• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Sonic Glitch/Tech/Non-obvious move list & Gimp Guide *updated 2/16*

Terios the Hedgehog

Smash Hero
Did anyone else know of the ledge renewal tech? It's where you aerial past a ledge and get your second jump back. I thought it was interesting and I was kind of surprised that no one else here ever mentioned it.

Edit: Hm, been having some problems getting it down. I'm starting to think that it can't be used for much.
I sent Cat a video where Phoenix does that. Ask him.

I was meaning to test the Fair Spike. I was thinking of RARing a Fair. Which is fun regardless but I never remember to do it in the heat of battle. XD

thecatinthehat

Smash Master
I sent Cat a video where Phoenix does that. Ask him.

I was meaning to test the Fair Spike. I was thinking of RARing a Fair. Which is fun regardless but I never remember to do it in the heat of battle. XD
I was thinking of putting it up. That and the Dash attack cancel. I'm gonna try today, but that's not a promise. My setup is being extremely ghey this week.

Napilopez

Smash Lord
Imma be oboxious and repost my thought on the SideB Running grab since I seem to have been ignored ='[ *cries* =P

I think you should add in the boost that shield cancelling SideB gives when running. I tested it today in slow motion and shield cancelling a SideB while running and then shield grabbing always gave me more grab distaance than the standard running grab, but without the horible end lag, so I find it to be safer.

Also useful for mindgames due to the Spindash sound XD

ShadowLink84

Smash Hero
The side B does NOT I repeat NOT have invincibility frames. It has very high priority.
During the initia;l part of the hop with the "invincibility frames" Luigi's fireball cuts through everytime.

Unless it is a specific part of the ball that has invincibility frames I think its safe to say it has high priority.

TwinkleToes

Smash Lord
It might just be an issue of strange hitbox placement and Luigi's fireball is able to find it.

One way or the other I'm not putting that back up there.

InterimOfZeal

Smash Champion
Seriously, his nair and fair cut through Olimar's usmash. Luigi is hax.

I'll try out the fireball stuff later. If it plays out how I think it will, Imma put up invincibility on mah guide.

Tenki

Smash Hero
The side B does NOT I repeat NOT have invincibility frames. It has very high priority.
During the initia;l part of the hop with the "invincibility frames" Luigi's fireball cuts through everytime.

Unless it is a specific part of the ball that has invincibility frames I think its safe to say it has high priority.
I tried it with Luigi and Mario's fireballs, and you're right about the fireball being destroyed by the hop. It's weird. Maybe it's the fireballs as a projectile, since you can basically "damage" them to get rid of them. You know, since Side-B does damage and all.

But I don't see any reason as to why Sonic can pass through things like Samus's full-charged shot without stopping it (he literally goes through it), or why he can do the hop through Eruption, D3 F-smash, Wolf lasers without them clanking or being destroyed, without taking damage. Maybe the said projectiles have more 'projectile hp', if such a thing exists. But this isn't Little Fighter, so I can't say for sure x.x;

Maybe he has both invincibility and high priority during those frames. I have stopped Metaknight's ground Tornado with this >_>

But either way, there's nothing that I've seen aside from stage obstacles that can hurt Sonic during this hop. Can't get hurt? That's invincibility, isn't it?

---------

Also, I posted this in another thread (doesn't seem to be read much). It's not so much a Glitch/Tech/Non-obvious move. It's more of a... property of a special attack that's not understood too well or known about. I haven't seen any mention of it, but IT'S TOO GOOD! D:

- Aerial full Spin Charge (6-7 taps?) does 11 damage! [edit]Actually, all you have to do is hold forward! The faster you go (sideways), the more damage it does, REGARDLESS of charge!!
[additions]
- Aerial Spin Charge combos into a 2nd hit if you do it high enough and with low enough damage (under 100%?), and it does anything from 7-10 damage! I'm thinking momentum has a role in this, where more momentum adds damage to the first hit, this one might do more if you have less momentum. This means that each ASC is basically worth 18-21 damage!
- Tapping more only affects the damage/speed of the spindash on the ground

and the best part:
-Aerial Spin Charge can be cancelled by shield upon landing
Try holding shield as you land. HAX!

Addition: Aerial Spin Charge simple Combo!
ASC [hit] > ASC [2nd hit] > double jump+Aerial
F-air: 28-35 damage
N-air: 29-32 damage
U-air: 27-30 damage

This move is too good, too good :O

TwinkleToes

Smash Lord
Tenki I don't really get what you're saying in that post... aerial spin charge? Wha?

Browny

Smash Hater
its true... i noticed it yesterday for the first time against my brother, i charges up down b after getting knocked up, and rammed into him with the underside of sonic from the air, did a lot more damage than normal and almost killed him off the top at 150%.

Tenki

Smash Hero
Okay, pretty much, Aerial Spin Charge (down-B) is probably Sonic's strongest combo starter, and it's got its use in battle, as a damager and a feint. I haven't seen mention of its features yet, so I'm assuming I'm the first (at least, to group all of these together). And if that's true, then it's not a widely known/understood move :x

I explained it clearer (?) here:
http://allisbrawl.com/forum/topic.aspx?id=11834

Summary:
- ASC has an inherent two-hit hit combo that sets up for an aerial combo, similar to how aerial side-B does (pops them up)
- The damage of the first hit depends on your speed, not charge. All you have to do is hold forward and you'll do full damage (11%), from any height! Side-B loses its attack hitbox after enough fall time (not much), but Down-B can have its attack hitbox on as long as you hold forward. The first hit has high knockback, so like djbrowny said, it can kill off the top. From full hop height, it can do it from like..140-150% (no stale move). On a standing Mario, it's around 180%.
- I'm not sure how the damage from the 2nd hit is calculated, but it fluctuates from 7-10%. Pretty much, all you have to do is be next to your enemy, or just keep holding forward - this means that each "forward" ASC is worth at least 18 damage, 15 if you want to factor in stale moves, with out counting the aerial. Either way, this one pops them up with lesser knockback so you can combo into an aerial.
- You can shield cancel the landing if you hold shield as you land. Just hold shield while you're landing. Too good.

If you factor in the aerial attacks' damage, the hops are basically worth 25-35 damage.

And then I think I mentioned the "perfect" combo where you go from an ASC combo, land, and do a full spindash combo as you land.

ASC [hit 1]> ASC [hit 2]> (land on/in front of opponent) SD [hit] > SDJ [hit] > aerial

and that combo is worth at least 40 damage, provided that you can get the spindash when you land, and hit the spindash jump and combo it into the aerial >_>

...yeah.

Umby

Smash Master
****, can't tell if this was mentioned before (yes, I am lazy but ****it I don't care) but charging Down B in the air, releasing it in the air, and holding shield will cancel it out when you hit the ground. You even get a little sliding motion. Doesn't seem to work for side b.

edit: seems to work from any height so long as the spin charge is still active.

No seriously, I'm extremely lazy.

edit2: **** you for posting about it before I did.

aaaaaaaaaaaa

edit3: Tenki is II gud. :(

ShadowLink84

Smash Hero
I tried it with Luigi and Mario's fireballs, and you're right about the fireball being destroyed by the hop. It's weird. Maybe it's the fireballs as a projectile, since you can basically "damage" them to get rid of them. You know, since Side-B does damage and all.

But I don't see any reason as to why Sonic can pass through things like Samus's full-charged shot without stopping it (he literally goes through it), or why he can do the hop through Eruption, D3 F-smash, Wolf lasers without them clanking or being destroyed, without taking damage. Maybe the said projectiles have more 'projectile hp', if such a thing exists. But this isn't Little Fighter, so I can't say for sure x.x;

Maybe he has both invincibility and high priority during those frames. I have stopped Metaknight's ground Tornado with this >_>

But either way, there's nothing that I've seen aside from stage obstacles that can hurt Sonic during this hop. Can't get hurt? That's invincibility, isn't it?
No invincibility would mean that the stage obstacles wouldn't hurt him either and they do.
I think its just really high priority as well as how the projectiles behave over all.

I think if it does have invincibiltiy frames the spindash shouldn't be interrupted by anything during the hop.
Most likely its just as you said concerning the hitbox placement.
probably it has invincibility AND high priority in different parts of the dash since I've been interupted by Wolf's laser during the hop and have also gone through it easily.
They really should have just made sonic invincibile during the entire hop. He'd **** campers so hard.

Tenki

Smash Hero
No invincibility would mean that the stage obstacles wouldn't hurt him either and they do.
I think its just really high priority as well as how the projectiles behave over all.

I think if it does have invincibiltiy frames the spindash shouldn't be interrupted by anything during the hop.
Most likely its just as you said concerning the hitbox placement.
probably it has invincibility AND high priority in different parts of the dash since I've been interupted by Wolf's laser during the hop and have also gone through it easily.
They really should have just made sonic invincibile during the entire hop. He'd **** campers so hard.
In that case, Up-B isn't invincibility either. Use up-B going into a stage hazard (DK level, for example), and you'll get hit. Considering how TL goes through him, it's actually more of dodge frames, if anything.

I think his Side-B could be dodge frames+attack hitbox with high priority.

Also, the invincibility/priority frames last about as long as Eruption's Super Armor Frames, and that's not a long time, so don't overestimate its length and confuse the "power" frames with the normal frames.

Well, I'm gonna stop arguing about it. As long as you can't get hurt during the beginning, it doesn't really matter. Invincibility, dodge, or high priority, or even all of the above, it's all used the same way, and lasts for the same length.

Browny

Smash Hater
sonic has an infinite stall on floating stages

his shoes make an infinite symbol when he runs

how much more do you want :/

TwinkleToes

Smash Lord
Well he can infinite jab-lock people and if they're against a wall I think it becomes a true infinite.

Anyways, I'll look more into that Tenki. Thanks for posting it up.

Tenki

Smash Hero
@ edgehogging, and also, more on side-B

I still need help doing the instant edgehog with Sonic. Everytime I run off the stage he ends up going too far to grab the edge.
Are you quickly inputting fast-falling+pressing toward edge?

It's really a matter of timing, other than those two (important) parts of it.

Try doing it earlier, and if you can't do it from a full dash, try it from an initial dash/walk (do a half circle forward-back when you're standing at the edge)

Side B
I wanted to correct what I said earlier about side-B and stage hazards.
Sonic can go through things like Onett cars and Bomb blocks in Dreamland. He can't go through the stage hazards in DK's platform hell level. Pretty much, anything you can dodge through, he can use his 'power' frames to go through unharmed.

InterimOfZeal

Smash Champion
Ohsnap. People found out about vB being able to kill? Wtf? I was gonna have that as a surprise in mah guide. D: D: D:

Oh well, congrats on you guys being tight and ruining every present I've ever made for you. D:<

thumbswayup

Smash Master
On the first day I used Sonic I spin dashed (pretty sure it was down b) into my friend's MK, hit him twice with my spin, and then u aired him. This was at the very beginning of the match so it was from 0-25% off one attack. It's just a little tricky to pull off.

TwinkleToes

Smash Lord
Is it actually practical to use this against an opponent not in hit-stun? I'm thinking it will have the same priority/range issues that the normal spin dashes have.

Tenki

Smash Hero
^No idea if you meant ASC or the side-B stuff.
I would post videos but uh... well, you don't see any videos on youtube of Tenki(Sonic) vs ____ do you x.x;
My laptop with webcam is unable to go online and honestly, I've never recorded video with it either so I don't know much about that stuff. Otherwise I would have made demonstrational videos for the Finishing Moves thread xD

Either way, the ASC is simple to do, just down-B and release in midair, hold forward on your opponent, and tada, 2 hit combo, and follow it up with an aerial if you want =|

Side-B stuff can be tested in 1/4 speed in training mode =/

Is it actually practical to use this against an opponent not in hit-stun? I'm thinking it will have the same priority/range issues that the normal spin dashes have.
The ASC? Kinda. You can do the simple combo (the 25-30%) ones against aerial opponents. Only the "perfect combo" (ASC ASC SD SDJ Aerial) needs a grounded opponent, but IMO the "perfect combo" is too difficult/hard to place to try to do intentionally in real games x.x;

The thing about ASC is that, like SDJ, it moves faster through the air than your normal aerial speed, if you hold forward. You can also RAR it to bait / boomerang into someone.

Acronyms:
ASC = aerial spin charge (air vB)
SD = spindash (ground roll)
SDJ = spindash jump

Deathwish238

Smash Apprentice
woah i found something a lil weird in this match idk exactly what it is but i think its when sonic comes out of his spin dash and does his uair and the first kick or maybe the spindash launches marth in the weirdest angle SUPER FAST its soo weird. is this the uair spike people talk about or what?

in the second part his spin dash apparently hits marth really hard and almost kills him.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=sn8mnBPAOrw&feature=related

0:39 - 0:40 around there its not THAT big of a deal but it is a little bit weird.

2:36 - 2:37 his right B spin dash knocks marth incredibly far is that when its suppose to be "invincible" or is it because its in the air...never seen that happen.
AHA! i knew i had found something weird when posted this but nobody agreed v_v lol. watch that video around 2:36-2:37 im pretty sure thats what tenki is talking about. Sonic hits marth extremely hard for a spindash and you can tell its a vB since it doesn't hop.

Sonic Orochi

Smash Ace
AHA! i knew i had found something weird when posted this but nobody agreed v_v lol. watch that video around 2:36-2:37 im pretty sure thats what tenki is talking about. Sonic hits marth extremely hard for a spindash and you can tell its a vB since it doesn't hop.
Yes, that's the Forward ASC. :)

Deathwish238

Smash Apprentice
lol yes i knew i saw something funny; thats awesome. its a little bit on the slow side tho but i guess people won't be expecting it and it can have its uses/set ups. like tenki said with his combos (which i got a bit confused on but w/e lol)

Sonic Orochi

Smash Ace
SH -> FASC.

Add that to Sonic's running speed. It's not that slow at all. And I believe it will make an excelent edge-guarding tool, as you can chain it with a Fair. Hell, you can even follow it up with a Homing Attack! :DDD

However, I am testing this on Training mode, so I'm not taking DI into account =P

Top Bottom