• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social The Social Thread 3.2.1

Favorite announcement of this Direct?

• Total voters

Jondolio

Smash Hero
People are acting like Morbius is the only movie Avi Arad ever produced

Bro produced every Spider-Man related thing since the Raimi trilogy. It's not much better since he's responsible for why Spider-Man 3 was the way it was but still, worth mentioning

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
I haven't seen the Sonic movies but

I didn't really care for the Mario movie ngl.

It was a cute kids movie, and it set out what it needed to do, but I had severe whiplash pains after watching it.
you needed more peaches in your life to fully understand the masterpiece of the movie

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
I'm not even a Sonic fan tbh but I honestly liked the movies, especially the second one. That was fun.
Yeah but the 2nd one actually took some risks, Mario and especially Sonic 1 were super by the numbers and were just safe flicks that aren't gonna wow anyone who aren't in the know. And I'm saying that as a longtime fan of both franchises.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
The Illumination Mario-Verse definitely will be getting somewhere for when we see the glory that's King K. Rool!

I hope...Hopefully, Nintendo doesn't pull off another Tikis/Snowmen...

Stephen Fry as King K. Rool is a real missed opportunity. Having that British accent that I can only envision.

Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
I like to imagine it as the true finale to finish off the show.

(I imagine that Courage was dealing with many unseen threats after the Fog episode which was an attempt of reviving the series into CGI way before he met Scooby in the movie)
Personally I wouldn't mind a movie special where Courage going into space and searching for his parents. Ending having Courage's parents settling down and living with the Bagges.

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
The Mario movie is bland as ****
The first Sonic movie is mid, standard fare CG character bonds with basic human character stuff and doesn't really stand out from others in that type of film.
Sonic 2 was fairly good but still held back from being genuinely really good, that wedding sub-plot was funny but really not needed at all

People are acting like Morbius is the only movie Avi Arad ever produced

Bro produced every Spider-Man related thing since the Raimi trilogy. It's not much better since he's responsible for why Spider-Man 3 was the way it was but still, worth mentioning
Sure but he also did the Ghost in the Shell movie that whitewashed the Major, the Ghost Rider movies, the ASM movies, both Venom movies, Kraven which looks **** and the Uncharted movie. He has some really good hits with the Raimi movies (3 is still fairly solid in spite of Arad however), the MCU trilogy (which uh... yeah there's other people keeping that in check) and the Spiderverse movies but there's more misses than hits and some of the misses are extremely ****ing bad.

I'm sure Nintendo will have a ton of involvement but the only outcomes of this are pure ass or the middest mid to ever mid since James Cameron's Avatar.

Jondolio

Smash Hero
Sure but he also did the Ghost in the Shell movie that whitewashed the Major, the Ghost Rider movies, the ASM movies, both Venom movies, Kraven which looks **** and the Uncharted movie. He has some really good hits with the Raimi movies (3 is still fairly solid in spite of Arad however), the MCU trilogy (which uh... yeah there's other people keeping that in check) and the Spiderverse movies but there's more misses than hits and some of the misses are extremely ****ing bad.

I'm sure Nintendo will have a ton of involvement but the only outcomes of this are pure ass or the middest mid to ever mid since James Cameron's Avatar.
That's not my point.

My point is that applying Morbius memes to this is kinda cringe. Just like Morbius memes in general after April 2022.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
The first Sonic movie is mid, standard fare CG character bonds with basic human character stuff and doesn't really stand out from others in that type of film.
To be fair. It was the first movie. First movies always start off small in a series of sequels with a beginning. The second film was grander in terms of starting to follow more closer to the games.

Shroob

Sup?
Also, irt the Mario movie

Maybe it's just me but Bowser felt, off, really off.

Not Jack Black, he was phenomenal as Bowser and honestly perfect, but the way he was portrayed.

The scenes where he was being imposing, or the scenes where he was being a goober in love with Peach? Great!

The scene where he was going to SACRIFICE THE PRISONERS is ????? Sacrifice to who? Does Bowser worship some pagan god that requires sacrifice??? Bowser may be a bad guy, but he's never really been a 'bad guy'. He's a villain, but he has a loveable side to him.

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
Also, irt the Mario movie

Maybe it's just me but Bowser felt, off, really off.

Not Jack Black, he was phenomenal as Bowser and honestly perfect, but the way he was portrayed.

The scenes where he was being imposing, or the scenes where he was being a goober in love with Peach? Great!

The scene where he was going to SACRIFICE THE PRISONERS is ????? Sacrifice to who? Does Bowser worship some pagan god that requires sacrifice??? Bowser may be a bad guy, but he's never really been a 'bad guy'. He's a villain, but he has a loveable side to him.
Sacrifice a village so a stork can deliver him Bowser Jr. Duh.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
I still love the idea of Illumination's King K. Rool's deranged nature being so unsettling that he even disturbs Bowser.

A good explanation for why he had never teamed up with him.

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
To be fair. It was the first movie. First movies always start off small in a series of sequels with a beginning. The second film was grander in terms of starting to follow more closer to the games.
You can still make first movies that aren't boring as ****, it's nothing to do with being a smaller movie. It's everything to do with being bland.

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
Random fact today I learned: Apex form Koraidon swims in water instead of being on the float. I don't know why I thought he couldn't since bike form can, but that's neat.

I think the game says she's from Galar so it checks out.

However I didn't know that. I guess I have become a True Pokemon Fan (can't read)
Yeah, it's said during the Team Star arc as she's sent back home to the region for taking the fall for the original incident, but it's only one line so I'm not surprised it's overlooked.

Like with the other video game movies I'll just wait until it's out, there's not much to glean outside of a couple names and all of them have mixed track records so it could go either way.

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
Glad by brother in arms taught you how to properly use salt and pepper. May be to much for someone like you, but soon you'll be graduating to the high class seasonings like garlic powder
I ****ing LOVE using Galic powder. I put that **** in everything
Well I mean not baking but yeah

Last edited:

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
I look at the Mario movie and I worship it as a Mario project. I look at the Sonic movies and I get Sonic X + early 2000s Sonic feelings. I expect the movies to feel like the games and I got what I want. I’m do the same with Zelda and worship every second of the movie if it follows the same respectful beats as the Mario and Sonic movies (but of course in the way that feels like Zelda…also yes I need a “well excuse me princess” moment followed by Ganondorf doing his Suavemente moment)

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
I wonder how long it will be before there's a fannon design for Modern Era Trip that's generally accepted by the fanbase the way there is for characters like Mighty, Ray, and the Hooligans.

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
I'm more of a fan of Hameha seasoning, just four shakes is better than any of the powder.
Noted. Ill try that one day. I know when my dad makes chili (which ALWAYS slaps) he uses every spice he has and if we are making chili from the can, I always add spices because, i swear canned chili was made for people with no taste buds

Last edited:

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
Noted. Ill try that one day. I know when my dad makes chili (which ALWAYS slaps) he uses every spice he has and if we are making chili from the can, I always add spices because, i swear canned chili was made for people with no taste buds
Oh dear
Hameha salt doesn't exist, I was making fun of your spelling cause Galic...Galick Gun, Hameha, Kamehameha you get it I'm not funny

On the Zelda movie, I'm actually prepping myself to believe Tom Holland will be Link. That's Sony's golden boy and he could definitely pull off a pretty boy look. As for the other Zelda and Ganon, no idea but if it's pig ganon then CGI nuke fest.

Last edited:

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Oh dear
Hameha salt doesn't exist, I was making fun of your spelling cause Galic...Galick Gun, Hameha, Kamehameha you get it I'm not funny

On the Zelda movie, I'm actually prepping myself to believe Tom Holland will be Link. That's Sony's golden boy and he could definitely pull off a pretty boy look. As for the other Zelda and Ganon, no idea but if it's pig ganon then CGI nuke fest.
Andrew Garfield as Link tho

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
I think the game says she's from Galar so it checks out.

However I didn't know that. I guess I have become a True Pokemon Fan (can't read)
I could be wrong, but I believe they actually don’t say that.

She is said to have been sent to study abroad in Galar, after everything with Team star originally.

Last edited:

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
I could be wrong, but I believe they actually don’t say that.

She is said to have been sent to study abroad in Galar, after everything with Team star originally.
The exact line goes:

Harrington said:
I accepted the request and agreed not to take disciplinary action against Team Star. Then, I assigned 18 months of overseas study to the student who took responsibility for the team. [...] I wanted this student to take some time to rest, so I had them return home to the Galar region."
So she went back home for oversea studies, she wasn't sent to an unrelated region.

Reactions: Z25

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Personally I wouldn't mind a movie special where Courage going into space and searching for his parents. Ending having Courage's parents settling down and living with the Bagges.
Having watched the entire show, honestly it feels too chaotic for an ending like that to happen and feel like something that would actually be part of the show and not a fanfic someone wrote.

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
After really enjoying the Mario movie, looking forward to the Zelda one. Granted, different people involved but my initial reaction to the news was excitement and not apprehension.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
With Nintendo bankrolling most of the film's budget, I'm pretty confident that the film will be true to the games and not a dumpster fire that would damage the brand. That said, the film probably won't have the same leeway that Mario can be/was afforded by fans/critics. For the record, I enjoyed the movie overall.

Mario generally has a similar tone throughout each game and very rarely goes deep in terms of plot/world-building. Zelda is pretty much the exact opposite of that. Everyone is going to have their own idealized version of what the movie should be based on the game in the series they are the most fond of, so I can only imagine the level of internet discourse the film will have before and after release.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
The Mario movie is bland as ****
Sonic 2 was fairly good but still held back from being genuinely really good, that wedding sub-plot was funny but really not needed at all

I've gotta defend the wedding subplot tbh because unless I'm mistaken, it's the first time GUN have been depicted as villainous since 9/11 and as an SA2 babby I need my "Sonic says ACAB and **** the military"

Also the only time Avi Arad's nonsense has improved a movie was making Spot the villain in Spiderverse 2. Everything else he's done reeks of sin

Top Bottom