• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

| The Tempest | A QLD Major Tournament | See latest post for a Montage :3

I am interested in attending 'The Tempest'

• Total voters

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
I'm thinking I'll be using Shaya's setup for thriller, meaning you have to be at the venue both days to compete in either event. Pools Saturday, Bracket Sunday.

Except Doubles. Brawl is day 1, Melee day 2 for doubles. (If I decide on that setup, I'm not sure yet).

Testikills

Smash Journeyman
Vyse I would suggest getting a timeline set up pretty quickly, Bob and myself were talking to Slapper on Sunday after the Gametraders stuff and he wants to put some Smash up on the Projector and live stream it with commentary, we just need a set time so they can work SSF4 around us.

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
Yeah I know, but the problem is it is almost never strictly on time.
I talked to Bob about it as well. I'll figure it out soon.
: /

EverAlert

Smash Master
NNID
EVAL89
3DS FC
2664-2214-3431
95% confirmed for this; the only reason I wouldn't be going is if I end up being well and truly desperate for every last dollar for America.

Housing would be very much appreciated. ;)

Aussierob123

Smash Champion
Don't be a ****, that would be horrendously gay for people that only play one game and it's so close to exams that I probably can't commit 2 days to smash. Pretty sure I may not even be able to commit one day cuz of exams...

Sloth

Smash Ace
Usually I can never commit an entire weekend. But you have a few months to at least ask work + run by gf/bf etc..
Pretty sure july 4th is after Uni exams at least?

The two day system worked well at Thriller, I preferred it over everything being done in one day. The plus sides were:

-More people show up each day so more people watch finals.
-Everything runs smoother as its not as time-constrained
-You don't need to show up early and finish at like 11pm.
-If you wanted to try out melee/brawl its easy to join in with pools. If you get kicked out you then don't need to attend the next day just to play the alternative game (this lead to more melee players playing brawl and brawl players playing melee, even if it isn't thier game of choice)

CAOTIC

Woxy
BRoomer
Splitting over two days was highly successful at Rocky as well. I always believed the games never should be separated by days - at least in Australia. The event is a lot more comfortably paced and people don't burn out as much if they only play 1 game. If you can't commit to a weekend for a major with 3 months notice, the problem is your own schedule - not the TO's.

And Sloth is referring to cross-fertilisation. Bi-Smashuals and stuff, yo <3

Oh, I just applied for a job in Brisbane. Imagine what would happen if I got it, lol (besides more money) :p

Aussierob123

Smash Champion
For some reason with med schools and I imagine other universities that run by tri-mesters, june / july is right on exam period, specifically July so that's why I probably couldn't go for a whole weekend sloth.

But yeah I support splitting the games across two days to avoid people burning out, but not pools on one day and bracket on the next, there isn't going to be enough people to justify that unless you run crews aswell on sunday.

Besides I kinda like pools to warm me up for bracket :( it takes me hours to get warmed up cuz im bad.

Hotdog

Smash Lord
Yea, running over 2 days seems to work the best, also gets more attendance. Come on guys it's like 1 and a half months away, you have plenty of time to work your schedule around that weekend.

YAYAYAYAYAY Cao might be moving to Brisbane =D

Therefore QLD = The **** Melee State hahaha

Dekar289

Smash Hero
yer now that i smash cao 5 times a day he moves to brisbane to vs people he can beat
as expected

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
Wikipedia said:
The Pareto principle (also known as the 80-20 rule,[1] the law of the vital few, and the principle of factor sparsity) states that, for many events, roughly 80% of the effects come from 20% of the causes.
That is, if I were to base 80% of the schedule around you guys, I'd only be catering to the demands of 20% of the player population.

Sorry guys. Even Amaterasu says he's just going to have to work around the timing of The Tempest. And this is the guy who took his work to study at one LanSmash past.

I might still consider doing Pools + Brackets for each game per day with the doubles being on the opposing day, but don't count on it. It didn't really do much either last time as most people just skipped that doubles event instead, which defeats the purpose.

Sirias

Smash Champion
Come live here so we can all go out clubbing every weekend with peeps, AGAIN AND AGAIN!
OOOH YAYAAA~~~ <3
And I'll have money, so I can get wasted. c:

Edit:

Oh right, Tempest.
Yeah, I'll be there maybe zzz.
c: K on topic.

undead_moose

Smash Lord
Yeah sorry I can't get anymore time off work as I got a week off for my uncles wedding. So I guess I just can't go. Unless tempest is running melée sometime past 12 on saturday I can't commit. Rocky had 80 people to cater for. Tempest will have max 30

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer

Excuse me Moose?

Tempest will easily have 50+ people with my goal being 70 people which would equate to a minimum $500 pot for Brawl. (Unless more people enter only Melee). I've done far too much planning for it to fall over like that, meeting with Game Traders and hopefully soon the Manabar for support.

In either case, you'd probably be able to make it in time for Melee pools. I'd probably run Brawl doubles first I think.

undead_moose

Smash Lord
Boy did i kick the hive here.

I didnt mean to troll at all and i am brutely honest here anthony

Our biggest "National" Tourny was QBB and that was border 60. As I was saying to peeps. We just dont have the star power that other states have. Brawl wise that is. Which is what i believe you are focusing on in the promotions yes?

EDIT: Testikills if i recall i beat you at your own game? yes? yes? with falco? when i play ike? yeah ? yeah? Dont say things like that please. I do give up really easily if you know me but i dont bag on people i hardly know.

Except for dekar

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
Fighting trolling with trolling isn't what I want to see here, so get it back on topic - This means you Dean :mad:

I've marked off about 5 jobs on my 40-strong job list. Mostly talking to the stakeholders involved (save for the Manabar because Yug had to 'postpone', but slapper is helping me on that front.

The HQ Posters are with Michael from Game Traders now, so I'll ring him tommorrow and see if they're up yet.

I've investigated prices on Video Cameras and I'm thinking I'll be spending somewhere in the $200 mark.

A Projector Screen would be nice to get a hold of. Anybody got one just lying around?

Tournament TOs: Remember we have a meeting at PMS this Saturday. We're going to have to split it up a bit since Kaion probably won't be able to stay too long.

I still need to figure out the schedule in my head.
I'm thinking:
Sat: Brawl Doubles - Brawl Pools - Staggered Melee Pools
Sunday: Melee Doubles - Melee Bracket - Brawl Bracket - ???

@People wanting to be Tournament TO's: So far we have =
LS Smash Admin: Myself
Brawl TO's: Hotdog (I'd like Kaion to become one as well)
Melee TO's: Dif, Jesse
N64 TO: DJ Cat
Transport Director: James (Yokai)
Judges: Luke, ????

I'm looking for a Director of Food and Director of Videography. Post or PM if you're interested in either.

EDIT:

Moose, I will give you $50 if Tempest doesn't break 50 people.
I took that comment as a troll because I really am that confident.

QBB had 70+ people (only just) with 69 entering Brawl singles. (lololol)

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
Do you have some kind of worker's discount? It's good to have you as an option anyhow.

I have a few different options with printing, and Game Traders can heavily subsidize the cost of printing (and will even laminate a few for free). Basically they intend to make no money off me, so I imagine I'd be getting stuff printed off for barely anything.

luke_atyeo

Smash Hero
lol I was right, about the only time I've had good memory.

anyways yeah I'll be a judge if you need it, do I need to be part of this meeting? pms is...? do I need to learn to teleport? (actually it'd be faster and cooler to just wizard kick over there)

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
Hopefully this ends in you and Luke arguing over who is right :p

EDIT: Ninja'd by Luke.
Yes the meeting is compulsory. I'll see you at 2:30pm on Saturday at Robina's town centre.

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
The rationale is that food is a large issue with the venue because we're not allowed to cook on site and there's no food outlets within reasonable walking distance.

Therefore I need someone who is willing to either cater the event by organising food to be cooked somewhere and bought to the venue, or organise a business to cater for us (Subway, etc).

luke_atyeo

Smash Hero
we had subway cater to us at one of zeros tourneys in hunter, that was pretty good, maybe you should ask zero to fill that spot for you.

Dekar289

Smash Hero
i would like a burger where kfc fillets replace the bread
and there's a kfc fillet in the middle
mm

Top Bottom