• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social The Suburbs of Onett - Ness Social Thread

PSIBoy

Smash Lord
He's not more deserving than people like Sheik, Sonic, and (still) Diddy, so I think he's safe-ish for now. He's good, but not stupid good.

But we should keep him on the down low. Downplay him, make him sound like he's not that great, and maybe Nintendo will ignore him ;)
But there is tournaments... You can either lose deliberately or you can not attend them at all. Kind of hard to downplay Ness when the facts say otherwise, even if mouths are kept shut.

Earthbound360

Smash Hero
NNID
Mikman360
Lol I meant that as a semi-joke. Never hold back on winning. But Ness is in truth still not great great. He's good though.

Sir_Zedd

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sir_Zedd
I was mucking around in the training mode and found something that might be useful that I hadn't been doing before (this could be common knowledge)

When your opponent is at 80%+ on the edge short hopping towards them and using dair can lead into some interesting setups if it hits due to Ness falling off the side of the stage and being able to double jump into a follow up.

Situation A: you dair them too early and they get knocked off stage allowing you to dj fair/uair/bair depending on their DI (this can work as early as 30%)

Situation B: you dair spike them and can dj bair/uair them while they bounce

Situation C: they shield but will have a hard time punishing you.

Just thought I should post here because I found it interesting and dair is under used.

Manbeartigerphoenix

Smash Apprentice
I still think Ness still has a number of weaknesses to make up for his strengths. Low mobility is, imo, Ness' biggest weakness in every game. Try playing against mobile characters who like to play defensively (like Yoshi) and feel the frustration of having to chase them all game. Ness' stubby little legs can only take him so far.

Also I need not elaborate how easy it is to gimp our PKT2 since the original smash game.

Superbat

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Superbat3
FOW has the diddy kong match up on lock. Surprised that he lost to Zero's Sheik. I thought Ness bodied Sheik because of rage B-throw

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
FOW has the diddy kong match up on lock. Surprised that he lost to Zero's Sheik. I thought Ness bodied Sheik because of rage B-throw
It's not an awful match-up, but Sheik wins it out in neutral because of... Mostly needles, and to a lesser extent Fair. I'd say we fair (PUNS PLS ;_; ) against her better than like 85% of the cast though, so that's something! But yeah it's probs still -1 (ish) :laugh:

Snackss

Smash Journeyman
Heck no, Ness's aerials aren't safe on shield against Sheik and he has no response to needles.

Yink

The Robo-PSIentist
NNID
SSBYink
Sup Nessers. How's everyone doing? I need to post in here more often haha. Wedding planning has taken over my life... but on the positive side; Smash will be at my wedding.

MewtwoMaster2002

ミュウツーマスター2002
3DS FC
2922-0496-2962
Sup Nessers. How's everyone doing? I need to post in here more often haha. Wedding planning has taken over my life... but on the positive side; Smash will be at my wedding.
Is your wedding also in Japan? If so, best wedding ever!

SuperTorn

Smash Apprentice
NNID
SuperTorn
hey guys I ordered some EarthBound buttons on eBay, just got them:

spoiler alert, the fuzzy pickles one is the most amazing out of all of them lmao also it's not there, but there was another one of the Great Chested Booka enemy that you fight in Scaraba, I gave it to my brother since he wanted one and that enemy is so weird looking lel what do you guys think of them?

SuperTorn

Smash Apprentice
NNID
SuperTorn
I like them! Although the starman looks rather strange. :p
Ikr? I tried looking on google a couple of times and I even went through the EarthBound Wiki and WikiBound to see if I could find anything on it but I don't feel like it's bootlegged/fanmade

Earthboundy

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Earthboundy
3DS FC
0173-1290-2436
Everyone is talking about their characters applications of b reversing, and I'm sitting here, being Ness.

SuperTorn

Smash Apprentice
NNID
SuperTorn
Everyone is talking about their characters applications of b reversing, and I'm sitting here, being Ness.
lel just noticed B reversing isn't too useful with Ness is it? I think the only useful thing was PK flash for setups or edge guarding but Ness probably doesn't need anything like that anyway

There's a Bike Pin?

We never talk about the bike.
To be fair you only use it for like 5 minutes before and after Giygas but I agree, it should be more relevant especially since he looks so freaking happy riding it lmao

Earthbound360

Smash Hero
NNID
Mikman360
B reversing isn't that good with Ness sadly. The best use I can find for it is PK Jump shenanigans.

Also those pins are friggin sweet.

Manbeartigerphoenix

Smash Apprentice
I wonder if Lucas will end up still having all his cool b reversing stuff when he comes out. I hope he can still do PK Jump and magnet pulls too.

Earthbound360

Smash Hero
NNID
Mikman360
I wonder if Lucas will end up still having all his cool b reversing stuff when he comes out. I hope he can still do PK Jump and magnet pulls too.
My theory is that wavebounce PKF is still in because wavebouncing in general is still there.
Zap jump is probably going to be there still since Ness' PK Jump is still in.
Magnet pull WONT be because they changed how magnet affect momentum in this game though :\

PKBeam

Smash Lord
NNID
PKBeam64
Switch FC
SW 0386 4264 7224
zap jump will get patched out. if not now, then later.
you can't let someone run around with such a recovery option.

if magnet pulls do make it in i think they'll be left alone.

PKBeam

Smash Lord
NNID
PKBeam64
Switch FC
SW 0386 4264 7224
PK Jump isn't really a priority. It has its uses but it's not that good and it's not very popular either.
I don't see it getting patched out.

Manbeartigerphoenix

Smash Apprentice
Idk about PK Jump not being that good, I played against a Lucas (forgot his name, I have poor long-term memory) from St. Louis who made damn good use of it. He was a very flashy Lucas, I can't believe I forgot his name though I suck. :(

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
Zap jump and PK jump employ the same input but with very different effects. Zap jump is Lucas using it to boost his jump to about half of the screen, whilst PK Jump is Ness doing a little 45 degree bounce upwards. Zap Jump is incredibly useful; PK Jump less so, although I think it does potentially have its uses.

Pazx

hoo hah
NNID
Pazx13
Shoutout to @ Sir_Zedd Sir_Zedd who made a valiant little run at #BAM7 narrowly missing out on top 32. I think this tournament is a bit of a wakeup call for the Tassie scene to be honest but I'm impressed they made it out in such numbers, good stuff to them.

Stream quality is... not so hot, but I got to see Zedd play a few friendlies which is neat. I'm hoping the stream will be better today both in terms of video quality and professionalism but I will admit I've lowered my expectations. It'll be here if anyone wants to tune it at some point.

Earthbound360

Smash Hero
NNID
Mikman360
Guys, I just wanna bring up to you some interesting use of PKT that I've been utilizing lately.

I've been using PKT as an indirect replacement to uair, useful in situations where opponents would choose to challenge you from above as opposed to just dodging you.

As great as uair is, it doesn't have the best range, and it can be beaten out by certain dairs (Villager, Mario, G&W, etc.)
But what I've noticed is that PKT's early hitbox (right when it comes out) is transcendent. It'll go through even 3 of Villager's turnips. So instead of jumping up and uairing, use PKT at a close range (keep that startup in mind though, time it a bit earlier!). It'll pierce the opponent for 9%, beating out their dair, and you can still loop PKT around for either a PKT2 read or an escape option.

Of course, it's not always the best option, so use with moderation, but I think it's a nice option against people who challenge you from above. Just make sure you don't get the later hitbox of PKT since that'll get eaten by any attack.

AwkwardNess

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Awkw4rdAss4ssin
Guys, I just wanna bring up to you some interesting use of PKT that I've been utilizing lately.

I've been using PKT as an indirect replacement to uair, useful in situations where opponents would choose to challenge you from above as opposed to just dodging you.

As great as uair is, it doesn't have the best range, and it can be beaten out by certain dairs (Villager, Mario, G&W, etc.)
But what I've noticed is that PKT's early hitbox (right when it comes out) is transcendent. It'll go through even 3 of Villager's turnips. So instead of jumping up and uairing, use PKT at a close range (keep that startup in mind though, time it a bit earlier!). It'll pierce the opponent for 9%, beating out their dair, and you can still loop PKT around for either a PKT2 read or an escape option.

Of course, it's not always the best option, so use with moderation, but I think it's a nice option against people who challenge you from above. Just make sure you don't get the later hitbox of PKT since that'll get eaten by any attack.
Hmm, that's a really interesting way of using PKT. While I love Uair to death, I'm already imagining ways to include this into my Ness. Hopefully this'll be the same with Lucas as well.

Noa.

Smash Master

While I have used pk thunder in place of uair sometimes, I didn't know the beginning was transcendent. I haven't really tried beating people's dairs with it. That's a really nice tip.

Earthbound360

Smash Hero
NNID
Mikman360
Yeah give it a try sometime, lemme know how it goes. It's still a new-ish strat for me, so I'm still exploring its potential.

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
Shoot. Seems I missed a lot since the last notification.

But I think I've got EarthBound mania at this point. Throw the Fourside track into Smash now! And the stage too, if you could...

Somebody help me please...

AwkwardNess

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Awkw4rdAss4ssin
So I tried the PK Thunder tip in some matches today. It didn't always work out for me, mainly because I was either too far away for transcendent hitbox and had PKT disappear or too close and got punished, but when it worked, it kinda did work! I found myself always looping PKT around for an extra hit with the normal hitbox, but I could easily see myself following up witn PKT2 with some practice. Thanks for the tip, earthbound360!

Pryze

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Apollon1an
I'll have to try that PKT trick sometime, especially given that I play a Luigi main almost on the daily. Landing PKT2 on a read or using it as an escape option sounds especially enticing to me.

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
Beat Moonside today, went through a maze of monkeys, and learned teleportation. I'm not gonna be able to get back to it for a while though, I've got a big school project. Hopefully I can get back Paula soon (it's like this game doesn't want you to level her up).

Manbeartigerphoenix

Smash Apprentice
The PKT trick sounds pretty nice, but I still feel Ness' uair is a really tough aerial to beat. That head is just too big, lol.

If I ever notice people are able to consistently beat out my uair I'll give the PKT stuff a whirl. The one dair that will still give us trouble though is Rosalina's and if she notices us using PKT instead of uair she can just down b it. :/

Last edited:

Earthbound360

Smash Hero
NNID
Mikman360
The PKT trick sounds pretty nice, but I still feel Ness' uair is a really tough aerial to beat. That head is just too big, lol.

If I ever notice people are able to consistently beat out my uair I'll give the PKT stuff a whirl. The one dair that will still give us trouble though is Rosalina's and if she notices us using PKT instead of uair she can just down b it. :/
But if she's doing that, uair will eat her alive lol.

Aerial Rosalina + Uair = KO at like 2% :p

AwkwardNess

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Awkw4rdAss4ssin
Beat Moonside today, went through a maze of monkeys, and learned teleportation. I'm not gonna be able to get back to it for a while though, I've got a big school project. Hopefully I can get back Paula soon (it's like this game doesn't want you to level her up).
Nice! I'm replaying EB and I just got Poo in my party now.
The EXP spread is kinda an issue, though. Whenever someone in my party dies, I'm left thinking "This guy's gonna suck now."

Top Bottom