• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social The Social Thread 3.2.1

Favorite announcement of today's double Direct feature

• Balatro: Friends of Jimbo update

Votes: 1 3.2%
  • Neva

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Coffee Talk Tokyo

• Powerwash Simulator Shrek DLC

Votes: 2 6.5%
  • Date Everything!

• Pizza Tower

Votes: 14 45.2%
  • Other (Indie World)

• Tetris Forever + NES Tetris on NSO + Tetris 99 Cup

Votes: 4 12.9%
  • The Legend of Heroes Trial in the Sky the 1st

Votes: 5 16.1%
  • Spongebob Squarepants: The Patrick Star Game

• Fitness Boxing 3

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Capcom Fighting Collection 2

Votes: 16 51.6%
  • Atelier Yumia: The Alchemist of Memories & The Envisioned Land

• Castlevania Dominus Collection

Votes: 13 41.9%
  • MySims Cozy Bundle

Votes: 3 9.7%
  • Rune Factory: Guardians of Azuma

• Yakuza Kiwami

Votes: 3 9.7%
  • Other (Partner Showcase)

• Nothing in Either

• The Sonic 3 Trailer

Votes: 15 48.4%

• Total voters

Shroob

Sup?
I think the truth about ARMs is it just.... didn't?

I feel like Nintendo was expecting lightning to strike twice like it did with Splatoon and it just, fumbled. If anything, in terms of new IPs, I'd say Ring Fit came closer to that level than ARMs ever did. There was a period where Ring Fit was EVERYWHERE.

Alphine Agnitio

Certified Nerd™

I feel like Nintendo was expecting lightning to strike twice like it did with Splatoon and it just, fumbled. If anything, in terms of new IPs, I'd say Ring Fit came closer to that level than ARMs ever did. There was a period where Ring Fit was EVERYWHERE.
I think part of it was the game being so tied to motion controls and being extremely finnicky with them, theres no realistic way to take the gimmick farther than it already had or scrap it to make the game more tailored for competitive play but that would remove a lot of the charm

I remember the game felt super sluggish to play because of input delay issues, or inputs not being registered at all

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Whenever when it was cool for everyone to **** on this guy?

I understand finding his music annoying, but the way so many grown adults were just wishing death on this kid is kinda gross in hindsight.
one of the many consequences in getting big in Hollywood…even worse when you remember he had a bit of a meltdown once he broke (didn’t help that he was forcingly kissed upon by an adult woman on live tv only for her to get cheered)

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
I think they're being sarcastic, they complain a lot about the more realistic character approach in PxZ.

Personally when it comes to a SEGA roster I'd want it to have a nice variety of stuff from across eras - I'm not a fan of when ppl fill up their rosters with a million Genesis one-offs, so I think it'd be good to have a better balance of stuff from not just that console, but also arcades, the Saturn, Dreamcast, their third-party era, a roster that more fully represents SEGA's wider output. I'd also personally like the picks to lean more Japanese, just because I think that's the more interesting and varied perspective on SEGA's history, and I didn't like how biased All-Stars Racing was towards the more mascot-styled characters - though I certainly wouldn't take those out of the running entirely if I were in charge either. A good balance is key.

this approach I'd take is also why I really don't understand the idea that SEGA has gotta add characters like Billy and Vectorman when I personally find them to be very minor characters in the grander SEGA library but that's neither here nor there
In all true honesty I think the roster of a SEGA thing should be decided by people who want both a Japanese lean and an American/Genesis era Mascot era lean on a committee together. Because otherwise one audience will feel left out compared to the other. It's not that I don't want characters from Phantasy Star, Yakuza, Persona/SMT, Shining Force, etc. But if the game is to be sold in multiple regions, we should also have Billy Hatcher, Vectorman, Earthworm Jim (third party I know but a lot of people associate him with SEGA), Golden Sun, Streets of Rage, and Ristar.

cashregister9

Smash Hero
Some light has been shed on the ARMS graphic novel that was quietly canceled a long time ago

View attachment 380940

I'm still pissed off that it never came to full fruition. All we have for ARMS prints is its preview comic and the Japan only ARMS Sugo Ude Gag Fight manga.
Man the story of these whole thing is super disappointing, I Really hope they do end up doing something with Arms instead of just dooming it to the pit of Underutilized Nintendo IPs.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed

Eh. I liked it. But it's not a fighting game I go back to play all the time.

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed

The fact of the matter is that Nintendo did not make it interesting enough as a game to sell. Splatoon went guns blazing right off the bat, it looked super unique gameplay wise on top of looking visually stunning with a colorful cast to boot.

ARMS on the other hand, looked like it got stale fast and they did nothing to beat those allegations. If it wasn't for Nintendo mobbing you with Twintelle's ass or Etika (bless his soul) hyping the ever loving life out of Min Min it would've gone the F-Zeeo route day one.

Shroob

Sup?
Eh. I liked it. But it's not a fighting game I go back to play all the time.
Yeah, it's not a BAD game by any means.

But you can just kinda, tell that Nintendo was expecting it to be the next big brand new IP they could milk like what happened with Splatoon and it just... didn't? Like, it didn't sell bad or anything, in fact, for a new IP, it sold great, but I don't think they feel a high level of confidence in the IP.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Gee, I wonder what Nick All Star Brawl shaped game that reminds me of.

Oh wait,
One that you WOULD be playing if your favorite eceleb gave you permission to do it? Because what "mid allegations" are there for NASB2 besides the roster not having everyone back?

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
One that you WOULD be playing if your favorite eceleb gave you permission to do it? Because what "mid allegations" are there for NASB2 besides the roster not having everyone back?
the abuse of fire benders doesn’t help, but as someone who likely isn’t getting the game anytime soon that’s probably it (for now at the least)

also I’m pretty sure the Shroob Shroob from the hit RPG game Mario & Luigi: Partners in Time is only speaking of the 1st NASB game

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
I said Nick All Star Brawl.

Not 2.

:nifty:
Yeah sorry I'm just unnecessarily bootyblasted over still not being able to play a game starring Nigel Thornberry with the specific people that I want to.

part of the reason my rumproast is excessive is because it DOES have single player content this time so I don't need to play with friends

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Kirby games are so funny tbh, this is a reoccuring puzzle type but the series also had a "Hey kid learn what the **** i-frames are or take damage" puzzle that's just as old as this, it's not just baby's first platformer or baby's first eldritch horror, it's also baby's first beat em up
Yeah sorry I'm just unnecessarily bootyblasted over still not being able to play a game starring Nigel Thornberry with the specific people that I want to.

part of the reason my rumproast is excessive is because it DOES have single player content this time so I don't need to play with friends
Getting mad at people for not playing a mediocre game by calling them sheep who only buy ganes based on whatever a youtuber says isn't gonna make people want to play it's sequel with you lmao

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Getting mad at people for not playing a mediocre game by calling them sheep who only buy ganes based on whatever a youtuber says
Hey, good thing Max Dood said "Alright, I'm impressed".

And to be fair, acting like the devs have never tried listening to critics, or that what they did doesn't count, won't encourage people to give the sequel a chance either.

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
I swear that Youtube must have a push for Mortal Kombat lately because I'm still getting SOO MANY videos related to it.

Granted, maybe it's because I watched gameplay of the new game's Switch version and what the actual ****.

Jondolio

Smash Hero
Just watched Schadfrillas' review of Wish, a movie I don't care about.

Seems like Disney forgot to turn on the gas this year cause they aren't cooking ****

Last edited:

HyperSomari64

Smash Master
Dumb theorycrafting/headcanon: The Golden Age of American Animation ended when the first episode of Scooby-Doo! Where Are You? premiered in 1969.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I swear that Youtube must have a push for Mortal Kombat lately because I'm still getting SOO MANY videos related to it.

Granted, maybe it's because I watched gameplay of the new game's Switch version and what the actual ****.
"Graphics don't matter, only gameplay should matter!" Mfers when they see a 70 dollar Switch game look Like That

Shroob

Sup?
"Graphics don't matter, only gameplay should matter!" Mfers when they see a 70 dollar Switch game look Like That
I mean, by no means do I really care that hard about graphics. To me, as long as the game runs well I don't mind.

BUT at the same time, if the game looks THAT bad, and runs THAT bad, then maybe just.... don't? I don't really consider Nintendo a Mortal Kombat adjacent system despite its history on the SNES and N64, so I have to wonder why they even bothered.

Last edited:

Noipoi

Howdy!
So my sister is hosting the turkey day festivities for my immediate family. She also got married less then a week ago. She is the oldest of me and my siblings, the next one up is... me. Still single, not even thinking about marriage. I can sense the convos a mile away.

Pray for me plz.
Do something crazy, like rob a bank, or kidnap the nearest politician.

That way your family will ask about your crimes, instead of your relationship status :4pacman:

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
Do something crazy, like rob a bank, or kidnap the nearest politician.

That way your family will ask about your crimes, instead of your relationship status :4pacman:
I mean if the convo comes up then idk may as well roll with it. Won't be pretty though, some reason my dad was acting like I told him I burned down an orphanage when I said marriage isn't on my top 10 priorities atm the other day

cashregister9

Smash Hero
The Golden Age Of Animation actually ended when Eadweard Muybridge was paid to take photos of Leland Stanford's horse in motion.

Last edited:

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
To put rough timeframes to it, and using comic book lingo, the golden age of animation was the 20's, 30s, 40s, and partly the 50s. The Silver age of animation is partly the 50s, the 60s, and the 70s. The Bronze age of animation is the 80s, 90s, and 2000s. The 2010s and 20202 make up the "Current/Modern" Era.

HyperSomari64

Smash Master
I mostly prefer the fact that 1972 was the last year for Golden Age Cartoons, when Walter Lantz' studio and TerryToons ceased operations.

Last edited:

---

大空のぶっとび
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
To put rough timeframes to it, and using comic book lingo, the golden age of animation was the 20's, 30s, 40s, and partly the 50s. The Silver age of animation is partly the 50s, the 60s, and the 70s. The Bronze age of animation is the 80s, 90s, and 2000s. The 2010s and 20202 make up the "Current/Modern" Era.
That's about how I would define it, except maybe I'd say the Bronze age was about 1985 to 2005. That was about the time when we saw animation make a comeback from the lows of the 60s/70s, the rise of Japanese/Korean Animation Studios (Anime & Western Studios exporting work overseas), and the shift from Traditional/Cel Animation to Digital & Computer Animation.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
That's about how I would define it, except maybe I'd say the Bronze age was about 1985 to 2005. That was about the time when we saw animation make a comeback from the lows of the 60s/70s, the rise of Japanese/Korean Animation Studios (Anime & Western Studios exporting work overseas), and the shift from Traditional/Cel Animation to Digital & Computer Animation.
I can definitely get behind that beginning date but the ending date… it’s a little hard for me to put it at 2005. Especially when the flavor of animation as a whole changed so drastically right with the decade with the advent of Adventure Time and other shows that debuted along side it and followed in its wake.

Top Bottom