• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Sonic Glitch/Tech/Non-obvious move list & Gimp Guide *updated 2/16*

TwinkleToes

Smash Lord
Apparently it's much faster and requires more precise timing...

I've gotten about half way through the Fox entry. I've added his spike info which is one of the more tedious aspects so the rest should go pretty quickly.

thecatinthehat

Smash Master
Apparently it's much faster and requires more precise timing...

I've gotten about half way through the Fox entry. I've added his spike info which is one of the more tedious aspects so the rest should go pretty quickly.
Is the timing as absurd as Sheik's? I've done with her like once in 100 attempts. It's insane.

Tenki

Smash Hero

Spin Shotting:
Initiate a down-b or side-b. After any amount of charging, release the charge and immediately hit either the jump button or a jump direction on the control stick. This will launch Sonic faster and at a lower angle than his normal jump, but will leave him without his second jump. Can be done both on the ground and in the air, but can only launch in the forward direction. [Credited to InterimOfZeal]
[Video 1]

..isn't that what this said?

also, I can't get it to work from down B x.x;

Tenki

Smash Hero
the spinshots in the first post imply spinshotting immediately after the charge.
I'm talking about the one after rolling around the stage .:p
spinshot as in the fast-speed jump with no attack aura..?

doing a spindash jump is fast, but it's not as fast or as low as a spinshot.

If that is what you're talking about, do tell how it's done =|

Johnnyboy

Smash Journeyman
Rotterdam, the Netherlands, Europe, Earth
That's the one.
Basically you initiate a side-b or down-b roll with any amount of charging.
After Sonic starts rolling around you steer him towards an edge and jump the moment het leaves the edge.
This results in the same effect as the standing spinshot, Sonic losing his second jump and not having the attack aura.
It seems to work on all edges, Stage or platform.

TwinkleToes

Smash Lord
Hold on Johnny I'll take a quick look at that.

Also, I added a Glossary section to the Gimp Guide which outlines how to do all the gimps as well as general notes about them. Fox will be done soon and I'll move on to Falco and Wolf after that and Ike after those guys are finished.

Browny

Smash Hater
mmm goodness. before i got to uni ill add a few things.

homing attack vs fox/falco will pretty much kill them if they use firefox/bird. it takes some incredible timing, but they delay on thier recovery is enough for it to hit. also sonic is pretty **** threatening off the stage since they fall so fast if they airdodge or attack they will probably fall to thier death. they will very often stick to using thier side b, which is just too easy to edgehog if you do the roll-hug instant ledge grab. this technique is so incredibly effective everyone needs to master it. ultimate mindgames since you can set up for a b-air off the stage and then in an instant, edgehog without ever leaving the ground.

TwinkleToes

Smash Lord
I usually just spring gimp or dair into them if they try an up-b. I've never tried homing attack before though because I worry that they'll use a forward-b if I do it prematurely.

The_Dyne

Smash Journeyman
Sonic's Usmash cancel is easier than Sheik's, but if you're fully dashing already, there isn't any more distance than a hyphen smash.

Tenki

Smash Hero
Hold on Johnny I'll take a quick look at that.

Also, I added a Glossary section to the Gimp Guide which outlines how to do all the gimps as well as general notes about them. Fox will be done soon and I'll move on to Falco and Wolf after that and Ike after those guys are finished.
It does work.

I accidentally did it while trying to do a Spindash Jump off the stage to chase my brother.

I ended up being too low to hit him and almost suicided because I didn't have my double jump :[

Not sure about the timing, but it CAN be done ._.;

Shadow5YA

Smash Cadet
I think the teleporting can only be done on custom stages. They're known to have more glitches than the normal stages.

TwinkleToes

Smash Lord
Why would that be? Do you have an actual explanation or are you talking out of your as$ here?

Tenki

Smash Hero
Air Dash also works on:
Pictochat(saw it on list),
..Pirate ship (when the ship hits the rock)

The stupid part is that it works on the bottom edge of the ship.

I was like "OH CRAP! SONIC'S MOVING REALLY FAST ON THE WATER!? HE CAN FREAKIN RUN ON WATER! YESSS!"

...then I realized it was airdash working underwater, and then I airdashed off the stage and died.

gg.

TwinkleToes

Smash Lord
I call it air dashing BECAUSE I CAN.
It's that thing we used to call incline glitching-- you know where you use your side-b on a 45 degree angle platform and you rocket through the air?

Browny

Smash Hater
Sonic's Usmash cancel is easier than Sheik's, but if you're fully dashing already, there isn't any more distance than a hyphen smash.
normal hyphen smash covers approx 2/5 of FD. dash attack cancelled upsmash covers 1/2. its also about 2x quicker, but 10x harder to pull off

TwinkleToes

Smash Lord
I heard someone say that before (think it was you) and I thought it sounded ridiculous. If you're not including the running the hyphen smash definitely does not cover that much distance. Maybe 1/5 FD. And hypen smashing is one of the easiest techs to do, dash canceling seems to be more than 10 times as difficult.

memphischains

Smash hhkj'
when you start the snake gimp, make sure you note that you can grab him to stop him from using the cypher agian. thats kind of a big deal. and god dammit but that sonic can wall kick after his up b, its a non obvious trait and it saves you hardcore from FD's edges.

also with snake, make that a down throw is the best way to get him off the edge. sonic needs to have him below him while off the stage because of snakes super armor while on the cypher. uair, homing, and all of teh usual gimping moves are almost useless.

the fair is ok when you attack the part where he is holding the cypher, and i would say the bair but that traget is so small. it is really hard to hit.

also note that sonic's side b spin dash is unaffected by his weapons while his down b spin dash usually is. i really haven't taken the time to fully understand whats going on with the whole spindash priority thing, but i have found that the side b works best against snake.

uhhh i think thats its. i'm sure theres more but i'm so tired, lol.

EDIT - can we put that lame weight analyst thing i wrote a while that like 4 people read in here?

thecatinthehat

Smash Master
I pulled it off in a dittos match last night. It's not nearly as hard as Sheik's. It's alot harder than Snake's, that's for sure. It goes far sure, but the speed renders it useless. Too slow. Hyphen-smashing is much more profitable.

InterimOfZeal

Smash Champion
normal hyphen smash covers approx 2/5 of FD. dash attack cancelled upsmash covers 1/2. its also about 2x quicker, but 10x harder to pull off
Does it really go that far? Could you make a replay and send it to me? I don't think I'm doing it right, if that's the case.

TwinkleToes

Smash Lord
I think you people are on crack or some kind of visual-distortion drug because I don't think you're right about the distance at all.

memphis, I'll keep that in mind when I get around to his gimp section. Although he might come a bit later because honestly I don't think he's one of the characters people have a real hard time dealing with.
And I'm not going to add the wall-kick thing in because it is an obvious aspect of his game... you can do anything except another b-move out of up-b how hard is that to understand >.>

Tenki

Smash Hero
I think you people are on crack or some kind of visual-distortion drug because I don't think you're right about the distance at all.

memphis, I'll keep that in mind when I get around to his gimp section. Although he might come a bit later because honestly I don't think he's one of the characters people have a real hard time dealing with.
And I'm not going to add the wall-kick thing in because it is an obvious aspect of his game... you can do anything except another b-move out of up-b how hard is that to understand >.>
well it definitely goes further. when i learned about snake's cancel, i tried it with Sonic. But it's easier for me to aim hyphen-smashing, so I'd rather do that.

Besides, I think if you charge a h-smash I think you slide a little farther.

InterimOfZeal

Smash Champion

Snake isn't a character people have a hard time dealing with? Wtf? Snake is freakin' good.

TwinkleToes

Smash Lord
I always thought his slow speed made him an easy match for Sonic :/

I guess I should try to find the best Snake player on the board and ask him to have a match with me because I've really never had any problems beating Snake so far.

thecatinthehat

Smash Master
I'll try to get a vid of the up-smash cancel up today.
I'm 99% sure you're timing it too fast if you can't pull it off.

InterimOfZeal

Smash Champion
Snake's kinda ridiculous. I dunno, I haven't fought one with my Sonic, but a lot of other characters have a seriously hard time with him, simply because of his MASSIVE priority and ability to kill super early. His utilt is death incarnate.

If SpiritDragon takes first at NM and AZonetwo, we're gonna try banning Snake for one Colorado tournament, just to see how it goes.

TwinkleToes

Smash Lord
Finished the Fox gimp entry. Space animals are so easy to gimp I'm skipping Falco and Wolf for now and moving straight to Ike. I think I'll do Snake after that since so many people seem to have difficulties with him.

samper

Smash Cadet
In one of the other threads there's talk about SA frames or out right invincibility while you're actually balled (so at the top of the attack I think) up during Sonic's Usmash, maybe a well timed hyphen smash could get past Snake's jab?

I mean, if he's standing there holding A he's not moving, so I don't think it would be that hard to time, and if I remember correctly Sonic moves forward a bit while he's in midair during his Usmash if you run, or dash cancel, or whatever, so that might be a way around a jab wall.

It wouldn't work forever obviously, but it would certainly discourage a Snake from standing still and jabbing all day...assuming the Usmash can get through it at all that is, I don't have my wii at the moment due to finals, so I can't test any of this for myself.

Tenki

Smash Hero
IMO the gimp guide should be a thread of its own, since this thread will probably become cluttered with too many pages alternating between "how do you gimp this character?!" and discussion on Sonic's techs.

InterimOfZeal

Smash Champion
You can dodge Snake's jabs with usmash. You can do this against most characters, really. Can also use it to dodge dsmashes, and low-to-the-ground fsmashes.

TwinkleToes

Smash Lord
samper, pretty sure it's not an invincibility thing, it's just a weird hitbox issue. I've definitely been aerial attacked at all sorts of points while trying to use that U-smash.

Tenki, there's progressively less stuff to find out about techs and such. Plus, if i made a new thread for the gimp guide it would probably get lost >.>
Sticky power ftw!

Although, I really did want to have it merged with the character match-up thread.

Top Bottom