• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social The Social Thread 3.2.1

Favorite announcement of this Direct?

• Total voters

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
Silksong has been delayed

I could go for low hanging fruit and dunk on Hollow Knight fans, but I won't and instead will say that I'm 99% sure something went wrong with Silksong's development and it's been in development hell for a long time. This is gonna sound entitled but I really hope they got it squared away because you can only give people so much time before they start questioning what going on behind the scenes and/or lose faith. Overly delayed games with long periods of radio silence usually ends in disaster and I hope that isn't the case here.

KillerCage

Smash Master
Let's play a game.

You just won a contest, and are having dinner with Sakurai. Sakurai says that you'll determine the next character, but the character that gets added is related to the food you pick.

What do you order off the menu?
Fish n chips so that Smash players suffer the same pain as Guilty Gear players...

Last edited:

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
Oh also FNAF Movie trailer got leaked, and Universal is going nuclear as a response.

Oh also, it gets better: the leaker signed an NDA, leaked the trailer, and then for whatever reason, decides to tattle on himself with a full blown face reveal, begging Universal to not sue him because he leaked it "for the people."

Kid ruined his own life for clout. Sad to see

Last edited:

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
Alright. I've teased it enough. Here are the changes I would make to the movesets of the characters from Smash 64 (plus Dark Samus). Melee is up next.
Mario
  • Forward Tilt: Mario attacks with the Tanooki Tail from the Tanooki Leaf Power-Up, first introduced in Super Mario Bros. 3.
  • Up Tilt: While still an uppercut, it is now animated in a way to resemble the iconic “Mario Punching a Block” animation.
  • Down Tilt: His sweep kick from Super Mario 64.
  • Neutral Aerial: Now a spin attack resembling the iconic attack from Super Mario Galaxy.
  • Forward Aerial: Now a dive resembling the one introduced in Super Mario Odyssey.
  • Side Smash: Now a Long Jump resembling the one Mario has had since Super Mario 64.
  • Up Smash: Now a Backward Somersault attack resembling the one Mario has had since Super Mario 64.
  • Down Smash: Now a ground pound resembling the one Mario has had since Super Mario 64.
  • Side Special (Cappy Toss): Mario throws his hat forward, which spins in place for a moment, dealing damage, before returning to Mario. It cannot capture his opponents this time, but he can still jump onto and off of it for extra height. He can also throw it up and down by quickly pressing in those directions after b is pressed but before the hat is thrown. In the same vein, quickly pressing b a second time will cause Cappy to rapidly spin around Mario’s body.
  • Up Special (Cape): Mario dons the iconic cape feather and rises rapidly into the air before gently floating back down. Expert maneuvering of the control stick will allow him to keep his height as long as he is moving forward in one direction while doing so.
  • Final Smash (Giga Cat Mario): Mario transforms with the Giga Bell and does a cinematic attack where he divebombs into the trapped opponents with the signature Cat Dive attack.
Donkey Kong
  • Neutral attack: Modified to now resemble his three hit combo from Donkey Kong 64. A quick forward swipe with his right hand, followed by a backhand from the same hand, followed by a quick ground slap from both.
  • Forward Tilt: A stationary version of his running kick attack from Donkey Kong 64. Donkey Kong balances on both his arms to kick with both hands.
  • Down aerial: Now visually reminiscent of his enemy stomp animation from Donkey Kong Country Returns and Tropical Freeze where he appears to thrust both arms downwards.
  • Pummel: The former inspiration for his Final Smash in Super Smash Bros. Ultimate now becomes the inspiration for his pummel. Donkey Kong rapidly jabs at the grabbed opponent with both fists.
  • Neutral Special (Coconut Shooter): Donkey Kong fires a single spurt from his Coconut Gun which has the ability to home in on nearby foes. Holding the button allows him to aim the shot.
  • Side Special (Classic Barrel): Donkey Kong takes it old school and throws a barrel forward to damage his foes. The barrel can either be a normal rolling one or a special bouncing one depending on the randomized cycle.
  • Up Special (Launch Barrel): A Launch Barrel spawns, encapsulating Donkey Kong, and blasts him upwards in a straight line. Donkey Kong can influence his own direction in the air either left or right. Other foes can use the barrel as well before it de-spawns.
  • Final Smash (Bongo Blast): Originally from Donkey Kong 64, Donkey Kong does a quick jam on his bongos which causes an explosion of musical power, damaging all foes within a certain range.
Link
  • Dash Attack: Link’s dash attack that he uses with the Pegasus Boots in his home series.
  • Forward Smash: Link charges up a blast from the Fire Rod and casts it forward a small distance, similar to Mega Man’s Charge Shot.
  • Up Smash: Link lights and raises his Lamp item, creating a radiating blast of damage which blasts away foes and unfortunately extinguishes the flame.
  • Down Smash: Link slams the Megaton Hammer in front of him, creating a shockwave along the ground.
  • Grab: Link grabs the opponant with his hands the same way he does in Twilight Princess’s Sumo Wrestling minigame.
  • Pummel: Link repeatedly strikes the opponant with the gauntlets in the same way he does when Sumo Wrestling in Twilight Princess.
  • Forward Throw: An imitation of the animation where Link throws boulders forwards with the Silver gauntlets.
  • Back Throw: An imitation of the animation where Link throws large stone pillars with the golden gauntlets in Ocarina of Time.
  • Up Throw: An imitation of Link’s animation when throwing goats in Twilight Princess, though ending with the oponant being sent in an upwards direction.
  • Up Special (Double Clawshot) Link fires a clawshot at the nearest target and zooms towards it. He is then allowed to quickly aim a second clawshot to another target and zoom towards it for as long as the first one holds on. If the shot’s hooked on to an enemy, then you only have a split second to fire a second clawshot.
  • Final Smash (Great Fairy): Inspired by Link’s Great Fairy weapon class in Hyrule Warriors, Link opens a bottle releasing The Great fairy who creates a pool of water that sucks in any enemies nearby. She then emerges from the pool, creating a burst of energy that repels any enemies nearby.
Samus Aran
  • Forward Tilt: Now changed to resemble the animation of Samus’s Melee Counter in Metroid: Samus Returns and Metroid: Dread.
  • Neutral Aerial: Samus performs a single rotating screw attack, damaging opponents around her with it’s aura.
  • The Neutral special is modified to more closely resemble how firing and charging works in games like Metroid Dread. Rapidly mashing allows you to spam quick shots, whereas deliberately holding down the button charges the attack.
  • Side Special (Missile Launcher/Storm Missile): An aiming beam is projected from the canon which you can move across the screen. It can lock-on multiple targets. If you lock-on for only a small amount of time, the icon will resemble the Metroid Prime Lock-On icon and only one missile will fire at the opponant. If the beam is able to be trained on the opponant for long enough, it will change to the Metroid Dread locked-on icon and three Storm Missiles will be shot out. You are not able to move or defend while aiming missiles.
  • Up Special (Shinespark): Samus rockets upwards while coated in energy. When used in the air, she can shinespark in one of five directions (left, diagonal up-left, up, diagonal up-right, and right). When used on the ground the attack can be charged by holding the button and running forward for a long distance.
  • Final Smash (Hyper Beam): Functionally the same, but cosmetically updated to resemble the ending of Metroid Dread with the large red Hyper Beam and the Metroid Suit. Keen eyed players will notice a small X-Parasite entering her body after the beam attack ends when she returns to normal, implied to be the Quiet Robe X Parasite.
Dark Samus
  • Forward Smash: Dark Samus fires a blast of Phazon energy forward while encased in an orb of energy, similar to her boss fight in Metroid Prime 2: Echoes.
  • Down Smash: One of her attacks from when she was a Smash 4 Assist Trophy. She generates Phazon tentacles to erupt from the ground.
  • Neutral Special (Phazon Volley): One of her attacks she used as an Assist Trophy in Smash 4. Dark Samus fires a volley from her Arm Cannon straight forward, dealing multiple low damage hits and knocking opponents away on the final hit.
  • Side Special (Homing Phazon): Her final attack from her appearance as an Assist Trophy in Smash 4. She fires four homing energy spheres into the air.
  • Up Special (Dark Spark): An attack she used as a boss in Metroid Prime 3: Corruption. Dark Samus rockets into the air and then slams back down creating a powerful shockwave of Phazon energy. Will cause a self-destruct if used over a bottomless pit.
  • Down Special (Dark Echo): Dark Samus created a Sark Echo from her own body which functions the same way as the Ditto Assist Trophy, accept much more fragile.
  • Final Smash (Metroid Prime): Using the power of the Smash Ball, Dark Samus temporarily returns to her form as Metroid Prime (Exoskeleton Form) where it rams forward, sending the opponents into a cinematic Final Smash where it rapidly uses Ultrafrigid Breath, Particle Wave Projectors, and finally Multi-Missiles. Apon returning to the stage you will see Metroid Prime’s Core Form morphing into Dark Samus for the battle to resume.
Yoshi
  • Dash Attack: A fire lights under Yoshi’s tail when he dashes, as if he had eaten a Dash Pepper, which he then strikes with during the Dash Attack.
  • Up Aerial: Yoshi quickly inflates to blast away opponents, similar to inflating with a Blimp Fruit.
  • Down Smash: Yoshi smashes onto the ground and creates “Sand Clouds” on either side of him to damage his opponents. Similar to what happens when he gets a Yellow Shell in Super Mario World.
  • Side Special (Watermelon): Yoshi eats his Watermelon and is then temporarily able to use it’s projectile. Green watermelons allow him a machine-gun like shot of seeds. Red Watermelons allow him either three waves of fireballs or one stream of fire breath. And Blue Watermelons allow him to fire three blasts of icy wind which freeze opponents.
  • Up Special (Winged Yoshi): Yoshi grows wings in a similar way to the power-up from Super Mario World and then flies upwards.
  • Down Special (Egg Throw): A reworked version of his Egg Throwing moved to the Down Special that gives it a Yoshi’s Island style aiming cursor which moves on an angled axis and allows him to strafe forwards and backwards while aiming.
  • Block Special (Select Melon): A new move which allows Yoshi to select which of his three watermelons he wishes to use. The default is the Green Watermelon, but this special will bring up a menu that allows you to pick Red or Blue.
  • Final Smash: Only a small cosmetic addition. The Yoshi you are playing as can now be seen at the head of the heard using a Super Yoshi power-up from Yoshi’s New Island.
Kirby
  • Forward Tilt: His slide attack first introduced in Kirby’s Adventure. He does move forward while using it.
  • Down Special: Additional Stone Transformations (A Metal Barrel from Donkey Kong Country, A Geodude, an Octopus Statue from the Mother series, a Rock Pikmin, a fossil from Animal Crossing, a Medusa Head Statue from Castlevania, a Quarry from Banjo-Kazooie, a statue of Rock Howard from SNK’s Fighting Games, and a Minecraft block)
  • Final Smash (Hypernova): Kirby eats a Miracle Fruit and inhales enemies and items from within a set distance. Items are automatically destroyed. Enemies over a certain percent damage will be automatically killed, while those under said threshold will be spat back out and launched.
Fox McCloud
  • No changes
Pikachu
  • Down aerial: Now resembles Iron Tail as depicted in the anime. Pikachu’s tail becomes coated in energy as it strikes in a downward direction.
  • Neutral Special (Electro Ball): The same move, but renamed to Electro Ball, which lines up better with what’s depicted in Pikachu’s move-pool in the games.
  • Side Special (Wild Charge): Effectively it’s old side special but now with an electrical elemental effect and a different animation.
  • Up Special (Rising Voltage): Pikachu created a column of electricity underneath itself to launch upwards. The column can cause damage and electrifies the ground underneath it for a short moment, similar to electric terrain.
  • Final Smash (Hyper Z-Move Combo): Pikachu uses the power of the Smash Ball to harness the power of his Z-Energy, trapping opponents in an electrical aura warping them to a cutscene. It first uses 10,000,000 Volt Thunderbolt to strike it’s foes before rocketing into them with Catastropika.
Luigi
  • Forward Tilt: Similar to Mario’s new forward tilt, but he attacks with the Kitsune tail and is wearing the Kitsune ears from his Kitsune suit Powerup.
  • Up Tilt: While still an uppercut, it is now animated in a way to resemble the iconic “Mario Punching a Block” animation.
  • Neutral Special (Thunderhand): His equivalent to Mario’s fire abilities from Mario and Luigi: Superstar Saga, Luigi charges up an electric orb and fires it forward. The animation and attack is much quicker however, to match the timing of Mario’s Fireball.
  • Forward Smash: Luigi’s former side special, the Green Missile.
  • Down Smash: Luigi’s former down Special, the Luigi Cyclone.
  • Side Special (Iceskate): Luigi assumes his Ice Form from Super Mario Galaxy and skates forward. While in this state his body reflects projectiles and it can be used as a horizontal recovery, but any direct physical attacks will still hurt him. The icy ground he leaves behind is slippery and can cause tripping.
  • Up Special (Spring Jump): Based on his Spring Jump from Super Paper Mario, Luigi crouches and holds a charging animation before rocketing upwards with a trail of stars following behind him. It sends him off screen but will not KO him unless you manage to attack him during the attack. He will always land safely on the ground unless he’s attacked. It damages opponents he hits on the way up. If he hits a ceiling on the ascent he will gently float down in a helpless state.
  • Down Special (Poltergust): A tricky special move to use. Normally when used, it flashes the Strobulb from the nozzle which can temporarily stun opponents. This will also leave opponents in a “Strobed” state, which causes the move to react differently. If used on a “strobed” foe, the Poltergust will instead vacuum in the foe. The foe can try to pull away, but as long as Luigi keeps the vortex trained on them they will continue to be drawn closer. Once they reach the nozzle their butt will be humorously stuck in the hose before Luigi fires them away. However, if that launch would kill the opponant anyway (using the same prediction algorithm the game uses to give us the close-up shots) instead of launching them they will be pulled into the Poltergust’s bag while their Star-KO sound plays.
  • Final Smash (Giant Dreamy Luigi): Luigi falls asleep on the Pillow Form of Prince Dreambert which creates a portal into the Dream World over his head, sucking in foes. The trapped foes then watch as hundreds of Luiginoids merge into Dreamy Luigi to form Giant Luigi who then steps on the foes.
Ness
  • Final Smash (PK Rockin Ω): In a replication of the attack animation from the game, a psychedelic orb of energy swirls and coalesces around Ness before violently exploding outward. The closer you are to Ness, the more damage and knockback you take.
Captain Falcon
  • A cosmetic change to his final smash where additional cars follow behind him, as if he is leading in a race.
Jigglypuff
  • Forward Tilt: It’s former side special, Pound. Appropriately balanced.
  • Neutral Special (Sing): Jigglypuff’s former Up Special relocated to its Neutral Special
  • Side Special (Rollout): Jigglypuff’s former Neutral Special relocated to its Side Special.
  • Up Special (Gravity): A reversed version of the move Gravity which causes Jigglypuff’s to become much lighter and float upwards, allowing it to recover extra height. Unfortunately, it also becomes more easily launched and unable to touch the ground until the effects of the move wear off.
  • Final Smash (Perish Song): Jigglypuff sings the forbidden Perish Song causing all of it’s foes within a certain vocal radius (a larger version of it’s Sing radius) to instantly die. Fortunately, this Jigglypuff has been specially Soundproofed and will not die apon hearing it’s own song.
Hmm, I can't help but feel something's missing

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
it's just one ****ing guy making Pit look like a massive threat in Smash

Edit: oh my **** Zackray got Pit to fight Steve all the way through a Game 5

Last edited:

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
I'd rather play LTTP, WW, and Minish Cap simply because I got more invested in them
Based.
Let's play a game.

You just won a contest, and are having dinner with Sakurai. Sakurai says that you'll determine the next character, but the character that gets added is related to the food you pick.

What do you order off the menu?
Fish and Chips for Layton
Don-chan from Taiko is hard because he just a Taiko Drum from Japan

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Jk, I don't have opinions ever.

That said, the Zelda franchise as a whole is so much more interesting when you explore beyind Hyrule. Termina, the Great Sea, the Minish World, Dark World, Lorule, etc are so much more interesting then exploring Hyeule again, and I think that's because they put extra care in making those worlds so much more alive than Hyrule.

Now for my hotter take?

I really did enjoy the game but I think BoTW may be one of my least favorite Zeldas, and I think that's solely because there isn't much of a structure. I didn't care for majority of the characters, I didn't think the story was anything special, puzzle solving was kinda nonexistant, and the lack of enemy variety made it somewhat stale after some time. I haven't played many Zelda games, but I'd rather play LTTP, WW, and Minish Cap simply because I got more invested in them
I'm mostly done with my BotW replay to the point I just need to do 2 more Divine Beasts but that's fair, the world feels kinda empty with how little people you come across and while it works for a vibe of a sort of post apocalyptic setting the game's somewhat going for, it means that you really have to go out of your way to find people, there's interesting worldbuilding stuff like the Yiga clan and a sidequest about an ex member, but due to the more open nature of the game, it's highly likely you will just outright miss it. I'm still having fun with basic exploration and "Oooh what is that" but the game itself doesn't feel alive in the way Majora's Mask does. OoT suffers a similar problem with how empty Hyrule Field is now that I think about it

Shroob

Sup?
Oh also FNAF Movie trailer got leaked, and Universal is going nuclear as a response.

Oh also, it gets better: the leaker signed an NDA, leaked the trailer, and then for whatever reason, decides to tattle on himself with a full blown face reveal, begging Universal to not sue him because he leaked it "for the people."

Kid ruined his own life for clout. Sad to see
I'm legit curious to see it.

If only because that movie's been in production hell for years.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
I kind of want to see smash get representation from other companies in the N64 “Dream Team” lineup besides Rare next time. Not necessarily as characters. But definitely assist trophies and spirits.

Shroob

Sup?
I kind of want to see smash get representation from other companies in the N64 “Dream Team” lineup besides Rare next time. Not necessarily as characters. But definitely assist trophies and spirits.
What other big companies that supported the N64 aside from Rare are there? The N64 was pretty void of a lot of 3rd party support due to the cartridge-based games costing more to make than CDs. Only one I can really think of is Ubisoft for Rayman 2...? That's all I can think of off the top of my head.

Pink Yoshi

Smash Champion
You guys remember when the meme of Chris McLean's list of crimes was a thing?
1683704561609.png

Well, I think I just found a character whose list of crimes makes Chris look saintly in comparison.

I'd share it, but some of the crimes make me feel straight-up uncomfy and I don't wanna make anyone ELSE feel uncomfy, unless y'all really wanna see it...but WHEW LORDY

Noipoi

Howdy!
You guys remember when the meme of Chris McLean's list of crimes was a thing?

Well, I think I just found a character whose list of crimes makes Chris look saintly in comparison.

I'd share it, but some of the crimes make me feel straight-up uncomfy and I don't wanna make anyone ELSE feel uncomfy, unless y'all really wanna see it...but WHEW LORDY
Do it, coward.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I’M IN A GLASS CASE OF EMOTION!

I start a new job on the 22nd, but my last day with my current job is tomorrow… the job was rough but the coworkers were great and it mid key hurts to say goodbye… I’m leaving emails with my contact info if they wanna keep in touch. I’ll miss them all and I kinda hope we see each other again some day.

feeling real nostalgic lately… wondering how almost everyone who disappeared from my life is doing, hoping they’re ok and maybe we’ll meet again. I hate being sentimental 🥲

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
What other big companies that supported the N64 aside from Rare are there? The N64 was pretty void of a lot of 3rd party support due to the cartridge-based games costing more to make than CDs. Only one I can really think of is Ubisoft for Rayman 2...? That's all I can think of off the top of my head.
There were some big companies such as Capcom and Midway that did some support, but they were usually watered down ports of Playstation games. There were also some unique Castlevania games... which were significantly worse than the Playstation exclusives. Otherwise it was non-existant, definitely nowhere near enough to make a "dream team".

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
The Nintendo 64 dream team was a special thing where certain third party studios would get to work closer with Nintendo than usual to supply Nintendo with games. The lineup and what games they made can be found here.

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
The Nintendo 64 dream team was a special thing where certain third party studios would get to work closer with Nintendo than usual to supply Nintendo with games. The lineup and what games they made can be found here.
Interesting read, although Nintendo calling this a "dream team" when it's a bunch of d-list companies is something. Doesn't help that a good chunk went belly up and are defunt, either that or they're a part of Warner or Rockstar now. And then there's Rareware

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
I'm trying out the Street Fighter 6 demo and I'm getting a lot of good laughs out of the character creator.

If I do get this game, I'll probably wait until the inevitable definitive edition comes out, knowing how much fighting games can cost these days.

Last edited:

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
another day another time for Marvel to say “**** 616 Peter Parker” for no reason. I wonder what they have in store this week

Top Bottom