• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Super Powers Writing Contest

M3D

In the Game of Thrones, You Morph or You Die
BRoomer
NNID
Argonaut1
Hey there writers... so I don't frequent this room much anymore but I cooked up a fun little contest and thought it might be fun to put in Creative Minds. After a chat with Virg and EE to get the all-clear, here it is!

So here's the inspiration: http://powerlisting.wikia.com/wiki/Special:Random

This is a wiki that includes lots of superpowers from a variety of video games, TV shows, comic books, movies and more. Clicking the link above will give you a random power from their database that could range from the ridiculously weak (Gliding) to the impossibly powerful (Omnipotence). After being introduced to this, I clicked on the link a few times to see what kinds of powers were available and I found myself with a few tabs of random powers. I thought they were a weird mix of powers and wondered how they might form a super team... and thus the idea for this contest was born.

The Contest
  1. Each person that signs up will be sent a PM with a random set of five super powers that they must use to forge a super team. This super team must have a name!
  2. Each participant will also be given a sixth power that belongs to the "Big Bad," the main villain of their super team. (Think Magneto to the X-Men or Skeletor to He-Man)
  3. Participants must create a very brief character bio based on each power they are given, based on the template below.
  4. Participants must create a justification for their super team using 1000 words or less. This can be in the form of a short story, pure exposition, an epic poem or whatever style the writer wishes to use. This justification should somehow include the Big Bad.

Judging
Judges:
1. M3D
2. Xiivi

maybe one more judge... stay tuned!

Judging Criteria
  1. Team Construction - Did you find an effective way to mash your five random powers together into a superteam? Was the setting, justification and theme creative and engaging?
  2. Creativity - Do you have any original ideas? Did create an interesting new character based on traditional heroic themes? Or did you just copy a hero we all know and love and slap a new name on him/her?
  3. Writing Quality - Was your writing clear? Was your justification well-written?
  4. Enjoyment - Did you engage the readers? Can I imagine your super team in pen and ink on the comic book page or brought to life on the silver screen? Did your entry make the judges smile?

STANDARD WWYP RULES APPLY -
No plagiarism, submit your entry by the deadline, adhere to the guidelines and word limits and HAVE FUN!

Some advice and important things to consider:

• Super Powers doesn't necessarily mean SPANDEX! - people with special abilities could come together for a variety of reasons. They might be military. They could be a band of adventurers in an unexplored land. The Fellowship of the Ring was a kind of "super team" too, so don't get jammed up thinking about the spandex. Feel free to be creative with the setting.
  • Use genre tropes and subvert genre tropes - Go to http://tvtropes.org/ and do some exploring. Tropes are used because they work. People expect them and people like them. People also love to see them subverted. They love watching the obvious get turned on its head. So have some fun with these. Work them to your advantage or subvert them to catch the readers off guard.
  • Don't Go Overboard - Stories about heroes are only interesting when the hero can be threatened somehow. Make sure not to make your heroes so overpowered (especially in comparison to their Big Bad) that they cannot ever possibly lose.
  • Power Variations - Some of the links you will be provided will include variations on your power. For instance:

http://powerlisting.wikia.com/wiki/Biological_Manipulation

This entry includes three different variations. Try to be creative about how you apply these. Pick just one if you think it gives the character an interesting limitation. Use all of them if you think the character needs them all to shine alongside the rest of your team. Just think carefully about how to use the variations to your advantage.

Sample PM
Your super team consists of the following powers:
Biological Manipulation - http://powerlisting.wikia.com/wiki/Biological_Manipulation
Shadow Mimicry - http://powerlisting.wikia.com/wiki/Shadow_Mimicry
etc
etc
etc

You Big Bad has the following power:
Poison Immunity - http://powerlisting.wikia.com/wiki/Poison_Immunity

Character Bio Template
Codename:
Powers: (please provide link so other participants can read up)
Equipment: (if any)
Appearance: 1 paragraph max
Character Backstory: 2 paragraph max

Note- Depending on your setting, you may want to add a field or two. This is acceptable as long as you don't go overboard!

Intentionally Bad Example Character Bio
Codename: PainMed
Powers: http://powerlisting.wikia.com/wiki/Biological_Manipulation
PainMed can manipulate biological life with the touch of his hands or very weakly at a small distance. This gives him a healing touch that can mend even life-threatening wounds, dull pain and even inflict pain on others.
Equipment: PainMed wears a scrubs-green colored form-fitting suit that is woven with protective materials. He also wears a white doctor's coat shaped to flow a bit further behind like a trench coat or cape
Appearance: PainMed is a white male in his late 30s. His hair is black but peppered with gray. He is medium height and in good condition from training as a professional superhero for the last twenty years. However, he is not particularly handsome. He has a narrow chin and a sharp nose. If he didn't have broad shoulders and good definition in his muscles one might have described him as hawkish.
Character Backstory: Before Dr. Edward Medicine was a doctor, he dreamed of being a doctor. He played doctor as a child (and sometimes as a teen, but that's a little different) and when he graduated from high school, he left home for college to study pre-med. Little did he know that his eventual professor, Professor Poisonfree, would not only perform experiments on him, but would someday become his arch nemesis. Abducted the last day of classes his first semester, Edward was subjected to an experimental treatment by the evil professor. When Edward struggled to escape, he triggered an explosion that left both he and Professor Poisonfree unconscious, but imbued with new powers!

After the arrest of Professor Poisonfree and the discovery of his biological manipulation powers, Edward went on to finish medical school at the top of his class while moonlighting as a superhero to pay his tuition. After graduation, he was offered a position as a healer with Benevolent Heroes, a pro-active and socially-minded super team that could use his unique skills. At first reluctant to join the team, Dr. Medicine changed his mind when Professor Poisonfree escaped from prison and began a series of noxious gas attacks. Despite the fact that he was struggling to escape, he felt responsible for giving Professor Poisonfree his poison immunity powers in the explosion in the lab. So joining the team as PainMed, he set out to protect the innocent and he has done just that for the nearly 20 years!

Entry
Just sign /in to this thread and you'll receive your PM when the contest starts.

Sign-ups close on Wednesday, Oct 6th at noon eastern!

Contest Deadline
Since this is meant to be a short, fun, "popcorn" writing contest, we're going to limit the time to two weeks. The entry deadline will be Wednesday, Oct 20th by noon eastern.

How Does This Help Me Become a Better Writer?
This is quite unlike normal writing contests like WWYP in that you aren't writing a huge story. EE described this as a kind of "Conceptualize with Your Power" contest. So if its not pure writing... how does it help you become a better writer? A couple of ways:

• Adaptive Thinking - You don't get to pick your superpowers or your villain and if you become a professional writer someday, you won't always get to pick you assignments either! This contest helps you learn to adapt to assignments that might otherwise stump you!
  • Creativity - This one should be obvious. Exercise your creativity and come up with characters, settings, etc that you've never thought of before. The more you create, the better you get at creating!
  • Understanding Genre Tropes - As I mentioned above, genre tropes are used and reused because they work. Grasping these tropes, learning to identify them, use them and subvert them will make you a more effective reader and a better writer for sure.
  • Creative Planning - The act of writing doesn't always mean just sitting down and letting the words flow out. Learning to plan out your stories first, mapping the character relations, major story points and other details helps you be a more effective writer. Consider this a first step in creating a story about these characters, even if you don't actually go on to write one. Although, I'd encourage you to give it a try after the contest. You might be surprised how much you like the characters when you are done.

That's it! Good luck! Have fun! Sign up and tell your friends!

Entrants
1. Tom
2. Tiger Woods
3. EE
4. Clownbot
5. Namaste
6. Getocoolaid
7. Zook
8. Xatres
9. GoldShadow
10. SkylerOcon
11. Lord Megatron
12. Kawaiiugus
13. Crimson King
14. KrazyGlue
15. <3

ronEEke

Ronike|Evil Eye
I'm gonna hate myself for entering this, but I'll hate myself [slightly] more if I don't. So there you have it.

/in

(This is EE, not Ronike)

[(do you like my creepy avatar?)]

M3D

BRoomer
NNID
Argonaut1
Xiivi is joining me as a judge!

Clownbot

Smash Lord
Let's say one of my characters is granted the power of pyric mimicry.

Power Listing said:
Associations

Usually accompanies Pyrokinesis.

Commonly accompanies fire-based powers.
Would the character be limited to pyric mimicry, or could they also have pyrokinesis and/or other fire-based abilities?

This is only an example, I bet there are at least a few other power groups it could apply to. I'm just a bit confused as to what our limits are.

EDIT: Also, is it required that we give an explanation for how each character received their powers?

M3D

BRoomer
NNID
Argonaut1
Clownbot, the important part isn't necessarily the limitations, but how you craft the team. If you feel like you need to tap into an associated power to make the whole thing work, then do it. But if you don't need to, I'd encourage you to look for creative ways not to stray from the power you are given. Just don't get so far away from the power you were given that it barely resembles the original.

As for the power explanation point... no. It's not required. But can you do a good mini-bio without one? If you choose to skip that part, why did you skip it? Was it because you wanted to focus on other details? Was it because its important that the origin of a characters powers were unknown? Ultimately the story you tell is up to you, so if you obscure some details but its still engaging and exciting, then you aren't going to get docked for it in the judging.

Just try to have fun and put together an engaging team/story. Think more about the possibilities than the limitations and you will probably really enjoy this.

EDIT:
@Tiger, If you happen to get a super power that fits with a previously created character, then go for it, just don't get stuck trying to make the whole thing fit around a character you've already got in your head, when another option might work better!

M3D

BRoomer
NNID
Argonaut1
yes, please tell your friends to sign up. This is going to be funsies.

Rychu

Thane of Smashville
3DS FC
1908-0105-4965
I'll Join, it may be fun

M3D

BRoomer
NNID
Argonaut1
Sign-ups close and team PMs go out tomorrow!

M3D

BRoomer
NNID
Argonaut1
OK, team PMs are out. If you did not get your PM, please post here so I can resend it!

M3D

BRoomer
NNID
Argonaut1
Check your PMs good sir.

Xiivi

So much for friendship huh...
Premium
BRoomer
So do I post it here or elsewhere?
Check your PMs good sir.

"Once you have completed your entry, please create a thread in the Creative Minds forum titled “Super Powers: (TEAM NAME)” and replace the (TEAM NAME) with the name you have selected for your team. Then copy the URL for the thread and post it in the sign-up thread so we don’t miss any entries."

M3D

BRoomer
NNID
Argonaut1
Xatres and Lord Megatron should check their PM boxes. :D

Pikaville

Pikaville returns 10 years later.
I'm totally in haha.

My big bad is gonna cause some hilariousness I hope.

I honestly nearly died when I clicked it.

M3D

BRoomer
NNID
Argonaut1
REMINDER: 8 days until your teams are due!

Xiivi

So much for friendship huh...
Premium
BRoomer
If you want to still sign up I'm sure M3D wouldn't mind sending you a PM. Although note the deadline would still stay the same for you.

KrazyGlue

Smash Champion
Bah! How did I miss this? :(

If I can still sign up, awesome. If I can't, that's totally understandable. Just be aware that there's a possibility I may not be able to make the deadline.

M3D

BRoomer
NNID
Argonaut1
I can make teams for all three of you, but the deadline will stay the same. You'll only have 1 week to complete this, rather the two the rest of the group got.

EDIT: Check your PMs. You all have teams and one week to complete your entry!

goryestilen

Smash Rookie
I am starting a Super Powers Writing Contest. I will randomly do contests so pay attention. If you win the contest, you will become an admin. The admins will help me choose who wins. They will also remind me when the contest ends. The contest subject is: You have to a write a short story, more than three paragraphs, that is the subject of... There is a girl or boy who is bullied and gets pushed into a pit of muck. He soon finds out that he got super powers. I would also ask if the winner, if they want to, would continue to write the story after the contest.

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
LessThanPi
I'll say i'm /in

And then not actually do it! I really want to though I like this idea.......

Top Bottom