• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Sonic Glitch/Tech/Non-obvious move list & Gimp Guide *updated 2/16*

Terios the Hedgehog

Smash Hero
Hey, just a random question and a reminder:

Question: what happened to that "increase the Dsmash range" thing?

Reminder: not really useful, but who knows... Yellow Sonic has some weird shadows when in ball form. Go to WiFi waiting room and jump. Look at his shadow. The other colors don't seem to be affected like this at all.
It was just doing it near the edge. Izzy was messing with us.

BTW. I watched that Zamus match. Why did you let a chimp play? XD

ShadowLink84

Smash Hero
i think I may have a theory on doing the double spring move.
I was messing around before a wifi match and at one point instead of the air tumbling motion, Snic was in the idle falling stance. I didn't ^B since I wasn't exactly looking for a way to do it at the time. >.<

TwinkleToes

Smash Lord
So far I'm convinced that the double air spring is a myth. People that go looking for it are only gonna find footstool jumps.

FrostByte

Smash Lord
i think I may have a theory on doing the double spring move.
I was messing around before a wifi match and at one point instead of the air tumbling motion, Snic was in the idle falling stance. I didn't ^B since I wasn't exactly looking for a way to do it at the time. >.<

me said:
If Sonic does not perform his landing animation, he will not get his spring back. This means if he springs from underneath the ledge/platform and lands on it perfectly or if he gets grabbed (but not hit) while in the spring tumble animation. Through the first method, you'll be able to jump but will go into spring tumble straight after. No second jump and no spring.
This was from the spring thread. You can tell what landing animation is because there's a little puff of smoke when he lands from a spring. If he doesn't land then he won't get his jumps back. I think it happens with Snake too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eSOiGOvTzws

InterimOfZeal

Smash Champion
Sonic does not have to land to get his spring back. If that were the case, I would love an explanation as to how I can sometimes dair the spring, then spring afterwards.

MdrnDayMercutio

Smash Champion
The only cases I've seen of getting the spring back is a hit or landing.

Dairing into it, or the Dair stall, might cause a glitch?

I could most definatly be wrong about this but from personal expierence that's what I've seen.

MdrnDayMercutio

Smash Champion
This was from the spring thread. You can tell what landing animation is because there's a little puff of smoke when he lands from a spring. If he doesn't land then he won't get his jumps back. I think it happens with Snake too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eSOiGOvTzws
Game and Watch as well, actually. It seems to be all characters that can attack out of their Up B. Which, incidently, is all characters whose UpB involves generating an item of sorts.

There aren't any other characters that can attack out of their UpB is there?

Crap, i'm double posting aren't I?

FrostByte

Smash Lord
Sonic does not have to land to get his spring back. If that were the case, I would love an explanation as to how I can sometimes dair the spring, then spring afterwards.
The only way I've been able to spring twice is by hitting the ground first. Once Sonic is in the spring tumble state, nothing should be able to get him out of it unless interrupted. Only explanation I can think of is moving/tilted platform abnotmailties.

InterimOfZeal

Smash Champion
Yes ma'am. I'll get right on that. If I could do it on command, then I'd just tell you guys how to do it. It's not really necessary for me to defend my credibility, methinks. If I can get it, I'll get it. If not, whatever, we'll figure it out sooner or later.

Dash cancelled usmashes are actually really handy. Especially against Wario, the world's biggest **** to Sonic ever. Kirby, too.

Sonic ~may~ have some slight (liek 1 or 2 frames) invincibility frames on his usmash for the body. I've been beating a lot of really good moves with it lately. It may just have ridiculous priority, though, and a disjointed hitbox at the top. All I know is that I've nommed Kirby's dair with it.

Also, Jiggs' dair can clash cancel with Zelda's usmash. How tight is that?

TwinkleToes

Smash Lord
Zeal, why is a dash-cancel up-smash any more useful than a hyphen smash against Wario?

Terios the Hedgehog

Smash Hero
So the DACUsmash is when you hit dash, then C-down and then up and Z at the same time right?

Or are you talking about the one that's Dash Attack then Upsmash like in Snakedashing?

MdrnDayMercutio

Smash Champion
Forgot about the winged characters. But I barely count Yoshi and Jiggs as having an UpB. I should have put the word recovery in there.

Shadow5YA

Smash Cadet
Right, but Sonic runs so fast that I fail to see why you'd need to do that...
True, but a lot of Sonic's running momentum is cancelled when Sonic usmashes. With DAC, Sonic will slide a lot more (assuming Sonic's dashattack is suitable for DAC), resulting in a farther jump with the usmash. That means Sonic can better counter some ground projectiles, and get Wario off his bike without taking some damage.

InterimOfZeal

Smash Champion
It's useful because you don't have to wait to get momentum to jump over stupid crap like his bite (which can shut down Sonic pretty well, otherwise). Just DAC Usmash right next to him, you hop the bite, and he gets 12%

Deathwish238

Smash Apprentice
wtf umm it'll be helpful to show in a video whenever somebody else makes another sonic tutorial vid. and sorry but what does DAC stand for?

Tenki

Smash Hero
Dash attack cancel.

It's basically the same input you'd do for Snake's Mortar Slide, but with different timing.

You'll slide further than you usually would while doing upsmash.

TwinkleToes

Smash Lord
Upon closer inspection, it seems that knocking snake off his cypher is mostly dependent on knock-back power. So nair (initial frames), bair, and homing attack are moves that I've found hugely effective against him.

Shadow5YA

Smash Cadet
I'll get a video up today....count on it.
Edit: lol Nevermind. tomorrow
Let me know when you do. I need to learn how to get the DAC timing down with Sonic. I can do it with Link and Snake, but I haven't been able to do it with Sonic yet.

Deathwish238

Smash Apprentice
ok thanks, nice find i would've never thought you could've done it with sonic who else can do it besides link, snake, falco, and snake? is it that common of a move?

TwinkleToes

Smash Lord
I'm pretty sure it is. In fact, I haven't heard of a character not being able to do it...

TwinkleToes

Smash Lord
Did anyone else know of the ledge renewal tech? It's where you aerial past a ledge and get your second jump back. I thought it was interesting and I was kind of surprised that no one else here ever mentioned it.

Edit: Hm, been having some problems getting it down. I'm starting to think that it can't be used for much.

Tenki

Smash Hero
on invincibility and the f-air spike

:< put the invincibility frame information in the first post. I'm tired of saying things like

"Side b invincibility is only in the initial frames of the hop, with a similar duration/timing to Ike's Eruption super armor"

"Spring invincibility/dodge frames last from the moment Sonic jumps (not while still on the spring) until about a spindash jump height higher than his jumping point."

Also, F-air semispike.
After further testing, I found the conditions (or something close to it) for the F-air semispike:
- Person must be hit somewhere in the space between the spinning hands and the head (lower-front corner of hitbox)
- Needs a specific DI, most likely down DI. (use it against someone who's fastfalling or crouches when hit by aerials?)
- For practicality purposes, needs to be done by the edge, so they don't bounce off the platform >_>

I switched between 'control' and 'stop' CPUs and found that it worked semi consistently when the 'stop' CPU's stayed by the floor during the F-air combo (probably SDI/DI downwards during the hit) while the 'control' CPU got caught by the F-air combo and started floating upwards with me.

Top Bottom