• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social THE Social Thread 2.0

Which was your favorite new Pokémon revealed from the Scarlet and Violet trailer?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Games being too linear is in fact a problem. I hate it when games restrict my movement for the sake of a story, and I imagine I'm not the only one who feels that way.

Outdated? not necessarily, but it's leaning that direction. Linear games will always have a place in gaming(being easier to make and bug test overall which is a godsend for indie devs) but as it stands open world games are looking more and more like the new platformers of this era. A fad, pretty much.
Why does gaming have to work like this? How does it make buisness sense to focus on one genre and sell to one audience instead of focusing on a bunch and selling to a bunch? I don’t get it at all.

D

Deleted member

Why does gaming have to work like this? How does it make buisness sense to focus on one genre and sell to one audience instead of focusing on a bunch and selling to a bunch? I don’t get it at all.
Because people like open worlds right now, and they make the most buck because of that.

Just look at the sales numbers between Skyward Sword and BOTW(or for a better comparison some of the Wii U ports) for example. Hell even Skyrim still sells big bucks literal decades after it was originally released.
I imagine in a few years it'll fade away as people get tired of it: same thing that happened to platformers, fps games, racing games, horror games, etc. When single genres get big like this people tend to get tired of the same 5 tropes appearing over and over.

And game companies don't have to appeal to everyone you know. Focusing on one genre makes much more sense financially speaking than making a bunch of games for every genre. It's a no brainer.

Last edited by a moderator:

Oracle Link

Smash Master
That main problem I have isn't getting solved at all.

And looking at It all, It seems I won't be able to fix my life ever. Never could, never Will even when I try my best.

Because of that, I feel I don't belong near anyone else. I'm deleting my Smashboards account, so I'm not a problem to anyone here due to depression.
Your life isnt Broken you just have Bad luck right now its not Your fault alone its (atleast in 99% of case speak us not dictators) The fault of others aswell there are ALWAYS two sides no matter what anyone tells you and if you dont get help or dont get the Help you need help yourself do something no matter how small that makes you Happy and lets you acomplsih something believe me i was and still am(less) in your situation

Oracle Link

Smash Master
As someone trying to learn German at the moment
It would amuse me greatly if you kept doing this

But everyone else might be annoyed to high heaven by it
Ich Weiss nicht, mann

Also amusingly by contrast that was probably some broken German for you
Yeah this is funny maybe i should write a sort summary of it? also the Sentence wasnt Broken so good job!

View attachment 299039Enough talking about video games, how ya'll doing? View attachment 299040
Lying on my Couch having fear of my future aeeeehm can we talk about Games again my Lonelines T-Poses Above me!
Yeah Dark Humor the best thing invented ever!

D

Deleted member

Gonna be honest, I can see where Snake's coming from. It's a weird decision to make an open world add-on to an otherwise linear game and would've made more sense as Odyssey DLC than something for 3D World. I guess they just really want to still push the whole Cat power-up.

Ultimately it doesn't affect me, as i like both styles, linear and open world, but I can see how it might irritate some people. You do tend to have certain expectations depending on the context, after all. Now watch the island simply be an overworld like in Mario 64 which leads to traditional levels and none of that matters to begin with.

It's a bit hard to explain but essentially a Digimon can become just about any other digimon with enough data, although each one has a "canon" line that is used if the Digimon's data is amplified with a Digivice/Tamer being present in place of regular data consumption. Course an Agumon isn't suddenly going to become Omnimon(still have to go through each step, Rookie->Champion->Ultimate->Mega, etc) but an Agumon could become say a Togemon IF and only if the right type of data is consumed. Some types of Digimon evolution don't follow this such as Digifuse, Spirit Evolution(which is a nother thing entirely) Slide Evolution, and Jogress/DNA evolution(which requires very specific digimon in sync rather than just any two-four digimon)
I see, I guess it makes sense when thinking about it like this. Still pretty confusing for an outsider though. Poygon x Digimon crossover when?

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
Where the weather changes as much as my avatar
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
That main problem I have isn't getting solved at all.

And looking at It all, It seems I won't be able to fix my life ever. Never could, never Will even when I try my best.

Because of that, I feel I don't belong near anyone else. I'm deleting my Smashboards account, so I'm not a problem to anyone here due to depression.
You’re not a problem to anyone here and cutting out the people who want to support you will only make things worse. If you need some time to yourself away from here and figure things out, go ahead and take it but I think you’ll be hurting yourself a lot more if you just alienate yourself.

I won’t pretend I know what you’re going through but I know you’re not a burden and anyone who tells you that you are is not worth your time. You need to find a way out of your situation even if it means leaving some things and people behind.

D

Deleted member

I see, I guess it makes sense when thinking about it like this. Still pretty confusing for an outsider though. Poygon x Digimon crossover when?
It pretty much never comes up except in the games so it's not really a big deal.

Now watch the island simply be an overworld like in Mario 64 which leads to traditional levels and none of that matters to begin with.
That would honestly be the best case scenario imo

Oracle Link

Smash Master
German Names Explained/Compared PART2 (first part not required)
Eng: Isabelle Jp:Shizue (ithink) GER: Melinda
Her Name like most AC Characters Changes in every Region So no Introspective the english name is not more valid than the Japanese/German one (sorry this bothered me for Years)
ENG/JP/GER/everywhere: Pikachu
unlike other Pokemon Names this one stays the same (because Mascot)
Eng: Jigglypuff Ger: Pummeluff (Chubbyuff)
Like other Pokemon Names Changed in German AND English because Pokemon Names are Puns and you always Try to Translate Puns (in my Opinion)
Eng: Magikoopa Ger: Kamek
This is an F on our Part German Translators Forgot That Kamek is the name for the Character NOT the Species
Eng: Soul/Revenge/Galacta Ger: UlTrA
Its called Kirby Super star Ultra we need MOOOOOOOORE Ultra in it What? Seele(soul)/Rache(revenge)/Galaxischer(galcta) no too creative and not as Cool as ULLLLLLTTTRAAAAAA < This was a Joke in actuallty im slightly Annoyed by this

D

Deleted member

Mario of the Wild.

I'm more interested in why Bowser looks this way. With Bowser JR presumably helping you it seems to imply he's been corrupted somehow(along with the cat suit statues), but by what?

Dutch Raikuna

Life's a sweet bitter beauty song.......
My friends as a lifelong Nintendo nerd I just had a stunning revelation about myself.

Until 10 minutes ago, I've never played Super Mario 64 on a console.
I've spent so many hours playing on a PC emulator and the DS Remake (which is underrated by the way) but not until now I've played it on a Nintendo console.

That is all. Revelation over.

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
Before today I was thinking Bower's Fury was just going to be a 3D World level pack expansion but instead we got a brand new game with Odyssey elements added.

I think that'll be enough to justify double dipping (probably not at launch but I'm very interested in it).

Aurane

ㅤㅤㅤㅤ
My friends as a lifelong Nintendo nerd I just had a stunning revelation about myself.

Until 10 minutes ago, I've never played Super Mario 64 on a console.
I've spent so many hours playing on a PC emulator and the DS Remake (which is underrated by the way) but not until now I've played it on a Nintendo console.

That is all. Revelation over.
fake gamer moments 😾👎

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Because people like open worlds right now, and they make the most buck because of that.

Just look at the sales numbers between Skyward Sword and BOTW(or for a better comparison some of the Wii U ports) for example. Hell even Skyrim still sells big bucks literal decades after it was originally released.
I imagine in a few years it'll fade away as people get tired of it: same thing that happened to platformers, fps games, racing games, horror games, etc. When single genres get big like this people tend to get tired of the same 5 tropes appearing over and over.

And game companies don't have to appeal to everyone you know. Focusing on one genre makes much more sense financially speaking than making a bunch of games for every genre. It's a no brainer.
How? You make games for one genre, you sell to one audience. You make for a bunch of genres, you sell to a bunch of audiences.

Noipoi

Howdy!
How? You make games for one genre, you sell to one audience. You make for a bunch of genres, you sell to a bunch of audiences.
Bro linear games aren’t disappearing a linear Mario game is literally about to drop in a month. There will always be linear games, they aren’t an endangered species.

D

Deleted member

Companies don’t need to do that though. If anything that’s counterproductive to a decent portion of companies who already have dedicated fanbases and where changing the genre will only make people leave(fighter games are probably the best example)

Don’t need to make a bunch of smaller games when making one big one already rakes in the same, if not more, amount of bucks, yknow? At the end of the day it’s all about profit.

Dutch Raikuna

Life's a sweet bitter beauty song.......
Don’t worry I’m the future it will all be anime girls
Found the guy who's building the anime universe transporter!

Quick let's give him death from choking on a steak and not label it as assassination from government officials. Can't let the people have the fun technologies!

Yes, I believe in a few of those stories.

Last edited:
Reactions: Z25

Oracle Link

Smash Master
But only where you can Watch the Hulu Reboot
Basicly Animaniacs in a Nutshell i didnt even hear the Word Animaniacs until i was 19 and 99% of People in Germany Dont know them for their whole Live

Last edited:

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Bro linear games aren’t disappearing a linear Mario game is literally about to drop in a month. There will always be linear games, they aren’t an endangered species.
Except it’s a port. And once everyone is all like “Bowser’s Fury is amazing but the 3D World part sucks because it’s linear!” it’s gonna join in with the positive feedback from Odyssey that “oh, people hate linear mario games! Let’s never make one again!” and then they won’t and I’ll be sad.

D

Deleted member

Don’t mind me just listening to one winged angel while I lurk in the thread 😎

Oracle Link

Smash Master
Except it’s a port. And once everyone is all like “Bowser’s Fury is amazing but the 3D World part sucks because it’s linear!” it’s gonna join in with the positive feedback from Odyssey that “oh, people hate linear mario games! Let’s never make one again!” and then they won’t and I’ll be sad.
I sorta get the same Feeling when it comes to 2d Zeldas or Actual Remakes (not Reeimagings)

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609

It's just so funny to me to see an anime girl included among real people for this.
I literally only know Pokimane since her name makes me think of Pokémon...but mostly cause of her simps and the amount of videos Omni had to make because of her simps and haters

Noipoi

Howdy!
Literally no one is gonna say that because reality doesn’t work like your doomer fantasies.

People liked 3D World a lot, they were just disappointed because the Wii U lacked a big sandbox Mario. Now that the switch has Odyssey, there’s no pressure on 3D World to be that huge experience, and it’ll probably get more appreciation.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom