• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social The Social Thread 3.2.1

Favorite announcement of this Direct?

• Total voters

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
Alright, guess I gotta explain:

This may be me leftist ass taking over again, but that movie's message is confusing and looks worse as time goes on. Like it's a pretty heavy handed allegory for racism (predators were the oppresors) but then like 3/4ths of the movie in it goes "actually, the prey were the real racists all along" and I think they were going for a similar angle to what Black Panther did where Bellweather wanted to recreate a world where prey was on top (recreate where the prey are on top and the predators are oppressed) and idk Bellweather is also Disney's worst twist villian too. Really my biggest issue is how bad the message unravels near the end (and also using cops for a racism allegory but that's more of a minor personal thing).

Trolls though, it's ****ing stupid but it's just a jukebox musical for kids and well it accomplished what it does, plus "SINGING KILLED MY GRANDMA" is more memorable than any line in Zootopia. Zootopia was better made but it set out to have a grand message that imo falls flat, where as Trolls accomplished what it set out to be. Zootopia isn't bad, just not well aged

Guh-Huzzah!

Totally humorous voice over and YouTube guy.
Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893
This is It everyone, the surprise of the year when It comes to cinema.

Splendid animation which reminded me of ITSV, really clever and hilarious jokes and comedy which felt refreshing for a kids movie after all the Disney+ Original stuff I've seen recently, wonderful music and a well-thought out plot about the value of life and all the people around you.
I saw this movie with a friend and his cousine and we loved It all throught, my friend said not as much as ITSV but still with the bar really high in quality.

Something quite amazing which I respect a lot too is that at last in the main voice credits at the end they gave credit to the spanish voice actors. A really wonderful choice which I hope more movies go through with.

So yeah, I really reccomend It a lot. It probably will take the spot of the Batman as my fifth favourite movie of the year, and fans of animation in general are surely gonna love It.

Oh heck yeah! Just came back from watching it myself. Great film!

Just noticed the Tandemaus vid that Guh-Huzzah! Guh-Huzzah! acted in has over 100k views now, and the shorts version has 77k

Noice
Daaaaang niiiice. GabaLeth has a pretty big audience, haha.

Noipoi

Howdy!

This may be me leftist ass taking over again, but that movie's message is confusing and looks worse as time goes on. Like it's a pretty heavy handed allegory for racism (predators were the oppresors) but then like 3/4ths of the movie in it goes "actually, the prey were the real racists all along" and I think they were going for a similar angle to what Black Panther did where Bellweather wanted to recreate a world where prey was on top (recreate where the prey are on top and the predators are oppressed) and idk Bellweather is also Disney's worst twist villian too. Really my biggest issue is how bad the message unravels near the end (and also using cops for a racism allegory but that's more of a minor personal thing).

Trolls though, it's ****ing stupid but it's just a jukebox musical for kids and well it accomplished what it does, plus "SINGING KILLED MY GRANDMA" is more memorable than any line in Zootopia. Zootopia was better made but it set out to have a grand message that imo falls flat, where as Trolls accomplished what it set out to be. Zootopia isn't bad, just not well aged
I can definitely understand those points, and I admit the message is pretty clumsy. I just think the creativity of the world and the fun characters is enough to keep it a pretty darn good movie, certainly better than Trolls.

And that's not to say "EW Trolls bad kids movie ICK" it's fine foe what it is. I just think Zootopia is easily better :drshrug:

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
I can definitely understand those points, and I admit the message is pretty clumsy. I just think the creativity of the world and the fun characters is enough to keep it a pretty darn good movie, certainly better than Trolls.

And that's not to say "EW Trolls bad kids movie ICK" it's fine foe what it is. I just think Zootopia is easily better :drshrug:
Yeah Zootopia is legit fun until the like the last 20 minutes, then it legit becomes sucky.

Also I like the songs they sing in Trolls so uh 😶😶😶

Last edited:

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
I'm gonna be honest. Moana's kinda overrated.

Don't get me wrong, it's a solid movie, but people treat it like it's a perfect Disney movie, but idk it's just kinda your average Disney movie to me. I'd still consider it like 8/10 material, which is still high praise on my part.

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806

3/4s in?

I felt the prey being racist was fairly evident throughout the entire movie, especially Judy and her family being against foxes.

Pink Yoshi

Smash Champion
Regarding Trolls, I just think it is one of the gosh darn prettiest movies ever made, taking place in an incredibly-imaginative world with all sorts of adorable creatures, some really cute protagonists, Anna Kendrick and Icona Pop, and some EXCELLENT songs. It's not got the most insightful messages, but for a movie for pure fun, there's little that comes close to it in 2016. Kubo, meanwhile, is artistic brilliance, with emotional writing and peak stop-motion animation.

Zootopia and Moana are great and all, but idk they just don't hold my attention the most out of all the Disney movies we've had, and I honestly prefer Finding Dory to both, but I'm Pixar-biased so whaddya gonna do :happysheep:

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
3/4s in?

I felt the prey being racist was fairly evident throughout the entire movie, especially Judy and her family being against foxes.
If so then they set it up very poorly. Like you can't make up an allegory for racism without clearly setting up oppressors or the oppressed. At the start of the movie they go "the predators terrorized the prey for centuries". Flip-floping between that and, "well actually the predators are the oppressed" is not a great way to present the message. You can't be bith the oppressors and the oppressed, like what are the rules? The whole thing of racism is all about power dynamics and Zootopia does it very poorly imo, and that's my big issue. Otherwise it's a great movie but it just has that fatal flaw.

Pink Yoshi

Smash Champion
Oh yeah, Tangled is super great too. It's a film I can pretty much ALWAYS get into, just so much fun and has some of the best main characters AND sidekicks Disney's ever had.

Imma be real though, Encanto clears everything else Disney's done in the 2000s so far, still gotta watch Strange World though (but that movie looks like it'll DEFINITELY appeal to me)

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
We can all agree Tangled is based right?

No, not because it's an amazing movie or anything. Solely because it gave this image
View attachment 365650
I used this the other day in discord, so I had it saved on my phone, lol
Tangled, both the movie and the sequel show, are beyond based

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
I feel so conflicted on Princess and the Frog. First part is great, but the moment Tiana turns into a frog, it kinda loses me a bit

Dr. Facilier is a top tier villain though. Amazing song too.

Last edited:

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
If so then they set it up very poorly. Like you can't make up an allegory for racism without clearly setting up oppressors or the oppressed. At the start of the movie they go "the predators terrorized the prey for centuries". Flip-floping between that and, "well actually the predators are the oppressed" is not a great way to present the message. You can't be bith the oppressors and the oppressed, like what are the rules? The whole thing of racism is all about power dynamics and Zootopia does it very poorly imo, and that's my big issue. Otherwise it's a great movie but it just has that fatal flaw.
I felt they were just trying to express that racism can be a two way thing. I've met too many people that hold on to sins of past generations and fail to give others an actual chance. So I found Zootopia recognising things are not equal because people say they are and that for however many different groups there are, they actually all need to authentically be working together to overcome issues very important.

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
I felt they were just trying to express that racism can be a two way thing. I've met too many people that hold on to sins of past generations and fail to give others an actual chance. So I found Zootopia recognising things are not equal because people say they are and that for however many different groups there are, they actually all need to authentically be working together to overcome issues very important.
If that was the message, then that also opens a whole nother can of worms that for the sake of this site, I'm not gonna discuss.
Take the rabbit to Chuck E Cheese
No, take the rabbit to Fazbear Pizzeria

Last edited:

KillerCage

Smash Master
Industry plant
Congrats James, you made a film that improved on the original.
Does that mean it's perfect?
HECK NO!
The film still feels bloated with its 3 hour plus runtime and not many of the new and old characters stand out.
The one thing Way of Water has over the original Avatar is that I'm ACTUALLY interested in see a follow up.

Top Bottom