• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social The Social Thread 3.2.1

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
How many series in Shonen Jump can there be? Makes building my DC Comics vs. Shonen Jump fighting game concept a never ending nightmare.

Also when is Jump gonna get its big female character. Goku is it’s Superman, Naruto is its Batman, but it doesn’t have a Wonder Woman. Just a bunch of other male lead series with supporting female characters.

Arale from Dr. Slump could work.

Jump doesn't have a ton of mainstream women leads, unfortunately - it's kind of an issue with the shonen action genre as a whole.

Luffy from One Piece could work as a counterpart to Wonder Woman - she gets her powers from gods, he gets his powers from a Devil (Fruit), and Luffy, Naruto, and Goku are easily the three best-known Jump protagonists like how Batman, Superman, and Wonder Woman are the three best-known DC heroes. (there are other reasons beyond that, but some of them fall into very recent OP spoiler territory)

Last edited:

ninjahmos

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-8579-4123-9016
I’ve recently been wanting to get into the Devil May Cry series because of its deep hack and slash combat system and industrial metal soundtrack, but I’m not really sure where to start, because from what I heard, the storyline is pretty convoluted.

Should I start with DMC1 or DMC3?

Last edited:

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
I’ve recently been wanting to get into the Devil May Cry series because of its deep hack and slash combat system and industrial metal soundtrack, but I’m not really sure where to start, because from what I heard, the storyline is pretty convoluted.

Start with DMC1. It may not be the first chronologically but I think it’s better to play the series in the order of how the gameplay evolves so your muscle memory can evolve with the series.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719

bls blay dee em cee too

Actually no, don't. Start with 3, it's where the series was fleshed out. 1 has too many signs it started out as a Resident Evil game.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047

DMC3 is a prequel (so you shouldn't need to know anything about the story to jump in), and if you can play the Switch version, it's the definitive version of the game in my eyes. (it adds features that were in Devil May Cry 4 and 5, like being able to switch your style whenever you want, though it has the option to play the game as it was originally)

However, it seems like it would be better to play DMC1 first - it seems like it would be tougher to go back to DMC1 after starting with DMC3. (though I'd suggest using a guide to find the Blue Orbs, which are like Heart Containers or Heart Pieces from Zelda - DMC1 is more difficult than DMC3, from what I recall)

Last edited:

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
So I started reading Bleach. Why? Becahse I work at a library and I was bored at work.

But what happened to One Piece? Well the one I work at has only the Wano arc and I am at like chapter 116 and if I whip out my phone for Manga Plus I'm getting written up and if I went to a piracy site I'm 100% getting fired.

Turns out, Bleach is a fun read too. Can already tell it's gonna be special as well. But it's probably gonna be a read at work only thing, a great way to pass time.

Noipoi

Howdy!
So I started reading Bleach. Why? Becahse I work at a library and I was bored at work.

But what happened to One Piece? Well the one I work at has only the Wano arc and I am at like chapter 116 and if I whip out my phone for Manga Plus I'm getting written up and if I went to a piracy site I'm 100% getting fired.

Turns out, Bleach is a fun read too. Can already tell it's gonna be special as well. But it's probably gonna be a read at work only thing, a great way to pass time.
Bleach is so versatile

You can clean with it

You can read it

You can drink it

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047

Hope you enjoy it. It's been a while since I read it, but from what I recall, it's got some great moments, especially in the introductory arcs and the first big arc.

Last edited:

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
If Rare Replay can’t come to switch for logistical reasons, it sure would be nice if they could at least add the ZX Spectrum to NSO or something so we have a vehicle for all of Rare’s catalogue on the Switch family of consoles.

Hydreigonfan01

Smash Master
DMC3 is a prequel (so you shouldn't need to know anything about the story to jump in), and if you can play the Switch version, it's the definitive version of the game in my eyes. (it adds features that were in Devil May Cry 4 and 5, like being able to switch your style whenever you want, though it has the option to play the game as it was originally)

However, it seems like it would be better to play DMC1 first - it seems like it would be tougher to go back to DMC1 after starting with DMC3. (though I'd suggest using a guide to find the Blue Orbs, which are like Heart Containers or Heart Pieces from Zelda - DMC1 is more difficult than DMC3, from what I recall)
I've heard that DMC3 is the hardest DMC game, or at least the original version was.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I've heard that DMC3 is the hardest DMC game, or at least the original version was.
It's rough at the start, but the new features for the Switch version help a lot. (originally, you were limited to two weapons and one style, and you could only change them at very specific points in the game - in the Switch version, you can switch between any weapon or style at will) As long as you pick Gold instead of Yellow at the start of the game, you should be good. (the game isn't clear on what that choice means, but Gold gives you infinite lives, whereas with Yellow, you have a limited number of lives and if you run out, you have to restart the mission)

Maybe I've built up DMC1's difficulty in my head because it was my first experience with the series and I wasn't used to it, but I know that I had to restart the game in my first playthrough in order to find the Blue Orbs because a miniboss was beating me easily and I didn't have the health to withstand its attacks or the upgrades to do a significant amount of damage to it.

Last edited:

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed

Jump doesn't have a ton of mainstream women leads, unfortunately - it's kind of an issue with the shonen action genre as a whole.

Luffy from One Piece could work as a counterpart to Wonder Woman - she gets her powers from gods, he gets his powers from a Devil (Fruit), and Luffy, Naruto, and Goku are easily the three best-known Jump protagonists like how Batman, Superman, and Wonder Woman are the three best-known DC heroes. (there are other reasons beyond that, but some of them fall into very recent OP spoiler territory)
If only Sailor Moon was Shonen Jump

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Solo Leveling getting renewed was the right decision to make

KillerCage

Smash Master
Is anyone else experiencing any trouble playing Splatoon 3 online?
I can't seem to connect to any matchs and I still have service.

I say start with DMC1.
DMC3 is DEFINITELY the better game in every department, but starting with that would make going back to DMC1 very difficult to stomach.

Last edited:

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
If we get a another Capcom fighter from another IP in the next Smash, I feel that Monster Hunter could be their first choice.

The big amount we got in Ultimate makes me think this (the only third-party IP that ever got a boss is a big sign).

GoldenYuiitusin

Smash Ace
If we get a another Capcom fighter from another IP in the next Smash, I feel that Monster Hunter could be their first choice.

The big amount we got in Ultimate makes me think this (the only third-party IP that ever got a boss is a big sign).
This actually gives me pause about Monster Hunter getting a fighter, honestly.

Because it makes me question why it didn't get a fighter already if they were already intent on giving the series representation as early as the base release.

Even if you want to make the argument that they just couldn't fit one in the base roster with the prioritization they made, ok, then why no DLC? Especially since they flat out ADDED post-release content but still no fighter.

No, to me it seems very deliberate as much as people try to sidestep the notion that this is something Sakurai/the Monster Hunter developers agreed upon.

....this isn't the Speculation thread. I made a wrong turn at Albuquerque.

Last edited:

Dukefire

Smash Master
Does anyone think a moveset change for certain characters might happen for the next smash bros game?

Dukefire

Smash Master
They should.

The next Smash should make updating movesets a higher priority over having a crazy roster.
I can see a lot of people wanting peach's moveset to fit her latest title. Also, finished Mighty Peach Act 1, but I'm getting annoyed of missing a few sparkles per stage.
20240330_120339.png
For sonic, I could see a change from his "Taunt n Roll" campy style to a more faster and risky playstyle to reflect his speed combat. As Sonic Frontiers has people wanting to change it to a style like that.

Last edited:

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
God Beaver Bother. Why do they not just go in the hole when they're right on the edge and running towards it! It's like the thing has an invisible wall around it and you can only bypass it if you slide into it from the side. And there are no cheat codes or hacks that let you bypass the bonus rounds!

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
Does anyone think a moveset change for certain characters might happen for the next smash bros game?
I don't think Smash has ever done a massive overhaul for characters, at least between each game, so I'm not expecting any characters to get more than 1 to 3 new replacement moves.

Even then, it's unlikely that more than one of those moves would be Special Moves, either. Still want Ganondorf to get an energy orb/Dead Man's Volley.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
God I hate the bonus barrel minigames in this game! I kind of just hate minigames in general and I especially hate them in DK64! That needs to be next on the modders checklist. First tag anywhere, then no bonus round minigames.

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
Just curious. Is DMC2 really that bad?
yes, a lot of the specifics on the development are hazy at best but everything we do know for fact points to Itsuno having to try and salvage as much as possible because the only thing that had actually been done in the game before he joined was the Stinger attack and he had a very limited timeframe to finish it

The sentiment from Itsuno and several devs was "we can't let this be our legacy" and so they got to go on and make DMC3, the pinnacle of character action.

ninjahmos

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-8579-4123-9016
yes, a lot of the specifics on the development are hazy at best but everything we do know for fact points to Itsuno having to try and salvage as much as possible because the only thing that had actually been done in the game before he joined was the Stinger attack and he had a very limited timeframe to finish it

The sentiment from Itsuno and several devs was "we can't let this be our legacy" and so they got to go on and make DMC3, the pinnacle of character action.
Did Itsuno ever try to revitalize the Stinger for DMC3 or later games?

ninjahmos

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-8579-4123-9016
Are there any Capcom games you guys would like to see remade via RE Engine?

I think a remake of Onimusha would be pretty cool.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble

I'd say 3 works well enough, 1 has a fair bit of growing pains imo like those damn shadow cats or whatever but 3, the Switch version specifically, is simply fantastic. DMC's timeline is pretty out of order even if we pretend the timeline didn't get retconned but the beauty of the series' storytelling is moreso when reading between the lines imo so no need to worry about that. Hell, you could start with 4 or 5 if you want and play more of you like those, 4 is pretty fun despite obviously being rushed and 5 is just superb all around, these games are easier than 3 so beginners can and should try them out if they're worried about the difficulty

TLDR: Ignore the storyline and just start where you want

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700

I recommend going with 1 as despite lacking in area gameplay wise. It's atmosphere is unmatched and the fact there's only two melee weapons and a few moves mean you won't be overwhelmed by how much options you have and instead focus on using what you have to the best of your ability

Do use a guide to get the blue orbs too like what was said by another user and be prepared for some early pain. Also get upgrade for Stinger as soon as you can, you need it, trust me.

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I have gone and catalogued every single amiibo I own.

I own 76 amiibo.

Do I have an issue?

Jondolio

Smash Hero
The Manga Plus version of Dragon Ball has a glitch that makes the double page spreads load incorrectly so while I'm waiting for Shueisha to fix this, I'm gonna give Naruto another shot. Hopefully I'll actually have fun with it this time

Top Bottom