• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social THE Social Thread 2.0

Which was your favorite new Pokémon revealed from the Scarlet and Violet trailer?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dutch Raikuna

Life's a sweet bitter beauty song.......
Overlord is such a whatever anime so far.
Really does not interest me at all of an anime. Ainz has a cool design though. It just looks ok.

Then again, Isekai to me hasn't impressed me much of a genre. Re:Zero is an exception for obvious reasons and Gate while nailed it in a lot of ways tried to do too much at the end. Shield Hero, Reincarnated as a Slime, Konosuba all had really great starts but got ruined for me in different ways, mainly characters.

I do think the genre tries too hard in a way to me. Don't know what your view is but that's me.

Last edited:

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
I've done it...a hot take...now for someone to make me dead to them

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul
Every time I see the name Overlord. I'm thinking of that WWII-Zombie Experiment flick from a few years back.

Awesome flick btw. Horror and Action, a perfect combo.
Probably much better than this show, TBH. So far it's been nothing but a weird power fantasy since evil skeleton man one shots everything and even has a female servant who's mad thirsty over him and it's really weird.

Also, the ED song is among the worst I've heard.

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul
Really does not interest me at all of an anime. Ainz has a cool design though. It just looks ok.

Then again, Isekai to me hasn't impressed me much of a genre. Re:Zero is an exception for obvious reasons and Gate while nailed it in a lot of ways tried to do too much at the end. Shield Hero, Reincarnated as a Slime, Konosuba all had really great starts but got ruined for me in different ways, mainly characters.

I do think the genre tries too hard in a way to me. Don't know what your view is but that's me.
I'm not very familiar with the Isekai genre besides Overlord and one episode of Konosuba, but the former definitely isn't leaving me with a good impression of it.

Dutch Raikuna

I'm not very familiar with the Isekai genre besides Overlord and one episode of Konosuba, but the former definitely isn't leaving me with a good impression of it.
Having watched the Overlord characters in Isekai Quartet/Quintet crossover thing they were pretty boring compared to the other four. (Re:Zero, Shield Hero, Konosuba) and Tanya the Evil. All it was were the characters being pretty much non-stop "Ainz-sama!" with him around.

Plus the animation of Overload just looks boring and I'm not a fan of the "MMO becomes real" Isekai style.

I'd ditch it and move on if you can't like it after a few more episodes.

Last edited:

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
that part where you say you don't Marvel aside (cause not Marveling...that alone does not help with having your mind spreaded open by the mouse)...I hope you know both of the big comic organizations have done all of those things...like...a lot...DC has even darker themes constantly to them than both sides (**** aside). TMNT grew to be more of an overall family friendly product regardless of their DC and Ghostbusters teamups, just like Marvel and their exaggerated swagger
DC does not excel in the dark if you ask me, just look at how horible the Snyder films are. I'm a Silver Age kind of girl. More Batman: The Brave and the Bold and CW Flash then Killing Joke and Fox Gotham. Good DC is when they embrace the former and stop trying to be edgy and dark. Other way round for Marvel you see.

Regardless of how much both companies delve into the dark side, when I think of DC I think of an example to strive for, ideals of Justice and always helping those worse off then you, and a hopeful narrative where good always manages to triumph in the long run. When I think of Marvel I think of characters who are human to a fault, almost never actually win and when they do they might as well not have because things get screwed up, and every stuck up trope that my film professors have been telling me makes something "artful" for the last four years. And I would rather see the TMNT property embody the former then the latter, which I think they already do.

The Turtles belong in a universe that stands for truth, justice, hope, and fun. Not a universe that embodies everything wrong with ours but worse.

Last edited:

drag0nscythe

Smash Master
DC does not excel in the dark if you ask me, just look at how horible the Snyder films are. I'm a Silver Age kind of girl. More Batman: The Brave and the Bold and CW Flash then Killing Joke and Fox Gotham.

Regardless of how much both companies delve into the dark side, when I think of DC I think of an example to strive for, ideals of Justice and always helping those worse off then you, and a hopeful narrative where good always manages to triumph in the long run. When I think of Marvel I think of characters who are human to a fault, almost never actually win and when they do they might as well not have because things get screwed up, and every stuck up trope that my film professors have been telling me makes something "artful" for the last four years. And I would rather see the TMNT property embody the former then the latter, which I think they already do.

The Turtles belong in a universe that stands for truth, justice, hope, and fun. Not a universe that embodies everything wrong with ours but worse.
Original tmnt were brutal. It only became silly when the cartoon was made.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
that part where you say you don't Marvel aside (cause not Marveling...that alone does not help with having your mind spreaded open by the mouse)...I hope you know both of the big comic organizations have done all of those things...like...a lot...DC has even darker themes constantly to them than both sides (**** aside). TMNT grew to be more of an overall family friendly product regardless of their DC and Ghostbusters teamups, just like Marvel and their exaggerated swagger
Also, wtf is exaggerated Swagger? Is that more Miles Morales crap? I genuinely don't even know what the phrase means?
Original tmnt were brutal. It only became silly when the cartoon was made.
And notice how, aside from the 2003 show which can mostly be described as an outlier, the brand hasn't really done that at all since. And that it's not what people really associate with them anymore either?

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul
Having watched the Overlord characters in Isekai Quartet/Quintet crossover thing they were pretty boring compared to the other four. (Re:Zero, Shield Hero, Konosuba) and Tanya the Evil. All it was were the characters being pretty much non-stop "Ainz-sama!" with him around.

Plus the animation of Overload just looks boring and I'm not a fan of the "MMO becomes real" Isekai style.

I'd ditch it and move on if you can't like it after a few more episodes.
Oh, the animation is really generic and even off putting with the CGI at times. At least they saved budget with all the closeup shots of evil skeleton man's face that doesn't emote when he talks, though.

And I'll drop it if I still don't vibe with it after the first season (which is 13 episodes and I'm on episode six now). I promised my brother I'd give it a fair shake, so yeah.

Last edited:

Dutch Raikuna

Oh, the animation is really generic and even off putting with the CGI at times. At least they saved budget with all the closeup shots of evil skeleton man's face that doesn't emote when he talks, though.

And I'll drop it if I still don't vibe with it after the first season (which is 13 episodes and I'm on episode six now). I promised my brother I'd give it a fair shake, so yeah.
I'm looking at any Isekai I've still any interest in but if you want to see a friend's opinions (IRL or not) on a few I'm right here.

Sort of making a good/neutral/bad views on some of them if you are interested.

osby

Smash Obsessed
DC does not excel in the dark if you ask me, just look at how horible the Snyder films are. I'm a Silver Age kind of girl. More Batman: The Brave and the Bold and CW Flash then Killing Joke and Fox Gotham. Good DC is when they embrace the former and stop trying to be edgy and dark. Other way round for Marvel you see.

Both Marvel and DC have light and dark-hearted stories. You can't just use Silver Age to represent DC and then use unnamed Marvel properties as strawmen to prove why they are like night and day.

Most of my favorite comics from both companies are actually quite similar: they are bittersweet instead of leaning to extremes.

D

Deleted member

Since I've started it back up again recently, here's some wholesome Animal Crossing for y'all tonight:

Being able to dress up your Villagers in this game is a gift we didn't deserve.
I need to play AC more often, at the moment it’s just collecting dust in my case cause I haven’t been interested in it for a long time now

drag0nscythe

Smash Master
Also, wtf is exaggerated Swagger? Is that more Miles Morales crap? I genuinely don't even know what the phrase means?

And notice how, aside from the 2003 show which can mostly be described as an outlier, the brand hasn't really done that at all since. And that it's not what people really associate with them anymore either?
They do that often. Kids are eaiser targets so to speak. They did the same thing with beatlejuice, tried it with robocop and rambo. Even some of the 80s horror films had a kid version thrown around.

I do agree that tmnt is more for kids now, but many shows have been going that way because kids markets tend to be easier.

I was a fan of the original run. The one where don was turned into a robot i believe.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Both Marvel and DC have light and dark-hearted stories. You can't just use Silver Age to represent DC and then use unnamed Marvel properties as strawmen to prove why they are like night and day.

Most of my favorite comics from both companies are actually quite similar: they are bittersweet instead of leaning to extremes.
I only know about the Marvel Comics themselves what I hear people praise about them when they talk about them. What I don't like about Marvel was largely absent from the movies untill Endgame (well, arguably Age of Ultron as well, but that's more behind the scenes stuff...) and the movies and TV shows are all I ever consumed of Marvel stuff. Mostly because when I hear people say what they love about the comics it turns me off. Because of that, when I think of Marvel I don't think of fun adventure stories about people with fantastic powers who protect the world and enforce Justice, I think of alcoholic billionaires in robot suits, racism being the true villain all along instead of the evil super powered guy and people dying left and right because that's "grounded". It makes me frustrated and makes me roll my eyes so much I get dizzy. It makes me not want to associate with the brand. And it makes me get really mad when people insist Marvel is a better company like that's some sort of objective truth when it's not.
This post is full of the exaggerated swagger of a Banjo fan on a Smash Brothers forum.
I... I am so confused. I don't know weather this is a compliment or an insult... I suspect it might be some sort of combination of both.
It’s from a review of that new Spider Man game

... can't tell if racist or not....

D

Deleted member

If we’re talking anime recommendations...
730B2133-EBD6-48A1-ABCE-8B4EB44CA80F.png

This will hopefully be replaced by Vanguard overDress but Ace is a pretty good anime only bogged down by the ending being kinda bad due to the CGI studio leaving(and then Buddyfight died so no chance of getting the second part animated)

I would also recommend Vanguard G for the story alone, although the animation is severely lacking and it has alot more problems than Ace does.

Last edited by a moderator:

drag0nscythe

Smash Master
I recommend mushi shi. Watch it. There is no other show that captures the same vib as mushi shi. It is one of kind and is awesome.

osby

Smash Obsessed
I only know about the Marvel Comics themselves what I hear people praise about them when they talk about them. What I don't like about Marvel was largely absent from the movies untill Endgame (well, arguably Age of Ultron as well, but that's more behind the scenes stuff...) and the movies and TV shows are all I ever consumed of Marvel stuff. Mostly because when I hear people say what they love about the comics it turns me off. Because of that, when I think of Marvel I don't think of fun adventure stories about people with fantastic powers who protect the world and enforce Justice, I think of alcoholic billionaires in robot suits, racism being the true villain all along instead of the evil super powered guy and people dying left and right because that's "grounded". It makes me frustrated and makes me roll my eyes so much I get dizzy. It makes me not want to associate with the brand. And it makes me get really mad when people insist Marvel is a better company like that's some sort of objective truth when it's not.

I... I am so confused. I don't know weather this is a compliment or an insult... I suspect it might be some sort of combination of both.

... can't tell if racist or not....
You do you but it seems a little dumb to overgeneralize the entire Marvel library based on second-hand experinces when there are so much stories that aren't really dark to begin with or use harsh obstacles to make characters grow into better people.

Also, no offense but your "objective truth" complaint is super ironic because you're doing the exact same thing you're criticizing.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom