• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Sonic Glitch/Tech/Non-obvious move list & Gimp Guide *updated 2/16*

Chis

Finally a legend
NNID
ArcadianPirate
Sonic's whole body doesn't have a hixbox. It's just the whole of Sonic's foot (tip to heel) ad the sour spot.

infomon

Smash Scientist
Kinetik: I actually..... didn't know that about the Spring. At least, not consciously. I might have had the correct intuition for it in-game..... but I don't know. So um, thanks!

Kinetik07

Smash Cadet
NNID
kinetik07
3DS FC
2724-0970-1098
Your welcome. Just don't forget to footstool in case they try to edgehog you and make sure you never use it if you have a double jump because it's practically a free hit for the enemy.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
Sonic's whole body doesn't have a hixbox. It's just the whole of Sonic's foot (tip to heel) ad the sour spot.
did you watch the vid?

theres no way the back air would have hit in the front of sonic if the whole body didnt have a hit box.

infomon

Smash Scientist
I'm convinced that at the very least, both of Sonic's feet have a hitbox.
Which basically means the whole body, lol.

Last night I pulled this off (while recovering): Spring > Dair > footstool > recover while opponent (Marth) is totally gimped from the footstool :laugh:

Browny

Smash Hater
most of sonics body is a hit box in the bair. I have no trouble deliberately landing the reverse knockback part of bair when i want to (example, rob is standing near the ledge, i spinshot towards him and bair so he gets sent in the other direction and gets KO'd) and thats not the weak knockback part of the attack. I think ill try get some images and highlight over them the hitboxes, i was gonna do i anyway. originally tried it with lucario but its so difficult when the hitbox follows him as he moves lol

TwinkleToes

Smash Lord
I actually updated the OP for a change lol. I might add in ledge shooting if I can convince myself it's not just a glorified aspect of the physics engine.

TwinkleToes

Smash Lord
That's not really Sonic specific either :x

Nor is it something he can use against the whole cast.

Kalm

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Unibias
3DS FC
1650-2449-3447
Just found out something new and kind of neat. Sonic's Dsmash, when used at the ledge, consistently pushes him back after the move finishes. This is kind of neat, but might not lead to anything real tricky. Even so, it's nice to know and one day you might could trick your opponent into wiffing an attack. On top of that the charge looks like you're charging a Spin Dash.

Also, nobody else does this with a Dsmash from what I can see, and it works on every stage so far that I've tried it on.

infomon

Smash Scientist
Yeah, it's pretty neat, I've been able to get ppl with it before... like the Dsmash extends away from the edge.

It's pretty well-known here, but not very exceptional. It might be in JayBee/Kojin's Sonic Tech Lab thread.

Chis

Finally a legend
NNID
ArcadianPirate
Doesn't Sonic's Fsmash out range Marth's Fsmash. There was this video of it a while back. Plus I think I just did it in a match.

infomon

Smash Scientist
I think it outranges if you stutter-step it... but that's not a "true" outranging, so I dunno.
I think it's difficult to compare just the range in a real battle, since the noticeable thing is that Sonic pulls back more during the "charging" state, so Sonic can use it to dodge Marth's Fsmash, and then retaliate with a hit. But if the Sonic was just standing there, Marth's Fsmash may have connected as well.

If that makes sense..... iunno.

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
Just found out something new and kind of neat. Sonic's Dsmash, when used at the ledge, consistently pushes him back after the move finishes. This is kind of neat, but might not lead to anything real tricky. Even so, it's nice to know and one day you might could trick your opponent into wiffing an attack. On top of that the charge looks like you're charging a Spin Dash.

Also, nobody else does this with a Dsmash from what I can see, and it works on every stage so far that I've tried it on.
This was Izzy's big discovery on extending the range of Dsmash :p

:093:

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
Oh shi- that's what I meant to type D:

After seeing infzy's post, the name just stuck. They both sound/look very similar.

Kalm

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Unibias
3DS FC
1650-2449-3447
How does it extend the range of it? It looks to me like it attacks normally, but moves Sonic back when it's done?

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
if sonic is at the edge and down smashes he rolls along the ground, and if he is rolling along the ground he cant go any farther if there is no ground. so he rolls forward although he is stuck in place, and so after the first part of the down smash he returns to the starting position but since hes been moving forward technically even though he hasnt moved from that spot, he has to move back ward the same amount. but since there is land behind him, he is free to move backwards the same amount that he was supposed to move forward in the first part, and from there, he continues to move backwards into the second part of the down smash

this is very poorly written, the concept is easy to understand but hard to put into words

Kinetik07

Smash Cadet
NNID
kinetik07
3DS FC
2724-0970-1098
Let me try.

Since Sonic's starting point is at the very edge, when he tries to move past it, he stays in place. To compensate for his animation, his starting point is instead moved forward and away from the edge. Simple.

EDIT: Pie > 10cakes.

The_Dyne

Smash Journeyman
While I was doing boss battles, I got this weird glitch. When I did a HA during the Porky fight, the animation was replaced with the SD aura. It functioned as normal though. I don't know how in the world it happened...

TwinkleToes

Smash Lord
While I was doing boss battles, I got this weird glitch. When I did a HA during the Porky fight, the animation was replaced with the SD aura. It functioned as normal though. I don't know how in the world it happened...
I'm inclined to ignore you completely since you said "boss battles."

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
I don't thinks there's really much of a difference between the SD aura and the HA aura...is there?
It's all just blue to me.

lol, Toes has a silly sig.

Kinetik07

Smash Cadet
NNID
kinetik07
3DS FC
2724-0970-1098
Don't know if this counts, but I found out you can basically do a bair on the ground if your on the ledge. It doesn't matter if you face towards or away from the stage, you just have to run off it and c-stick towards the stage almost simultaneously, obviously you wanna run off first.

However, that wasn't the non-obvious part. I also found out that as soon as you do the trick I mentioned you can immediately press back towards the stage and you'll cancel the bair. You'll know if it works because you'll see the landing lag of the bair, end up about a foot from the ledge, and will be facing away from the stage. Unfortunately, I haven't gotten it to hit, I just wanted to let you guys know, maybe you can do something useful with it.

TwinkleToes

Smash Lord
Wait... so what exactly cancels the bair? And I'm assuming it cancels it after the hitbox comes out.

TwinkleToes

Smash Lord
Yeh, I was gonna mention that but I want to hear what he has to say first. Really, what gets you is the start-up lag.

infomon

Smash Scientist
I think the think is that he's landing on the ground instead of falling off with the Bair? So the opponent may not be sure if you'll actually drop down to attack or not?

Kinetik07

Smash Cadet
NNID
kinetik07
3DS FC
2724-0970-1098
Ah sorry, I just realized that you have to be facing in towards the stage for the bair cancelling to work. What cancels the bair is the ground as soon as you touch it. Basically the input is: face towards the stage on an edge, press back to run off, c-stick towards the stage(bair), then press foward back onto the stage. It's not hard, but you do have to press the buttons almost simultaneously, but in that order. I'd show a video of it if anyone's willing to share wii codes.

infomon

Smash Scientist
Oh, that sounds cool. Lemme test it out tmrw, it'd be easier than the wii-code shinnanigans. I get what you're doing tho; it's like sending out an unexpected edgeguarding hitbox. Cool.

TwinkleToes

Smash Lord
It sounds a bit like another tech that gives you back your second jump when you aerial past a ledge. Is the timing anything similar to that?

Kinetik07

Smash Cadet
NNID
kinetik07
3DS FC
2724-0970-1098
Not at all, it's very easy and there's no jumping invovled. I mean it's fast enough that you'll be doing it blindly, but as long as you know the input, you'll be fine. Don't get your hopes up though, it's probably going to turn out as another useless move, but it does feel somewhat satisfying to pull off, idk why.

I'd also like to mention that you can do this on a tread mill too
PROS:
you can rapid fire it
I think it has a hitbox(don't remember anymore) at least it looks like it does

CONS:
harder to do
very situational

What you do is face towards the edge of where the tread mill's moving you and instead of running off, wait for it to lead off the edge and as soon as you go off start pressing the c-stick(or back A) rapidly back on to the stage. Timing is important because if you press it too early, you'll f smash and if you press it too late, you'll miss the cancel and fall down. Rhythm is important too, if you press it too rapidly, the next bair might not register. I knew about this a long time ago and the most I've gotten is 4-5 bairs in a row.

I mention this because the same physics apply to the single bair one. For some reason, bair has a little bit of forward momentum that pushes Sonic back onto the stage

Browny

Smash Hater
So like... Dairs as a stagespike tool should totally be added in the gimp guide (as per my sig)

I go for it pretty much every single time a tether recovery goes for the ledge. In case yous dont know, tether recoveries invincibility frames dont activate until they have pulled the tether in all the way so if you can predict when they will tether to within at least half a second you should be able to dair such that the reverse hitbox will hit them and stagespike. Its pretty situational but I think in a risk vs reward scenario it works really well. Just be sure to dair off a full hop (unlike my sig lol... that was dumb) and you can easily jump cancel + sping back up to safety and the invincibilty frames should save you from any attemped ledgehop spikes (olimar, for example)

Springs also obviously work well but they can be a bit slow and if the tether recovers from a near horizontal angle it wont hit anyway

TwinkleToes

Smash Lord
So like... Dairs as a stagespike tool should totally be added in the gimp guide (as per my sig)

I go for it pretty much every single time a tether recovery goes for the ledge. In case yous dont know, tether recoveries invincibility frames dont activate until they have pulled the tether in all the way so if you can predict when they will tether to within at least half a second you should be able to dair such that the reverse hitbox will hit them and stagespike. Its pretty situational but I think in a risk vs reward scenario it works really well. Just be sure to dair off a full hop (unlike my sig lol... that was dumb) and you can easily jump cancel + sping back up to safety and the invincibilty frames should save you from any attemped ledgehop spikes (olimar, for example)

Springs also obviously work well but they can be a bit slow and if the tether recovers from a near horizontal angle it wont hit anyway
I see you have decided to force me to exhibit my photoshop skillz for you... very well... BEHOLD!

Browny

Smash Hater
Thats nice. pity it has nothing to do with stage spiking. In fact if you want to have a better chance of landing the stagespike, you should actually dair with sonic facing towards the stage, just dont do it on final destination or lylat cruise

Top Bottom