• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social The Social Thread 3.2.1

Favorite announcement of this Direct?

• Total voters

crazybenjamin

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 2794 0568 0108
A while back I posted this edit someone made of the Sonic movie poster, and I talked about how I wanted to see someone make a Splatoon edit:
movie posters.png

I'm not skilled enough to replicate the whole thing, but I figured I'd try my hand at recreating the poses, and I'm quite pleased with how it turned out!
inkling movie poster pose.jpg

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
Pokemon fans when not all unevolved mons precede an ultra badass final form

View attachment 364359
They also don't do their homework either, 5 secinds of searching shows that Dunspanrce is based off of a Tsuchinoko, a snake cryptid that grows longer as they get stronger.
Properly because it doesn't evolve into a cool looking form.

Here's some fanmade ones I found way way before it got an evolution:
View attachment 364360
View attachment 364361
View attachment 364362
The issue with these is that they all try way too hard, and they got rid of all defining traits of Dunsparce for no reason.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
nice wings

osby

Smash Obsessed
nice wings
I think this is the only time I saw someone sharing a Ken Penders post and it's not something terribly offensive or downright crazy or both.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
I beat GTA V for like the tenth time this weekend and had as much fun with it as I did the last nine times. I just hope GTA VI comes out without another damn leak. :secretkpop:

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
nice wings
Ken Penders leaking parts of the now cancelled Spidey 4 is not a sentence I would think of

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
An exciting week this will be.

Beginning of the Christmas month, so reason to start getting into the Spirit. Watching Top Gun: Maverick tonight with my dad along with putting up my tree, watching the next Death Battle in 25 minutes, start watching HunterxHunter tomorrow, rewatch Godzilla VS Kong on Wednesday, watch NetFlix's Troll first thing on Thursday morning AND going to the show to see Violent Night.

What a way to begin the holidays.

osby

Smash Obsessed
What do you do when you're obsessed with the idea of something and you have no way to make it happen so you just scream into the void about it over and over again?
I write and talk about it obsessively for weeks until the pure thought of it becomes exhausting and then not touch it with a ten-foot pole for months.

You know, like a normal person.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
I write and talk about it obsessively for weeks until the pure thought of it becomes exhausting and then not touch it with a ten-foot pole for months.

You know, like a normal person.
I just worry that I'll get annoying If I keep talking about how I want a Midway Arcade Collection on modern platforms AGAIN. Just so many good classic Arcade games that I want to play on my Switch or my Steam Deck.

osby

Smash Obsessed
I just worry that I'll get annoying If I keep talking about how I want a Midway Arcade Collection on modern platforms AGAIN. Just so many good classic Arcade games that I want to play on my Switch or my Steam Deck.
I mean, if anyone finds you that annoying, they can just put you on ignore and move on. You're not harming anyone by gushing over video games, that's what Smashboards is for.

I'm not familiar with Midway but maybe I'll learn something about it in the process.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Oh ****

The next Death Battle man.

Whoever wins we all lose. I already see the amount of seawater developing.

Vegito VS Gogeta.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Just finished with today's university classes. It went well overall although I had a technical issue regarding a document and some links during History Of Great Britain. But no big deal, I'll ask my partners for help.

Feeling quite sleepy doh (probably because I stood up until 1am last night due to the cinema stuff) so when I get home I will rest a bit.
Hopefully ya'll had a cool day too! :)

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
I mean, if anyone finds you that annoying, they can just put you on ignore and move on. You're not harming anyone by gushing over video games, that's what Smashboards is for.

I'm not familiar with Midway but maybe I'll learn something about it in the process.
The thing to know about Midway is that it's not just Midway. It's also the arcade games produced by Williams, Leland Corporation, and remarkably Atari thanks to a number of corporate buyouts over the years. The Atari operating today only has access to a certain number of their IPs, while Midway has the rest. I really recommend checking out the Midway Arcade Treasures series on GameCube to get a good slice of their most iconic games. These days the entire library is owned by WB Games.

Most of what people know from them today is Mortal Kombat. It's their longest running and most consistent franchise that still runs today. But there are a few other fighting games that are a part of the collection that are memorable even if some of them aren't that good... Primal Rage is much beloved and comes from the Atari side of the company. It's a fighting game where you play as giant monsters that are also the gods of a primitive prehistoric-esque post-apocalypic earth. One of the cool twists is that your worshipers were tiny little people on the ground below you and you could pick them up and eat them to restore health. I know many people that wish NRS would revive Primal Rage because it seams like a perfect fit for them. Not as beloved but still wacky and iconic are games like War Gods, Mace: The Dark Age, and Bio FREAKS. War Gods was basically the MK team experimenting with 3D before they made Mortal Kombat 4. And while the name may suggest a mythology theme it's actually a bunch of people mutated into godlike figures by an alien mineral called Ore. There's a military cyborg in with the likes of Anubis and a Valkyrie. It had potential but the game wasn't very good. Neither was Mace: The Dark Age. Although it's arcade release actually went over well it's home console release killed it's public perception. It's just a medieval themed weapon fighter. Similar to SoulCalibur in that regard. Bio FREAKS was another 3D fighter with mixed or average reviews but with a unique genetically modified bioweapon design. It's arcade version was actually never released but there's a rom of it floating around online. And tbh it's probably better than the home console ports following the trends of the day.

The library contains more than it's share of space shooters. If you've heard of any it was Defender. A side scrolling shooter where you rescue the people on the surface from flying aliens. The game is much more complex than that though and incredibly difficult. It is considered one of the most iconic arcade games of all time and was even immortalized on Buckner & Garcia's Pac-Man Fever album alongside other arcade hits like Frogger, Donkey Kong, and Centipede. It received a sequel called Stargate (later renamed to Defender II) which was much the same with added enemy types and a few new tools at your disposal. There's also the cult classic Sinistar, where you have to fly around, shoot enemies, and mine materials to create Sinibombs which are the only thing that can destroy the dreaded Sinistar, which your enemies spend their time trying to assemble. The Sinistar itse;f is kind of like a talking Death Star that eats you. There's also Blasteroids, an update to Atari's Asteroids which ended up in the Midway library despite Asteroids proper staying with Atari. Win for Midway I guess.

They also pioneered Arcade twin stick shooting. Robotron: 2048 and Smash TV were both arcade twin joystick shooters where you, on a single screen, took out wave after wave of enemies and racked up an insanely high body count. Robotron was all about saving the human race from a robot apocalypse, while Smash TV was based around a post-apocalyptic future yet again, where you are killing other people on a game show to win big prizes. Both are incredibly fun.

Two other sci-fi shooters of note in the library are Xenophobe, an Alien inspired side scrolling shooter; and Xybots, a god damn ARCADE PIXEL BASED FPS! Xybots is so cool! Even if it's janky to play! The last arcade game they ever made was a shooter called The Grid which centered around death matches in 3D arenas and was as over the top and violent as Smash TV or Mortal Kombat.

Rampage is another game based around fun destruction and it even recently got the movie treatment. You play as one of three giant Kaiju. George the Gorilla, Lizzie the Lizard, and Ralph the Wolf. And your goal is to destroy one of the many cities you find yourself in on your rampage across the United States. Or the world in it's globe trotting sequel, Rampage World Tour.

Spy Hunter is a James Bond inspired game where you drive a spy car in a chase sequence and use it's many weapons to defend yourself. Machine Guns, Missiles, Oil Slicks, you name it. It received a sequel as well in 3D with co-op.

The companies combined also just produced a lot of really unique experienced. Tapper where you play as a bartender serving drinks to customers. Paperboy where you deliver papers to houses along a paper route. Timber where you play as dueling lumberjacks competing to cut down trees. Toobin' an inertube racing game down a river of stereotypes. Bubbles where you play as a bubble trying to scrub grease out of a sink and avoid things that could pop you! Klax is a unique assembly line style puzzle game that's difficult to describe but I love to play. Look it up, I insist. Marble Madness was a simple Marble racing game that's difficult to master but addicting to play. Rampart is a game where you play tetris to build your castle walls then actually fire the cannons to defend them from ships in a prototype RTS! Joust and it's sequel are much beloved games where you are a knight riding on an ostrich jousting other knights who ride buzzards for the glory of the kingdom and it's so fun! They even made a skateboarding game called 720°.

They made plenty of racing games (Super Sprint, Badlands, Super Off Road, San Francisco Rush, STUN Runner) but those are just what they are. Racing games. They also made plenty of Sports games. Cyberball 2072 was football with robots. Pigskin 621 AD was football with cavemen (both of these, american football). Arch Rivals was basketball with fighting game elements. And this eventually lead them to getting actual sporting licenses with the NBA, NFL, NHL, WWF, and so on and so forth. But this, to me, is the least interesting of their output.

And that's just a taste of the most iconic games. There are so many more they made once they transitioned to being home console developers (Like Ready 2 Rumble Boxing, criminal that that was never in Arcades) and even back in the arcades themselves that I could be here all day. Seriously. Pick up those gamecube collections on an emulator. You'll have hours of good, solid, Arcade fun.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609

Pink Yoshi

Smash Champion
And I walk in on Ken Penders' name being spoken. That there's a throwback I wasn't expecting today.

Many memories of flipping through the Sonic comic covers on Mega Collection Plus. Seeing what happened throughout the early days of that comic series was a ride.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

The thing to know about Midway is that it's not just Midway. It's also the arcade games produced by Williams, Leland Corporation, and remarkably Atari thanks to a number of corporate buyouts over the years. The Atari operating today only has access to a certain number of their IPs, while Midway has the rest. I really recommend checking out the Midway Arcade Treasures series on GameCube to get a good slice of their most iconic games. These days the entire library is owned by WB Games.

Most of what people know from them today is Mortal Kombat. It's their longest running and most consistent franchise that still runs today. But there are a few other fighting games that are a part of the collection that are memorable even if some of them aren't that good... Primal Rage is much beloved and comes from the Atari side of the company. It's a fighting game where you play as giant monsters that are also the gods of a primitive prehistoric-esque post-apocalypic earth. One of the cool twists is that your worshipers were tiny little people on the ground below you and you could pick them up and eat them to restore health. I know many people that wish NRS would revive Primal Rage because it seams like a perfect fit for them. Not as beloved but still wacky and iconic are games like War Gods, Mace: The Dark Age, and Bio FREAKS. War Gods was basically the MK team experimenting with 3D before they made Mortal Kombat 4. And while the name may suggest a mythology theme it's actually a bunch of people mutated into godlike figures by an alien mineral called Ore. There's a military cyborg in with the likes of Anubis and a Valkyrie. It had potential but the game wasn't very good. Neither was Mace: The Dark Age. Although it's arcade release actually went over well it's home console release killed it's public perception. It's just a medieval themed weapon fighter. Similar to SoulCalibur in that regard. Bio FREAKS was another 3D fighter with mixed or average reviews but with a unique genetically modified bioweapon design. It's arcade version was actually never released but there's a rom of it floating around online. And tbh it's probably better than the home console ports following the trends of the day.

The library contains more than it's share of space shooters. If you've heard of any it was Defender. A side scrolling shooter where you rescue the people on the surface from flying aliens. The game is much more complex than that though and incredibly difficult. It is considered one of the most iconic arcade games of all time and was even immortalized on Buckner & Garcia's Pac-Man Fever album alongside other arcade hits like Frogger, Donkey Kong, and Centipede. It received a sequel called Stargate (later renamed to Defender II) which was much the same with added enemy types and a few new tools at your disposal. There's also the cult classic Sinistar, where you have to fly around, shoot enemies, and mine materials to create Sinibombs which are the only thing that can destroy the dreaded Sinistar, which your enemies spend their time trying to assemble. The Sinistar itse;f is kind of like a talking Death Star that eats you. There's also Blasteroids, an update to Atari's Asteroids which ended up in the Midway library despite Asteroids proper staying with Atari. Win for Midway I guess.

They also pioneered Arcade twin stick shooting. Robotron: 2048 and Smash TV were both arcade twin joystick shooters where you, on a single screen, took out wave after wave of enemies and racked up an insanely high body count. Robotron was all about saving the human race from a robot apocalypse, while Smash TV was based around a post-apocalyptic future yet again, where you are killing other people on a game show to win big prizes. Both are incredibly fun.

Two other sci-fi shooters of note in the library are Xenophobe, an Alien inspired side scrolling shooter; and Xybots, a god damn ARCADE PIXEL BASED FPS! Xybots is so cool! Even if it's janky to play! The last arcade game they ever made was a shooter called The Grid which centered around death matches in 3D arenas and was as over the top and violent as Smash TV or Mortal Kombat.

Rampage is another game based around fun destruction and it even recently got the movie treatment. You play as one of three giant Kaiju. George the Gorilla, Lizzie the Lizard, and Ralph the Wolf. And your goal is to destroy one of the many cities you find yourself in on your rampage across the United States. Or the world in it's globe trotting sequel, Rampage World Tour.

Spy Hunter is a James Bond inspired game where you drive a spy car in a chase sequence and use it's many weapons to defend yourself. Machine Guns, Missiles, Oil Slicks, you name it. It received a sequel as well in 3D with co-op.

The companies combined also just produced a lot of really unique experienced. Tapper where you play as a bartender serving drinks to customers. Paperboy where you deliver papers to houses along a paper route. Timber where you play as dueling lumberjacks competing to cut down trees. Toobin' an inertube racing game down a river of stereotypes. Bubbles where you play as a bubble trying to scrub grease out of a sink and avoid things that could pop you! Klax is a unique assembly line style puzzle game that's difficult to describe but I love to play. Look it up, I insist. Marble Madness was a simple Marble racing game that's difficult to master but addicting to play. Rampart is a game where you play tetris to build your castle walls then actually fire the cannons to defend them from ships in a prototype RTS! Joust and it's sequel are much beloved games where you are a knight riding on an ostrich jousting other knights who ride buzzards for the glory of the kingdom and it's so fun! They even made a skateboarding game called 720°.

They made plenty of racing games (Super Sprint, Badlands, Super Off Road, San Francisco Rush, STUN Runner) but those are just what they are. Racing games. They also made plenty of Sports games. Cyberball 2072 was football with robots. Pigskin 621 AD was football with cavemen (both of these, american football). Arch Rivals was basketball with fighting game elements. And this eventually lead them to getting actual sporting licenses with the NBA, NFL, NHL, WWF, and so on and so forth. But this, to me, is the least interesting of their output.

And that's just a taste of the most iconic games. There are so many more they made once they transitioned to being home console developers (Like Ready 2 Rumble Boxing, criminal that that was never in Arcades) and even back in the arcades themselves that I could be here all day. Seriously. Pick up those gamecube collections on an emulator. You'll have hours of good, solid, Arcade fun.
Something quite cool worth to note is that for LEGO Dimensions they made a whole level pack inspired by Midway Arcade and their games.
It came alongside a Gamer Kid minifigure and two builds for a Defender arcade cabinet and the Spy Hunter car. And in the open world map unlocked by beating the level you could play I think over 25 classic Midway games+their version of Paperboy.

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514

A classic Midway character is one of my big wants for Multivesus. They have a lot of cool stuff

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
I know it'll be in 2023 but I'm curious when Scarlet and Violet will get Home support.

Very likely it won't take as long as the BDSP/LA update due to less potential issues.

Top Bottom