don't jab part =/. It actually would of lead to a grab would could of a lead to a dthrow and then you could of had some dthrow shennigans and close to the edge I'd just jump off and dair and tell mario to hold dat.

^Thanks, those were good reads. I didn't realize Zelda had so much ending lag:c.
So Nair's hits except the last can't be DIed, that's useful. It's slightly like a worse MK tornado. I can see how landing canceling those could be really good.

I wasn't sure who I could Dtilt because one of the few characters I tried it on happened to be DK, lol. No Dtilt lock for DK or Samus.

I also didn't realize Nair gave invincibility like Wolf's reflector and was trying to use it before the opponent's attack came out.
I didn't realize that either... but seriously I'm not sure where you got that from.

MechaWave

Smash Champion
Game 1:
Very nice Sheik. Ed can probably give you more MU information or obviously the Sheik boards can.

• You're using Bair a lot, and unlike most characters, people can easily tell what Sheik will throw out when she's in the air (at least for me anyways.) It is my aerial of choice, but mix it up with Fair.
• You must have fell for that combo from Yoshi (grab release -> Fair), I hope.
• Later you start being a little random with Sheik's dash attack. Be responsive/consistent in what you have to do (this applies to any character) to your opponent so stuff like this doesn't happen frequently.
• Try grab releasing -> DACUS. This mindgame is effective to tell your opponent "PAY ATTENTION!"
• You're momentum cancelling but not doing the DI part first. I dunno if you're like me, but I do this a lot when I rightfully know I'm supposed to.
• You always switch to Zelda to KO. That's great, but maybe in the future try to KO with Sheik (you didn't use Uair alot, so it would have killed maybe, or Vanish). This works better in sets that are longer.
• Ugh what an awful situation with Zelda on the last stock. She's kind of hopeless here.

Game 2
Very nice, you got it!
• You are using the Dthrow follow-ups perfectly. Keep doing what you're doing.
• As you're coming downwards from a strong hit you can use Nair as an anti-air move on some characters with larger hurtboxes. Yoshi is one of them, but keep in mind it's situational. It's because a character's movement from jumping will usually go up as you come down, and the side hitboxes of Nair never move from their position.
• Momentum cancelling what Dair? Too much startup lag to be effective.
• Great idea to use Bair instead to KO.
• MORE DTILTS! Rely on Dthrow follow-ups earlier in the stock, and Dtilt in the mid-percents.
• HA, STAGE SPIKE WITH DIN'S! XD

Alacion

Sunny skies
Premium
NNID
Alacion
3DS FC
0216-0918-5299
Haha, thanks for that!

I've only joined the community a few months ago and learning stuff has been kind of tough. I really appreciate all the feedback you guys have.

(I don't really di -> momentum cancel well, everybody does it so I just do an aerial :x)

MechaWave

Smash Champion
I don't either. I dunno how people can know what direction they're going to be in. Momentum cancelling is easy, though.

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691
Haha, thanks for that!

I've only joined the community a few months ago and learning stuff has been kind of tough. I really appreciate all the feedback you guys have.

(I don't really di -> momentum cancel well, everybody does it so I just do an aerial :x)
DI is just holding a direction after you've been hit. So let's say you get hit by an Usmash you just hold left or right and instead of going straight up you go in the direction you pressed. After you DI'd you'd then FF an aerial(typically your fastest) so that you'll leave hit stun. Then you double jump. Pretty sure there some other stuff involved i'll look for a vid on youtube really fast.

Here's the vid:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5hQIy7P7RWo

MechaWave

Smash Champion
Yeah, it's tough but I think I'm slowly getting there.
It's just a matter of reflex. It's like pressing R right before an aerial in Melee to do L-cancelling, it grows on you, but DI'ing is much easier.

I've had trouble doing it, and I'm still not perfect. Though Zelda is one of the easier characters to DI with because of how fast Bair comes out and usually you want to fast-fall your aerial attacks anyway. After that mastery, then DI'ing with Nayru's Love is even better, but that's a different level. :3

Mocha

Coffee Addict
In the land of princesses, frogs, and dragons
NNID
Mocha151
3DS FC
4640-0063-5592
Battle Network 3

Singles

:zelda: Mocha: 100% Zelda

Battle Network 3, Houston, TX (10/22/11)
9 out of 18 singles
Tourney link: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?p=13570373#post13570373

Doubles

:zelda: + :gw: Mocha + Diska

Battle Network 3, Houston, TX (10/22/11)
5 out of 7 doubles
Tourney link: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?p=13570373#post13570373

Videos

I didn't get a chance to save anything, but a lot of stuff got recorded on RT's computer so it's possible something of mine may show up. Will keep you updated

---

Comments: Very fun tourney. We got there kind of late and they were in the middle of doubles, and because of that, we had to start on loser's brackets right away lol. On my singles matches, I SD'd too many times for my own good <.< Then I did friendlies and didn't SD at all lol.

MechaWave

Smash Champion
Very good, Mocha. Trela... Gnes... RAZER?! May the goddesses bestow luck upon your wisdom and hardwork.

Mocha

Coffee Addict
In the land of princesses, frogs, and dragons
NNID
Mocha151
3DS FC
4640-0063-5592
Thanks guys =)

Yeah those players are amazing. It may be tough to get ranked among these players but in a way, I like the challenge. Also, I was the only low tier in this tourney lol. I played a ton of Olimars in friendlies too ;o

MechaWave

Smash Champion
Envy, Mocha. I wanna play the best Sheik ever. :[
Unfortunately, money is an issue for me, otherwise I would definitely go.

Rizen

Smash Legend
Wifis

Rizen vs QDawg (Marth)
(I meant to edgehog not drop when the first SD happened)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E4vTJZPqkB8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vnBfxOqSOCI

RizenZelda vs ridemybike (Diddy)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vsb8UBc6Guc
Wolf
(he was sandbag-taunting because the stage but I like my combo at the end 1:51)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WyfH4rm15eU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eG8m40Nq8Ys

If someone has a few minutes free would you critique one of these please?
Marth
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E4vTJZPqkB8
Wolf
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eG8m40Nq8Ys

MechaWave

Smash Champion
And I swear our names look almost the same from a glance!
I know! xD
I saw these two.

For one thing, that Diddy sucks ***. Don't practice against him ever again.
This Marth isn't that good either but better, so I'll do that one.

• For one thing, you're too slow. Zelda is both offensive and defensive, and you'll have to find a good balance between them. That Marth was using Down-B on Din's Fire while you were (for no reason) camping with them. This was time for offensive Zelda. Your reactions are also off and weird.
• You play with Smash attacks too much. Fuujin's avatar isn't too be taken THAT literally. They are amazing, yes, but predictable. Mix it up with Utilt and Ftilt.
• DTILTS!!! WHERE ARE THEY?!! Use them around 55%-80%.
• DTHROW FOLLOW-UPS!!! Your opponents are pretty stupid and you can obviously deal some heavy damage (Dthrow -> Usmash -> Nair).
• When in doubt, Nayru's Love. This will get you out of some pickle situations.
• Please learn to DI correctly. It's easy to do but it takes a long time to do it consistently (as I don't do it correctly all the time).
• Hmm, while this is sorta good, you don't use a lot of Lightning Kicks. Opponents will fear this.
• Every time you're hit faraway (but not too far like a KO potential hit) you air dodge. Don't do this a whole bunch as Zelda has ways to get out (Nayru's Love if your opponent is coming at you expecting a strong hit.)
• Please stop randomly using Din's Fire to camp. Your opponent is too close and really bad. I can't exactly explain what situations you should use this in, as really it's an "instinct".
• If you're on the ledge and your opponent is right next to it (or a little bit far) you can use a Fair.

You have a lot of work to do but you're not bad. Play faster and read your opponent. Play mindgames. If you want real practice other than these buffoons, use the AllisBrawl ladder.

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691
I watched the Marth vid man and I see you're using some more fsmashes which is a good thing. You gotta learn when to use Zelda's grab and when to dash attack. There was way too many dash attacks on shield. Also you need to punish better you could of ledge drop LK one of Marth's up b and uair the seconded one. Also I'd like to request that you go a match with out using LK and dsmash and look for to other moves with Zelda. Be more careful with nayru's and din's.

Top Bottom