• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social The Social Thread 3.2.1

Favorite announcement of this Direct?

• Total voters

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
I think the problem never had been superheroes but the MCU in general. We have the Spider-Verse films and Amazon's Invincible. Those thrive to be their own thing rather then blatantly copy the MCU's formula which many franchises have attempted (Especially the MonsterVerse since KotM).
Well, I mean, yeah, especially Marvel's cinematic universe. They preferred quantity over quality in terms of films released, and I think that was killing the superhero thing in the movies.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
A Wind Waker movie would be the most gorgeous thing of all time, and it pains me that it's heyday has passed and we ain't getring it.
Considering how much the toon-styled characters have been used outside of the mainline games by Nintendo over the years, especially for marketing,
I actually wouldn't write off the possibility of a Wind Waker movie or series just yet.

Last edited:

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
You guys do realize that superhero movies still make bank, right? They ain't goin nowhere
I just would like to see the fad replaced, so just because they still make bank, doesn't mean another fad could replace them, even if they are still making movies.

On that note, how do you all think video game movies would affect the minds of those video game haters? Not much positive stuff, I bet, but what do you think?

Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
You guys do realize that superhero movies still make bank, right? They ain't goin nowhere
Uhhh no they're not. The MCU films notably haven't been making as much as they used to. Ant-Man 3 didn't even break $500 million.

Black Panther 2 didn't hit a billion like the first, Thor 4 only made $769. It's declining but slowly.

Last edited:

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Agreed. I love the Animal Buddies. I wouldn't mind seeing new ones though, mainly new flying ones.
More animal buddies and more playable kongs on their own and not as power ups for DK. And don’t give them their 64 weapons by default. Maybe make them a power up or something but by default they should just use their own Kong abilities.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
More animal buddies and more playable kongs on their own and not as power ups for DK. And don’t give them their 64 weapons by default. Maybe make them a power up or something but by default they should just use their own Kong abilities.
Oh yeah, I happen to agree! I wanted to see new Kongs in the games since I was a kid.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Oh yeah, I happen to agree! I wanted to see new Kongs in the games since I was a kid.
I was just talking about bringing back the old kongs but yeah, new ones too. Bring back Kiddy, Chunky, Lanky, and Tiny. In addition to all the characters from Tropical Freeze. And finally let us play as Candy Kong! Maybe let us play as grown up DK Jr?

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
I was just talking about bringing back the old kongs but yeah, new ones too. Bring back Kiddy, Chunky, Lanky, and Tiny. In addition to all the characters from Tropical Freeze. And finally let us play as Candy Kong! Maybe let us play as grown up DK Jr?
mob yeah, those ideas I like, especially playing as Chunky, Lanky and a grown up DK Jr.

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
Uhhh no they're not. The MCU films notably haven't been making as much as they used to. Ant-Man 3 didn't even break $500 million.

Black Panther 2 didn't hit a billion like the first, Thor 4 only made $769. It's declining but slowly.
Ant Man 3 didn't break $500m cause it sucked. Multiverse of Madness is the 3rd highest grossing movie last year and was just shy of 1 billion, BP2 was 6th that same year, Thor 4 was 8th, and there's considerable hype behind Guardians 3. They're not going anywhere.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
mob yeah, those ideas I like, especially playing as Chunky, Lanky and a grown up DK Jr.
Plus, since I've been replaying the original Country trilogy, i'm reminded of how much I've been missing the original enemies, and not just the Kremlings. Gnawties, Neckies, Zingers, Chomps, Croctopus, etc. Bring them all back please!

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
If we're talking DKC, I prefer the Retro duology ovee the Rare games. Though if I have one issue with those games, it's that they don't allow you to play as Diddy, Dixie, or Cranky unless you have a player 2.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Plus, since I've been replaying the original Country trilogy, i'm reminded of how much I've been missing the original enemies, and not just the Kremlings. Gnawties, Neckies, Zingers, Chomps, Croctopus, etc. Bring them all back please!
Yeah, I would love to see those enemies again too.

Now that you mentioned Donkey Kong Jr., I am obligated to post this.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
also both the MCU and GOOD video game based movies can coexist at the same time y’all
That and folks wanted to go see the majesty that was Cocaine Bear instead. :smirk:
the movie that made $87.1 million worldwide had nothing to do with Quantumania’s box office

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
Most big movies are making less than they used to, it's almost like there was something that caused everyone to avoid going out for a year and a half and studios to rush their movies out to home release.

The only increases outside of event movies (even then, Way of the White Saviour made $600 million less than the first one) are Dr Strange and stuff that was never a box office hit like Scream and John Wick.

True but aren't they also like the most expensive to make movies these days? They need to make bank bank bank to break even/be profitable.
Yeah but most of them are generally breaking even and profiting. Even Ant-Man 3 is just about making a small profit.
The only out and out flops over the past year are Morbius, Black Adam and Shazam 2 (which did worse than Morbius).

Last edited:

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
"Superhero fatigue is finally kicking in"

Has been said every year since The Avengers came out.

So has "It is kicking in for real this time"

I swear this conversation happens every week at this point.
In 6 years, we will be having this same convo except it's about video game movies (the Xenoblade movie just came out and this thread had enough)

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
I take back what I said when I responded to Michael earlier. We should wait until superhero movies really start to decline in profit before saying they are dying. If they are still making bank, which I am sure they are, then it is too early to call.

Jondolio

Smash Hero
I love how we're blaming Marvel for everything now but let's not forget that DC and Sony are just as responsible for this superhero fatigue as Marvel is with DC's inconsistent output and Sony's near universally awful output (Spider-Verse notwithstanding)

Marvel may have started this trend but the other companies don't get to go scot-free

Last edited:

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
I love how we're blaming Marvel for everything now but let's not forget that DC and Sony are just as responsible for this superhero fatigue as Marvel is with DC's inconsistent output and Sony's near universally awful output (Spider-Verse notwithstanding)

Marvel may have started this trend but they don't get to go scot-free
Well, I did not mention it, but I was leaning towards blaming DC. I didn't know about Sony until now, but other companies ARE just as guilty.

Top Bottom