• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Sonic Glitch/Tech/Non-obvious move list & Gimp Guide *updated 2/16*

Sp3ed0fSoUnD

Smash Cadet
Hey guys, hope this question isn't getting annoying if its bein asked too much or something, just wanted to ask either TwinkleToes, or any other Sonic player. Can you explain the infinite jump thing to me alittle more cause I don't quite understand how to do it. My Sonic is at a high level and this might be the thing to better him even more.

Sorry for bugging you guys.

Tenki

Smash Hero
Hey guys, hope this question isn't getting annoying if its bein asked too much or something, just wanted to ask either TwinkleToes, or any other Sonic player. Can you explain the infinite jump thing to me alittle more cause I don't quite understand how to do it. My Sonic is at a high level and this might be the thing to better him even more.

Sorry for bugging you guys.
You know about jump cancelling Side/Down-B's?

basically, you just chain a bunch of those together, starting a side/down-B charge on your way down after each one. At the end of it all, you'll look like you're bouncing in highlighted ball form.

Like I said before, it's not an infinite jump like one Bowser has

Shadow5YA

Smash Cadet
Why would that be? Do you have an actual explanation or are you talking out of your as$ here?
It was the latter when I posted that message. Since I've heard the custom stages are glitchier than the regular ones, I assumed it was because of that. But you know what happens when you assume...

Anyway, I've been able to test out the teleporting, and everyone probably already knows it can be done on Pictochat as well as Hanenbow. Everytime Sonic was teleporting, he hit something (the opponent) during an skyroll/airdash. The teleporting never happened when it was just a regular sideb slope-cancel.

Anyway, I have a question about spinshotting. Is the spindash tail aura supposed to be present? When I try it, Sonic does jump off at a much lower angle, but there's no spindash aura.

Tenki

Smash Hero
There's no glow or attack aura, just faster, lower aerial movement.

TwinkleToes

Smash Lord
Sp3ed0fSoUnD, basically, to get a step by step understanding of it:
Step 1) Use your side-b, and jump cancel it.
Step 2) Do step 1, and after you land on the ground, repeat that process.
Step 3) Do step 2, but initiate your side-b right before you land on the ground and as you land on the ground jump cancel.

The effect of infinite jumping is essentially that you can eliminate landing lag (although Sonic's is minimal anyways so it's not so critical). Also, for Sonic the jump retains it's side-b jump cancel properties meaning you can use it as an attack or aerial out of it.

Tenki, Bowser's is the exact same thing as far as the jumping goes.

Shadow, what part of Hanenbow does air-dashing work on?

Tenki

Smash Hero
Tenki, Bowser's is the exact same thing as far as the jumping goes.

Not really, Bowser's is an infinite double jump. Sonic's is treated like a single jump, since you can still dj out of it.

I think the airdash works on Hanenbow if the platforms are hit to the correct angles.

==================

I'm wondering if anyone worked on/noticed:

- F-tilt's downward trajectory/"spike"(?) coming from first hit
- U-smash tends to lose people/send them flying too early if the "initial jump" part of it hits people (that's why the usmash spike works).
- F-air's downward trajectory/"spike"

For f-tilt, I think it works if they're above you, as though you were doing a backwards f-tilt. I'll have to double check this later.

U-smash: just something I wanted to note, since I hate it when I try to u-smash people for damage and they go flying too early.

Still not sure why/when F-air hits people downwards. Again, every time I've done it, it's above ground- I haven't scored any kills with it yet, but I know it's there, since they get launched downwards/diagonal and bounce off the level.

Sp3ed0fSoUnD

Smash Cadet
Step 1) Use your side-b, and jump cancel it.
Step 2) Do step 1, and after you land on the ground, repeat that process.
Step 3) Do step 2, but initiate your side-b right before you land on the ground and as you land on the ground jump cancel.

The effect of infinite jumping is essentially that you can eliminate landing lag (although Sonic's is minimal anyways so it's not so critical). Also, for Sonic the jump retains it's side-b jump cancel properties meaning you can use it as an attack or aerial out of it
Ooohh ok, got it TwinkleToes, thanks a lot =)

Shadow5YA

Smash Cadet

The leaf on the bottom-left that's sticking out of the "water." The slope is high enough to cancel the initial sideb hop. It should sent you straight across the bottom pairs of leaves on the right tree.

TwinkleToes

Smash Lord
Tenki, oh I thought Bowser retained his mid-air jump... well in that case Sonic's is just better right?
And I've been able to get low sends with both fair and ftilt but never a true "spike." I'm fairly sure the fair is not actually capable of spiking someone, but maybe the ftilt is; I've never tried it on someone that was in the air.

FrostByte

Smash Lord
- F-tilt's downward trajectory/"spike"(?) coming from first hit
DI

- U-smash tends to lose people/send them flying too early if the "initial jump" part of it hits people (that's why the usmash spike works).
Depends on where the opponent is when you start the upsmash and their DI. If they are above you when it starts, they have a better chance of escaping.

- F-air's downward trajectory/"spike"
DI again.

Tenki

Smash Hero
DI

Depends on where the opponent is when you start the upsmash and their DI. If they are above you when it starts, they have a better chance of escaping.

DI again.
F tilt's first hit was made to combo into its 2nd one, but if you face it backwards, it looks like it hits people downwards/back. I've done it pretty often.

..try comparing a Usmash where you do a hyphen smash and hit them in the middle of it, and a Usmash where you get them at the very beginning of the move. You will most likely lose them early with the 2nd case.

For the f-air, that's the only one I believe might be DI-influenced of the three.

Browny

Smash Hater
ftilt tipper definitely has the spike characteristics, it kicks them into the ground , or below the stage if use at the edge. i tested it quite a bit :/

TwinkleToes

Smash Lord
I'm about half-way through the Ike entry for the gimp guide. Should be done pretty soon, so what do people want me to cover next?

TwinkleToes

Smash Lord
Good cuz I've been working on gimping him and found some promising answers; so, I hope I can be some help pretty soon here.

Deathwish238

Smash Apprentice
woah i found something a lil weird in this match idk exactly what it is but i think its when sonic comes out of his spin dash and does his uair and the first kick or maybe the spindash launches marth in the weirdest angle SUPER FAST its soo weird. is this the uair spike people talk about or what?

in the second part his spin dash apparently hits marth really hard and almost kills him.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=sn8mnBPAOrw&feature=related

0:39 - 0:40 around there its not THAT big of a deal but it is a little bit weird.

2:36 - 2:37 his right B spin dash knocks marth incredibly far is that when its suppose to be "invincible" or is it because its in the air...never seen that happen.

TwinkleToes

Smash Lord
The uair didn't actually hit, it looks more like the spin dash was what knocked Marth.

Tenki

Smash Hero
It was spindash jump, pretty sure of it. SDJ has some knockback (kinda like a mini Ganondorf Jab), and in the video, he hit Marth's right side on his way up.

Sonic didn't freezeframe on the u-air (looks like it missed altogether) so I'm pretty sure it was the SDJ that did it.

TwinkleToes

Smash Lord
Tenki, I finished Ike but I'm going to add a new gimp (double bair) to the list before I move on to Snake. Shouldn't take me too long to get it taken care of, but if you need something quick to hold you over:

In general Snake cannot be gimped at low percents since he can immediately use his up-b to get out of range of everything except your uair, and even if you were to intercept him with something like a fair he'd be certain to get above you with the second up-b and at that point all you can do is go for a juggle. However, at mid and higher percents (like around 50%) Snake starts becoming very gimpable. It requires practice, but through a combination of knocking him back with bairs and homing-attacks you can rack up enough damage to the point where either a bair or homing attack will knock him too far back for his up-b to get him back to the stage. Fair can also be used but I prefer bair because of its superior damage and knock-back both of which help a lot in dealing with Snake's weight. Almost every other gimp method Sonic has is useless against Snake, which is probably why so many people struggle with keeping him off the edge.

Tenki

Smash Hero
btw just in case you didn't know, n-air knocks snake off Cypher as well as most ground moves and b-air.

FrostByte

Smash Lord
ftilt tipper definitely has the spike characteristics, it kicks them into the ground , or below the stage if use at the edge. i tested it quite a bit :/
The only time when Ftilt or fair does the "spike" for me is when my opponent is crouching, or smash DIs into the ground when they are in the air.

thecatinthehat

Smash Master
Hey Twink, anychance of a ditto gimp guide coming? I suck at dittos with Sonic, and I need all the help I can get.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
if i could make a suggestion, maybe it would be to the thread's benefit if, at the end of each char's gimp guide, you just sum up quickly, what to use and what not to use against them

TwinkleToes

Smash Lord
Tenki, that's true, but so can any of his aerial attacks provided they hit his arms. What I was more concerned about was getting hit by the cypher. There are ways of gimping Snake that can avoid you taking an extra 6% damage. And every little bit helps. Plus, the weak knock-back of nair essentially means you'll just be damaging Snake and not putting him at any real risk of dying.

djbrowny, you might be right about Sonic but I'm fairly sure there are ways of gimping MK. Most of it revolves around staying on the edge and f-smashing him as he fails to sweet-spot. But I'll get around to that later.

hat-donning-cat, I'll get to the Sonic dittos a bit later... If there's one thing I don't think we need it's information out there telling people how to beat Sonic. It's a paradox I know. Also, to me a good gimp ends in a kill, but realistically you're going to have a lot of failed gimp attempts that only result in damaging people-- so try not to think of it as a "kill guide." Netting yourself a kill is just the ideal outcome.

dakid, I think I'll do that. It makes a lot of sense and can give people a general idea of how the gimps should come together.

Tenki

Smash Hero
Oh, I was thinking of N-air as in... "detonating" it in him when he's in a weird position. Like... coming up from under level (go a little under him then double jump n-air), or as a quicker alternative to B-air when you're facing the wrong way and still want to play the 'recovery' game. If I had to do it coming from above, I'd rather just use d-air sweetspot, since the knockback / downward motion is probably more worth it.

A sweetspot n-air kills off the edge of Final Destination (like.. someone jumping on the edge, not off stage) at around 140% for middleweights, so off stage, you could pull it off earlier.

It's got the 2nd best knockback of all his aerial moves, only trumped by b-air :x

TwinkleToes

Smash Lord
Really? I thought fair was better in terms of knock-back, but I guess I was mistaken about that.

Sonic Orochi

Smash Ace
Hey, just a random question and a reminder:

Question: what happened to that "increase the Dsmash range" thing?

Reminder: not really useful, but who knows... Yellow Sonic has some weird shadows when in ball form. Go to WiFi waiting room and jump. Look at his shadow. The other colors don't seem to be affected like this at all.

Tenki

Smash Hero
oh btw with the Dsmash, I noticed that using it on the edge doesn't hit people hanging on it.

But if you turn around and do it, it works when he hits it on his way back (2nd hit)

trivial info ftw

TwinkleToes

Smash Lord
Orochi, pretty sure Zeal was just being dumb trying to get people's hopes up. There was a way to do it that I found but it was stage specific.

Browny

Smash Hater
sonics fsmash hits people hanging on the ledge... i did it to my brother hes like WTF.
you just gotta angle it down :>

thecatinthehat

Smash Master
hat-donning-cat, I'll get to the Sonic dittos a bit later... If there's one thing I don't think we need it's information out there telling people how to beat Sonic. It's a paradox I know. Also, to me a good gimp ends in a kill, but realistically you're going to have a lot of failed gimp attempts that only result in damaging people-- so try not to think of it as a "kill guide." Netting yourself a kill is just the ideal outcome.
Ah, OK, I see.
Tnx for the Fox guide btw. Helped alot.

Top Bottom