• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social THE Social Thread 2.0

Which was your favorite new Pokémon revealed from the Scarlet and Violet trailer?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

My favorite part is the lack of Controller Pak support... and one of the launch titles is WinBack, which needs it to save. So you basically have to resort to save states, ya know... an emulation feature. And that's coming from the company who always goes "emulation bad". Good going there guys.

And that's not even going into the tiny little details that people shouldn't have to resort to using workaround methods like this. If they're charging that amount of money, you'd expect to have at least basic functionality.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
OK.... I do not want to keep playing Chain of Memories. This isn't fun and I can't get my brain to comprehend a card battle system in real time combat. Should have been a turn based game IMO. But yeah. I know who the organization is. I know who Roxas is. I know why Sora is in the peapod thing. I've been on the internet for forever. I'm skipping Chain of Memories.

D

Deleted member

I am very forgiving. Critical, yes, but forgiving.

But this?

This is easily the most laughable thing they've done in years.

This is an Amiibo Festival level of bad.

This is like they were trying to parody Sega releases and forgot to tell everyone it was a joke.

Y'know what? If this is how they'll treat GCN, they can keep it. I'll stick with my original discs and back 'em up when they fail.
At least Amiibo festival gave you two amiibo for you shelf, so it's got that going for it.

PhantomShab

Smash Lord
Imagine paying $50 to play N64 games with input lag and ****ed up textures when you can just emulate them for free.

Last edited:

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
I’m critical of Nintendo as well because, like yeah, this is ridiculous ridiculous. Shockingly so. However, I still actually bought it. I know stuff is rough right now but hopefully they iron that out here soon.

It’s just disappointing honestly.

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
I wasn't calling it bad writing or a bad show. I wasn't even saying it was wrong for writing that line. I was just saying it's not really a show for me.

Being socially awkward is not the same thing as having "Aspergers" (which is an outdated term in the world of psychology now anyway but people still use it so whatever). But I don't think the point of that line with "Aspergers" wasn't mean to say that Reagan had autism (she's not ever officially stated to have it, I looked it up for confirmation), but it's clearly to show how her mother is toxic and attacks her self esteem. There's not official diagnosis, and her mother even spreads misinformation (it is NOT a condition that "gets worse" with time). And the dialogue was presented as a joke, so I did feel a little pain over that.

There is a stereotype that being autistic means just being a socially awkward or anti-social genius. A lot of people with ASD have internalized and romanticized it because the genius part makes us feel better about our disorder, and a lot of people buy into the more anti-social stereotypes because autistic people can accidently come off as rude due to our struggles in social contexts. I was like that before, but now that I'm older I realize I'm no genius and I'm tired of that romanticization as it's actually harmed me. This stereotype goes both ways - people act like all nerds are autistic just for being nerds, and I think that might have actually been what the show was representing. It's a stereotype that goes both ways and hurts autistic people and more neurotypical nerds alike.

In the context of Inside Job, Reagan's mom is presented as wrong for spreading this misinformation about autism and using it to attack Reagan's self esteem. To a degree I actually respect the show's decision to go there. But I just can't personally stomach it after my own experiences with autism. And a lot of people don't have the understanding about autism or mental disorders in general to know exactly why Reagan's mom is wrong about autism in the first place.

For the record, I actually really like Reagan as a character, regardless of if she's meant to have autism (I get the impression it's left ambiguous? Not really sure if the writers are qualified to write a truly autistic character anyway). She's a complex, morally gray character who has a clearly has a strong character arch set out for her and can be surprisingly sympathetic for someone so morally questionable.

P.S. I used the phrase "anti-social" a few times here. That's a term that gets misused a lot as well. Anti-social behavior refers to behaviors that actively harm others, such as aggression. It doesn't mean avoiding social interactions like people think it does.
That is a totally fair take, especially the part mentioning her mother saying it gets worse. That may be more of a joke, but I think it’s there because her mother and father are pretty horrible human beings.

But as someone who was lower functioning Autism, but got better because of a lot of occupational therapy and other work on behalf of my parents, I got the vibe they were writting a Reagan autistic. She has smarts but thinking on it I wouldn’t say she was anti social. She gets very involved with things until they are completed, but there are a few scenes later in the show of her trying to communicate with kids her age. But being seen as weird or a loser for the quirks of her personality and for already being in grades above hers. Despite that though she did have one friend but her dad erased the memory of her friend completely because he thought the kid wasn’t smart enough to associate with Reagan and wanted to enforce he behaviors that pushed people away from her, because it served his own gain of being in charade of the Deep state.

Reagan also seems part in based by the creator, so anything about her having something like Autism or something similar is up in the air.Although I don’t k ow much on the creator to say if she’s said anything or not. Still I think they did a good job later in the season portraying Reagen as someone with a potential disability. It could be something that goes unexplored in depth,or maybe we get more into it later.

Still I can certainly see why the show isn’t for everyone. I have to give it credit that it doesn’t really push jokes like that compared to a lot of other adult shows, where the more disability jokes they can make, they set out to.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom