• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Stigma Of Banning

Praxis

Smash Hero
BRoomer
NOTE: THIS IS UNRELATED TO THE MK BAN DISCUSSION.

I've been involved in a lot of discussions regarding stages. I am strongly of the opinion that Green Greens is a viable counterpick, and feel there is a lot of misinformation on the stage. Players who know the stage rarely if ever get gimped by it at random, and the bombs don't do that much damage. More importantly, it's possibly the only viable MK counterpick in the game (20% damage from bombs matters more to him, and the short sides and ceilings removes his recovery advantage, so he dies fast).

Now, once I demolish everyone's arguments regarding "random bomb kills" (which don't happen to players who know how the stage works), the most common argument I get is that Dedede can infinite people on the stage.

And this is where I am hopelessly confused.

Why would you ban the stage *just* because Dedede can infinite there? In the case of stages like Corneria, maybe I can see it, because a lot of characters can infinite with dtilt. But on Greens, characters' dtilts destroy the blocks unless spaced ridiculously well (requiring your opponent to be ridiculously stupid), so the dtilt infinites don't work, and if you're worried you can just destroy the blocks (they don't replenish if you only destroy the ones on the bottom).

Literally the entire viable argument for banning Green Greens is based around "It lets Dedede infinite people". Except...why would we ban this stage for this reason?

My opinion: It seems that people have a stigma against banning characters and techniques. Banning a technique seems like a stifle against the metagame, and thus uncompetitive- the result is that everyone would rather ban a bunch of stages just because of Dedede's infinite, instead of just banning the infinite. It's the same thing, except banning the stages hurts other characters outside of Dedede as well (Greens is great for characters with poor recovery, especially with the ability to kill off the top).

My argument:

Green Greens should not be banned on account of the Dedede infinite. If the Dedede infinite is legal, then Greens should be legal. If you don't want the infinite, ban the infinite, and not the stage.

Deoxys

Smash Lord
Corneria isn't banned, because there's a blast zone behind it that they have to have their back to. There are times where the infinite isn't broken, like on Corneria and PS1. Thus, to many people, banning the infinite makes less sense than banning the stages on which it is abusable. Another reason that it is done this way is because banning aspects of characters is less appealing than banning stages to most competitive fans of fighting games.

Praxis

Smash Hero
BRoomer
Corneria isn't banned, because there's a blast zone behind it that they have to have their back to. There are times where the infinite isn't broken, like on Corneria

What? Dedede just has to end it with an uptilt. There's nothing blocking the player from flying off the top. Or a bthrow!

Not an infinite, the wall is temporary.

Another reason that it is done this way is because banning aspects of characters is less appealing than banning stages to most competitive fans of fighting games.
That's exactly the stigma I'm pointing at.

WHY is banning a stage to prevent a technique from being used preferable to simply banning the technique?

Also, Corneria is banned in many places.

Lore

Infinite Gravity
BRoomer
You know what? I agree completely with this thread. If a stage like Green Greens has a SMALL chance of letting a DDD infinite, people just go bananas. If a a good stage should be banned because people may have a chance to use an extremely overused tech, the stage itself shouldn't be banned. Ban the technique if its THAT bad, not the stage.

Shadow Moses Island, though, is a little bit different since the walls are pretty much ALWAYS there and you can use them for all sorts of things. Stages like THAT though, should be banned. If a stage like Green Greens doesn't have that all the time, it really shouldn't be banned.

Nightshine

Smash Journeyman
Wow, I never acually that out this until now lol. But I agree with Praxis on this one. Banning anything in a game shouldn't happen. If its in the game its supposed to be used not banned. Those harder stages are there to be more of a strategic challenge to those. Banning it is just an easy way out to avoid it and have people complain about.

K 2

Smash Lord
Why is Corneria Banned? I believe you can only infinite by the fin, right? If so, DON'T GO THERE IF YOUR OPPONENT IS STANDING IN PRIME INFINITING POSITION! Problem Solved.

ZeroFox

Smash Lord
Nice read. I don't know where I stand on the banning of certain levels though, like Green Greens, or Corneria. I mean, some levels need to be banned, but those? Not sure...

4Serial

Smash Lord
Green Greens is an extremely campy stage, and I honestly think Corneria is too... It just adds excessive camping to the game, which is the last thing Brawl needs
I agree with the DDD infinite argument though.

Irsic

Smash Ace
Only you Praxis would argue this. :D

I personally don't like Green Greens, I wand Dreamland back N64. :[

...So I'm not going to have a stance on this.

Bring back Dreamland IMO!

ThePacifist

Smash Rookie
Only you Praxis would argue this. :D

I personally don't like Green Greens, I wand Dreamland back N64. :[

...So I'm not going to have a stance on this.

Bring back Dreamland IMO!

I miss Dreamland so much...

Tamoo

Smash Master
Though i totally agree with everything that has been banned up to now, u have raised a few questions in my head. I would really like to just go to one tournament where everything that is in the game is allowed, every technique and stage (items off ofcourse lol) to see who would be the best then. Different stages require different strategies and people cant say theyre awesome at the game if they can beat someone on fd but not hyrule temple... just my opinion tho...

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
Green Greens is an extremely campy stage, and I honestly think Corneria is too... It just adds excessive camping to the game, which is the last thing Brawl needs
:confused: Corneria is not a camp stage... you use that stage for quick kills. The extremely low blast zones makes this a quick match. WHY would anyone ban this stage is beyond me.

Wasn't Bridge of Eldin banned too because of DDD's (and IC's?) chaingrab?

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
BoE was partly banned because of Dedede, but also because the stage is huge and most major tourney matches played on it went to the time limit.

Stages where 1 character = autowin = bad.

colored blind

Smash Journeyman
How do you plan to ban the infinite? Limit it to certain number of times you can perform the Dthrow? Awesome, the DDD will use a different attack, then use the infinite again to rack up more damage. Or the DDD and the opponent argue about the number of times the Dthrow's been done. Especially when repeating Dthrows with DDD normally isn't cheating. It's a lot easier, more practical, and more clear-cut to ban stages as opposed to a technique, especially one like DDD's Dthrow chaingrab, which is an integral part of his gameplay on other stages.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
how come we never take the old ness in 64 argument to melee or brawl

saffron city was a starter stage, UNLESS Ness was in the game, then it became CP
Probably because there was no real official ruling for smash 64, though There's a similar ruleset in Australia. some stages like boE (which I think will be changed since we found more than just Dedeed can chainthrowkill on it) that they are counterpicks, unless you are Dedede, in which case it's banned.

Delta_BP26

Smash Ace
Bridge of Eldin. Also... There has to be a way to ban the infinite. It'll make our lives so much easier...

colored blind

Smash Journeyman
how come we never take the old ness in 64 argument to melee or brawl

saffron city was a starter stage, UNLESS Ness was in the game, then it became CP
There are also a number of jab locks that push a character with a missed tech to the end of a stage, so walk-off stages aren't problematic just because of DDD. Though, I don't think it's a gigantic problem.

Nibbles 2

Smash Apprentice
I agree with Praxis, banning a stage because one character can infinite is ridiculous. You can simply destroy the blocks or just don't get yourself in that position to start with (I know those are fairly weak arguments, but I still believe banning every character from using it because it's advantageous to one character is stupid in my opinion).

Praxis

Smash Hero
BRoomer
Green Greens is not a campy stage. The blocks block projectiles, preventing projectile camping, and running away lines you up with the blast zones. Camping under the platforms lets people bounce you off the blocks into combos.

A campy stage is Hanenbow.

Kaabi

Smash Cadet
It is easier to camp in Green Greens than Hanenbow.
I don't like banning in general, but especially in Green Grrens DDD's chance is not that big, so why ban it?
Corneria is much more prone to this.

Charizard92

Smash Champion
OK, here is something SOMEBODY HAS TO POINT OUT:

GREEN GREENS IS NOT A COMPLETE BAN! It is something called a borderline ban, which means it's up to the tourney official
walls demote stages, temporary walls less than permanent ones (Explains PS1's borderline Starter and Corneria's counter pick dealy)

To be fair, this isn't high on my hated list (norfair and Rainbow Cruise, along with the majority of Banned stages, are), so squabble all you want to be about how you think it should be more legal, I'll just go the Taoist way and just ignore it.

Pearl Floatzel

Smash Apprentice
Green Greens can be irritating, but no more than many counterpicks. You said it well, the walls are different on this stage because they can be broken almost instantly. And banning GG because of the bombs is like banning Jungle Japes because of the claptrap. No intelligent person will even be in a position to be hit by them.
I think it should be a standard counterpick, rather than borderline.

Midnaftw

Smash Cadet
I don't know... I'm near a giant marshmallow if th
In my opinion, green greens is an awesome stage and Dedede shouldn't have it banned. Anybody who hits one of the bombs is either playing their first ever game or ********. But I'm surpised nobody has brought up the apples. They have KO potential, but they aren't exactly ****-turtles.

Nybb

Smash Journeyman
Though i totally agree with everything that has been banned up to now, u have raised a few questions in my head. I would really like to just go to one tournament where everything that is in the game is allowed, every technique and stage (items off ofcourse lol) to see who would be the best then. Different stages require different strategies and people cant say theyre awesome at the game if they can beat someone on fd but not hyrule temple... just my opinion tho...
All meta knight players would just win with infinite cape.

Not so utopian eh?

Green Greens is not a campy stage. The blocks block projectiles,
Exactly. So you just sit on one of the far platforms behind a block wall and the opponent is pretty much forced to approach, which is what camping is.

Also, the argument to ban his grab infinite is ridiculous in this situation. D3 is far from being the only person who can infinite against walls.

Top Bottom