• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Super Ultra Newest TNR Recruitment Pg *disowns spammers*

FOB

Smash Ace
... Smash addicts are worse. Poker is a classic game that will never end. There are also more poker tournaments, and poker can be practiced online.

Smash is more appealing to me though.

bizybozo

Smash Journeyman
No energy for this. As long as I'm waiting for Scrubs to load, might as well.

First off, you should all know that my initial statement was prompted by not the first, nor the second, or even the third, but the fourth PM I had received from "thesage" nagging me about transport to Pound 2. Matt's not taking you, get over it. I threw in the 22 yr old remark because, well, it fit.

The only comment to really spark my response was phil's, so here's my rebuttal. Before I begin, phil, please note I mean no anger or spite, but some of the random shiit you said was unecessarily offensive, presumptious, and needs to be put down. I'd like to use your remark as the starting ground for reaffirming my initial statement.

It must be a pathetic conflicted existence to enjoy a game enough to frequent forums devoted to it but at the same time be convinced anyone who spends their free time on it is a complete loser. I knew a bunch of kids like you in high school. Being cool isn't about doing what you think others would have you do. The coolest kids in highschool are completely open about their dorky habbits and are confident enough that nobody gives them **** for it, and if someone does give them **** they're confident enough to shrug it off and continue to enjoy doing what they're doing (not that I think I'm cool in the slightest). Hopefully one day you'll look back and how silly being a drone was. Seeing how many tournaments you attend I don't even think you're in a position to judge what kind of time commitment a 22+ year old would need to devote to play competitive smash. I can assure you it's a very small sacrifice, cept for loser's pour, that is rough.

Who said anything about being cool? wtf? That's a random tangent. I never once mentioned being cool/dorky or high school, so maybe you've got some suppressed high school memories or something, but I don't know why you'd bring it up, it's quite off topic.

But while I’m on the subject, it's great you think I was a "drone" in high school, and you knew a "bunch of kids" like me; however, you could'nt be more wrong, as cliche as it is, "assuming truly makes an a$$ out of you and me." Where do you get off thinking you have any idea what I'm like? I view your arrogance as an attack on my character, so here's a taste of my individuality; I'm no "drone" at all.

I'm the kid joins the musical, then makes captain of the soccer team. I'm the guy who joins pep band and vocal jazz, then starts the Ultimate Frisbee Team at his school and helps organize the league throughout the summer. I’m the kid who’s lived in Jordan, Ethiopia, and California, with stories of Safaris and Sand Dune surfing. I’m the kid who takes tap dancing and fencing after school, and can be found tearing up the hacky-sack circles at lunch. I’m the kid who earns a 4.0 GPA taking 6 AP classes, gets into UC Berkeley, and goes to parties on the weekends. Not to mention I’m a living legend at my old school for tearing it up at assemblies, dances, and talent shows.

Do I think I’m cool? No. I move around every few years and constantly have to make new friends, and I’m insecure as hell about it. You’re the guy who randomly mentioned “coolness,” and, by your definition of the very word, I’m supposed to believe that the guy sitting next to me in AP Computer Science, who spends the period posting on WoW boards and is then “completely open about [his] dorky habbits” by telling me he plays World of Warcraft for five hours every night is therefore “cool,” because after I tell him he’s wasting his life away, “[he’s] confident enough to shrug it off and continues to enjoy doing what [he’s] doing”? Hmm. I guess all the stoners who sit in the corner of the parking lot and don’t give a rat’s a$$ about my opinion are “cool” too. That is a truly skewed definition of cool, Fonz, which is why I’m glad to know you don’t find yourself “cool in the slightest.”

Yea, I don’t go to tournies that often, and it feels great. Does that mean I can’t judge from my tournament experiences? Wtf logic is that? I guess I shouldn’t judge cocaine addicts either because hey, until you blow a line of crack, your in “no position to judge.” Everyone who believes that stand on your fvcking head.

Believe me, I know it’s a very different experience for a seasoned veteran. I’m well aware that after a certain point, you no longer go “train” at a smasher’s house (an ode to matt’s terminology). I realize most of these experienced players rarely play aside from tournies, and I can see how that is indeed a small sacrifice, at least, in terms of time commitment.

But I’ve moved on to bigger ideas. What kind of sacrifice is it to be a college graduate, let’s say, 22 years old, and drive to a high schooler’s house 45 minutes away for a “smashfest? on a Saturday afternoon? At no point does one step back and say, hmmm, maybe it’s time to move on?

Sure, I understand Joe’s point, how much can it hurt if it’s just something one does on the side. Go smash with you’re college buddies or roommates. I know plenty of guys even in their thirties and forties who still play video games. But do they go to tournaments on the weekends? Do they join chat boards filled with teens and college kids? No. That shiit is awkward. Granted, someone who’s 25 isn’t the same as a 35 year old, but man, there are SO many other things one could be doing.

A year ago, when I found out that Halo players (and other gamers) make a living off playing video games, I was like, dammn. That shiit is dope. Granted, except for a very select few (the pros), smash will never be a means of supporting a living. But even if it were, and even if that were obtainable, how much would I really want that to be my profession, my career? I know guys 24 years old clocking in six figures and practice a respectable profession, like global positioning system management for the armed forces, or A.I Engineering. Shiit man, I’d rather be scuba diving around the world and barely making it by!

There is SO much out there. So definitely don’t play smash competitively when you could be doing something with you’re time, like learning a skill or traveling, or god knows what. I really wouldn't want to be remembered as a "professional gamer."

As for me, I just like the game. Scratch that, I love to smash. Like any great video game its like a drug. Do I see myself in say, 4 years, going to smash tournies out in Berkeley? No. I’ll play every once in a while when a buddy comes over or wants to play online.

When I visit the boards or (“frequent forums devoted to [smash]”), and the by “the boards” mainly just this thread, its to see if anybody wants to smash or is holding a fest/tourney, and also to see if anyone's dumb enough to step into a losing argument (Wuss). So get off my jock.

Do I think everyone is a loser? No. But man, if you still think this argument is invalid, you’ve got something wrong with you.

P.S. Poker is a respectable game that's been around forever and will be around for years and years to come. It's like billiards/pool. I associate the two activites with being a hustler, a shark, a slick, tight muthafocka. I'd choose one of them over smash anyday of the week, at least, on a competitve standpoint.

EEvisu

Smash Lord
LMAO @ how long it prolly took him to think that out and write it.

thesage

Smash Hero
3DS FC
4957-3743-1481
You'd responded to my PM so that's why I responded back. I sent that to you a week ago now. Sorry if it pissed you off so much.

ChaosKnight

Smash Master
lol he only mnetions one when he sent 4 -.- ^^

oh and EE it prolly didnt take him as long as you think .. so dont try to say omg look at the wasted time he put into it ..

Fonz

Smash Ace
I’m supposed to believe that the guy sitting next to me in AP Computer Science, who spends the period posting on WoW boards and is then “completely open about [his] dorky habbits” by telling me he plays World of Warcraft for five hours every night is therefore “cool,” because after I tell him he’s wasting his life away, “[he’s] confident enough to shrug it off and continues to enjoy doing what [he’s] doing”? Hmm. I guess all the stoners who sit in the corner of the parking lot and don’t give a rat’s a$$ about my opinion are “cool” too. That is a truly skewed definition of cool, Fonz, which is why I’m glad to know you don’t find yourself “cool in the slightest.”
I suppose my tangent and armchair psychiatry were uncalled for, for that I am sorry. Without assuming, you're the guy who tells other people how they should be spending their lives. The WoW example isn't quite as bad though, because you aren't going on the WoW forums to tell them what they should change about their lives. Surely someone with your credentials must see how silly that is. I personally wasn't a smoke in the parking lot type, but if those kids were fun to hang out with and didn't bug me about my life choices I don't see what stops them from being cool. I don't think recreational drug use changes much in that respect.

Yea, I don’t go to tournies that often, and it feels great. Does that mean I can’t judge from my tournament experiences? Wtf logic is that? I guess I shouldn’t judge cocaine addicts either because hey, until you blow a line of crack, your in “no position to judge.” Everyone who believes that stand on your fvcking head.
You're comparing jaywalking and mass murder. Not only are you judging a community whose message boards you frequent by choice (odd?) but you're telling people what they should be doing with their life at a point in it you've never experienced. If you think that doesn't matter you're mistaken. I expect most 22 year olds view of life has changed significantly since highschool.

Sure, I understand Joe’s point, how much can it hurt if it’s just something one does on the side. Go smash with you’re college buddies or roommates. I know plenty of guys even in their thirties and forties who still play video games. But do they go to tournaments on the weekends? Do they join chat boards filled with teens and college kids? No. That shiit is awkward. Granted, someone who’s 25 isn’t the same as a 35 year old, but man, there are SO many other things one could be doing.
If there were nothing but high school kids at tournaments I went to it would be a problem certainly. The younger TA are great people, but the age gap is noticable. There are a large number of 22+ smashers who I have a great time hanging out with, thats why I keep coming. Aho, Rickr, Egy5, Hova, Kirbstir, and Greg are the smashers I spend the most of my smashing time with, and they're all 22+. There are also a large number of 20-21 year old active smashers in the area, that gap is not very wide. I still don't get why you need to judge what people should be doing. If they have fun and don't hurt you, why does it bother you so much? Maybe I read something into this that simply wasn't there, but it sure makes me wonder.

There is SO much out there. So definitely don’t play smash competitively when you could be doing something with you’re time, like learning a skill or traveling, or god knows what. I really wouldn't want to be remembered as a "professional gamer."
I can't speak for my peers, but I certainly am not a professional gamer, and I have no aspirations to become one. If they do though, good for them. Smashing means I can't travel or do other things? Should all of my time be spent doing other things? Maybe you should check out some of the stories on TA.net to see how we spend many of our weekends. Most recent post is a trip 3 of us life wasting smashers took to NY to see a concert and explore the city. We smashed with a buddy in Delaware on the way up, what a waste huh?

As for me, I just like the game. Scratch that, I love to smash. Like any great video game its like a drug. Do I see myself in say, 4 years, going to smash tournies out in Berkeley? No. I’ll play every once in a while when a buddy comes over or wants to play online.
Grats? To each his own.

When I visit the boards or (“frequent forums devoted to [smash]”), and the by “the boards” mainly just this thread, its to see if anybody wants to smash or is holding a fest/tourney, and also to see if anyone's dumb enough to step into a losing argument (Wuss). So get off my jock.
Yes, heaven forbid someone judges your reasons for coming on here. I must have some nerve.

Do I think everyone is a loser? No. But man, if you still think this argument is invalid, you’ve got something wrong with you.
It's easy to shrug off arguements when you believe that anyone who disagrees has something wrong with them.

Redd

thataintfalco.com
BRoomer
Yeah Brian, you act so differently online.

There are no standards, and no one asked you to shove your opinion down their throat.

bizybozo

Smash Journeyman
Fonz, most of my points weren't directed at you, i.e, professional gaming, or my final comment about people being losers, and you're point about smashing with buddies. I tried to clear that up in my beginning paragraph, i was just using you're comments as a "starting ground." All in all I really don't feel like arguing, the shiit you said about high school was just irritating, and needed to be cleared up. I just figured as long as I'm writing a long @$$ post I may as well reaffirm my initial statement. I was hoping to evoke some sort of wake-up call in the community. But hey, you can only lead a horse to water...

Redd, ma bad, I am completely different online. There should be some sort of personal standard for smashers, I really don't want to see grown men competing in video game tournaments, that's all. I suppose I'm just really traumatized from my first tourney experience over a year ago when I saw 30 year old guys hogging the C3 venue playing street fighter.

As for older TA members who no doubt hate me at this point, I of course admire the relationships you guys have formed playing this game. I hear about the great TA fests you guys throw, and I think its awesome that a video game could unite guys from all over the state. Fonz, I view that in no way as "wasting time," don't misinterpret me.

Fonz

Smash Ace
Smashboards is being lame, I can't edit that other post to fix the quote :/

I didn't take most of them as aimed towards me, but I figured I'd use myself as an example in a few cases. You played soccer you said? I played all throughout my youth. I like to think of and treat smash like soccer. Playing with friends = practice. That's fun, but I assume you played games as well without feeling like you should have been doing something more productive. I'm a competitive person, I enjoy regular competition. A handful of times a year I traveled for soccer tournaments across the US, same for smash. I even hung out with my soccer friends outside of competition, same for smash. I don't get what you think the big difference is. When I played billiards in college I competed in a league. I will want to compete in anything I do for some time. When I'm older I might play adult league soccer.

I just figured as long as I'm writing a long @$$ post I may as well reaffirm my initial statement. I was hoping to evoke some sort of wake-up call in the community. But hey, you can only lead a horse to water...
You have gotta be kidding me. You were really hoping for that? You can only lead a horse to water? Wow.

Wuss

Smash Champion
long a$$ posts, good **** guys!

Brian, I'm ready to argue over something anytime :) Only if it's in a respectful manner, and obviously without flaming. I'd actually love to argue with you over real sh** like compatabilism, or the problems with utilitariansism. I'd rather enjoy discussing these things with you or even fonz for that matter :)

FOB

Smash Ace
long a$$ posts, good **** guys!

Brian, I'm ready to argue over something anytime :) Only if it's in a respectful manner, and obviously without flaming. I'd actually love to argue with you over real sh** like compatabilism, or the problems with utilitariansism. I'd rather enjoy discussing these things with you or even fonz for that matter :)
Someone's gay....

bizybozo

Smash Journeyman
Smash isn't soccer though. It just isn't. Soccer is this globally reknown sport respected by billions of people, with tons of players and fans abound. It's been around forever and will stay around for centuries. I could go on and on about it, but I mean, you get the picture, no? Smash is, well, its a video game, man. And appropriately, it recieves not even a morsel of the respect and recognition that a sport like soccer deserves.

I do like your analogy of comparing smash and soccer, about making friends and traveling, competing. I do the same with Ultimate Frisbee. I run a practice 3 times a week and then on weekends we go out to tournaments and games. It's great exercise, and family and friends recognize the hard physical and mental work it demands, and naturally, its a great feeling to win. On the surface it seems similar to smash, and it seems to so shallow to say it, but smash is a frickin video game; society doesn't recognize it as a respectable endeavor, and rightfully so. Play video games with your friends, have a blast. I love it. But there is a difference between playing with buddies and getting really into it, and going to tournaments across the state where very little money is made. (If poker wasn't played for money, it'd be pretty f'ing silly. think about it).

Regarding my "evoking change" comment, that was pretty half heartedly stated. Don't take it seriously.

In closing, whatever age you are, if you play smash competitively, or do whatever, as long as your cool with it and the decisions you've made, go for it. Don't argue with the a$$hole on smash boards who "shoves his opinions down your throat." The way you live your life has no affect on me, and as long as your happy with your doing, my comments should have no bearing on what you choose to do, or not do, for that matter.

kirbstir

Smash Lord
I don't think people should choose to play soccer competitively just because it is "respected by society"; they should play because 1) they love the game and 2) they are good at it, or are willing to learn how to be more competitive at it.

ChaosKnight

Smash Master
wow let people argue **** its not like they are yelling at each other or anything soo plz just stop trying to think its flame wars and such ...

Jigg

Smash Journeyman
*RANDOM POST ABOUT NOTHING IN PARTICULAR!*

never mind.. i will post about somehting...oh man, those posts were great.. i love to see what two or more individuals have to say about a topic, especially if it gets heated (this one wasnt very heated, but still good) something about the difference in oppinion and seeing how the issue will get resolved.. its great. im glad that you guys are starting to see eachother's reasoning, but next time theres an argument likethis, the participants should just Rochambeau... the issue will get resolved fairly fast and it'll be funny (oh yeah, we should record it too)

ChaosKnight

Smash Master
These are actually intelligent posts and you guys probably didnt even read it all since you guys think its really an "Arguement"....

Jigg

Smash Journeyman
fine... debate... but i call any debate that has cursing (even if it isnt directed towards anyone) an arguement,since those words could have been easily avoided during such an intelligent post. (i curse, im pretty sure almost everyone does, and have nothing against it, but if you are going to curse at all during a debate, i dont think its a real debate any more) just my 2 cents on the subject, ck

ChaosKnight

Smash Master
well if you wanna call it a debate it is but we arent doing this in a formal fashion its just freidnly debate where you can curse i mean if you were in a formal debate yea no cursing would be allowed but it isnt so eh .. my 4 cents on it ...

KORNNNNN~

Smash Master
wow let people argue **** its not like they are yelling at each other or anything soo plz just stop trying to think its flame wars and such ...
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
lol...calm down ck just ignore my words & play smash w/ me

Fonz

Smash Ace
I don't think people should choose to play soccer competitively just because it is "respected by society"; they should play because 1) they love the game and 2) they are good at it, or are willing to learn how to be more competitive at it.
I completely agree.

bizybozo said:
Smash isn't soccer though. It just isn't. Soccer is this globally reknown sport respected by billions of people, with tons of players and fans abound. It's been around forever and will stay around for centuries. I could go on and on about it, but I mean, you get the picture, no? Smash is, well, its a video game, man. And appropriately, it recieves not even a morsel of the respect and recognition that a sport like soccer deserves.
Completely irrelevant and changing rapidly. Video games are more and more respected every year. Look how huge starcraft competitions are in South Korea. The respect means nothing though. They're both just games that people play and watch because they enjoy them. Soccer wasn't always so huge, there has to be pioneers for every sport or competitive activity. If none of soccer's pioneers started playing it because kick the can (or whatever was popular before soccer) was much more popular it wouldn't be anywhere now. Same goes for video games, who knows how popular they will be in 100 years.

The comment about fans is even more irrelevant. I never played youth soccer for global admiration and money, and same goes for smash. I'll play whatever game(s) I currently enjoy the most.

Who is to say how much respect any game deserves? Is it harder to become a pro soccer player than a pro smash player? Probably, but that may change as video games grow in popularity and their competitive communities grow.

MASAHIROx

Smash Lord
LOL @ the nubs who don't like arguments...i suck at them but they are DEFF fun to read... these boards would straight up SUCK if there never was any "flame wars" < some unstable kid must of thought up that label. Its as if people can not handle reading a post on an internet forum...come on now. PUt up or SHUt Up B1THCES!!

So in conclusion...i agree w/ Luis...stop crying babies.

random: lol at people that are actually affected by internet bullying...They must be mad insecure to actually be affected by words on a screen.

bizybozo

Smash Journeyman
A completely valid point Phil, and I'd thought of that very point as I wrote my last post, so here's my response (not a retort). True there need to be pioneers, and I thought you're reference to soccer once upon being regarded as a "kick the can game" in its early days was beautiful, even though soccer was institutionalized back in the 1500's, way before machinery was being practiced, but still a good comparison.

However, I need to point out a small discrepancy.

Video games are still regarded as nerdy/geeky/dorky by society, and likewise long long ago soccer was probably just thought as a little playground game for schoolboys. However, at least soccer was prevalent before it became an uber competitive international sport.

What the video game community needs isn't necessarily pioneers in the focused, competitive realm, but instead an outreach to the non-gamers. (Nintendo is god). Once video games are no longer regarded as a nerdy activity, and the industry is put on the same level as other forms of entertainment like music and television, THEN we can start talking about the competitive world. (If Nintendo keeps rockin it's strategy as it is now, we can expect to see considerable change in the next decade.)

So how this relates back, right now, yes, "They're [Smash and Soccer] both just games that people play and watch because they enjoy them." But for now that's all smash is. It's limited to that until smash/video games become a prevalent activity. Soccer, while just a game, is so much more. We watch soccer, and any professional sport really, because (and I'm quoting a WETA documentary right here) we live vicariously through the actions of these sports starts. (It sounds like a stretch, but it makes a lot of sense). Sport spectating has become a huge cultural phenomenon because we relate to the activities we see on the screen.

This discussion has gone a bit off topic at this point, but I love just throwing knowledge all over the place. so whatevs.

Wuss

Smash Champion
I 100% agree with fonz.

When I'm at school chillin with my friends, playin some smash after school on Friday, cause we don't have sports on fridays and don't get to chill very often, people come in to where we are playing, and f*** with our stuff. Some guys have come in to the room we play in, and turn off the gamecube, or even steal the game disc. And I can only think that if I did the same thing to them, while they were playing football, or soccer, or basketball or whatever, I would have been suspended (at a school game). Obviously it's different because it is the school's game, and us playing smash has nothing to do with the school, but in terms of importance, they are the same. Neither of us will ever be pro in what we do, the games really have little consequence in our lives, but we give them meaning because that's what gets up riled up. That's what makes us get excited, because without those feelings, we aren't really human. good example of this is the movie "Equilibrium".

Anyways, I feel that right now in my life, I am just as well off playing smash, then playing another sport that is "respected" by society, and hey, I rock climb as my sport, how much more respect can I get? (sarcasm, cause everyone at my school thinks rock climbing is easy, and that I just slack at my sport, and well, I've never seen them try to climb a 5.11b...)

o yea, my post a while ago was in response to bizy saying like "dont get into a losing arguement (wuss)" so I thought I'd tell him I'd be happy to argue about something, but I'd rather it was something I feel passionate about, or at least am knowledgable about. I am not a good debater, so I need something I actually care about to argue...

Abortion anyone?

Jigg

Smash Journeyman
ck: we obviously have different views on what a debate is, as i feel that even an informal debate shouldnt have any cursing, just because if you feel the need to curse (even if its not directed towards anyone), you shouldnt be in a debate in the first place, because it could escalate into something much more (i kinda know from experience.. lol) so yeah, what do i classify as "formal" and "informal"?
i really dont know since ive basically only had formal debates or arguments, but i cant say that the term "cursing" would be in either classification, unless the word "no" was in front of it.
so yeah, im not saying that what you think is wrong, just that we have different viewpoints (and yeah, anybody that doesnt like this debate/argument/exchange of oppinions, can kiss my ***.. its getting good again!)

P.S. i dunno if the words above make any sense, but if it doesnt, i'll edit it later so it does.. i just kinda threw a couple of thoughts together, since im exhausted right now.

Wuss

Smash Champion
it isn't the same, that's what I said, but I still think there is worth to that argument. How is there game of football anymore important than our game of smash? Lets say it isn't even a school game, just a pickup game, then, it is the same. Both of us are just doing something that we like to do, and have fun doing. But if I run into there game, steal their ball, and run away with it, they would be pretty **** mad, and I would be to, as I am every time they steal our game disc. It's just a bias our society has right now, saying that video games are worthless, and sports are a good way to spend time. **** is skewed...

edit: choz, I'll be there tomorrow around 3, f'ing game at 12...

Top Bottom