• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social The Social Thread 3.2.1

Favorite announcement of this Direct?

• Total voters

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
So lets reflect back to when Sora was revealed.

What are everyone's overall thoughts and opinions on Ultimate's roster as a whole in terms of its characters and diversity? How would you personally rate it and the newcomers?
Banjo was snoozeworthy. Final answer

Noipoi

Howdy!
Banjo was snoozeworthy. Final answer
Nah my man I can’t accept that.

No it wasn’t as big as Sephiroth or Sora. Maybe you’re not a Banjo fan and that’s alright. But the pure joy I and many others felt that day, seeing them reunited with Nintendo in the biggest gaming crossover on earth will always be, it just can’t be written off as objectively snoozeworthy.

Those characters aren’t getting a new game any time soon, but at least they’re still loved. Even if only by a few.

dezeray112

Smash Hero
They are losing money, but it was not because of their movies.

External factors (and there was a huge one) did a huge number on Disney.
I will add that Bob Chapek was highly responsible for making a number of mistakes during his time at CEO whether this was from relegating several Pixar films to Disney+, the Scarlett Johansson case or even saying that adults don't watch animated films (which is a rather tone deaf message to say.)

Chapek is someone who is more quantity over quality in contrast Iger who was reinstated last year is the complete opposite as he is more in to quality than quantity in which I hope that he can put all departments within Disney back in the right direction.

On Strange Worlds, I do believe one of the factors that the film did not generate well in the box office also had to do with the lack of promotion and marketing which had an impact on its sales.

Last edited:

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Implying Ice Climbers and Gyromite isn’t gaming kino

View attachment 371215
personally I like Ice Climber but admittedly the physics kinda suck, also the game gets very hard very fast so I never play it for long. At least the first couple of mountains are alright though, I forgot which one has clouds at the top level (third maybe?) but that’s when it starts to really suck; it’s too hard.

tbh though I probably only like the game because of the characters themselves, they were favorites of mine when I first played Brawl and still are. I was disappointed when they weren’t in Smash 4. Still, the first couple of mountains in their game can be nice fun, I’d like to see a remake or fanmade DX version that fixes the game’s issues.

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
Nah my man I can’t accept that.

No it wasn’t as big as Sephiroth or Sora. Maybe you’re not a Banjo fan and that’s alright. But the pure joy I and many others felt that day, seeing them reunited with Nintendo in the biggest gaming crossover on earth will always be, it just can’t be written off as objectively snoozeworthy.

Those characters aren’t getting a new game any time soon, but at least they’re still loved. Even if only by a few.
He was just anoozweorthy for me because I grew up in the Gamecube-PS2 to Wii era and Banjo was basically 6 feet under so I barely got the hype.

Also I was a salty Steve supporter so that may have soured thinfs.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
It's interesting that there has only been two known 2D Mario platformers that were canceled: Virtual Boy Mario Land for Virtual Boy and Super Mario's Wacky Worlds for Philips CD-i

Sadly both were canceled for the exact same reason: Their consoles both sold like doodoo.

Pink Yoshi

Smash Champion
The way I see it, mega-corporations like Disney are just a fact of life, like death, taxes and Owen being objectively the superior winner of the first Total Drama season.

They're not good for the world, but it's not easy to change their place in the world.

What we can do is just try to make the world a better place by showing kindness to others, and helping people struggling in their lives in any way we can. As well as help the planet itself. We can all make a difference

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
I'm talking about if characters were adding in the current year.
This actually had me thinking: what if Smash came out in 2023 and was a brand new franchise? Third Parties companies are on board, and the main goal is to appeal to the current gen like Smash 64 did. This is on the basis that Smash had ZERO influence on how these franchises are today

So I made a controversial roster
SSBU_Character_Select_DLC.jpeg

Some things I made mistakes on:
Ness would be a ? because the indie scene is keeping Eartbound alive. Lucas is still gone.
Palutena would be cut.

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
This actually had me thinking: what if Smash came out in 2023 and was a brand new franchise? Third Parties companies are on board, and the main goal is to appeal to the current gen like Smash 64 did. This is on the basis that Smash had ZERO influence on how these franchises are today

View attachment 371228
If this were based on current year then:

No way in hell Jigglypuff's in. They were added in due to anime popularity and being an easy pseudo clone at the time borrowing a lot of Kirby's attributes, and deadass the only reason she's here now is due to her Original 12 status.

I could see Megaman still being here, considering he is iconic even in the modern time.

Toon Link's debatable. I'd say he stays since they still do use him regurally.

Olimar probably stays, though there's an argument that Alph replaces him.

Lucario and Greninja are hard to pin. I'd say yes for Lucario since BDSP and PLA wasn't that long ago, but unsure on Greninja.

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
If this were based on current year then:

No way in hell Jigglypuff's in. They were added in due to anime popularity and being an easy pseudo clone at the time borrowing a lot of Kirby's attributes, and deadass the only reason she's here now is due to her Original 12 status.
Fair
I could see Megaman still being here, considering he is iconic even in the modern time.
For sure, but they may try to prop up Resident Evil instead.

Toon Link's debatable. I'd say he stays since they still do use him regurally.
I think it'd be Skyward Sword Link if anything (caise SS HD)

Olimar probably stays, though there's an argument that Alph replaces him.
Either him or Pikmon 4 captains

Lucario and Greninja are hard to pin. I'd say yes for Lucario since BDSP and PLA wasn't that long ago, but unsure on Greninja.
Greninja is staying because he was voted #1 most popular Pokemon twice in a row. Lucario is still very popular (placed on the latest poll) and both were big parts of Ash's team. Incineroar is getting replaced with whatever Gen 9 mon TPC wants to hype up as the next Greninja since Incineroar flopped.

Shroob

Sup?
For sure, but they may try to prop up Resident Evil instead.
Honestly, I think Resi doesn't have a shot for Smash. Resident Evil's always going to have the issue of "Zombies" to deal with, and when we got the Spirit Board, we didn't get a single zombie or BOW as a spirit. The game's nowhere near as gory as other horror games, but it's probably not easy to make Resident Evil E+10 friendly.
I think it'd be Skyward Sword Link if anything (caise SS HD)
While that's fair, I dunno, I can't really see us getting 2 Links with basically the exact same body shape.

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
Honestly, I think Resi doesn't have a shot for Smash. Resident Evil's always going to have the issue of "Zombies" to deal with, and when we got the Spirit Board, we didn't get a single zombie or BOW as a spirit. The game's nowhere near as gory as other horror games, but it's probably not easy to make Resident Evil E+10 friendly.
They could pull what they did for Castlevania and just heavily censor it or something, idk.

While that's fair, I dunno, I can't really see us getting 2 Links with basically the exact same body shape.
I mean they threw in two child Links, it's mot out the question.

I got no rebuttal

Last edited:

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804

View attachment 371228

Some things I made mistakes on:
Ness would be a ? because the indie scene is keeping Eartbound alive. Lucas is still gone.
Palutena would be cut.
I think Belmonts would stay and Snake's a more precarious position with how dead Metal Gear's been since Survive whilst Castlevania at least has an ongoing Netflix series and a fair few ports.
Lucina would probably be a ? because she's the most popular Awakening character even before she got in Smash
Olimar would be a ? for me too, maybe leaning toward safe with Pikmin 4 coming and Pikmin 3 having been ported already.

Shroob

Sup?
They could pull what they did for Castlevania and just heavily censor it or something, idk.

I mean they threw in two child Links, it's mot out the question.

I got no rebuttal
Honestly, iirc, they only censored 2 things about Castlevania, both being related to blood. Dracula's spirit, which had a blood puddle at the base of his cape, and Carmilla's bloody tears.

Otherwise, the series surprisingly went untouched, including all the religious imagery which would have made 90's soccer moms scream.

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804

Shroob

Sup?

Ice type lmao
Strap in.

We're gonna be waiting on Home compatibility until at least the Galarian starters are done.

............probably the Kalos ones too at this rate.

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
I think Belmonts would stay and Snake's a more precarious position with how dead Metal Gear's been since Survive whilst Castlevania at least has an ongoing Netflix series and a fair few ports.
Lucina would probably be a ? because she's the most popular Awakening character even before she got in Smash
Olimar would be a ? for me too, maybe leaning toward safe with Pikmin 4 coming and Pikmin 3 having been ported already.
I agree that Castlevania would stay, but it'd probably be Trevor if a Belmont, and I was thinking it'd probably be Alucard this time around (my bias is in effect here)

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
Wild that at this rate, S/V's getting Home later than BDSP did.
On one hand, I get it. These starters have been in the game since day 1 and they have/had Tera raid events planned for them, and they wanna push them out since who the **** is going to care about them once Home compatibility is out.

On the other hand

Man

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
I agree that Castlevania would stay, but it'd probably be Trevor if a Belmont, and I was thinking it'd probably be Alucard this time around (my bias is in effect here)
I was thinking Trevor would replace one or the other.
I'd say Simon's gone because everything they do in Smash is mostly Richter's in the first place and Simon's getting skipped for Richter in the Netflix show anyway.

And a 100% yes on Alucard being there.

Shroob

Sup?
Honestly, I kinda wonder if Home support is like, just a mess on the backend.

These games are BUGGY, and we saw what happened to people when they tried to connecting to Pokemon GO.

All the Pokemon that have Home support are already fully functional and programmed into the game, so I legit don't know why it's taking soo long.

Top Bottom