• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social The Social Thread 3.2.1

What do you want most in a Switch Successor?

• Total voters

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Now this says to me that it could be a 3D game. Every DK 2D platformer (besides Jungle Beat) has the Country branding, but Donkey Kong 64 doesn’t because it’s a different kind of monkey game. Perhaps this game is similar.

Regardless, I wouldn’t worry about characters like Cranky, Diddy, Dixie, or even Funky. The LEGO sets and the movie shows that they’re sticking around. Hell, maybe Smash Bros convinced them to bring K Rool back.

I do have a few questions though. 1) What has Necro gotten right before. And 2) what precisely do they say about Donkey Kong?
I remember this from a leak a while ago. The leak said it was 2D but Nintendo EAD didn't want to call it Country because they don't want to "work on an installment in a series they didn't create". Which is stupid. They basically described a game with all the aspects of a country game in that leak, as far as characters went. But Nintendo was insistent on calling something that looked and quaked like a duck a crawdad.

Honestly it will probably go down in history as one of the most minorly irritating DK games if these leaks are true.

Noipoi

Howdy!
I remember this from a leak a while ago. The leak said it was 2D but Nintendo EAD didn't want to call it Country because they don't want to "work on an installment in a series they didn't create". Which is stupid. They basically described a game with all the aspects of a country game in that leak, as far as characters went. But Nintendo was insistent on calling something that looked and quaked like a duck a crawdad.

Honestly it will probably go down in history as one of the most minorly irritating DK games if these leaks are true.
If it's a good enough game the name doesn't matter much to me.

I see a lot of people talking about it being a Mario x DK adventure, though. While I wouldn't exactly mind, I know some people who'd have an aneurysm over it...

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
You know, I always wondered, even as a kid. When DreamWorks was making cartoons with Nickelodeon, why they didn't make a Shrek cartoon? It was their biggest franchise after all. Like, Penguins made sense. Kung Fu Panda made sense. And then they do... Monsters vs. Aliens, and then desert Nick for Cartoon Network for the Dragons cartoons.

As a kid I never got it. It made all the sense in the world to me for Nickelodeon and DreamWorks to make a Shrek cartoon together, and then when Dragons blew up for them to do that cartoon on their network. But I guess banking on MvA was too much of a blunder and that blew the relationship.

Imagine an alternate timeline where they did what I lined out instead, their relationship bloomed, and DreamWorks was bought by Paramount/CBSViacom instead of Universal Studios? Doesn't that feel like a better timeline?
If it's a good enough game the name doesn't matter much to me.

I see a lot of people talking about it being a Mario x DK adventure, though. While I wouldn't exactly mind, I know some people who'd have an aneurysm over it...
By some people you mean Hyle Russle. Doing that would make the man pop open a vain in his forhead and/or throw a tantrum the size of a texas oil well.

I just get worried that they'll insist on having things be close to DKC, some of the characters and aesthetics etc, but not be quite right and be different in weird in off putting ways for the sake of being "their DK" instead of just giving us more of the DK we want without feeling the need to personalize it.

Noipoi

Howdy!
By some people you mean Hyle Russle. Doing that would make the man pop open a vain in his forhead and/or throw a tantrum the size of a texas oil well.
I’m not one to take joy from people’s suffering, but I admit I’m morbidly curious to see exactly how he’d react to such an announcement.

Last edited:

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
Nickelodeon is doing a Turtles Forever 2 type of thing for the 87 Turtles comic series in June. The 2012 and Rise Turtles will be involved…and here is a picture of the cover
View attachment 383432
Mirage Leo, Rise Raph, 2012 Mikey and 03 Donnie.

You know, I wonder how a Turtles Forever deal with The Last Ronin would go.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Randomly remembered and am now revisiting a part of my baby era childhood. VHS tape shows based on toys that just came in the box with said toy. Specifically Play-Doh’s Doh-Doh Island Adventures. and Fisher Price’s Little People tapes. I was obsessed with these. And now as an adult I wonder what possessed them to make entire cartoons not to play on television or to sell separately but to put in the box with the toy

Man, toddler me was so obsessed with Fisher Price’s Little People. Especially the ones with the animals in the sets (I was the animal kid in my class). I had the completed farm, zoo, circus, Noah’s ark, and Dinosaur lines just so I could have as many animals as possible. And as an adult I still have none of them and am probably going to spend a fortune re-acquiring them (if I ever have a fortune to spend).

Noipoi

Howdy!
Man, toddler me was so obsessed with Fisher Price’s Little People. Especially the ones with the animals in the sets (I was the animal kid in my class). I had the completed farm, zoo, circus, Noah’s ark, and Dinosaur lines just so I could have as many animals as possible. And as an adult I still have none of them and am probably going to spend a fortune re-acquiring them (if I ever have a fortune to spend).
BASED

And now as an adult I wonder what possessed them to make entire cartoons not to play on television or to sell separately but to put in the box with the toy
Money

Last edited:

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
BASED

Money
As a kid and as an adult it bothered me that they made so many animals but the only wolf they ever made was the big bad wolf from little red riding hood. That doesn't belong in a zoo and it was the only animal kid me could think of that I was "missing". I guess that didn't do snakes either but they never really did small animals (other than birds and the occasional fish).

Pink Yoshi

Smash Lord
That just reminded me of this edutainment game featuring the Little People that I played extremely often as a kid. Simpler times...

View attachment 383433

The Hidden Treasure of Cleveland
That's just Splatoon 3

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
Now this says to me that it could be a 3D game. Every DK 2D platformer (besides Jungle Beat) has the Country branding, but Donkey Kong 64 doesn’t because it’s a different kind of monkey game. Perhaps this game is similar.

Regardless, I wouldn’t worry about characters like Cranky, Diddy, Dixie, or even Funky. The LEGO sets and the movie shows that they’re sticking around. Hell, maybe Smash Bros convinced them to bring K Rool back.

I do have a few questions though. 1) What has Necro gotten right before. And 2) what precisely do they say about Donkey Kong?
Haven’t heard of them but looking into it, they predicted the end of service for ea sports game and other stuff. Also have some other rumors like far cry 7 is a launch title for switch 2.

hes apparently the editor in chief at universe Nintendo.. so having connections is not impossible.

all they said is next game is not country despite a rumor going around it was.
Donkey Kong bullet hell shooter
His coconut gun can fire in spurts.

If it hits ya, it’s gonna hurt!

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
You know it’s weird. I was the animal kid, which led into me becoming the dinosaur kid, and then the alien kid. But I never got into Pokémon till I was in college. The closest I got was a Neopets plush I got in a McDonalds happy meal that I thought was a Pokémon (that I still have remarkably, it’s a red Gelert). Probably cause the anime aired on Cartoon Network, and my mom didn’t let me watch Cartoon Network until I was in the 4th grade (in a desperate attempt to get me to stop watching preschool shows) but I still never watched Pokémon so I wasn’t really exposed to its content. I don’t think I ever really understood that Pokémon were supposed to be like animals until after I started playing smash in high school and even then it was confusing as a newcomer thanks to the likes of Mewtwo, Lucario, and let’s face it, Greninja. It’s a shame. I had a ds and a 3DS as a kid. If I had known I’d probably be a jaded Pokémon fan like the rest of you.

Shroob

Sup?
You know it’s weird. I was the animal kid, which led into me becoming the dinosaur kid, and then the alien kid. But I never got into Pokémon till I was in college. The closest I got was a Neopets plush I got in a McDonalds happy meal that I thought was a Pokémon (that I still have remarkably, it’s a red Gelert). Probably cause the anime aired on Cartoon Network, and my mom didn’t let me watch Cartoon Network until I was in the 4th grade (in a desperate attempt to get me to stop watching preschool shows) but I still never watched Pokémon so I wasn’t really exposed to its content. I don’t think I ever really understood that Pokémon were supposed to be like animals until after I started playing smash in high school and even then it was confusing as a newcomer thanks to the likes of Mewtwo, Lucario, and let’s face it, Greninja. It’s a shame. I had a ds and a 3DS as a kid. If I had known I’d probably be a jaded Pokémon fan like the rest of you.
Hey now, I'm not jaded.

I'm obsidian. :nifty:

Noipoi

Howdy!
I wouldn't call myself jaded anymore, actually. I was most jaded post Sw/Sh, but Legends Arceus mellowed me out. Showed me they could still make good ****.

I actually think the franchise is heading in a good direction, all they need to do is optimize their goddamn games :239:

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
Afaik this is about people modding PalWorld to actually include Pokemon, not the game itself.
Side note, I'm kinda surprised they haven't gone after Showdown.

But given that they actually do support an active competitive scene, I think it's intentional to keep it up.

Last edited:

Noipoi

Howdy!

But given that they actually do support an active competitive scene, I think it's intentional to keep it up.
I've wondered that forever tbh.

Sims have existed long before Showdown yet they've just, never cared. It's weird.
Don’t jinx it

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
I've wondered that forever tbh.

Sims have existed long before Showdown yet they've just, never cared. It's weird.
I think it's in their best interest to just keep it up, given that a lot of comp players use it to practice, and again, they actually do care about the comp scene.

Like there's no way they aren't aware that it exists, it's been up and running for decades now.

Shroob

Sup?
I think it's in their best interest to just keep it up, given that a lot of comp players use it to practice, and again, they actually do care about the comp scene.

Like there's no way they aren't aware that it exists, it's been up and running for decades now.
They've def turned a blind eye to PKHex until recently, and even then it's more of just an idiot-proof hack check.

Outside of people who RNG Manipulate, I don't at all think people play Pokemon at a comp level legit. :nifty:

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946

People really oversell pokemon caring about fan projects. Like they don’t give a damn. Uranium was the last game shut down and that’s because they were making money behind the scenes on the wiki. At least that’s what I heard when I was on staff at one of the biggest Pokemon forums at the time.

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
Outside of people who RNG Manipulate, I don't at all think people play Pokemon at a comp level legit. :nifty:
I mean try training a Comp Pokemon in a pre-HD game.

You got your answer
People really oversell pokemon caring about fan projects. Like they don’t give a damn. Uranium was the last game shut down and that’s because they were making money behind the scenes on the wiki. At least that’s what I heard when I was on staff at one of the biggest Pokemon forums at the time.
They're definitely more lenient than Nintendo as a whole, but they can still strike if they feel like it.

Shroob

Sup?
I mean try training a Comp Pokemon in a pre-HD game.

You got your answer

They're definitely more lenient than Nintendo as a whole, but they can still strike if they feel like it.
Honestly, even in the HD games, comp players take it to the next level since they need 0 IVs in Attack or Speed.

I legit cannot imagine hunting Legendaries only to reset over and over and over again just to make a single number 0.

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
What about Prism? That also got taken down in about the same month.

Shroob

Sup?
They've definitely made Comp easier than ever, but to this day they still haven't addressed all issues.

0 speed IVs is pretty vital for Trick Room Teams, yet they've never introduced say, a Rusty Bottlecap to fix this.

And Mints for as much of a godsend as they are still have an Achilles heel. Confusion uses your natural nature to calculate damage, so even if you Mint to a minus attack nature, the game calcs it with your original one.

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
On a different note, Zelda taking over the lost continent seems to be real:

Alphine Agnitio

Certified Nerd™

Yeah I think this is the reason personally

Its like Konami and Duelingbook: it doesn't undercut their profits but also isn't competiting or taking sales away directly nor adversly affecting their IP so they don't care enough to C&D, I imagine the negative PR would be too much

Top Bottom