• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social The Suburbs of Onett - Ness Social Thread

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
Oh I was surprised he didn't check this thread. I'll go find it for you now.

EDIT: Try this:

Not sure if this is known, but it's something I noticed today. All dthrows I've tested cap at 41 frames of hitstun, being cancellable with an airdodge, jump or attack on frame 42 at about 40% where it caps. After that though, jumping or attacking out of hitstun becomes increasingly slower until at least 150% (highest I tested). For example at 120% you can airdodge from Falcon's dthrow on 42, jump on 49-51 (heavier characters seem to be able to jump earlier) and attack on 47. The airdodge and attack frames seem to be the same with every dthrow but the jumping frame changes a little bit and for some reason heavies are able to jump earlier than lightweights.

Other moves usually have more hitstun, but they work with similar logic where jumping or attacking out of them is slower and slower the higher you go. Makes sense considering airdodge is the most dangerous option while jumping is the safest, however attacking is somewhere between those. Really makes moves like ZSS' down b too good for escaping setups.

This is also the reason training mode combo counter is broken. It only stops counting combos once you're able to jump or possibly attack out of hitstun even though you can airdodge before that, making it more unrealiable the higher the % is.

EDIT: probably the wrong topic to post this on but it's pretty central
And this:

With the down throws of Falcon, Diddy and ZSS, airdodging out of hitstun limit caps first at around 30-70%, while attacking out of hitstun limit caps second at roughly 70-110% and jumping out of hitstun limit caps last at 140-190% or so. Weight and hitstun are related however, these cap %s are higher for heavier characters which is why heavies were seemingly able to jump out of hitstun faster when I was comparing lightweights and heavies at around 120%. I personally always thought comboing heavies is easier because they receive the same amount of hitstun while receiving less knockback due to their weight, but it seems hitstun is directly related to knockback.

Not every move behaves in the same way though, for example Falcon's uair hitstun frames are 51 / 56 / 60 at 80% but 100 / 100 / 101 at 180%. Thus, it doesn't seem to be linear. The way I tested this was by simply viewing a recorded 60fps files frame by frame. Was originally testing completely different things (Falcon's dthrow to knee character specific setups) but the hitstun caught my attention since I was able to land the knees easier on jumps the higher the % was, while airdodging always saved the opponent after 40-60% depending on the character. Here's some numbers for the sake of comparison (tested at 180%):

Falcon's dthrow: 42 / 47 / 55
Diddy's dthrow: 43 / 53 / 60
ZSS' dthrow: 42 / 47 / 52
Diddy's uthrow: 49 / 49 / 57
Falcon's uair: 100 / 100 / 101 stronger hitbox, 91 / 94 / 94 weaker hitbox
Diddy's uair: 72 / 81 / 81
ZSS' uair: 78 / 85 / 85

It's pretty clear that the stronger the move is the more hitstun it tends to inflict and the further it scales. Airdodging is generally the fastest option but it gets tied with other options at cap sometimes, and jumping seems to never be the fastest option (it probably caps last always). There doesn't seem to be any universal logic in this other than that though.

Last edited:

Meccs

@Meccs_
I think if youre nearly frame perfect you can Dthrow>Fair Sheik across the stage. This is something I can against my friends so idk if theyre just DIing wrong but its awesome. Also can work on Falcon and Fox. You have to dash + SHFF Fair (into Regrab, repeat) basically the first frame after Dthrow. If more people could test this itd be great but if I time it right I get it guaranteed on mt friends Sheik and bring him all the way across stage with it. Its basically only when were both at 0 tho because rage kills it and I think its just poor DI, but its definitely something to keep in mind against fast-fallers.

Last edited:

Noa.

Smash Master
I think if youre nearly frame perfect you can Dthrow>Fair Sheik across the stage. This is something I can against my friends so idk if theyre just DIing wrong but its awesome. Also can work on Falcon and Fox. You have to dash + SHFF Fair (into Regrab, repeat) basically the first frame after Dthrow. If more people could test this itd be great but if I time it right I get it guaranteed on mt friends Sheik and bring him all the way across stage with it. Its basically only when were both at 0 tho because rage kills it and I think its just poor DI, but its definitely something to keep in mind against fast-fallers.
Are you talking about dthrow to fair to Regrab to dthrow to double fair? Cause we can do that depending on their DI.

Lochy

Smash Ace
NNID
Lochinator
So I have started the dthrow data collection. It's going to be pretty extensive. I just started it and it's going to take a very long time. Would anyone like to help? I'd love to have someone corroborate my data. The combos are not too easy to perform and I don't have enough faith in my tech skill to be sure.

As long as you have a Wii u and are willing to devote time I'd appreciate it. The more people the better so that we could all check each other more easily. Just message me if you'd like to help!
I would be happy to help! Just tell me exactly what I gotta do and I'll do it. :)

Lochy

Smash Ace
NNID
Lochinator
Gonna test this later today and tell you my results.

PSIBoy

Smash Lord
So I have started the dthrow data collection. It's going to be pretty extensive. I just started it and it's going to take a very long time. Would anyone like to help? I'd love to have someone corroborate my data. The combos are not too easy to perform and I don't have enough faith in my tech skill to be sure.

As long as you have a Wii u and are willing to devote time I'd appreciate it. The more people the better so that we could all check each other more easily. Just message me if you'd like to help!
I should be able to help as well, since school's gonna let out in another week (despite the fact that I have summer school, which is only half a day pretty much) and I'm not going anywhere until August.

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787

friend just gave me the best picture on the internet
But I though Carpainter was good now!!!

But that is pretty flipping hilarious. I'm working on a HUGE, tiresome project for school right now, but this just made my day.

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
Nothing too special here, but just some epic Ness wins. Enjoy!

PSIBoy

Smash Lord
Now don't go embarrassing me in our matches like this anytime soon. I should be able to battle later this week. I'll pm you when I can.
Speaking of which, do you want to play sometime? I could really use some matchup experience against ROB if that's okay with you (I'm not saying only ROB, I'm just saying I want some experience against him) and I'm free tomorrow... Largely. I'll be watching the video tomorrow since I'm about to go to bed here. So... Good night!

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
Speaking of which, do you want to play sometime? I could really use some matchup experience against ROB if that's okay with you (I'm not saying only ROB, I'm just saying I want some experience against him) and I'm free tomorrow... Largely. I'll be watching the video tomorrow since I'm about to go to bed here. So... Good night!
Sure thing. I've gotten beat up by competitive players before (looks at Lochy) so I'm not sure if you'll get the best experience possible in a competitive scene, but you can go ahead and send me a friend request on Smash Wii U and feel free to set up a pm conversation with me so we can discuss times we are available. I like going one on one though, so if I ever don't accept you into a room, I'm either battling someone else and/or waiting for someone else.

Geez with all these people that I often battle, I'm going to need to time manage a lot over the summer...

Lochy

Smash Ace
NNID
Lochinator
I would also like to battle you at some point PSIBoy.

TheRealGiygas

Smash Rookie
Hi everyone, I'm new here :]

I'm a 14 year old smasher from the UK. I want to play Smash 4 competitively in the future, so I'm here to learn from all of the best Ness players around! I played with a really good Ness main on Smash Ladder called Kodystri (I wonder if he's here?) so I decided to sign up here and find some more people better than me to help me improve.

ilysm

sleepy
@ TheRealGiygas TheRealGiygas Awesome, welcome to Smashboards friend! I believe Kody's around here somewhere, isn't he? I recall seeing him in some threads. In any case, hope you find the Ness boards to your liking! We all do our best to help each other grow as players 'round here.

Lochy

Smash Ace
NNID
Lochinator

I'm a 14 year old smasher from the UK. I want to play Smash 4 competitively in the future, so I'm here to learn from all of the best Ness players around! I played with a really good Ness main on Smash Ladder called Kodystri (I wonder if he's here?) so I decided to sign up here and find some more people better than me to help me improve.
Hey man nice to see that you came to the Ness boards.
I'll introduce myself,
Hello I'm Lochy. I'm a 15 year old smasher from New York, NY! I've been playing smash since the launch of the Wii U version. I haven't gone to a tournament because there aren't many venues here because the rent is too high.
Also I would be happy to spar against you. My NNID is Lochinator.
Happy smashing :)

Last edited:

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558

Oh that's awesome!! Welcome to the Ness boards, and you'll be very happy to know @ Kodystri Kodystri is indeed around these parts, as Indigeau mentioned.

If you're looking for the best Ness play around, the best Ness players at the moment are Shaky, FOW and NAKAT. There are plenty of other great Ness mains around though! :grin:

Hope you come to love these boards as much as we do! :D

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787

Hey, welcome man. Once summer rolls around, and I can manage my time better, I'd be glad to have some matches against you. Hope you enjoy this thread.

PSIBoy

Smash Lord

Hey, welcome to Smashboards and the Ness boards. Hope you have a good time on here! I'd be happy to play some matches with you, though with our time zones drastically different, our options will be more limited.

What if you're OG and prefer prime ribs?
Oddly enough, a lot of people are convinced that Ninten's favorite food is Oreos even though it was completely made up on the internet. *shrugs*

Kodystri

the PK Spamming Lucas Main
NNID
Kodystri
Um Welcome to the Ness Boards. The biggest thing you need to know is..... idk. ask the others.

Also, PSIBoy, I love your picture.

OH, and why isn't Ness's taunt the picture pose? its driving me insane.

Last edited:

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
Um Welcome to the Ness Boards. The biggest thing you need to know is..... idk. ask the others.

Also, PSIBoy, I love your picture.

OH, and why isn't Ness's taunt the picture pose? its driving me insane.
Totally agree with this.

In other news, I FINALLY got that school project done. Tomorrow I'll be practicing for a presentation I need to give on Tuesday, and after that I can get back to my normal lifestyle! WOO-HOO!!!

AwkwardNess

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Awkw4rdAss4ssin
I'd be lying if I didn't say half the reason I re-downloaded PM just to spam the Fuzzy Pickles taunt :ness:
And dem pajamas. Or for that Masked Man outfit if you're a :lucas:kind of person.
Totally agree with this.

In other news, I FINALLY got that school project done. Tomorrow I'll be practicing for a presentation I need to give on Tuesday, and after that I can get back to my normal lifestyle! WOO-HOO!!!
Good luck to you. Finals week starts for me today :drsad:

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
And dem pajamas. Or for that Masked Man outfit if you're a :lucas:kind of person.

Good luck to you. Finals week starts for me today :drsad:
Thanks.

Need I remind everyone that our semi-clone friend will be joining us sometime this month??? I can't wait! I've still got enough money to buy him on my eShop card, if he's released for the same price Mewtwo was!

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
So I wonder when Poocas will be joining us, hopefully it isn't on June 30th.
*Joins on July 1st*

Dang it, Nintendo! By the way, when is E3? They'll probably announce his join date then or anytime from now till then.

Top Bottom