• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social The Social Thread 3.2.1

Favorite announcement of this Direct?

• Total voters

Mamboo07

Smash Hero
Imagine if after this Mario movie they have an after credits scene to hint at a next movie just like Sonic.

Imagine: a figure shoots out of the same pipe that Mario enter the world from. They stand and their silhouette nearly fills the screen. Then they begin to LAUGH

“WAHAHAHA!!! ITS WARIO TIME!!!”

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
If we get an actual ARMS movie, I will go feral. Not for the reasons you'd think though.

An ARMS movie is an inside joke in a friend group I'm in, we had this whole script and everything. It was bonkers.
No Bonkers is the Kirby enemy

Also you know damn well they're gonna get Tom Holland to play Springman

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Really just Anna Taylor Joy is the odd one out
Isn't that the Illumination special? Most of their voice actors for their movies are famous celebs.
I think none of Illumination's VA choices will stick out as much as Trey Parker in DM3. He's arguably a celebrity considering the popularity of South Park and The Book of Mormon, but you usually only get to see his vocal talent in things he and Matt Stone work together on. Which are anything but family friendly.

Last edited:

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
I think none of Illumination's VA choices will stick out as much as Trey Parker in DM3. He's arguably a celebrity considering the popularity of South Park and The Book of Mormon, but you usually only get to see his vocal talent in things he and Matt Stone work together on. Which are anything but family friendly.
You can say the same about Seth McFarland

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
You can say the same about Seth McFarland
Seth MacFarlane doesn't really restrict himself to only being featured in his own creations like Matt & Trey do. He's a regular on Robot Chicken, which is most likely thanks to Seth Green being a co-star on Family Guy anyway.

Last edited:

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
bruh, can someone tell Tara to stop:

Charles is literally in this ****ing movie. Why she acting like he’s being discriminated against, when Charles literally supports this movie.

She must really ****ing hate Chris Pratt for some reason. This is like her third post about Charles. Your not even in this movie presumably for Christ sake.
ding ding ding THAT IS CORRRRRECT
Based casting, love his performances, and having met him at cons, he’s super chill in real life.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble

Charles is literally in this ****ing movie. Why she acting like he’s being discriminated against, when Charles literally supports this movie.

She must really ****ing hate Chris Pratt for some reason. This is like her third post about Charles. Your not even in this movie presumably for Christ sake.

Based casting, love his performances, and having met him at cons, he’s super chill in real life.
At the same time though I get it, he's not playing the characters who're inseperable from his performances for the past 25 ish years and replaced by a factory made AI voice in the version he's in whereas every other language at least tries to be like Martinet's version of the character. Tara Strong's also made a big deal of legacy VAs not doing their biggest roles, seeing as how upset she was at being replaced for Bubbles in the PPG reboot despite willing to work for chump change for said role

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend

I wouldn't be surprised if she did hate the guy, lots of people in the industry do.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719

I wouldn't be surprised if she did hate the guy, lots of people in the industry do.
Dedicated voice actors generally hate it when celebrities are hired for voice work, except in cases like Mike Myers who can definitely do a wide range of voices.

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
At the same time though I get it, he's not playing the characters who're inseperable from his performances for the past 25 ish years and replaced by a factory made AI voice in the version he's in whereas every other language at least tries to be like Martinet's version of the character. Tara Strong's also made a big deal of legacy VAs not doing their biggest roles, seeing as how upset she was at being replaced for Bubbles in the PPG reboot despite willing to work for chump change for said role
Sure I get this, but this also falls completely flat. She was complaining solely about Mario, despite you know, the fact Charles’s voices Luigi to. She’s clearly pushing her agenda of hating Chris Pratt here above all us and that’s kinda of disgusting to disguise it other wise. Especially when I’m pretty sure she’s made mention of buying into the stupid ass theory that Chris Pratt is somehow homo phobic, despite there being nothing to suggest this.

cashregister9

Smash Hero
To add to this, Hollywood also treats Voice Actors like dirt.

Remember how we had to fight to even get Colleen O'Shaughnessey's name on the poster for Sonic 2?

Last edited:

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Finally got off of work to watch. Am still cautiously optimistic but hopeful. I really think I need to see more as the only thing that really impressed me was the shading & lighting. The trailer was a lot shorter than I would have thought given the hype train I feel Nintendo was trying to generate.

I have no opinion on the voice acting as I feel I need to see more. Chris Pratt's Mario does sound a little gruffer than his normal voice, but there wasn't enough I feel to make a definitive judgement on his performance. Personally more than anything I'm just trying to come to grips with Mario characters talking in full sentences (especially when we haven't heard Seth Rogen's Donkey Kong yet).

I just hope the writing will be decent. :starman:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Sure I get this, but this also falls completely flat. She was complaining solely about Mario, despite you know, the fact Charles’s voices Luigi to. She’s clearly pushing her agenda of hating Chris Pratt here above all us and that’s kinda of disgusting to disguise it other wise. Especially when I’m pretty sure she’s made mention of buying into the stupid ass theory that Chris Pratt is somehow homo phobic, despite there being nothing to suggest this.
I mean, we haven't had anything beyond a grunt for Charlie Day's performance, Charlie Day was also seen as good casting during the reveal unlike Chris Pratt and most importantly, Luigi isn't the one who's name is on the title. As for Chris Pratt having no evidence for homophobia, he defended a church which spewed homophobia before going "Um actually I never went to that church" 3 years after the fact. Like, 3 actual years between statements.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Mama Tara probably remembered the controversy Scoob caused by recasting everyone but Scooby

Shroob

Sup?
It is kinda funny though just how

Well

Charlie Day fits Luigi.

Like, Charles Martinet will always be Luigi to me

But I'm just saying

We've only heard like, 2 grunts of Movie!Luigi, and my brain just went "Yeah, that perfectly fits."

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
I mean, we haven't had anything beyond a grunt for Charlie Day's performance, Charlie Day was also seen as good casting during the reveal unlike Chris Pratt and most importantly, Luigi isn't the one who's name is on the title. As for Chris Pratt having no evidence for homophobia, he defended a church which spewed homophobia before going "Um actually I never went to that church" 3 years after the fact. Like, 3 actual years between statements.
Doesn’t matter what we have heard or not heard. Doesn’t matter how much he fits, the movie is the super Mario BROS. The entire point has been over the years they luigi should be credited just as much.

Also last I checked, it was proven Chris Pratt never commented or had involvement with that church. Could be wrong, so if there’s a source for that go ahead.

If you want to get even more technical, bowser isn’t voiced by any of the same actors either, but she’s not complaining there. It just seems petty and kinda an ass movie to try and discredit one person in the film for no real reason.

Dislike them if you want, but repeatedly forcing that agenda onto people is just a **** move. Dislike the voicing or casting, but to try and drag Chris for doing nothing wrong is not the right move for someone trying to get all actors to be respected.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Doesn’t matter what we have heard or not heard. Doesn’t matter how much he fits, the movie is the super Mario BROS. The entire point has been over the years they luigi should be credited just as much.

Also last I checked, it was proven Chris Pratt never commented or had involvement with that church. Could be wrong, so if there’s a source for that go ahead.

If you want to get even more technical, bowser isn’t voiced by any of the same actors either, but she’s not complaining there. It just seems petty and kinda an ass movie to try and discredit one person in the film for no real reason.

Dislike them if you want, but repeatedly forcing that agenda onto people is just a **** move. Dislike the voicing or casting, but to try and drag Chris for doing nothing wrong is not the right move for someone trying to get all actors to be respected.
No offence but Mario is still the face of the franchise and the titular character, hence why the main star being criticized is different from a side character, it isn't The Mario and Luigi Movie

If you look up 'Chris Pratt defends church' you'll see a bunch of articles from early February 2019 where Pratt does indeed defend a homophobic church citing his Instagram account and mentioning Ellen Degeneres and Stephen Colbert who had minor involvement in all that. Hell, you can even find the time he admitted to flashing himself to Amy Poehler and Rashida Jones, so saying he did 'nothing wrong' is also inaccurate

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
No offence but Mario is still the face of the franchise and the titular character, hence why the main star being criticized is different from a side character, it isn't The Mario and Luigi Movie

If you look up 'Chris Pratt defends church' you'll see a bunch of articles from early February 2019 where Pratt does indeed defend a homophobic church citing his Instagram account and mentioning Ellen Degeneres and Stephen Colbert who had minor involvement in all that. Hell, you can even find the time he admitted to flashing himself to Amy Poehler and Rashida Jones, so saying he did 'nothing wrong' is also inaccurate
Nothing wrong was meant in the context of him taking the role. It’s a studios decision to move forward with a different actor, not pratts. Nor should he deny a role if a company was interested.

Anyway moving onto your Other two points.
Breaking this first one into a spoiler because it’s long:
To start, the church stuff seems pretty stupid imo. The church described itself to the public as accepting all.

Yes they don’t affirm gay marriage, but this isnt something they openly say. So to think Chris Pratt, a busy man who is probably in an out of a church on Sunday, would know about the inner workings of this church seems super unrealistic. Honestly they spout straight up homophobic psalms every Sunday, Chris Pratt would more then likely have no reason to believe they are problematic. He’s not making donations or **** like that, so this really just seems like Elliot Page created way bigger drama from a conversation that could have been had privately. There is nothing else in Chris Prats life that alludes to him sharing any of those beliefs. So I find it a bit unfair To judge and think someone like him would know this much. Maybe I’m wrong, but the fact he left this place should say a lot.

But as a Catholic I hold some very different views from the modern day church. I honestly really dislike the priest at my current church, but I don’t go to mass to listen to him, i go there because it’s still a place to connect to god. The scum bags trying to manipulate the positive messages of religion have no respect for me and it’s why I kinda resent having to go there evey Sunday, but it’s the only church in my area. The priest goes on about **** like how we should only pray for the Catholics in Ukraine, or how abortion shouldn’t be legal( spent an entire damn mass talking about just this). It’s horrible, and I disagree greatly, but I go because being in a church matters to my family and I wont disrespect their belief there, especially when they don’t like the priest either. The bottom line is religion is complicated and the everyday man is likely to not look to much last what they hear or see in a church. So if this church had no signs of homophobia publicly, then I can see why he wouldn’t think anything of it.
Onto your second point, yeah the flashing **** is bad, but again it seems like he realized how much he ****ed up there and got his act together after that. This was 8 years ago and a person can change a lot in the time. Considering he wasn’t flashing multiple women routinely or worse like some of the pigs in Hollywood, that shows a clear sign of growth imo.

More importantly, his Co workers from that show still stay in contact with him can’t stop saying nice things about him. Even his Marvel co stars all came to vouch for him when fans were mad he wouldn’t attend political rallies with his co stars( which is asinine. Actors should not be trying to sway political power and good on Chris for refusing that.).

If all these people who have absolutely no reason to speak so highly of him, then I have to imagine there’s good reason. He’s seen to genuinely grown as a person, which tbh most actors don’t when they make mistakes. He’a made mistakes and there’s no pass for forgetting about them, but if he’s actually moved on to do better, then that’s a good thing and he shouldn’t be dragged in the mud for it. There’s way bigger assholes in Hollywood who have still escaped justice for worse then Chris. Anyone is free to dislike him, but with all the stories backing him up as being a better person, it’s screwed up to try and throw all this shade at him for a Mario movie of all things.

Guh-Huzzah!

Totally humorous voice over and YouTube guy.
Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893

Charles is such a sweet guy, I seriously doubt he's bitter about this or anything. That said, being denied to voice a major character that you've voiced for years and heavily influenced sucks regardless. Much as I don't like Tara Strong, seems like she's just trying to show support.

Top Bottom