• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social The Social Thread 3.2.1

Favorite announcement at the Indie World

• Little Kitty, Big City

Votes: 3 12.5%
  • Yars Rising

Votes: 4 16.7%
  • Refind Self: The Personality Test Game

Votes: 1 4.2%
  • Sticky Business

• Antonblast

Votes: 10 41.7%
  • Valley Peaks

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Lorelei and the Laser Eyes

Votes: 4 16.7%
  • Helder Pinto

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • TMNT Splintered Fate

Votes: 5 20.8%
  • Cat Quest 3

• stitch

Votes: 2 8.3%
  • Steamworld Heist 2

• One of the games from the montage

• None

Votes: 7 29.2%

• Total voters

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Well you have a triple whammy of painting a trans girl in a heroic light, while trans girls are demonized throughout media, and hardcore nerds hate anything LGBT. People will get mad no matter what.
yeah that’s pretty much a challenging battle to win unfortunately

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
I don’t really get how Gwen’s arc gives people the idea she’s trans, but some spoiler thoughts.

Everyone in her life is dead, even her dad essentially. She wanted somewhere to belong because the canon events literally made her life absolute hell. She was desperate for anyone who could relate or comfort her because she knew what fate awaited her. Which is why she stood by Miguel for most of the film.

she couldn’t open herself up because like MCU Peter, she was a murderer. Except unlike Peter, she had no one would support her and she couldn’t even confide the truth because no one would believe her.

The film ended with her realizing miles was the first person after everything she went through who genuinely tried to empathize with her and befriend her and that she made actual connections along the way who also wanted to be there for her.

She couldn’t connect to her dad because after Peter and her mother died they had nothing left to their relationship. It’s seemingly confirmed he devoted everything to hunting spider-woman hoping it would give give him closure. We don’t see how her mom dies in the film, but I’m betting Captain Stacey blames himself and Spider-woman for not saving his wife. That was my take away anyway. So of course Gwen wouldn’t want to reveal her identity. It’s the same canon series of events every spiderman goes through. Wanting to tell people their secret identity but knowing it will destroy their lives if their family or loved ones ever learn.

Being a teen, it’s natural she would react this way. I don’t see it as a trans allegory, but more of a heroes journey type of deal. All of them must walk alone or it will ruin what little joy they have left in their lives.

either way she’s an ally and that’s a W. I also could see their being a pretty big reason for her having the flag though:

Her Peter could have potentially been trans. The fact that the lizard serum looks like the goblin serum we see in media like spectacular Spider-Man, could imply this was a more hormonal transformation serum. Although I don’t remember the exact way the lizard one works in comics, other then it’s goal to allow new healing factors.

It would explain Peter’s bullying, lack of confidence, the flag in Gwen’s room, and why he would feel the need to bulk up and get revenge on Ned. Because I doubt the goal was for him to become a lizard. Also I don’t know if we see anyone as Gwen’s date at the prom, but perhaps she didn’t have the courage to ask peter and this furthered his choice.
Well this got last post of the page so I guess I’ll repost.

Either I do think it’s best how many different interpretations of character traits you can take away from this film.

Like how Hobbie has blue laces which could be really significant.

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
I don’t really get how Gwen’s arc gives people the idea she’s trans, but some spoiler thoughts.

Everyone in her life is dead, even her dad essentially. She wanted somewhere to belong because the canon events literally made her life absolute hell. She was desperate for anyone who could relate or comfort her because she knew what fate awaited her. Which is why she stood by Miguel for most of the film.

she couldn’t open herself up because like MCU Peter, she was a murderer. Except unlike Peter, she had no one would support her and she couldn’t even confide the truth because no one would believe her.

The film ended with her realizing miles was the first person after everything she went through who genuinely tried to empathize with her and befriend her and that she made actual connections along the way who also wanted to be there for her.

She couldn’t connect to her dad because after Peter and her mother died they had nothing left to their relationship. It’s seemingly confirmed he devoted everything to hunting spider-woman hoping it would give give him closure. We don’t see how her mom dies in the film, but I’m betting Captain Stacey blames himself and Spider-woman for not saving his wife. That was my take away anyway. So of course Gwen wouldn’t want to reveal her identity. It’s the same canon series of events every spiderman goes through. Wanting to tell people their secret identity but knowing it will destroy their lives if their family or loved ones ever learn.

Being a teen, it’s natural she would react this way. I don’t see it as a trans allegory, but more of a heroes journey type of deal. All of them must walk alone or it will ruin what little joy they have left in their lives.
She wanted a place to belong because she kept getting vilified to her face even though her dad didn't realise it was her he was vilifying. She couldn't open up about being Spider-Woman to her dad because of his whole demeanour about it.
Just like trans people just want somewhere to feel safe whilst they're getting vilified to their faces by their so-called "family" and feeling like they can't open up to them about it.

And then you throw in the "Protect Trans Kids" flag on her wall, her dad wearing a trans flag on his uniform and the use of the trans flag colours when she comes out and talks to her dad about being Spider-Woman and wanting him to accept her.

It's the use of flags and colours that make this an allegory and Spider-Verse is extremely rich in using colours to mean certain things.

I also could see their being a pretty big reason for her having the flag though:

Her Peter could have potentially been trans. The fact that the lizard serum looks like the goblin serum we see in media like spectacular Spider-Man, could imply this was a more hormonal transformation serum. Although I don’t remember the exact way the lizard one works in comics, other then it’s goal to allow new healing factors.

It would explain Peter’s bullying, lack of confidence, the flag in Gwen’s room, and why he would feel the need to bulk up and get revenge on Ned. Because I doubt the goal was for him to become a lizard. Also I don’t know if we see anyone as Gwen’s date at the prom, but perhaps she didn’t have the courage to ask peter and this furthered his choice.
No one's going with "the trans character died after mutating into a monster after taking a serum" for hopefully obvious reasons.

Jondolio

Smash Hero
I don't know if Gwen is meant to be trans or not (when I saw the sign in her room I interpreted as her being an ally) but like, this movie and the first one are both full of things that could easily be read as queer allegories so I wouldn't rule out having one of the main characters being trans

Shroob

Sup?
I will say that a trans Spider-Man (or Woman in this case) reinforces the idea of "anybody can wear the mask", and in a franchise that has a Spider T-Rex and a Spider-Man that's made up of millions of spiders after they ate a man, I find it very odd that this is where people draw the line.
A pig is a Spider Man? "Acceptable"

A trans person is a Spider Man/Woman? "NOW WAIT A SECOND HERE"

People, I swear.

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
She wanted a place to belong because she kept getting vilified to her face even though her dad didn't realise it was her he was vilifying. She couldn't open up about being Spider-Woman to her dad because of his whole demeanour about it.
Just like trans people just want somewhere to feel safe whilst they're getting vilified to their faces by their so-called "family" and feeling like they can't open up to them about it.

And then you throw in the "Protect Trans Kids" flag on her wall, her dad wearing a trans flag on his uniform and the use of the trans flag colours when she comes out and talks to her dad about being Spider-Woman and wanting him to accept her.

It's the use of flags and colours that make this an allegory and Spider-Verse is extremely rich in using colours to mean certain things.

No one's going with "the trans character died after mutating into a monster after taking a serum" for hopefully obvious reasons.
That’s fair, I missed a good chunk of the beginning because my family was debating with me that they were going to the right theater number( they weren’t lol).I got there when she was about to be arrested . So I missed a portion of the opening.

As for the Peter part, much like Gwen’s story it could be unintentional. I would also take less as trans = monster, and more that bullying and abuse of people who are trans is ****ed up and not ok. The lizard part could have been more so because that’s just how her comics origin goes and not much was put into that thought beyond that. But again, probably not the case with their intention.

But the color theory for Gwen works well within this theme, because it’s all about the color symbolization.

I would be surprised either way if we get any official confirmation though. Granted who knows how the third could go down.

At the end of the day, intentional or not, I can see the argument that the typical tropes of spider-men’s secret identity work well as an allegory, even if they never realized it at the time. Which honestly, goes to show why the character stands the test of time and is this popular.

Last edited:

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
Also can I say it’s wild that the two best Marvel Movies since Endgame….

Weren't technically made by marvel employees.

It says a lot about how third parties can see the flaws with these past movies and know how to correct them, but Feige was blinded by them.

It makes James Gunn’s superhero fatigue interview a pretty interesting talking point.
the like to dislike ratio though lol. Especially when it only has 10 million views.

Yeah. Ngl the bigotry on that site has gotten way worse, and I'm getting notifs for vile **** even though the only things I follow on Twitter is sports, animation/anime, and gaming.
It’s still weird that I don’t have this issue but I’m glad. I’ll get occasional posts from accounts I don’t follow, but they are always in my range of interests. Thankfully I don’t see that type of garbage unless I go into the replies section on certain posts.

Weirdest thing on my timeline this week was the Tears Of The Kingdom AU where Zelda frees the nipple lol

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
A pig is a Spider Man? "Acceptable"

A trans person is a Spider Man/Woman? "NOW WAIT A SECOND HERE"

People, I swear.
It's funny cause Gwen wouldn't the first, Ultimate Jessica Drew is really weird with gender cause of her origin story and she's in the movie too.

As for another bit of trans Gwen subtext, there's a joke I make about her calling Jessica Drew mommy but that scene does reinforce the subtext about more she says that after Jessica says "We don't know the sex" rather than gender, meaning Gwen instantly recognized that she's around an ally and flubs out the "Can you adopt me" line right after having a fight with her dad

Also speaking of Gwen Stacey I have been missed out on her comics for a long time and bruh what the hell, she's gotten a symbiote suit arc but keeps the symbiote suit cause she's built different and can take it, wonder if they work with that on her individual movie

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
It's funny cause Gwen wouldn't the first, Ultimate Jessica Drew is really weird with gender cause of her origin story and she's in the movie too.

As for another bit of trans Gwen subtext, there's a joke I make about her calling Jessica Drew mommy but that scene does reinforce the subtext about more she says that after Jessica says "We don't know the sex" rather than gender, meaning Gwen instantly recognized that she's around an ally and flubs out the "Can you adopt me" line right after having a fight with her dad

Also speaking of Gwen Stacey I have been missed out on her comics for a long time and bruh what the hell, she's gotten a symbiote suit arc but keeps the symbiote suit cause she's built different and can take it, wonder if they work with that on her individual movie
I just a tweet pointing out that she’s apparently had the Symboite the past 7 years in comics and not actual powers.

Which is wild that’s it’s been that long and I’ve never seen anything about that till now.

Shroob

Sup?
Decided to transfer all of my Living Dex into Home and then back.

That sure was a mess.

Error codes aplenty and once even crashed the app. Thankfully I didn't lose anything.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I just a tweet pointing out that she’s apparently had the Symboite the past 7 years in comics and not actual powers.

Which is wild that’s it’s been that long and I’ve never seen anything about that till now.
I haven't read the comics is quite a while, but all I saw was her Gwenom look which is ****ing sick dude

Reactions: Z25

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
That email of the site's torch-passing got me to look here, I'll admit, and now I gotta give my money to Warchamp's LLC or whatever shell corp he's got going on. Lotta Spiderverse talk here, too. I am hoping to go and see it later this week with the missus, but we'll see. Being a grown-up sucks.

If you have taken anything away from me and my time here, it should be this: Never get old.

Smooth Criminal

Last edited:

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
I will say that a trans Spider-Man (or Woman in this case) reinforces the idea of "anybody can wear the mask", and in a franchise that has a Spider T-Rex and a Spider-Man that's made up of millions of spiders after they ate a man, I find it very odd that this is where people draw the line.
I still dont understand how a t rex became a Spider person

As for the trans stuff, i got told the stfu on twitter for saying this, but im basicly waiting for official confirmation before i come to a conclution. Yes yes the colors are in there but i wanna hear it from the horses mouth But twitter doesnt realize that doesnt mean i would hate a character be trans

Last edited:

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
I still dont understand how a t rex became a Spider person

As for the trans stuff, i got told the stfu on twitter for saying this, but im basicly waiting for official confirmation before i come to a conclution. Yes yes the colors are in there but i wanna hear it from the horses mouth But twitter doesnt realize that doesnt mean i would hate a character be trans
He got bit by radioactive alien spiders from a meteor.

Also, it's just a headcannon, some people may take it a bit too far, but I can't fault people for junping to that conclusion. Sometimes, things are better left implicitly stated that explicitly.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
I haven't read the comics is quite a while, but all I saw was her Gwenom look which is ****ing sick dude
before her Gwenom phase, the Cindy Moon of Earth 65 snatched up her powers, and in return the science made Symbiote ended up onto her. Some Kingpin/Matt Murdock and epic Gwenom stuff later, Gwen stayed attached with it to both hero up and gain a buncha tiny spiders as friends (she feeds them kelp chips instead of chocolate or brains in order to not get loopy while fighting).

Nowadays she’s Ghost-Spider most of the time, but goes Gwenom when angry or in stealth mode (doesn’t lose control either way as a benefit)

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
I'm not usually one to jump the gun on calling characters LGBTQ+ just because you can read allegory like...

If Gwen has a trans flag in her room that probably means the writers are trying to tell us something. That's pretty on the nose.

I'm not going to go fight Twitter wars over it but c'mon, do you really think they put that flag there just to say she's a really good ally to trans people specifically?

But I haven't watched Spiderverse yet so what do I know?

Noipoi

Howdy!
I'm so happy that this incredible movie's online discussion will be overtaken by arguments about this one little background detail.

So, so very happy.

Before anyone jumps down my throat, no I am not upset that a character is possibly trans and I'm not upset that this possibility is being talked about. But you KNOW it's gonna get ugly, and you know the inane squabbling is gonna dominate the discourse. When a movie this good deserves anything but to be the battleground for another debate about wokeness...
It's annoying :239:

Jondolio

Smash Hero
Watched Across the Spider-Verse again.

Still an incredible movie. I can now confidently call Hobie one of my favorite characters.

Also will likely watch it a third time with my dad

Top Bottom