• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social The Social Thread 3.2.1

Favorite announcement at the Indie World

• Little Kitty, Big City

Votes: 1 4.8%
  • Yars Rising

Votes: 3 14.3%
  • Refind Self: The Personality Test Game

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Sticky Business

• Antonblast

Votes: 8 38.1%
  • Valley Peaks

• Lorelei and the Laser Eyes

• Helder Pinto

• TMNT Splintered Fate

Votes: 4 19.0%
  • Cat Quest 3

Votes: 2 9.5%
  • stitch

• Steamworld Heist 2

• One of the games from the montage

• None

Votes: 7 33.3%

• Total voters

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
They about to drop the craziest remix of Volo’s theme:

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Get Chunky and then handle clean up later

Yes :nifty:
A: Your post came through too late and I had already made my decision
B: I only had a little bit of time before I had to go to bed so I decided to do Lanky and Tiny's sections of Jungle Japes first instead.

Frantic Factory is tomorrow.. god I HATED this level on my Wii U playthrough. I thought it was so creepy, and the dim lighting and music didn't help that. Not to mention the multiple circles I had to make of the whole thing with every Kong to get everything because the game starts out feeling so manageable when you only have two characters (plus Jungle Japes and Angry Aztec are pretty well designed levels for this style of game) But then you got Frantic Factory and Gloomy Galleon back to back and they're some of the worst levels in the game. And then there's all the BS in Fungi Forest... god. I barely even did anything in Crystal Caves and my old playthrough stopped there because I was so burnt out.

There is stuff to like in DK64. A lot of stuff. And being able to tag anywhere really does help (even if it does kinda break the immersion a bit... like where are they coming from and all that) but man, I was not surprised to learn that this game was rushed after a different vision for it was scrapped. And man I wish they had just stayed with that direction because who knows, maybe people would look back on DK64 more fondly if it wasn't just Banjo-Kazooie with a tonne of backtracking and color-coded collectables.

Noipoi

Howdy!
A: Your post came through too late and I had already made my decision
B: I only had a little bit of time before I had to go to bed so I decided to do Lanky and Tiny's sections of Jungle Japes first instead.

Frantic Factory is tomorrow.. god I HATED this level on my Wii U playthrough. I thought it was so creepy, and the dim lighting and music didn't help that. Not to mention the multiple circles I had to make of the whole thing with every Kong to get everything because the game starts out feeling so manageable when you only have two characters (plus Jungle Japes and Angry Aztec are pretty well designed levels for this style of game) But then you got Frantic Factory and Gloomy Galleon back to back and they're some of the worst levels in the game. And then there's all the BS in Fungi Forest... god. I barely even did anything in Crystal Caves and my old playthrough stopped there because I was so burnt out.

There is stuff to like in DK64. A lot of stuff. And being able to tag anywhere really does help (even if it does kinda break the immersion a bit... like where are they coming from and all that) but man, I was not surprised to learn that this game was rushed after a different vision for it was scrapped. And man I wish they had just stayed with that direction because who knows, maybe people would look back on DK64 more fondly if it wasn't just Banjo-Kazooie with a tonne of backtracking and color-coded collectables.
DK64 really should’ve been something like Crash Bandicoot. Linear 3D levels that would’ve stayed truer to the spirit of the original trilogy.

Maybe they could’ve got David Wise back too. Not knocking Kirkhope, the man’s a genius, but the music in 64 just sounds way too much like Banjo Kazooie music. Wise could’ve brought it back to the vibes of the SNES games.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
DK64 really should’ve been something like Crash Bandicoot. Linear 3D levels that would’ve stayed truer to the spirit of the original trilogy.

Maybe they could’ve got David Wise back too. Not knocking Kirkhope, the man’s a genius, but the music in 64 just sounds way too much like Banjo Kazooie music. Wise could’ve brought it back to the vibes of the SNES games.
I don’t mind the collection angle, it works and it’s fun. And if my experience with Jungle Japes and only having DK and Diddy is anything to go by then the game is pretty fun when there’s only two Kong’s.

Maybe just give all the special abilities you were planning on giving to Lanky, Tiny, and Chunky to DK and Diddy and make the three of them Kong helpers. Or maybe have there be a kidnapped Kong in each stage as a collectable, idk.

However, the original pitch of it being linear levels in the style of the country games but in 3D would also have been a tonne of fun, like you said. And I honestly think that probably would have been the better game, if only because they had been working on it for a lot longer. I don’t know why they pivoted in the eleventh hour but it really shows in the final product.

Dukefire

Smash Master
So, I'm beginning my stage performance with Princess Peach Showtime. Honestly, dazzling to play Peach in different roles on stage. Still on floor 1, but getting enjoyment. Friendly to all players, even to those that don't play games overall or kids starting to play video games.

StormC

Smash Hero

Linear 3D platformers on N64 were somewhat tricky to make due to how the N64 stored data and textures. It was more favorable to make big open areas that the player would revisit multiple times than put a bunch of resources towards linear, dense levels. Bomberman Hero is probably closer to what that game would look like (in terms of structure, not necessarily quality).

I think Wise was also busy at the time on Dinosaur Planet which had a very tumultuous development. Rare pushing forward with games like DK64 and Tooie probably did a lot of damage to the collectathon genre in the longterm, though. It doesn't help that the original 2D version of the game was in development for 18 months before being scrapped. A ton of time wasted there.

Last edited:

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Linear 3D platformers on N64 were somewhat tricky to make due to how the N64 stored data and textures. It was more favorable to make big open areas that the player would revisit multiple times than put a bunch of resources towards linear, dense levels. Bomberman Hero is probably closer to what that game would look like (in terms of structure, not necessarily quality).

I think Wise was also busy at the time on Dinosaur Planet which had a very tumultuous development. Rare pushing forward with games like DK64 and Tooie probably did a lot of damage to the collectathon genre in the longterm, though. It doesn't help that the original 2D version of the game was in development for 18 months before being scrapped. A ton of time wasted there.
God why didn’t they just finish the 2D version they spent 18 months on!

StormC

Smash Hero
God why didn’t they just finish the 2D version they spent 18 months on!
The shift happened right around when Banjo-Kazooie was released and multiple staff members of Banjo came to work on the project. They must have been confident that retooling the game as a Banjo-like would make it more successful (and to be honest considering that DK64 is one of the best selling N64 games, that impulse might not be wrong). One of the DK64 staff members also claims the 2D version of the game was struggling to create a sizable amount of levels ("The original plans of trying to recreate the DKC format of tonnes of A-B levels just wasn’t going to be feasible from a production point of view."), which ties into what I said earlier about N64 storage making it more difficult to develop that kind of game.

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
Roster leaked for the upcoming marvel game (marvel rivals) as of current build;

More characters in the post under that one. Also game is seemingly not coming to mobile, so that’s a W.

Also rumored to have a destructible environments .

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
The shift happened right around when Banjo-Kazooie was released and multiple staff members of Banjo came to work on the project. They must have been confident that retooling the game as a Banjo-like would make it more successful (and to be honest considering that DK64 is one of the best selling N64 games, that impulse might not be wrong). One of the DK64 staff members also claims the 2D version of the game was struggling to create a sizable amount of levels ("The original plans of trying to recreate the DKC format of tonnes of A-B levels just wasn’t going to be feasible from a production point of view."), which ties into what I said earlier about N64 storage making it more difficult to develop that kind of game.
If only they could have delayed the game then to give it proper time to cook in the new direction. Heh. Imagine if you will, a timeline where they pushed to finish the original vision of Twelve Tails for their holiday title that year in place of a delayed DK64 and both that title and Tooie came out later in the N64 lifespan as a result. But we also never got Bad Fur Day as a result, or maybe Chris Seavor got all his raunchy/violent urges out in another game.

Idk. I’d take it. Especially if this timeline also had the original pre-Star Fox version of Dinosaur Planet completed and released on N64. Sigh… I want to play those games. Twelve Tails. Dinosaur Planet. A better version of DK64.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Yessir. Pretty good show, interested to see where they take it.
It's definitely gonna be more Kong-focused.

Some things I predict. How APEX ended up with those skullcrawler eggs in GvK. Lead up to Mechagodzilla's creation

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Roster leaked for the upcoming marvel game (marvel rivals) as of current build;

More characters in the post under that one. Also game is seemingly not coming to mobile, so that’s a W.

Also rumored to have a destructible environments .
Who the **** is Luna Snow?

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Last edited:

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
this, Ultimate Spider-Man 2024 #3, a new X-Men 97 episode, and a new game being officially revealed…today is a good day for Marvel

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
The Disney+ Hulu thing is out of beta and here are some initial observations:
1. Content should be more integrated within Disney+. Previously all Hulu content was exclusive to the Hulu hub/Searching.
2. The anime is still present. Which is good because I’m two episodes away from finishing Wandering Witch The Journey of Elaina.
3. Some networks got their buttons removed. Namely all WB stuff along with CBS. The content is still present on normal Hulu.
4. The song used in the release trailer… I swear I heard it in a movie before:

Edit: The new color is called Aurora. Named after Aurora Borealis and a homage to Princess Aurora.

Last edited:

ninjahmos

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-8579-4123-9016
So why do you think SEGA is (supposedly) remaking Sonic Heroes instead of Adventure 1 or 2?

Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
So why do you think SEGA is (supposedly) remaking Sonic Heroes instead of Adventure 1 or 2?
They’re saving it for the reveal of Adventure 3 to bundle an Adventure 1+2 HD remake collection for a reasonable price. This post is sponsored by copium

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Honest answer? The Adventure games are something that could only exist in the time they came out so that, massive pressure on living up to what people remember and the general work needed being greater than Heroes makes it an easy choice. Heroes is more simplistic in pretty much every way. Plus, it's only ever been rereleased on what, the PSN store? Which means the worst version? Heroes also has a bunch of unique charms, one of which being the large cast and as Sonic's remembering that there are people who love the supporting cast instead of insisting Sonic and Eggman should be the only characters, so I can imagine that reintroducing a bunch to the kiddos could be seen as worthwhile

cashregister9

Smash Hero

It’s Marvel Time
Ah **** it seems to be pushing all the right buttons for me. I have a soft spot for hero shooters, The gameplay looks fun and the roster is unique. Although man they were not kidding when they called it an overwatch ripoff some of those ui elements looked straight up ripped from the game

I literally just want to know if it has the awful Mobile game menu style and monetization so I know whether or not to actually be excited

Pink Yoshi

Smash Lord
I just caught a full odds Shiny Spinda in Alpha Sapphire.

Without even Dex-Nav-chaining.

I'm scared I was cursed with some kind of unholy power over shinies cuz this is HOW MANY shines I have under my belt now?

And I still haven't failed even one-

Sonic Heroes remake that adds Tesm Hooligans and Team Mania (Mighty, Ray, and… either Honey or Trip) is one of my dreams.
I want a Team Deadly as well.

If you're wondering how they fly...well the Deadly Six are shown to be able to jump absurdly high and far, but if that's not good enough have Zeena twirl her tail or Master Zik twirl his staff Bandana Dee-style.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
I just caught a full odds Shiny Spinda in Alpha Sapphire.

Without even Dex-Nav-chaining.

I'm scared I was cursed with some kind of unholy power over shinies cuz this is HOW MANY shines I have under my belt now?

And I still haven't failed even one-

I want a Team Deadly as well.

If you're wondering how they fly...well the Deadly Six are shown to be able to jump absurdly high and far, but if that's not good enough have Zeena twirl her tail or Master Zik twirl his staff Bandana Dee-style.
The problem is you'ed need to have two teams of three to cover all the members of the Deadly Six.

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
Oh yeah, Marvelwatch looks cool. The sound design was pretty weak in the trailer but it's not complete yet so I won't get on them.

Here's hoping it doesn't fall into the trap of Overwatch's massive shortcomings

Pink Yoshi

Smash Lord
The problem is you'ed need to have two teams of three to cover all the members of the Deadly Six.
you say that like it's a bad thing

Sega is no stranger to putting certain Deadly Six members on a higher pedestal than others. Zavok and Zazz being the favorites. I'd see them being power and speed formation respectively. As for Flight, again I figure Zeena might fit the bill if you give her the whole tail-spinning maneuver I mentioned.

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
Marvel Rivals looks good. Liking the character designs, environments and the fact they are destructible make them unique. The moves and team ups they showcased really add an interesting layer to gameplay, and overall looks like a unique roster to start with.

Sucks it’s pc only right now, but it’s suppose to be coming to consoles by release, so I’ll wait. If they just want to sell a battle pass and costumes for special events, then honestly I would have no issue with that monetization and it would likely still do really well.

Top Bottom