• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social The Social Thread 3.2.1

Favorite announcement at the Indie World

• Little Kitty, Big City

Votes: 3 12.5%
  • Yars Rising

Votes: 4 16.7%
  • Refind Self: The Personality Test Game

Votes: 1 4.2%
  • Sticky Business

• Antonblast

Votes: 10 41.7%
  • Valley Peaks

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Lorelei and the Laser Eyes

Votes: 4 16.7%
  • Helder Pinto

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • TMNT Splintered Fate

Votes: 5 20.8%
  • Cat Quest 3

• stitch

Votes: 2 8.3%
  • Steamworld Heist 2

• One of the games from the montage

• None

Votes: 7 29.2%

• Total voters

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
That's

Kinda not true?

Back when FEH launched, Roy was one of the 3* units to get a special pull animation iirc.

The issue with Roy is, IMO, his game is boring as hell, since every single map objective is the exact same with zero variance to it. Though Roy will forever live in infamy for being able to marry his teacher.
Compared to how IS treats the other Smash characters, yeah Roy is just kinda... there from what I can tell. Iirc he not even that popular with the fans.

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
Roy's popularity def skews heavily more on the Smash side of things than the actual FE fanbase iirc.
Smash kinda gaslight me with the "popularity" of these characters.

Like Roy sucks ass in his own game (which isn't really liked), I thought Pichu was way more involved in the Pokemon series than he actually was, they had me believing they still made Earthbound games and there was one I could get for the Wii. Imagine my disappointment when I found out it was a game for the SNES and it costed 599 US Dollars.

Shroob

Sup?

Like Roy sucks ass in his own game (which isn't really liked), I thought Pichu was way more involved in the Pokemon series than he actually was, they had me believing they still made Earthbound games and there was one I could get for the Wii. Imagine my disappointment when I found out it was a game for the SNES and it costed 599 US Dollars.
Funny

My playthrough of Earthbound cost me zero dollars. :nifty:

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
That's

Kinda not true?

Back when FEH launched, Roy was one of the 3* units to get a special pull animation iirc.

The issue with Roy is, IMO, his game is boring as hell, since every single map objective is the exact same with zero variance to it. Though Roy will forever live in infamy for being able to marry his teacher.
Roy is pretty much cool everywhere else but his own game I suppose. Smash, FEH, Engage, and even the old webcomics where Roy kept trying to get back into Smash.

also Ray Chase makes him chadly by default

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Done with FE for now. Still on Lyn's story but I absolutely bombed the fog map so gonna retry it tomorrow.

It's actually pretty fun overall, really has the gears inside my head churning. Might take a gander at the rest of the series if it keeps up.

Also, kinda funny how Lyn gets billed top dollar in like every FE spin off, but she isn't playable in Smash.

Hope they fix that blunder someday.
Pro tip for fog of war bull****. I forget if the game mentions this or not but thieves have better vision so you can have Matthew move forward, he's not front line material but it helps extend your view by 5 more spaces, try slapping a torch on a frontliner too

Shroob

Sup?
1703320752314.png

I like FE8 more than FE7.

FE7 is a superior game in almost every way.

But I like how FE8 lets you basically do whatever the **** you want. You can take the **** units and make them strong as ****.

StormC

Smash Hero

Mother has to be by far the most overrepresented series in Smash proportionate to its actual success, and I say that as someone who's played all 3 games. 2 characters, 4 stages, and a bunch of items and Assist Trophies for a trilogy of games across 3 decades.

It's probably why fans keep asking for a Mother 3 translation - they don't realize that even in Japan these were somewhat niche titles. Smash is the main reason it stays in the Nintendo mindshare at all.

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
Mother has to be by far the most overrepresented series in Smash proportionate to its actual success, and I say that as someone who's played all 3 games. 2 characters, 4 stages, and a bunch of items and Assist Trophies for a trilogy of games across 3 decades.

It's probably why fans keep asking for a Mother 3 translation - they don't realize that even in Japan these were somewhat niche titles. Smash is the main reason it stays in the Nintendo mindshare at all.
Undertale and a large amount of modern indie hits be like

Is joke but if I had a nickel for every "Inspired by Earthbound" Indie game I'd.....have at least 5 bucks, maybe ten.

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806

Smash certainly helps its popularity but it also has a huge cult following.

osby

Smash Obsessed
I love it when retro gametubers are like "This classic game is much better than its modern sequels, you just have to overlook worse graphics and steep price and lack of accessibility and enigmatic game design and game-breaking bugs and offensive story beats and..."

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
View attachment 382063

I like FE8 more than FE7.

FE7 is a superior game in almost every way.

But I like how FE8 lets you basically do whatever the ** you want. You can take the ** units and make them strong as ****.
I mean, Eirika is a top tier Lord and runs laps around Lyn in terms of writing, Lyon is one of FE's best villains and though he got screwed in localization a bit, it's not nearly as bad as what happened to Nergal, Powerful Foe very well might have the first guitar riff in the series which is real nice alongside the flute instruments FE8 uses, supports are less grindy, L'arachell exists, Joshua exists, it has an admittedly minor Skill system beyond just Assassins which is pretty nice and it's also more accessible by taking notes from Gaiden. Time has been very kind to Sacred Stones I feel and I honestly didn't enjoy 7 much after replaying it recently. Still need to replay the game as it's been like a decade but the writing for Sacred Stones is much better than I remember by seeing snippets here and there

Jotadé

Smash Journeyman
Good morning from Gran Canaria everyone! Here's to a hopefully good and cool day!

I love it when retro gametubers are like "This classic game is much better than its modern sequels, you just have to overlook worse graphics and steep price and lack of accessibility and enigmatic game design and game-breaking bugs and offensive story beats and..."
As a retrogamer myself, I agree that said kind of viewpoint is very silly. I personally rather value the old classic games from the perspective of a kid or player back then.

One example: Kirby's Dreamland 3. It is a very simple game by today's standards, and while the artstyle is very good It can't be denied that It has been perfected through time by other games.

With that said, looking at It from the perspective of the time and what was on the market by then, It is undeniable that It was quite ambitious for a SNES game with all the side missions and said visual style. Truly a gem from the time, even if It has been perfected already.

I mean, Eirika is a top tier Lord and runs laps around Lyn in terms of writing, Lyon is one of FE's best villains and though he got screwed in localization a bit, it's not nearly as bad as what happened to Nergal, Powerful Foe very well might have the first guitar riff in the series which is real nice alongside the flute instruments FE8 uses, supports are less grindy, L'arachell exists, Joshua exists, it has an admittedly minor Skill system beyond just Assassins which is pretty nice and it's also more accessible by taking notes from Gaiden. Time has been very kind to Sacred Stones I feel and I honestly didn't enjoy 7 much after replaying it recently. Still need to replay the game as it's been like a decade but the writing for Sacred Stones is much better than I remember by seeing snippets here and there
Lol, I love how most Fire Emblem fans I know tend to explain why they like a specific character by saying the whole lore they have or their stats in battle, and meanwhile I am here with Roy me boy thinking "Wow! He has red hair, reminds me of Sora and uses fire attacks in Smash! That's so cool!".

Not saying this in a negative way or anything, just found It funny.

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
Nintendotubers have to be the worst of the bunch when it comes to that. Had me believing all these NES games were some instant classics, I tried them out, and they're terrible. Archaic, outdated, controls like molasses, unfun. Same with N64 games and especially Arcade games.

SNES is dope tho 👍🏾

Jotadé

Smash Journeyman
Yo people, already made a profile post about It since I couldn't post here yet but check It out:

I'm with my aunt-cousin and her grandchildren and we are having a really fun time.

The smaller ones are watching one of my childhood shows (Justice League) while I am playing some games on the Switch with the older one.
They don't appear on the photo out of respect for their privacy, but believe me when I say they are laughing, having fun and enjoying my presence.

Such great people to have around.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Nintendotubers have to be the worst of the bunch when it comes to that. Had me believing all these NES games were some instant classics, I tried them out, and they're terrible. Archaic, outdated, controls like molasses, unfun. Same with N64 games and especially Arcade games.

SNES is dope tho 👍🏾
Honestly, I love me a few seriously outdated games for a mix of different factors (read: nostalgia) but I like to think I have enough common sense to not act like I have a more sophisticated taste in video games because I enjoy them.

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
Honestly, I love me a few seriously outdated games for a mix of different factors (read: nostalgia) but I like to think I have enough common sense to not act like I have a more sophisticated taste in video games because I enjoy them.
Tbh same, a lot can be mindless fun. But that's it, mindless fun. Not the best game of all time and you're dumb for not playing it.

I will say it is funny how so many retrotubers acted like Rare leaving Nintendo for Microsoft was worse than 9/11. Some still act like that because Rare doesn't make scrimbo's collect 1000000 thingamabobs adventure anymore and just moved on to bigger projects (heresy).

Last edited:

Jotadé

Smash Journeyman
Tbh same, a lot can be mindless fun. But that's it, mindless fun. Not the best game of all time and you're dumb for not playing it.

I will say it is funny how so many retrotubers acted like Rare leaving Nintendo for Microsoft was worse than 9/11. Some still act like that because Rare doesn't make scrimbo's collect 1000000 thingamabobs adventure anymore and just moved on to bigger projects (heresy).
Agreed, don't get me started on the people who act as if Squaresoft betrayed Nintendo during the N64 era.

The reality was that Nintendo really didn't want to help Square with what they needed to accomplish the next Final Fantasy for the N64 (basically more Memory Space) and Nintendo was so pissed at them that they vetoed many Square workers from entering their building for a long time. Sounds more like Nintendo was the one in the wrong, doesn't It? It took until Iwata's presidence for the relationship between both to start healing again, as Iwata basically apologized in the name of all of Nintendo to Square and helped restore relationships.

Funnily enough, the missconception is more common between English-speaking youtubers, but spanish-speaking youtubers tend to be way more educated on this whole subject funnily enough.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior

SNES is dope tho 👍🏾
I hate these people so much, you'd assume CastleVania and Mega Man were absolute mega hits with the classic style of both being the best, Final Fantasy III being the only good one, Banjo Kazooie being the biggest game of the generation and the 64 and Gamecube not getting their **** kicked in by the Playstations

Jotadé

Smash Journeyman
I hate these people so much, you'd assume CastleVania and Mega Man were absolute mega hits with the classic style of both being the best, Final Fantasy III being the only good one, Banjo Kazooie being the biggest game of the generation and the 64 and Gamecube not getting their **** kicked in by the Playstations
Yeah, it's funny because the NES Megaman games sold so badly in Europe that they stopped releasing them here after the 4th entry.

And yeah, speaking of Europe and PlayStation: one can really tell going from English speaking communities mostly centered around the USA to spanish communities with european routes how different things went on between continents.

Spain for example was more of a SEGA country, heck I know more people who know about Alex Kidd and Opa Opa than people who know Samus, Mega Man or many other NES character. And after SEGA It has been to this day more of a PlayStation country. Probably why I am more into Metal Gear Solid, Kingdom Hearts and Insomniac Games/Naughty Dog titles, ngl.

Even my mother told me one day: Nintendo was mostly the original Gameboy and the Wii over here, everything else was more going towards the PlayStation 2 and the Mega Drive. Also probably why I see more people on the streets wearing Sonic merch and clothing rather than Mario ones.

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
In all fairness, both NESVania and Mega Man aged well. What's funny is that the retro tubers that played past the NES Castlevanias (James Rolfe, Somecallmejohnny) all said they prefered the games from the SNES era and above.

Same with Mega Man, in fact, the RPGs sold the best out of them all and nobody talks about them.

No comment on FF (lets be real they don't play RPGs) and on Banjo, it's funny cause I thought Banjo vs Crash was like some rivarly or something. It wasn't. And also Tooie sucks.

Last edited:

Jotadé

Smash Journeyman
In all fairness, both NESVania and Mega Man aged well. What's funny is that the retro tubers that played past the NES Castlevanias (James Rolfe, Somecallmejohnny) all said they prefered the games from the SNES era and above.

Same with Mega Man, in fact, the RPGs sold the best out of them all and nobody talks about them.

No comment on FF (lets be real they don't play RPGs) and on Banjo, it's funny cause I thought Banjo vs Crash was like some rivarly or something. It wasn't. And also Tooie sucks.
Yeah, the Castlevania games from the SNES era and beyond were such an amazing evolution both visually, gameplay and music-wise. I think the entirety of SOTN beats in music every single NES Castlevania. You know you have done It well when this is your Boss theme:

And yeah, people over here Who happen to know Mega Man (myself included) know him way more from the Battle Network and Starforce games/anime rather than the X or classic games. Heck, I remember back when I was a kid finding out about MvC2 and how It had Mega Man and being so hyped... Then I saw It was a Mega Man I knew from nothing and was like "...wtf is this?"

As for Final Fantasy: I know from various infos that It was a huge hit in Japan, but in the USA Mystic Quest and FFVI sold so poorly it was why Square decided to do Super Mario RPG with Nintendo: to boost sales. And Europe didn't even get any FF game until VII so yeah.

As for Banjo, I'm gonna let this speak for itself: if you go to YouTube and look up "anuncios videojuegos en España": 90% of the commercials from the time which will appear will mostly just be for the Mega Drive and PlayStation. There's almost no N64 commercials archived besides a Mario 64 promo with a popular milkshake brand and the Goldeneye 007 commercial. The only Banjo-related thing archived from Spain is a VHS tape which was sold on magazines, which may as well not count.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
lets be real they don't play RPGs
God do not get me started on that, I've been watching a playthrough of the Mario RPG remake and it makes so much sense as to why that crowd hates fun, all they do is basic attacks because the MP is shared across the whole party with the game being easy enough to get away with just that. If you DO somehow end up needing to use an item to heal the game goes all "Oh I'm ever so sorry, that must have been so frightening, having to be low health, here, that one was for free!"

HyperSomari64

Smash Master
At this point, a third Project X Zone game should exist.
Just for the sake of pissing off Sonic fans all over the world (like myself) and other mascot games fanbases.

Last edited:

Jotadé

Smash Journeyman
Ok but the monopoly would have been cool.
No Monopoly is good, no matter who starts It.

Here in Gran Canaria one bus company has a monopoly on the whole thing and they literally control prices and everything. We are lucky our goverment is competent handling them because they don't abuse the prices, and if It weren't for that we would be paying 10 bucks the trip on bus (practically the most ecological way to travel on the Island besides electric cars).

Do you want a Universal, Disney and Paramount Monopoly where the three play dices with one another to see which one abuses the consumers more? Hopefully you don't.

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
Ok but the monopoly would have been cool. It's an unsustainable bubble that's going to burst at some point anyway, and I'd like to see somebody other than Disney at the top when it does.
Okay but like, how's that going to benefit anyone?

You're not going to see crazy crossovers or a celebration of both companies' histories with how WBD treats their own IPs. And Disney certainly won't lose anything by it.

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
Has anyone watched the new Castlevania season on Netflix? With Richter and Maria? How was it?

I know people hated it for various reasons but I also heard it was good by others. And I really liked Rondo of Blood and SoTN

Jotadé

Smash Journeyman
osby osby Cutie Gwen Cutie Gwen Lamperouge Lamperouge Noipoi Noipoi Speed Weed Speed Weed Dyllybirdy Dyllybirdy TheMightyP TheMightyP

Currently at the birthday party of the child of one of my cousins and also the birth party of their new daughter.

I am currently watching No Way Home on Netflix with some of my little cousins and are about to eat food.

Also lol, one of my little cousins has a lot of Sonic stuff on this house.

Has anyone watched the new Castlevania season on Netflix? With Richter and Maria? How was it?

I know people hated it for various reasons but I also heard it was good by others. And I really liked Rondo of Blood and SoTN
I found It really fun personally.

Obviously It isn't a 100% accurate adaptation because there's no Dracula, but I love how they showed Richter's trauma and social anxiety due to the death of her mother and the Divine Bloodlines scene went extremely hard.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior

It's a good time, only real bad moment is the need for a funny one liner that genuinely ruins the whole scene which was literally the coolest ****ing thing ever. Recommend giving it a shot if you enjoyed the previous series

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
I enjoy older graphic aesthetic (games like Shovel Knight and Undertale may not have become quite as popular they are if there was no appeal for "retro" graphics it) and honestly, I still think a decent number of NES games' are legitimately good. Just...flawed, compared to games that were developed later.

The original NES Zelda is a solid game gameplay-wise. The biggest problems the game has for one of it's time is the lack of a detailed overworld map and the very few clues you get as to where you're supposed to go next or what you're supposed to do in certain locations and labyrinths. And that can certainly leave a sour taste in one's mouth since while games don't need to hold your hand or give you clues about everything, this one in particular practically goes the opposite direction of that and leaves a lot of things cryptic or doesn't hint towards certain objectives or mechanbics at all, leaving the player to have to wander around for a while looking for solutions or clues or experiment at random until they figure it out by chance or trial and error.

A lot of older games are still legitimately good overall. But compared to advancements made with later and many modern day games, a lot of these older games are also more flawed and incomplete. There's a difference between challenging and just bad or flawed game design.

Top Bottom