• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social The Suburbs of Onett - Ness Social Thread

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
Nice! I'm replaying EB and I just got Poo in my party now.
The EXP spread is kinda an issue, though. Whenever someone in my party dies, I'm left thinking "This guy's gonna suck now."
Ya, I've got Ness at level 41, Jeff at 34-ish, and Paula at who knows where because I haven't been able to check since bug-eyed alien kidnapped her (which was a bit more than a week ago). When I get her back, she's clearly going to be the weakling of the group (in terms of levels gained).

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
Let me tell you guys, I have never been a Ness person (Though I loved Lucas in Brawl and am very excited for him to return), but holy crap I have been just kicking so much butt as Ness lately. He's getting to be one of my favorites in Smash 4.

Noa.

Smash Master
So after my month and a half hiatus I finally returned back to tournaments. Yesterday I got 2nd out of like 12 people. Today I got 3rd out of 37 people. And tomorrow I plan on going to another tournament. And this Saturday is one of the largest tournaments that FL has had so far, so I'm really excited for that.

I've been playing well so far. I'm quite happy with my performance. I have been able to point out my weaknesses and feel like they're easy enough to fix by Saturday. I really want to do well this Saturday.

And tomorrow for sure I'm starting the dthrow data lol. I'd like it all done by Saturday but we'll see.

Pazx

hoo hah
NNID
Pazx13
So after my month and a half hiatus I finally returned back to tournaments. Yesterday I got 2nd out of like 12 people. Today I got 3rd out of 37 people. And tomorrow I plan on going to another tournament. And this Saturday is one of the largest tournaments that FL has had so far, so I'm really excited for that.

I've been playing well so far. I'm quite happy with my performance. I have been able to point out my weaknesses and feel like they're easy enough to fix by Saturday. I really want to do well this Saturday.

And tomorrow for sure I'm starting the dthrow data lol. I'd like it all done by Saturday but we'll see.
Yooooo good luck! Are any big names gonna be there?

Also idk if you guys are aware but a Ness player won the Australian major last weekend :~)

Pryze

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Apollon1an

What tournament is that? A little disappointed in myself that I hadn't heard of it.

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
Is Shaky also attending that one?

And yeah, V pulled out Ness in GFs and took out Atyeo's Fox in the end, although I'm not sure, did she use Villager for the majority of the tournament or was Ness used at other times too? Australia is Ness-dominated even without my help. Probably why I'm such an optimistic Ness! :laugh:

Noa.

Smash Master
Is Shaky also attending that one?

And yeah, V pulled out Ness in GFs and took out Atyeo's Fox in the end, although I'm not sure, did she use Villager for the majority of the tournament or was Ness used at other times too? Australia is Ness-dominated even without my help. Probably why I'm such an optimistic Ness! :laugh:
Idk if Shaky has returned back to FL from KS. Maybe he has. We will see. :V

I'm also working on the matchup chart now. hehehee

Last edited:

SuperTorn

Smash Apprentice
NNID
SuperTorn
Nice! I'm replaying EB and I just got Poo in my party now.
The EXP spread is kinda an issue, though. Whenever someone in my party dies, I'm left thinking "This guy's gonna suck now."
omg same, especially when a long running battle where you get more EXP or Sanctuary Guardian/Boss where you get massive EXP

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
omg same, especially when a long running battle where you get more EXP or Sanctuary Guardian/Boss where you get massive EXP
That's what happened at the Third Sanctuary I went to. Jeff died, and if I remember correctly so did Paula. So Ness ended up with about +2 levels, while his buddies sat in the hospital getting nothing but healed up...

AwkwardNess

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Awkw4rdAss4ssin
That's what happened at the Third Sanctuary I went to. Jeff died, and if I remember correctly so did Paula. So Ness ended up with about +2 levels, while his buddies sat in the hospital getting nothing but healed up...
When I was fighting the Fourth Sanctuary boss, Jeff died. I knew that the boss would drop tons of EXP, so instead of fighting the boss, I just started praying with Paula. Luckily, I got Jeff to revive for him to level up.
This is the struggle.

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
When I was fighting the Fourth Sanctuary boss, Jeff died. I knew that the boss would drop tons of EXP, so instead of fighting the boss, I just started praying with Paula. Luckily, I got Jeff to revive for him to level up.

This is the struggle.
Wait...pray isn't just for final battle?!?!?!

Why didn't you tell me this before?!?!?!

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
Pray works throughout the game, with random-ish effects each time, including small/large HP regen, PP regen, random status ailments to everyone on the battlefield, damage to enemies, etc. :3

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
Pray works throughout the game, with random-ish effects each time, including small/large HP regen, PP regen, random status ailments to everyone on the battlefield, damage to enemies, etc. :3
OK. Good to know.

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
(Skip this part, read 2nd part and part after video). Well guys I managed to snag some time to play EarthBound, but now I'm at a crossroad. Should I go to Winters and get the Sanctuary there or go to Summers in the Sky Runner first? Just an FYI, Ness is at level 45, Paula at 29, Jeff at 36. Should I be able to take down the Sanctuary Boss easily at Winters with these levels?

Also, gosh darn it that piece of music that plays when you get Paula back is so good!!! It's her theme right? Add that to the list of "Need to be in Smash" songs.

Nevermind the top part, got to Summers. I guess I need to get into the Stoic Club, find that one girl, and eat a Magic Cake to get Poo, correct? One last thing. Was that underground cave at Stonehenge (little dot in the center) in Winters of any MAJOR importance???

Last edited:

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
(Skip this part, read 2nd part and part after video). Well guys I managed to snag some time to play EarthBound, but now I'm at a crossroad. Should I go to Winters and get the Sanctuary there or go to Summers in the Sky Runner first? Just an FYI, Ness is at level 45, Paula at 29, Jeff at 36. Should I be able to take down the Sanctuary Boss easily at Winters with these levels?

Also, gosh darn it that piece of music that plays when you get Paula back is so good!!! It's her theme right? Add that to the list of "Need to be in Smash" songs.

Nevermind the top part, got to Summers. I guess I need to get into the Stoic Club, find that one girl, and eat a Magic Cake to get Poo, correct? One last thing. Was that underground cave at Stonehenge (little dot in the center) in Winters of any MAJOR importance???
For your last paragraph, the answers you seek are yes and yes. :p

When you go through that cave, read this spoiler below (or do it now, it's not a story spoiler so you're fine).

In that dungeon you'll find starmen, and if you keep farming off them you should get the Sword of Kings, which is Poo's legendary attack item. I think it's a 1/128 chance though, so it's up to you if it's worth it.

Last edited:

Krysco

Aeon Hero
NNID
Krysco
3DS FC
2122-7731-1180
So because I ranted earlier about spammy Ness' I'm now watching this thread (and have been too lazy to unwatch it) and while I don't use Ness at all in this game, I am getting useful tips for what to look out for like that PK Thunder rather than uair thing mentioned earlier.

However, recently there's been a good amount of talk regarding Earthbound and I'd just like to say that I'm unfortunately cursed to never beat that game. I first tried using an SNES, wanted to play it legitimately. Problem was that one day I turn the SNES on and my save file was gone...probably accidentally bumped into the SNES at night and messed up the cartridge or something. Second time trying to play the game was through emulator and then the computer I was using died and nothing could be recovered.

Haven't tried playing the game since that second (maybe third, may have tried twice with the emulator) attempt and I don't exactly recall how far I got but I know I got past Fourside and...is the reverse world called Moonside? The weird world where yes is no and no is yes, I got past that too but never got far enough to get Poo.

I see that Earthbound is available on the Wii U eshop and I'm considering getting it but I've got higher priorities at the moment. Anyways, there's my unfortunate tale regarding a great game that fate won't let me beat (even though it was only two, maybe three attempts)

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
So because I ranted earlier about spammy Ness' I'm now watching this thread (and have been too lazy to unwatch it) and while I don't use Ness at all in this game, I am getting useful tips for what to look out for like that PK Thunder rather than uair thing mentioned earlier.

However, recently there's been a good amount of talk regarding Earthbound and I'd just like to say that I'm unfortunately cursed to never beat that game. I first tried using an SNES, wanted to play it legitimately. Problem was that one day I turn the SNES on and my save file was gone...probably accidentally bumped into the SNES at night and messed up the cartridge or something. Second time trying to play the game was through emulator and then the computer I was using died and nothing could be recovered.

Haven't tried playing the game since that second (maybe third, may have tried twice with the emulator) attempt and I don't exactly recall how far I got but I know I got past Fourside and...is the reverse world called Moonside? The weird world where yes is no and no is yes, I got past that too but never got far enough to get Poo.

I see that Earthbound is available on the Wii U eshop and I'm considering getting it but I've got higher priorities at the moment. Anyways, there's my unfortunate tale regarding a great game that fate won't let me beat (even though it was only two, maybe three attempts)
I got all the way to the Cave of the Past (final dungeon) on my first attempt on an emulator before I wasn't able to play it again. A couple months ago I started again and whizzed through the game and beat it on my second attempt. I know how it feels, but it's worth going for it again when you have the chance! ;)

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
For your last paragraph, the answers you seek are yes and yes. :p

When you go through that cave, read this spoiler below (or do it now, it's not a story spoiler so you're fine).

In that dungeon you'll find starmen, and if you keep farming off them you should get the Sword of Kings, which is Poo's legendary attack item. I think it's a 1/128 chance though, so it's up to you if it's worth it.
Alright, great. How do I get back there though, seeing as how when I teleport to Winters I spawn at the mainland (near the school)? And the Skyrunner is obliterated, so I can't go directly to the Lab either.

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
You just have to brave it there. I think you can kinda do it whenever, so you can wait if you like whilst you get stronger, but even if you do it now, you have a healing machine in the lab so you can farm off the monsters there if you're feeling under-levelled at all.

And I'm basically counting down the days until Mother 4, I'm so excited. :D

Last edited:

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
You just have to brave it there. I think you can kinda do it whenever, so you can wait if you like whilst you get stronger, but even if you do it now, you have a healing machine in the lab so you can farm off the monsters there if you're feeling under-levelled at all.

And I'm basically counting down the days until Mother 4, I'm so excited. :D
It's possible to get from the mainland to the Stonehenge part without going across the sea?

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
It's possible to get from the mainland to the Stonehenge part without going across the sea?
The monkey should be there, where you summoned Tessie for the first time. If he's not then I guess you can't do it at this stage, but if her is, give him some gum and he'll summon Tessie for ya. ^_^

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
The monkey should be there, where you summoned Tessie for the first time. If he's not then I guess you can't do it at this stage, but if her is, give him some gum and he'll summon Tessie for ya. ^_^
Great. Thanks.

So, at this point, there's just way too much for me to remember considering I'll be on and off EarthBound for the rest of the school year. So I created this to help me remember things...

image.jpg

Lol. :p

Last edited:

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
The way I always remembered it, although I'm probably very wrong because I think the sky runner moves in certain directions that belie this, but I've always though it was Onett in the top left, Twoson directly below it with happy happy village ENE of Twoson. Then Threed was basically on the same line as Twoson, perhaps ESE considering how Twoson's road goes S for a while, and Saturn valley being NNE of Twoson quite a way. Doku doku desert was directly E of Threed, with Fourside directly E of that, and I actually liked to think Summers was reasonably far S of Fourside, with Winters being in the far north like in your map.

So basically we're the same except I thought of Summers as being far S of Fourside (I suspect the Sky runner actually goes W of Summers to reach Fourside though when you use it again so Ionno) and Threed as only being very slightly ESE of Twoson. :3

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
The way I always remembered it, although I'm probably very wrong because I think the sky runner moves in certain directions that belie this, but I've always though it was Onett in the top left, Twoson directly below it with happy happy village ENE of Twoson. Then Threed was basically on the same line as Twoson, perhaps ESE considering how Twoson's road goes S for a while, and Saturn valley being NNE of Twoson quite a way. Doku doku desert was directly E of Threed, with Fourside directly E of that, and I actually liked to think Summers was reasonably far S of Fourside, with Winters being in the far north like in your map.

So basically we're the same except I thought of Summers as being far S of Fourside (I suspect the Sky runner actually goes W of Summers to reach Fourside though when you use it again so Ionno) and Threed as only being very slightly ESE of Twoson. :3
I would've put Summers there if I hadn't run out of room on the bottom of the paper. Plus Summers and Winters are really just islands of their own, so it doesn't really matter.

That picture is upside down.
Is it? Because from Luco's description and my own it's pretty accurate. I thought I put everything in the right spot...somebody get a world map of EarthBound please.

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
Oh, I gotcha now. It looks right side up to me. But what you guys are seeing is that Summers and Winters are at the bottom of the picture, not the top?

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
Oh, I gotcha now. It looks right side up to me. But what you guys are seeing is that Summers and Winters are at the bottom of the picture, not the top?
Rightcha.

I really wish I could find anything aside from the EB central interview that confirms that Itoi and Nintendo would be fine with M4. It'd make my week. :p

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
Shoot that's right! He comes out today! I need to get him SOON!!!

Noa.

Smash Master
So I have started the dthrow data collection. It's going to be pretty extensive. I just started it and it's going to take a very long time. Would anyone like to help? I'd love to have someone corroborate my data. The combos are not too easy to perform and I don't have enough faith in my tech skill to be sure.

As long as you have a Wii u and are willing to devote time I'd appreciate it. The more people the better so that we could all check each other more easily. Just message me if you'd like to help!

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
I'd help but I only have the 3DS! I reckon you'll get a few helpers though easily.

Oh! But I know what will help you. Have you checked the competitive Impressions thread recently Noa? @Trifroze collected some data on Dthrow hitstun at different percentages that I think would be of insane use to you. Good luck my friend!

DJDave189

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DJDave157
got a ness amiibo today from gamestop- hes beautiful.....
I was sooo close on getting him but they only had three and I was fourth in line. Oh well I'll get one in the future.

Last edited:

Meccs

@Meccs_
lol i was first in line at like 8:15. there was only like 4 people in line until like 8:50 then like 15 more people showed up. You'd think the main gs in Boston would be more crowded. They had probably 7 Nesses and a ton of everything else, too. I grabbed a Robin for my friend. I have a 9-5 (well, 8:30-5:30) and I'm in that area at ~8:20 every day anyways so not like it was too much of a change from my normal routine.

Last edited:

MewtwoMaster2002

ミュウツーマスター2002
3DS FC
2922-0496-2962
lol i was first in line at like 8:15. there was only like 4 people in line until like 8:50 then like 15 more people showed up. You'd think the main gs in Boston would be more crowded. They had probably 7 Nesses and a ton of everything else, too. I grabbed a Robin for my friend. I have a 9-5 (well, 8:30-5:30) and I'm in that area at ~8:20 every day anyways so not like it was too much of a change from my normal routine.
There were no Ness amiibo left at the GS near my house by the time I got there 30 minutes after opening...I am pretty sure if there were any, they were for pre-orders anyways. At least that was what I was told a while back...

Noa.

Smash Master
I'd help but I only have the 3DS! I reckon you'll get a few helpers though easily.

Oh! But I know what will help you. Have you checked the competitive Impressions thread recently Noa? @Trifroze collected some data on Dthrow hitstun at different percentages that I think would be of insane use to you. Good luck my friend!
I'm really far behind on the impressions thread. And I don't want to skip over 40 pages. Can you quote the post here? :)

And I'm just concerned cause I don't know if the computer in training mode on stop DIs all.

Top Bottom