• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Social Thread - Please Read Last Post

Status
Not open for further replies.

Noipoi

Howdy!
I do think the idea of there not being a new big bad for Steven to focus on, at least for the moment, is an interesting angle for the season to take. But it’s leaving the season without much of a goal. And considering we’re already half way through at the very least... it makes me wonder why it even needed to exist. Other shows have done interesting beginning middle end stories in less episodes. Maybe I’ll feel different about it when it’s all over. But I’m starting to loose patience with this lack of ongoing narrative.
I feel like it’ll be one of those things where it’s building to something, and once we get there it’ll all make sense in hindsight.

Or maybe not, I dunno :drshrug:

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
2010- 8th grade was boppin'. Fun classes, good teachers, and any form of bullying came to a screeching halt in this school year and it really helped me finish middle school on a high note. My English teacher also set up a dodgeball tournament for us since we got done with our work ahead of schedule in the spring semester. That dude is a legend
Damn lucky. Middle school was probably the worst part of my life since I got bullied nonstop. At least high school was a bit better for me.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
I feel like it’ll be one of those things where it’s building to something, and once we get there it’ll all make sense in hindsight.

Or maybe not, I dunno :drshrug:
I hope so.

At least they finally gave the show something of a continuous ongoing villain with Bluebird. At least until Steven gets stuck on an island or something with them and physically absorbs all their evil like he does everything else.

I want that to be cannon. I want THAT to be the in universe explanation as to why Steven is able to rehabilitate so many enemies and monsters and for THAT to be why Super Saiyan Pink Steven is just now becoming a thing. He’s like, overloading and needs to let it out.

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul
So given were on the last day of the year. Whose been everyone's favorite cinematic villain of this year?

Brixton Lore (Hobbs and Shaw)
Grimmel the Grisly (How to Train Your Dragon: The Hidden World)
Joker (Joker)
King Ghidorah (Godzilla: King of the Monsters)
Mysterio (Spider-Man: Far From Home)
Palpatine (Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker)
Pennywise (It: Chapter Two)
Rex Dangervest (The Lego Movie: The Second Part)
Scar (The Lion King)
Thanos (Avengers: Endgame)
Other
Mysterio is one of the best adaptations of a comic book villain to film yet, and Jake Gyllenhaal was absolutely fantastic in the role.

I would've said Thanos but I thought he was pretty weak in Endgame and enjoyed his appearance in IW much more.

MilkCalf

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
2739-5061-8025
Mysterio is one of the best adaptations of a comic book villain to film yet, and Jake Gyllenhaal was absolutely fantastic in the role.

I would've said Thanos but I thought he was pretty weak in Endgame and enjoyed his appearance in IW much more.
I thought him being weak there was kinda the point. He is from before he got to learn any lessons and just misunderstands everything.

Hat N' Clogs

John Tavares is a Leaf
3DS FC
1650-2469-6836
Switch FC
SW-3519-9567-9870
Damn lucky. Middle school was probably the worst part of my life since I got bullied nonstop. At least high school was a bit better for me.
I will say though, 8th grade directly countered 7th grade for me. So, I can *slightly* understand where you're coming from.

While 8th grade was arguably my best year of schooling, 7th grade was my worst, bar-none. This one guy constantly annoyed me and frustrated me throughout the year, slandering my name and all. It was a horrible year of schooling and bullying took the form of slander and trying to get me into trouble and mind-game me, rather than the typical name calling and all. It was a special breed of aggravating.

But, since I transitioned from 7th grade into 8th grade in 2009, it wasn't counted within the decade post.

Last edited:

DerpingPikachu

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5074-6946-5113
Question for everyone: what were the best and worst years of the decade for you? Can also explain why they were like that if you want to.

For me:

Best:
2019 - Finished college, got an amazing job, Terry in Smash
2017 - Good year without anything majorly wrong happening

Worst:
2010 - Middle school was a living nightmare
2015 - Specifically the second half where I nearly flunked out of college during my first semester
Best? Despite my parents' divorcing this year, i'd like to say 2019. I met all you lovely people, plus a few other friends in the last few weeks. It was also the year I decided to stop being depressed and lose 20+ pounds, basically just got my life together.
Worst? 2016 no question. It was the year my Nana died, my best friend at the time left, and yeah..I was a heckin depressed mess back then.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
I will say though, 8th grade directly countered 7th grade for me. So, I can *slightly* understand where you're coming from.

While 8th grade was arguably my best year of schooling, 7th grade was my worst, bar-none. This one guy constantly annoyed me and frustrated me throughout the year, slandering my name and all. It was a horrible year of schooling and bullying took the form of slander and trying to get me into trouble and mind-game me, rather than the typical name calling and all. It was a special breed of aggravating.

But, since I transitioned from 7th grade into 8th grade in 2009, it wasn't counted within the decade post.
7th grade is the worst grade. I just realized I was trans and started feeling dysphoria hard. I was in the special needs program when I really didn’t need it and the teacher wanted to control every little aspect of my life, my classes friggin spiked in difficulty.... it was just a mess.

Then 8th grade happened and they gave me a laptop and it changed the way I dealt with school. Something that continued when I got a cell phone the next year in highschool. I no longer felt like I was isolated from the feast of the world all day, I had a constant lifeline.

D

Deleted member

All lines recorded.

I to do some maniacal laughing.

That just sucked the soul out of me.

I love playing villains.

Hat N' Clogs

John Tavares is a Leaf
3DS FC
1650-2469-6836
Switch FC
SW-3519-9567-9870
7th grade is the worst grade. I just realized I was trans and started feeling dysphoria hard. I was in the special needs program when I really didn’t need it and the teacher wanted to control every little aspect of my life, my classes friggin spiked in difficulty.... it was just a mess.

Then 8th grade happened and they gave me a laptop and it changed the way I dealt with school. Something that continued when I got a cell phone the next year in highschool. I no longer felt like I was isolated from the feast of the world all day, I had a constant lifeline.
That does sound like a big relief. Nice.

Raxxel

Hipster Heavyweight Champ
NNID
RaxxelAintHappy
3DS FC
2921-9637-8816
So I only found out now that apparently Xen had been added to Black Mesa despite the original plans not to.

This is Nihilanth.
IMG_20191231_110928.jpg

I hate how good he looks because god do I hate this boss with every fiber of my being.

D

Deleted member

I have literally never been bullied. I was kept outta school.

And yet I still have anxiety lmaoooo
Where my school gang at?

the school I go to is VERY Liberal in their policies, as long as you’re getting work done, do whatever you want!
Hel I’ve been playing Knock off Call of Duty on my chrome book in front of some of the teachers, and most of em don’t even bat an eye, let alone punish me.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kirby Dragons

Smash Hero
I've been bullied a couple times, but one of the times was only for a day or two, and the other time only lasted a few weeks or so. So I don't have a bad history with bullying.

DerpingPikachu

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5074-6946-5113
It's always interesting seeing who you start the year with vs who you end it with. I didn't even know any of you a year ago.

D

Deleted member

Beast King Barboros is now an archetype! Yeah boi!
Now I just need to dust off my 3 near mint copies of the original, and get ready to build em lol

AndreaAC

Ridley's Propaganda Artist
The fires in Down Under are still going, and here's Victoria with a blood red sky. (Hope I stay safe. I live in NSW)
View attachment 255198
o-o Holy crap . I saw some blood red skies in Mexico in news, but it was because of something regarding how light was affecting the skies or something...but is this one due to fires...? I mean, its cool looking, really, but, I hope the catastrophe ends...Take a lot of care! :(

MilkCalf

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
2739-5061-8025
It's quite hard for me to say which year is my best or worst as I'm an emotional mess. In a single day I can have an emotional high and an emotional low. Probably my years in school being bullied were pretty bad and quite dented my self image, but I lived and used my anger to blame them and not me. Then was that christian school I was in because my grades weren't high enough for other places. Not the worst place objectively but I was an atheist questioning my identity while in a pretty hardcore old school religious place.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

On the topic of bullies, I usually just bullied them back. I didn't have a lot of physical strength but I knew a ton of people so it drove them away after a while.

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
People of the world
Join hands
Start a Love Train
Love Train
Yeah, that song is stuck in my head
Happy New Years Eve!
It's crazy thinking 2000 is almost 20 years ago. Also crazy thinking that 2030 is almost 10 years away.

Rangez

Dimensional Dile-Up
....Honestly, I don't really remember much of my life back in the start of the 2010's. I think I was around either 11 or 12 and was in my final grade of elementary school, there were some nice teachers in that school too. I never made any real close bonds with any of the students there, but there was this one kid that I'd had my own vendetta against and we would sometimes come into disputes with one another.

Then there was my middle school days, something that would shift me into a new style when it came to school. I had my very first locker to put my own belongings in and personalize in my style, which I've seen a lot in some movies & shows on T.V. (particulary, Nickelodeon). Some of the worst parts about this experience was definitely many of the students, I wasn't exactly the brightest individual during that time of my life due to my mental condition so I didn't know how to approach people (and I still sort of do to this day). I could do that with the teachers, but the rowdy, spoiled boneheads I've encountered were a different story. What was even more worse was the school fights that would break out sometimes, mainly in the caferteria and even the gym for when everyone's waiting for the class schedule to start.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Got all the gems on the B1, 1 and 5. Now currently on Floor 3.

The only thing I'm gonna do is not catch Morty. He's too nice of a ghost to capture and probably besides Luigi's ghost dog the only ghost to treat him nicely.

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
Question for everyone: what were the best and worst years of the decade for you? Can also explain why they were like that if you want to.

For me:

Best:

Worst:
2015 - Specifically the second half where I nearly flunked out of college during my first semester
Let's get the worst out of the way first. Most definitely 2011. within a span of 365 days, I lost my last living grandparent, had to put down the childhood cat shortly thereafter, and was involved in a traumatizing car accident. Not fun.

As for best, either 2015 or 2018, idk the stars kinda aligned during those years.

2015 Was my first full year down south after moving from New England the previous fall, some fun experiences for sure. That's not to mention Smash 4 hype going mighty strong with DLC, and say what you will about Disney Star Wars nowadays, but Force Awakens was an event and imo, it did not disappoint.

2018 had the likes of Smash Ultimate, me finding a nice part time job, a super memorable Seattle trip, and of course I joined this dumpster fire of a site, still not sure if that one's a good thing or not.

Dutch Raikuna

Life's a sweet bitter beauty song.......
I'll ask this question to you all.

What were your favourite small scale or mundane moments this decade?

Last edited:

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696

For me:

Best:

Worst:
Best:
2011 - Packers won the Super Bowl

Worst:
2011 - Literally everything else that happened that year

Dark Bagel

Smash Ace
Like, he’s 17 now. He should know by now that this stuff isn’t the kind of thing you scream about in public or force people to talk about when they don’t want too. He’s usually so empathetic. But this felt like annoying season 1 “acts like a 4 year old despite being 13” Steven.

I do think the idea of there not being a new big bad for Steven to focus on, at least for the moment, is an interesting angle for the season to take. But it’s leaving the season without much of a goal. And considering we’re already half way through at the very least... it makes me wonder why it even needed to exist. Other shows have done interesting beginning middle end stories in less episodes. Maybe I’ll feel different about it when it’s all over. But I’m starting to loose patience with this lack of ongoing narrative.
I think that the "main antagonist" of SU Future is pretty cut and dry: its Steven's own inner turmoil when it comes to dealing with his OWN problems, as opposed to fixing other people's. I thought it was pretty clear that the season's consistent theme is what happens when life moves on, when you suddenly find yourself not being able to do the thing you do best quite like you did before, when all the people you're so used to tending to and caring about have now resolved all their problems, and they don't need your guidance anymore. All that's left to do is for Steven to look inward and confront his deep-seated issues related to his mother, as well as his compulsive need to be so involved in other people's issues to the point that it becomes a detriment to himself. And something tells me that inner-conflict will manifest into something nasty, considering the nature of his powers.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
One of the most memorable things that happened to me this Decade was in 2017 when I went on vacation to the Dominican republic, it was my first time being out of the country (even though where I live is right next door) and during this one of the last days there we decided to go look around for souvenirs from the trip.

I suddenly had to go to the bathroom real bad and when I was looking for one I immediately noticed this small Gameshop out of the corner of my eye that had the collectors edition of Fire emblem echoes out on the window collecting dust. Once I did what I set out to do I dragged the person in our group who was carrying our money over to the shop and the guy running it noticed me and in Spanish said something like "I knew you'd be back"

And that's the story of how I got into Fire emblem.

I didn't watch them that much.
The series I miss from PBG is Hardcore. They haven't done one in forever.
Man, I still rewatch those all the time, those were the best things he did. I don't even watch that Many Minecraft videos but I love those.

Last edited:

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
Fixed it for you.
Actually now that I think of it, I was wrong anyway.

Best:
2015 - I got to see the Buckeyes beat both Alabama and my new home state of Oregon at the national championship, live at each game, and I got to see my Packers at a home playoff game beat my dad's team while my dad was standing right next to me.

Worst:
2011 - Still 2011 when my roommates stole over $4000 from me and made me restart my life, among other things.

Hat N' Clogs

John Tavares is a Leaf
3DS FC
1650-2469-6836
Switch FC
SW-3519-9567-9870
I'll ask this question to you all.

What were your favourite small scale or mundane moments this decade?
My #1 small moment?
Whenever my younger brother roasts the country music genre. It's a riot. He goes about it in a way that just makes you want to die laughing.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom