• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Solid Snake for Smash DLC thread! Such a lust for Smash news....WHOOOOOOOO?

MySmashmains6

Smash Cadet
NNID
ssb4sonicrules
What do you mean by that?

'Merica! (Sorry I couldn't resist.)
In a lot of forums I've come across I see people twisting Sakurai's words to fit their opinion. Not just Sakurai either, they twist other peoples words. Kojima, for example.

Ekans647

Smash Lord
NNID
Ekans647
3DS FC
2019-9808-9029
In a lot of forums I've come across I see people twisting Sakurai's words to fit their opinion. Not just Sakurai either, they twist other peoples words. Kojima, for example.
I get it now. It's like when some agrees wholeheartedly with an essay or documentary if it agrees and supports their opinions.

Last edited:

BlueSorrow

Smash Apprentice
I'm glad that there's more of a discussion here about snakes inclusion compared to other sites. Bringing up snake usually just results in "He's Cut" and not much else.
But they right, Snake is cut! Let's look at the signs:
Do you have a source for this? The only comments I could find on the issue were positive.

http://www.nintendo.co.uk/Iwata-Ask...Snake-and-Sonic/2-Snake-and-Sonic-226172.html

http://ca.ign.com/articles/2012/08/07/masahiro-sakurai-talks-super-smash-bros-4

Sakurai was perfectly happy with the inclusion of Snake and Sonic, Nintendo trusted Sakurai's judgement, and the fans (for the most part) enjoyed seeing them in the game. I linked the articles that I got these quotes from, in case I missed something relevant, but with Kojima clearly having no problem with Snake returning, it seems to me like the only unknown factor here is Konami, and I seriously can't see them turning it down, given how big of an advertising opportunity it is.
You hear that? Sakurai was actually positive about having Snake around and even Kojima express interest in having Snake show up again but he express doubt about it happening after Snake didn't show up last time as they both "hate" having Snake in the Super Smash Bros series. Both sides Kojima (Konami) and Sakurai (Nintendo) are against Snake? No chance.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X7Y9ZDPrtbM
Nope. :c
I mean seriously he didn't even include Sonic the Hedgehog, a popular requested character in Brawl.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2JGU9LuicfY
Nuh-uh :(
Seriously it's like Sakurai has some sort of vendetta against Third-Party characters, maybe it's because their fanbase overshadows Kirby's fanbase so Kirby and the other Nintendo characters won't receive more exposure to people and gain new fans.
He didn't even include Mega Man another popular Third-Party character.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aX2KNyaoNV4
I guess Capcom wouldn't allow it as they don't care about him anymore. :sadeyes:
I really doubt Snake would show up after all if Sakurai was actually true to his claim regarding Sonic we would have
seen him by now.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T7w5XUPHFoY
It seems he couldn't keep up. :crying:
Nintendo may be publishing the game but Sakurai is the director of Super Smash Bros as in he makes the final decisions of the game's content. If he actually made some "questionable" decisions such as putting Snake in the series who supposedly "feels like a Sony character" and not a gaming icon like Mario, Sonic, Mega Man, and Pac-Man are then no doubt Nintendo would fire him and/or replace him as they would be against it. If Snake still hadn't been included then it obviously shows that Snake is not making it in after all I hadn't seen Captain Falcon or Mewtwo or Ridley or King K Rool or Bandana Dee or Palutena or any popular character that is a big deal. Looks like this time the new installment of Super Smash Bros will only have 27 characters since Sakurai always reveal all playable characters on the roster before the game's release. Also, everyone knows Kojima and Sakurai are Trolling Brothers therefore we must take everything they say seriously. We all must brace ourselves for the inevitable disappointment the game's release will bring. :cry:
If it's not clear my response is sarcasm as I am truly utterly disappointed that Snake is forever cursed as the "Unlikely Phantom" seen by many for whatever bankrupt beliefs they have. :facepalm:

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
If it's not clear my response is sarcasm as I am truly utterly disappointed that Snake is forever cursed as the "Unlikely Phantom" seen by many for whatever bankrupt beliefs they have. :facepalm:
The people who think he's unlikely are in for a Phantom Pain alright. Couldn't resist.

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
Marshal really will be a surprise character... When he isn't in the game and people realize Sal Romano is full of ****.

Sorry for that, getting rather annoyed at people treating that like an actual thing because of a fake leak. So uh, think it's time for Snake's Revenge?

Jawmuncher

Smash Journeyman
Marshal really will be a surprise character... When he isn't in the game and people realize Sal Romano is full of ****.

Sorry for that, getting rather annoyed at people treating that like an actual thing because of a fake leak. So uh, think it's time for Snake's Revenge?
Yeah It does seem people are taking that leak far more seriously than they should. On gamefaqs that leak is considered all but confirmed over there. But as for Snakes Revenge would be an interesting Alt Outfit.

Zyfoe

Smash Apprentice

This is old (back from when the Wii U was first released) and is a mock up menu (according to Nintendo). However, I haven't really seen this discussed among us Snake fans. I just wonder what exactly could this mean. Is it a new Metal Gear game? Is it for Snake Eater 3D? Or is it just a mock up like Nintendo said?

Also, I posted this in the Snake thread instead of the Rumors and Leaks thread because I think this is more relevant to Snake than Smash Bros as a whole (plus I don't like the Rumors and Leaks thread in some ways).

Jawmuncher

Smash Journeyman

This is old (back from when the Wii U was first released) and is a mock up menu (according to Nintendo). However, I haven't really seen this discussed among us Snake fans. I just wonder what exactly could this mean. Is it a new Metal Gear game? Is it for Snake Eater 3D? Or is it just a mock up like Nintendo said?

Also, I posted this in the Snake thread instead of the Rumors and Leaks thread because I think this is more relevant to Snake than Smash Bros as a whole (plus I don't like the Rumors and Leaks thread in some ways).
Were all still at a loss of what that could relate to. For example A lot of the stuff there was revealed later. Though something like FF3 had been out for ages. Our best bet is either it really was just a mock up or that it's perhaps related to why we haven't seen snake yet. Wouldn't surprise me if we got some sort of MGS port on WiiU which would accompany Snakes reveal.

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
Writing Team
NNID
trpdm.wilton
I'll show my support. I have never played metal gear before nor had I even heard of it before Smash but I think Snake was a good inclusion. I also want to his codecs back along with the greatest Kirby Hat of them all.

Staarih

Smash Master
I haven't posted here much, but I truly wish Snake does return. I really hate the fact that he hasn't been confirmed yet, especially when his 3rd party Brawl buddy Sonic was revealed, like, ages ago. The Smash Direct would have been perfect for Snake, but no can do. I just hope he will be shown at E3... if not, then I don't know what to think. I guess there would STILL be a chance of him being in, but a character like Snake should definitely have a nice reveal before the games release, like Sonic did. Here's hoping we see him soon...

greenluigiman2

Smash Ace

I can't wait to see how Sakurai implements a rhythm based character. Will be fun.

Overtaken

Smash Journeyman
1. Of course Kojima said Snake wasn't in Smash4 to his awareness, you think he's going to go blurting out about it if he did know that Snake was in, before Sakurai wants to formally reveal him?

2. His moves haven't been 'cannibalized', that's a ridiculous point. Visually and functionally, homerun bat = Ness' bat. Ray gun = spacey blasters. Fire flower = Charizard/Bowser fire-spin. Ice block = IC's neutral special. Super scope = any number of 'charge-up energy ball' attacks. Anyone ever pick up a screw attack while using Samus?? Quite silly feeling, isn't it? Between the remote sensor bomb and sticky bomb, I think Snake's move-set was cannibalized upon arrival in Brawl. Also implying his moves couldn't change at all.

3. All of this talk about what Nintendo wants and 'Snake doesn't fit in'. Snake fits in just fine or he wouldn't have been in brawl. Nintendo is fine with him being in Smash, or he wouldn't have been in Brawl. He was a very well received character by the fans, so this line of reasoning isn't salient as I see it.

4. The only soluble points against him as I see it, are indeed that Sakurai wants to minimize 3rd party characters, and may have already made arrangements with Namco to include one of their characters. Even still, it's the difference between 3 or 4. Also, roster constraints could see Snake gone over priority issues with who must be cut. None of this is damning, he still stands a chance. A 'solid' chance, I might even say.

Last edited:

Morbi

Scavenger
1. Of course Kojima said Snake wasn't in Smash4 to his awareness, you think he's going to go blurting out about it if he did know that Snake was in, before Sakurai wants to formally reveal him?

2. His moves haven't been 'cannibalized', that's a ridiculous point. Visually and functionally, homerun bat = Ness' bat. Ray gun = spacey blasters. Fire flower = Charizard/Bowser fire-spin. Ice block = IC's neutral special. Super scope = any number of 'charge-up energy ball' attacks. Anyone ever pick up a screw attack while using Samus?? Quite silly feeling, isn't it? Between the remote sensor bomb and sticky bomb, I think Snake's move-set was cannibalized upon arrival in Brawl. Also implying his moves couldn't change at all.

3. All of this talk about what Nintendo wants and 'Snake doesn't fit in'. Snake fits in just fine or he wouldn't have been in brawl. Nintendo is fine with him being in Smash, or he wouldn't have been in Brawl. He was a very well received character by the fans, so this line of reasoning isn't salient as I see it.

4. The only soluble points against him as I see it, are indeed that Sakurai wants to minimize 3rd party characters, and may have already made arrangements with Namco to include one of their characters. Even still, it's the difference between 3 or 4. Also, roster constraints could see Snake gone over priority issues with who must be cut. None of this is damning, he still stands a chance. A 'solid' chance, I might even say.
1. There is an overt difference between avoiding a question (and its implications) and blatantly answering untruthfully. I honestly can't disregard his literal objective statement; that is fallacious. There are tactics that notable developers use the majority of the time; answering dishonestly and pretending that you are blissfully unaware isn't an effective strategy used by a competent person.

3. That is; again, fallacious reasoning. There is a difference between causation and correlation; I am not going to argue any further, this is typically the evidence that Snake supporters desperately state time and time again. Nothing will convince you otherwise.

4. Of course he has a chance; almost every single plausible Nintendo character has a chance. That is hardly relevant. The most "damnable" evidence against him? The assertion made by Kojima.

One must consider Sakurai's intent, this is quite obviously, impossible. So I am not going to allude to that; I will however, state that circumstances have changed from Melee to Brawl against Brawl to Smash 4. Literally everything has changed; presuming that these circumstances are stagnant lends to the argument that Snake will return, so it is hopelessly convenient to pretend that "since it worked once, it will happen again (causation v correlation, it sounds more ignorant when stated bluntly)" that doesn't mean it will always be the case. Nothing is absolute, of course.

Overtaken

Smash Journeyman
1. There is an overt difference between avoiding a question (and its implications) and blatantly answering untruthfully. I honestly can't disregard his literal objective statement; that is fallacious. There are tactics that notable developers use the majority of the time; answering dishonestly and pretending that you are blissfully unaware isn't an effective strategy used by a competent person.

3. That is; again, fallacious reasoning. There is a difference between causation and correlation; I am not going to argue any further, this is typically the evidence that Snake supporters desperately state time and time again. Nothing will convince you otherwise.

4. Of course he has a chance; almost every single plausible Nintendo character has a chance. That is hardly relevant. The most "damnable" evidence against him? The assertion made by Kojima.

One must consider Sakurai's intent, this is quite obviously, impossible. So I am not going to allude to that; I will however, state that circumstances have changed from Melee to Brawl against Brawl to Smash 4. Literally everything has changed; presuming that these circumstances are stagnant lends to the argument that Snake will return, so it is hopelessly convenient to pretend that "since it worked once, it will happen again (causation v correlation, it sounds more ignorant when stated bluntly)" that doesn't mean it will always be the case. Nothing is absolute, of course.
1. I could buy it to an extent, he could have been slick and said "I wouldn't tell you even if I knew he was or wasn't in the game because I respect Sakurai's wishes to reveal the roster on his own terms", or something like that. But on the other hand, consider this, here is the actual quote:

"I'm not working on that game so I don't know, but I don't think that's likely. Well, if Mr. Sakurai is watching this, please use Snake."

If we took the quote literally and earnestly, it wouldn't reveal much about snakes prospects other than that Kojima really is oblivious (which the 'snake-is-out' crowd rather paradoxically refuses to accept), and that he believes Snake's return is unlikely. If he is as oblivious as he says, what would make him think Snake's return is 'unlikely' as opposed to 'likely' or 'up-in-air, 50/50'? It's already a problematic quote. Also, knowing the sense of humor these guys have and knowing Sakurai's predilection for trolling, couldn't we just as well believe Sakurai put Kojima up to that quote so when the Snake reveal happens, the dejected fans are all the more excited?

3. It's not a matter of confusing correlation with causation, it's simple inductive reasoning. If just six years ago Nintendo and Sakurai had no objections to Snake 'fitting into' smash, unless there is some known change in circumstance or view from either of those parties that indicates a change in the conclusion they made back then, then we should expect that it hasn't changed. What's changed in Nintendo or Sakurai's direction and vision of the series that should lead us to believe that Snake all-of-a-sudden doesn't fit into smash? Is there some quote or known design element of Smash 4 that should give us any reason what-so-ever that Snake no longer fits the bill?

4. Sorry, my statements are all together more directed at people who are convinced he definitely isn't coming back. It's not to say I'm without any doubts that he is.

Last edited:

Skyfox2000

War it never changes...
NNID
Skyfox2000
Has there been a leak of Snake Yet? Like a Photo

Last edited:

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
I'd like Snake to have his Twin Snakes look.
Personally, his MGS2 look or Naked Snake is my favorite. (Naked Snake in particular, but that's Big Boss)

I wouldn't mind his MGS1/Twin Snakes look at all though. Man I never realized how much Snake would benefit from alts.

Ekans647

Smash Lord
NNID
Ekans647
3DS FC
2019-9808-9029
Personally, his MGS2 look or Naked Snake is my favorite. (Naked Snake in particular, but that's Big Boss)

I wouldn't mind his MGS1/Twin Snakes look at all though. Man I never realized how much Snake would benefit from alts.
The reason I like the MGS1 look is because he looks more battle ready ad military-esque than the MGS2 Snake. Also he looks younger, but not too young.

Johnny Wellens

Smash Apprentice
I truly hope he returns, if anything because he was a unique fighter and I would hate to see someone so unique get dropped. Also because Snake is a badass.

3DS FC
5429-7210-5657
I'm fine with Snake returning but I think it's as unlikely as ever now, for the reason that they have already started doling out Snake's more unique moves to other cast members. Sheik has his nades, Olimar has his up-b, and I wouldn't be surprised if someone else ended up with his down-b.

Johnny Wellens

Smash Apprentice
I'm fine with Snake returning but I think it's as unlikely as ever now, for the reason that they have already started doling out Snake's more unique moves to other cast members. Sheik has his nades, Olimar has his up-b, and I wouldn't be surprised if someone else ended up with his down-b.
I hear what you're saying but that's not always the deciding factor, case in point being Mega Man's Up B is the same as Sonic's so people assumed he wouldn't return. You can't always count someone out until they're confirmed out.

AncientArk

Smash Apprentice
I guess that's entirely possible
considering what happens within the mgs series

Last edited:

greenluigiman2

Smash Ace
Sheik has her own grenades, not Snake's grenades. They don't even work the same way. The moves are not similar at all other than being grenades that explode. Also, how does Olimar have Snake's up-b? Last time I checked, you could attack out of Snake's up b and having more Pikmin (lol, Snake with Pikmin) didn't weigh you down. And more importantly, Snake is carried up by a cypher, not Pikmin.

Call me when another character actually gets one Snake's moves and not just a move that's mechanically or aesthetically similar.

Skyfox2000

War it never changes...
NNID
Skyfox2000
Sheik has her own grenades, not Snake's grenades. They don't even work the same way. The moves are not similar at all other than being grenades that explode. Also, how does Olimar have Snake's up-b? Last time I checked, you could attack out of Snake's up b and having more Pikmin (lol, Snake with Pikmin) didn't weigh you down. And more importantly, Snake is carried up by a cypher, not Pikmin.

Call me when another character actually gets one Snake's moves and not just a move that's mechanically or aesthetically similar.
Yeah. The Cypher and Winged Pikmin is totally different. I think the Cypher in brawl was able to destroy it in brawl we don't know yet if you can destroy the Winged Pikmin.

pickle962

Smash Lord
I honestly can't see snake return in smash 4! As far as we know, Kojima hasn't asked or begged Sakurai for his inclusion in smash 4 and I like to think Kojima got his wish fulfilled with SSBB. Plus it seems to me that with Namco Bandai helping make both versions of smash 4, theres a strong possibility that if we get another third party guy in the game, that space on the roster will go towards either pacman or better yet a well known fighter from Tekken!

Last edited:
Top Bottom