• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social The Social Thread 3.2.1

Favorite announcement of this Direct?

• Total voters

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
Honestly, I kinda wonder if Home support is like, just a mess on the backend.

These games are BUGGY, and we saw what happened to people when they tried to connecting to Pokemon GO.

All the Pokemon that have Home support are already fully functional and programmed into the game, so I legit don't know why it's taking soo long.
It's most definitely the case, and they're probably taking all the time they can get to get it up and running without breaking the game.

And it can take a while, remember how long it took for Wonder Trading to be added into BDSP? Of course you don't, cause the game was dead by the time it happened.

Shroob

Sup?
Fun fact

If you wonder trade the day before a Tera raid goes live, there's a high chance you'll get a 1st form evo of the starter.

They flip the flag to make it legally tradeable a day+ before the event even starts.

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
Fun fact

If you wonder trade the day before a Tera raid goes live, there's a high chance you'll get a 1st form evo of the starter.

They flip the flag to make it legally tradeable a day+ before the event even starts.
tfw you wonder trade for a sobble and instead recieve a CryptoMon, an unreleased mon that cryptomines your Switch and bricks it.

Shroob

Sup?
tfw you wonder trade for a sobble and instead recieve a CryptoMon, an unreleased mon that cryptomines your Switch and bricks it.
Hey Kids! Wanna get your favorite [insert Pokemon here] but in SHINY?! Are you tired of being the only [man, woman, or child] on the playground without your [artificial rarity trophy]? Then all we need is your parent's credit card number and those WACKY 3 digits on the back!

1682295332526.png

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
I don’t care what anyone says. I still like the DmC reboot more than classic DMC. I like it’s story better, I like it’s style better, I like the way it plays better. I just like it better. I’m not gonna say that classic DMC is bad. I’ve played all those games and like them a fair bit. But DmC is just more my preference.

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
I applaud the translators for the Ninjala anime being able to make Bruce's jokes and bad puns work fit with the situations he's in while working in English.

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
I don’t care what anyone says. I still like the DmC reboot more than classic DMC. I like it’s story better, I like it’s style better, I like the way it plays better. I just like it better. I’m not gonna say that classic DMC is bad. I’ve played all those games and like them a fair bit. But DmC is just more my preference.
Well, you're definitely free to have that take.

It's a scalding one for sure but it's yours.

cashregister9

Smash Hero
>Keiji Inafune liked this.

Noipoi

Howdy!
The one where Dante looks nothing like Dante and blatantly mocks the other games that people actually liked?

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Don'te/DINO (Dante In Name Only)

Nothing but a pothead imposter that enjoys to smoke weed.

Shroob

Sup?
In DmC's defense

It's the only game that lets you kill totally not Bill o'Reiley

But honestly the game tries sooo hard to play into that teenage angst and "Haha, 1984, am I rite guys???" and it just falls flat.

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
Kinda surprised given that it's been over a decade since DmC released and we got DMC 5 since then
And 5 took some elements from it.
But you can't erase how ****ing weird the promotion for it was.

Very weirdly insistent he wasn't campy or a gay cowboy but instead in-line with Fight Club.

HyperSomari64

Smash Master
The idea of Disney being scared of anything is laughable
Then explain why the Mouse didn't quit the exclusive video game rights of The Simpsons from Electronic Arts like they with Star Wars?
As a reminder, EA is surfing on money with Tapped Out for a decade and they didn't do a console game based on The Yellow Ones since 2006.

Last edited:

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
oh god I have to go through another graduation ceremony this week…finna fall asleep before I even walk

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Don'te/DINO (Dante In Name Only)

Nothing but a pothead imposter that enjoys to smoke weed.
As Shroob Shroob said. You’re entitled to have that take. They’re both just as silly as each other. But classic Dante’s sarcastic asshole persona that he never lets down just never sits right with me. Like, to me, it makes him off putting as a character.

I compare it to Peter Venkman from ghostbusters. Specifically how they wrote him in the ide comics. And because I think comparing ghostbusters and DMC is fitting. He’s always smiling, laughing in the face of impossible danger, and cracking jokes. But especially in the comics, if something that actually matters to him is on the line he can be incredibly serious and emotional. Like how he talks to Dana Barret after rescuing her from Tiamat. Barely a quip.

Classic Dante never lets his guard down with anyone. He meets and grows close to people, but (and I stress that I haven’t read any tie in novels or manga because you shouldn’t have to do that to make the story in the games interesting on its own) he never seems to care about any of them. To the point that him doing all this world saving stuff almost doesn’t make sense for him. Why is he doing it? Why does he care. Nobody is paying him. Is it because of his family and backstory? Ok. But he never seems to care about that either. The one time he shows any on screen emotion other than cocky sarcastic asshole is in DMC 1, and the delivery in that moment is so bad that it’s rightly been memed to death, and honestly is probably part of the reason Dante has never let the facade down in any game sense, even with people he should be really really close with like Trish.

Meanwhile, in DmC, I see the characters journey. He exhibits a variety of emotions. We establish his motivation and he goes through a definitive arc. I’m not saying the game doesn’t have problems. But I just like it better.

Also, and this is coming from the queen of overreactions, but people who say that it “insults the games people actually like” are overreacting to hell and back. It’s one like about the ****ing white hair and I guess some stuff the developers might have said before launch that’s been lost to the sands of time. The game plays so similarly to the classic ones, and it mostly does it’s own thing with that one crack at the beginning. Heck, when Dante goes into Devil Trigger, his most powerful state in the game, his hair turns white and his coat turns red. If anything that should mean more than one joke in the first chapter.

Plus Dante’s mother being an Angel and his father being a Demon is way cooler than him just being half demon half human and him having a different hair color than vergil in addition to a different preferred clothing color helps establish a thematic identity.

Not to mention this game lets me kill demonic billionaires and a stand in Fox News anchor. 10/10.

Jondolio

Smash Hero
I cannot believe you guys were actually talking about Smash Bros last page on a Smash Bros forum. I'm shocked and disgusted to my very core

Also I slept for like 3 hours and I wanna die imminently

Ice type lmao
I guess they ran out of good starters but did they really need to go for the worst one right off the bat?
Then explain why the Mouse didn't quit the exclusive video game rights of The Simpsons from Electronic Arts like they with Star Wars?
As a reminder, EA is surfing on money with Tapped Out for a decade and they didn't do a console game based on The Yellow Ones since 2006.
I have no idea what you're talking about

HyperSomari64

Smash Master
I have no idea what you're talking about

This is why the Company Mascots of 20th Century Fox aren't in crossover games. While the re-release of the Arcade Game and LEGO Dimensions were made years after this news report, pretty sure EA was behind some of the agreement deals.

Last edited:

Jondolio

Smash Hero

This is why the Company Mascots of 20th Century Fox aren't in crossover games. While the re-release of the Arcade Game and LEGO Dimensions were made years after this news report, pretty sure EA was behind some of the agreement deals.
I am not reading all of that and it had nothing to do with my original point

Shroob

Sup?
As Shroob Shroob said. You’re entitled to have that take. They’re both just as silly as each other. But classic Dante’s sarcastic asshole persona that he never lets down just never sits right with me. Like, to me, it makes him off putting as a character.

I compare it to Peter Venkman from ghostbusters. Specifically how they wrote him in the ide comics. And because I think comparing ghostbusters and DMC is fitting. He’s always smiling, laughing in the face of impossible danger, and cracking jokes. But especially in the comics, if something that actually matters to him is on the line he can be incredibly serious and emotional. Like how he talks to Dana Barret after rescuing her from Tiamat. Barely a quip.

Classic Dante never lets his guard down with anyone. He meets and grows close to people, but (and I stress that I haven’t read any tie in novels or manga because you shouldn’t have to do that to make the story in the games interesting on its own) he never seems to care about any of them. To the point that him doing all this world saving stuff almost doesn’t make sense for him. Why is he doing it? Why does he care. Nobody is paying him. Is it because of his family and backstory? Ok. But he never seems to care about that either. The one time he shows any on screen emotion other than cocky sarcastic asshole is in DMC 1, and the delivery in that moment is so bad that it’s rightly been memed to death, and honestly is probably part of the reason Dante has never let the facade down in any game sense, even with people he should be really really close with like Trish.

Meanwhile, in DmC, I see the characters journey. He exhibits a variety of emotions. We establish his motivation and he goes through a definitive arc. I’m not saying the game doesn’t have problems. But I just like it better.

Also, and this is coming from the queen of overreactions, but people who say that it “insults the games people actually like” are overreacting to hell and back. It’s one like about the ****ing white hair and I guess some stuff the developers might have said before launch that’s been lost to the sands of time. The game plays so similarly to the classic ones, and it mostly does it’s own thing with that one crack at the beginning. Heck, when Dante goes into Devil Trigger, his most powerful state in the game, his hair turns white and his coat turns red. If anything that should mean more than one joke in the first chapter.

Plus Dante’s mother being an Angel and his father being a Demon is way cooler than him just being half demon half human and him having a different hair color than vergil in addition to a different preferred clothing color helps establish a thematic identity.

Not to mention this game lets me kill demonic billionaires and a stand in Fox News anchor. 10/10.
Ehhhhh, sometimes having a super sarcastic, cocky main character is fun.

Look at Leon from Resi4. Leon walks into a town of parasite infected humans and asks "Hey, where's everyone going? Bingo?" and other snarky quips.

****'s funny. :drshrug:

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Ehhhhh, sometimes having a super sarcastic, cocky main character is fun.

Look at Leon from Resi4. Leon walks into a town of parasite infected humans and asks "Hey, where's everyone going? Bingo?" and other snarky quips.

****'s funny. :drshrug:
I guess. I guess personally I don’t really laugh at Dante the same way I do at like… Conker or Travis Touchdown or Deadpool.

Hell, forget Peter Venkman, Travis Touchdown is pretty much Dante done right.

Top Bottom