• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social The Social Thread 3.2.1

Noipoi

Howdy!
Sorry, can't hear you over the finally a well-written story with interesting characters and themes in my Sonic game once again.
Sorry. I can’t here you over the boring open area gameplay with small bursts of actual good Sonic gameplay despite the fact that the controls in said areas are worse for some reason and the level designs are all reused.
You guys need to get your ears checked.

D

Deleted member

Check this out, guys.

Playable characters as in more than one?

It'd be pretty hype if Amy, Knuckles, and Tails all become playable, even if only in cyberspace levels.
Bruh, this is the first time these characters have been playable since Sonic ****ing 06.

Not counting spin-offs, of course.

This is actually dope!
This is seriously shaping up to be the best 3D Sonic.
Saw the news over Discord.

Ngl, the fact all of this is even free is incredible, brilliant move by Sonic Team. They truly seem to be listening to the fan feedback and wish to improve Upon the Game.

I personally hope they do consider a Boss Rush Mode as the bosses were quite one of the biggest highlights of the Game, and I find them worth replaying.

So yeah, really happy with the news. Looking forward to playing as Amy and Knuckles too.

Noipoi

Howdy!
Yes because following the formula and actually doing Sonic gameplay makes it not a Sonic game and doing something else entirely that barely counts totally makes it a Sonic game.
Forces wasn't much of a game though. Really more of a bad movie with little bits where you pressed a button once or twice, that only lasted for a few seconds.

Cool character creator tho :4pacman:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Saw the news over Discord.

Ngl, the fact all of this is even free is incredible, brilliant move by Sonic Team. They truly seem to be listening to the fan feedback and wish to improve Upon the Game.

I personally hope they do consider a Boss Rush Mode as the bosses were quite one of the biggest highlights of the Game, and I find them worth replaying.

So yeah, really happy with the news. Looking forward to playing as Amy and Knuckles too.
The Challenge Mode collage has Super Sonic so we likely will be able to fight the titans again

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Forces couldn't even pull off the usual formula in an even remotely serviceable way.
That’s just unfair and you know it.
Forces wasn't much of a game though. Really more of a bad movie with little bits where you pressed a button once or twice, that only lasted for a few seconds.

Cool character creator tho
Come on. Forces is a fine game. It’s not the best in the world but it’s definitely mid. Better than frontiers at least whose only saving grace is pandering to people who have a fetish for running around in an open environment. THAT’S the game that’s barely a game.

D

Deleted member

The Challenge Mode collage has Super Sonic so we likely will be able to fight the titans again
Oh, that's really neat then!

If I had to guess a date for the first update, I'd say sometime around February or March, so I'll keep an eye for any possible news around those months. Maybe we do also get QoL additions between these which would be awesome (visual options for PS5 and Series X for example)

Noipoi

Howdy!

Come on. Forces is a fine game. It’s not the best in the world but it’s definitely mid. Better than frontiers at least whose only saving grace is pandering to people who have a fetish for running around in an open environment. THAT’S the game that’s barely a game.
Forces doesn't suck it's just the epitome of bland, which arguably makes it suck more. At least if it was a travesty it'd be funny.

If you like Frontiers or not it's subjective, but there's definitely gameplay. You do more than just hold the stick in one direction, while praying that they'll ask you to press B.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Nah, I don't even particularly like open-world games in general and Frontiers had plenty to offer than just empty space to wander around aimlessly.

Just because you don't like what's there doesn't mean there's not a lot to do in it.

Last edited:

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
I don't mean to dogpile here but I genuinelly am curious, aside from the non-linearity of Frontiers what are your issues with the game?

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
It's not unfair when everyone was sharing a clip of Classic Sonic in Chemical plant failing to even reach the top of a ramp after running down a slope for several seconds.

They couldn't even get the "Hold right to win" part of the level right.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I don't mean to dogpile here but I genuinelly am curious, aside from the non-linearity of Frontiers what are your issues with the game?
It's a large scale collectathon which gives you ways to ignore the needing of collectables for the story and ****, only small scale collectathons from the late 90's to the early 2000's are good

dezeray112

Smash Hero
I'd probably expect a new trailer for Ant-Man & the Wasp: Quantumania within December for certain and although they could possibly show a first trailer for Guardians 3 in the same month, they could look to release a trailer in January.

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585

Noipoi

Howdy!
It's a large scale collectathon which gives you ways to ignore the needing of collectables for the story and ****, only small scale collectathons from the late 90's to the early 2000's are good
Cue music

I see you run, I see you jump. But all your efforts are futile, chump.

I don't care how many titans you plow. Get the **** off my island, now.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Nothing feels rewarding. Sure, you can probably go faster then Sonic's ever been able to go before but to what end? To get to the other side of a map you've been zig-zagging across for hours instead of reaching any sort of goal. The collectables all have tangible rewards yes, but they don't actually feel rewarding to grab. They might as well all be rings. The combat could be interesting but so many basic enemies go down in one hit and so many of the bosses are gimmicks that need to be opened up in weird unique ways so why even have combat at all? Why not have them just be platforming bosses where you jump on their weak spots to beat them? The only parts of the game I legit have fun are in the linear cyberspace levels. And the fun part about that is that they're actually pointless! They only reward you with keys and you can get plenty of them just killing random mooks. Getting to the end in a certain time in the end in a certain time (I.E. using your speed) only rewards you with keys, getting the hidden red rings withing them only rewards you with keys, being skilled at the platforming only rewards you with keys, but I don't even care in here because it's all fun to actually do! It doesn't matter that it's pointless because it's fun! Where as all the stuff in the open zone areas with plenty of tangible reasons to do it (getting all the memory tokens and keys and weird hearts and berries and cocos), i.e. the main chunk of the game, just feels demoralizing and pointless because it's not fun to actually do despite there technically being in game incentive to do it. It's a strange conundrum. I just want to play more Cyberspace levels. For the controls in the Cyberspace levels to be improved, for there to be more Cyberspace levels with more varied and interesting set dressings and gameplay ideas. Heck, the idea of Sonic in cyberspace is actually really interesting because you could theme the levels after literally anything! But invariably I'm yanked back into the big open space where nothing feels rewarding or fun to do.

D

Deleted member

Oh yeah, speaking of collect-a-thons. I brought It up once but I feel I should expand myself as I feel some people such as Noipoi Noipoi or Guh-Huzzah! Guh-Huzzah! may be interested to read my thoughts.

I'm impressed at how much I ended up enjoying the game. It has quite simple but also intuitive controls, the worlds are quite colourful and well-designed and the characters are quite memorable and have their charm. All that without talking about the music by Grant Kirkhope, currently of Mario+Rabbids fame.

I saw myself going back to levels I had beaten just to collect notes again, because I found It that fun. And I was always thinking to myself "man, I really want to see everything on these worlds from top to bottom".

One nitpick is that I wish there were more boss fights similar to the last Gruntilda fight, but even then I feel that the level design made Up for It.

So yeah, really solid stuff. I still prefer Odyssey by the stuff you can control with Cappy but this one was great.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Sorry, can't hear you over the finally a well-written story with interesting characters and themes in my Sonic game once again.
also hard to hear with the banger of a soundtrack in the way
Sorry. I can’t here you over the boring open area gameplay with small bursts of actual good Sonic gameplay despite the fact that the controls in said areas are worse for some reason and the level designs are all reused.
Yes because following the formula and actually doing Sonic gameplay makes it not a Sonic game and doing something else entirely that barely counts totally makes it a Sonic game.
Zelda didn’t follow all of their formulas with BOTW and that ended up being 2018’s GOTY. I don’t see why Frontiers should be shamed for their lack of following all the Sonic formulas

and I gotta ask, since I’ve likely missed a convo about it in the past, but are there any open word games that you do like?
Nah, he's too "Big" to be playable, like Ridley was said to be.

...Yeah, I see the door to my left.
gimmie your address so that I may send you to Ridley himself
6B79CA06-C136-401B-B9B8-69F415DA57DB.png

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
also hard to hear with the banger of a soundtrack in the way

Zelda didn’t follow all of their formulas with BOTW and that ended up being 2018’s GOTY. I don’t see why Frontiers should be shamed for their lack of following all the Sonic formulas

and I gotta ask, since I’ve likely missed a convo about it in the past, but are there any open word games that you do like?

gimmie your address so that I may send you to Ridley himself
View attachment 364494
1999 Fake Street, Nowhere, USA.

That is the best I can do.

Noipoi

Howdy!
Oh yeah, speaking of collect-a-thons. I brought It up once but I feel I should expand myself as I feel some people such as Noipoi Noipoi or Guh-Huzzah! Guh-Huzzah! may be interested to read my thoughts.

I'm impressed at how much I ended up enjoying the game. It has quite simple but also intuitive controls, the worlds are quite colourful and well-designed and the characters are quite memorable and have their charm. All that without talking about the music by Grant Kirkhope, currently of Mario+Rabbids fame.

I saw myself going back to levels I had beaten just to collect notes again, because I found It that fun. And I was always thinking to myself "man, I really want to see everything on these worlds from top to bottom".

One nitpick is that I wish there were more boss fights similar to the last Gruntilda fight, but even then I feel that the level design made Up for It.

So yeah, really solid stuff. I still prefer Odyssey by the stuff you can control with Cappy but this one was great.
Oh Odyssey is definitely better, no doubt about that. But Odyssey is a game that came out a few years ago.

The fact that Banjo Kazooie, a game that's just about 30 years old, still holds up so well is amazing!

Guh-Huh!

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Forces doesn't suck it's just the epitome of bland, which arguably makes it suck more. At least if it was a travesty it'd be funny.

If you like Frontiers or not it's subjective, but there's definitely gameplay. You do more than just hold the stick in one direction, while praying that they'll ask you to press B.
I remember when people liked the boost. I miss that. I miss that very much. I remember when Colors and Generations saved the franchise and now people hate them. Now we may never get another chance for those gameplay styles to flourish again. Thanks for that. Really appreciate it.
Nah, I don't even particularly like open-world games in general and Frontiers had plenty to offer than just empty space to wander around aimlessly.

Just because you don't like what's there doesn't mean there's not a lot to do in it.
... Did we play the same game? You run around pick up a few coins... i mean totally different and unique collectables, pay the toll to make the thing happen, and then run around more. Maybe you run in a loop or climb a tower or jump on a robot or fight a tedious giant. Maybe you go fishing for no reason. Maybe you run in a cyberspace level which is fun but like you don't need to do it so why would you? Just run in circles more. Totally gameplay.
It's not unfair when everyone was sharing a clip of Classic Sonic in Chemical plant failing to even reach the top of a ramp after running down a slope for several seconds.

They couldn't even get the "Hold right to win" part of the level right.
That I understand. Classic Sonic's gameplay in forces was not done well. These days I play it on PC with a mod to fix his controls. But I still had fun playing the base game on my Xbox the first couple times. Yes i've played it more than once.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed

None that i've played, no.

Noipoi

Howdy!
I remember when people liked the boost. I miss that. I miss that very much. I remember when Colors and Generations saved the franchise and now people hate them. Now we may never get another chance for those gameplay styles to flourish again. Thanks for that. Really appreciate it.
But

But they do?

Well some people don't but not everyone's gonna like everything.

But from what I've seen, people loved the boost in Unleashed and Generations. And thought it was pretty good in Colors. But they felt that Forces did it bad, so they wanted a change to the formula
:drshrug:

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
But

But they do?

Well some people don't but not everyone's gonna like everything.

But from what I've seen, people loved the boost in Unleashed and Generations. And thought it was pretty good in Colors. But they felt that Forces did it bad, so they wanted a change to the formula
:drshrug:
One game does something bad so do an entirely new formula? That's like having one room of your house damaged so you decide to move.

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
The issue with the boost in Forces was that in prior games, the boost was a reward for executing the level well. You play well, you can go super fast and plow through enemies, but you have to complete these challenges first.

In Forces, there were no challenges and obstacles that discouraged boosting, so boosting wasn't a reward but rather an auto beat the level. It wasn't engaging to say the least.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Worth a shot. What's the harm in trying something different after your last project was considered a failure?
To me, the boost formula has never been at the peak of what it can be. Sonic Generations had the best gameplay but it reused old level ideas. Colors had peak level aesthetics but poorer gameplay. I want to see those two aspects married and a really great game made. But if they pack up and move house to something else entirely we may never get that at all. I don't want to have to wait 20 years for the boost formula equivalent of Sonic Mania. Nobody should have to wait for that!

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
They didn't even give Lost World's style another shot.
After 9 years of Boost games moving on after a bad one is fine and it's not like Frontiers lacks it anyway, it's just not the focus and isn't a one button win condition but they perhaps moved too far in that direction with how useless it is in the 2d levels

Top Bottom