• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social THE Social Thread 2.0

Which was your favorite new Pokémon revealed from the Scarlet and Violet trailer?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Y'all are talking about how DK or Link need overhauls but let's not forget the gargantuan pig demon in the room.
Honestly I don't mind that a lot of his attacks are kicks and punches. He's a huge guy, and a villain who has a tendancy to underestimate his enemies. But there's just some weird elements of his design in Smash from a gameplay standpoint as well as a character representation one.

There's his recovery for one. The fact that he grabs his opponent is definitely scary when it lands, but there's no reason someone who can canonically levitate should have a bottom 3 recovery, especially when it goes against the livelong/kill early design philosophy heavies are supposed to be designed around. Dark Dive is an old relic of his moveset being copied over by a high speed glass canon and has long outlived its welcome.

And Volcano Kick and Warlock Punch are just...weird. They're clearly meant to be casual moves with their windbox and superarmor, but Doryiah clearly does the casual killer job better while also having some competitive viability to boot. VK and WP are just redundant now. Give him an up tilt that can actually be used as an anti air or poke or something, and replace neutral b with something actually useful, if only in niche situations. I think a projectile similar to Sephiroth's Flare would be a good fit - it's too slow and unwieldy to be used as an effective zoning tool, but it still commands a lot of respect and helps Sephiroth feel like a scary, magic-wielding villain. On that note Volcano Kick also looks just really, really stupid - why should I be scared of a man doing the splits at me for a full second?

Jeeze man, kids play this game.

At least Wizard's Foot and Flame Choke have some good midrange synergy. Wizard Kick is a midrange option that can scare opponents into shield, and Flame Choke is a midrange command grab that can heavily punish shields. And hey, Flame Choke actually represents source material really well, with its grounded version referencing a memorable cutscene in Twilight Princess and its aerial version representing a move he used in OoT. I'd still like to see WizKick replaced with a move that serves the same function but has a more fitting animation though.
Replace his up tilt with something involving his Brawl/4 Up Smash animation, neutral B with Project M's, aerial Wizard's Foot with a ground punch.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
I just started FF7 remake.

I just spent 30 or so hours playing FF7, am i really about to spend the next 30 or so hours on the sequel game?
...Okay.

Had a strange dream while I was napping where Smash had a fakeout trailer involving the invitation being passed around various Spongebob characters (I mostly remember Sandy and DoodleBob) before the thing ends up in the hands of the sponge himself. No actual gameplay was shown but Sakurai had Spongebob banners behind him and announced a gameplay showcase for next week.

I don't know what the **** caused me to dream that up lmao.
Lowkey want this.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Y'all are talking about how DK or Link need overhauls but let's not forget the gargantuan pig demon in the room.
Honestly I don't mind that a lot of his attacks are kicks and punches. He's a huge guy, and a villain who has a tendancy to underestimate his enemies. But there's just some weird elements of his design in Smash from a gameplay standpoint as well as a character representation one.

There's his recovery for one. The fact that he grabs his opponent is definitely scary when it lands, but there's no reason someone who can canonically levitate should have a bottom 3 recovery, especially when it goes against the livelong/kill early design philosophy heavies are supposed to be designed around. Dark Dive is an old relic of his moveset being copied over by a high speed glass canon and has long outlived its welcome.

And Volcano Kick and Warlock Punch are just...weird. They're clearly meant to be casual moves with their windbox and superarmor, but Doryiah clearly does the casual killer job better while also having some competitive viability to boot. VK and WP are just redundant now. Give him an up tilt that can actually be used as an anti air or poke or something, and replace neutral b with something actually useful, if only in niche situations. I think a projectile similar to Sephiroth's Flare would be a good fit - it's too slow and unwieldy to be used as an effective zoning tool, but it still commands a lot of respect and helps Sephiroth feel like a scary, magic-wielding villain. On that note Volcano Kick also looks just really, really stupid - why should I be scared of a man doing the splits at me for a full second?

Jeeze man, kids play this game.

At least Wizard's Foot and Flame Choke have some good midrange synergy. Wizard Kick is a midrange option that can scare opponents into shield, and Flame Choke is a midrange command grab that can heavily punish shields. And hey, Flame Choke actually represents source material really well, with its grounded version referencing a memorable cutscene in Twilight Princess and its aerial version representing a move he used in OoT. I'd still like to see WizKick replaced with a move that serves the same function but has a more fitting animation though.
tbh I love the Ganondorf we have right now. Doriyah and Oh Yeah aside, it seems like he moves a bit faster than his past versions within Smash history. That and he just has a presence that just feels like you'll be able to strike fear into the eyes of the not so innocent people you must slaughter

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
Honestly, now that they've given him his sword (at least for three moves but at least he uses it) the only thing Ganon's really missing now is dead man's volley. It's like one of the most iconic things about his canonical toolkit.

Also a better recovery helps...

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
I have some Persona 5 memes nobody will laugh at
20210105_201322.jpg
958f6b6.jpg
20210105_201332.png
ok that is all

continue to not laugh

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
OK. Serious question? Why are lives fun? Like, the only context they make sense to me is in an arcade. But like... I'm not pumping quarters into my xbox one every time I game over on Sonic Adventure 2. All they do is waste your time and make you do stuff you already did over and over again just for the CHANCE at learning the part you're stuck on. Can someone potentially give me a new perspective on how they're anything other then bad game design? Because I can't figure out for the life of me why they stayed a thing outside of arcades.

Noipoi

Howdy!
OK. Serious question? Why are lives fun? Like, the only context they make sense to me is in an arcade. But like... I'm not pumping quarters into my xbox one every time I game over on Sonic Adventure 2. All they do is waste your time and make you do stuff you already did over and over again just for the CHANCE at learning the part you're stuck on. Can someone potentially give me a new perspective on how they're anything other then bad game design? Because I can't figure out for the life of me why they stayed a thing outside of arcades.
Just cuz you don’t like something doesn’t mean it’s bad game design, ya dingus.

But yeah I agree that lives are mostly outdated, a holdover from the arcade era that stuck around far too long mostly because of tradition. But there’s some situations where it can make you really focus on trying your best to win. Because if you don’t it’s game over, and all that progress is gone. This guy explains it better than I could.

Go to 12:40 in the video below

and then watch his other videos cuz they’re really good he’s done Donkey Kong, Sonic a whole lotta things

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
Agreed that they're mostly a holdover from arcade area but I think limited lives motivate you to not half-ass any challenge the game throws at you. If you only have three shots at something, you better make them count.

They can also double as resource management in games where you can gain more lives, which is probably a bigger reason why they sticked around.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Agreed that they're mostly a holdover from arcade area but I think limited lives motivate you to not half-ass any challenge the game throws at you. If you only have three shots at something, you better make them count.

They can also double as resource management in games where you can gain more lives, which is probably a bigger reason why they sticked around.
But like... half assing it isn't fun. that's already enough encouragement for giving it my all.

Like... sometimes you're trying your best, but your best just isn't enough. So failure in that sense isn't encouraging improvement, it's punishing effort.

BlondeLombax

Smash Master
I just started FF7 remake.

I just spent 30 or so hours playing FF7, am i really about to spend the next 30 or so hours on the sequel game?
...Okay.

Lowkey want this.
My brother wants me to try the remake after I beat the original. He’s not too big a fan.

Also, thank God that Aerith gave me my materia back before she went out to die stop Sephiroth, because I would have been very, very miffed.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
besides Joker and Morgana of course, who do y’all think is the most important character throughout all of Persona 5 both storyline wise and skill wise (R, D, and S all included)? Personally I think that would be Makoto followed by Akechi. Ann and Haru are only important at the beginning of their stories, Ryuji and Futaba have moments of serious importance (but doesn’t go any further than what they get at the beginning to develop them more), Sumire is a tease for the new and superior final act, but other than that is just there waiting for Maruki to kick everything off...and Yusuke is in an interesting place when it comes to importance. His character development finishes yeah, but he also helps with keeping the team from getting overconfident while also being the reason for the main developing arc of Akechi.

tho that aside, Makoto is definitely the most important Phantom Thief Ren and Morgana have

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Just got my first gifts of Christmas 2:

View attachment 298478
Didn't expect to get Mario Kart Live and the official Mario Odyssey artbook is so freaking awesome I want to make some of the art on It pfps in the future.
That’s a solid haul. FFVIIR especially. I just got mine downloaded today gonna play it after I finish Demon’s Souls. Let us know how Mario Kart Live is.

Last edited:

Alicorn

Cyber Bunny
I feel a new hope, a new star shines bright on the morning tides. After a decade of holding my breath I can finally...finally...breathe a sigh of relief. I now feel good to be an American again.

Caillou was always a bratty child. I could never really stand him.

D

Deleted member

Games Done Quick is starting a Hades run, if anyone's interested in that. (it's entertaining to see how much they can break the games wide open)
Oh boy, it's already started? Wonder what's in the awful block this year. And hey, Mr. Bones is a welcome addition as well. Just a shame there's no Keiz run this year either, his Pokemon/Animorph runs are some of the best, I think.

Just got my first gifts of Christmas 2:

View attachment 298478
Didn't expect to get Mario Kart Live and the official Mario Odyssey artbook is so freaking awesome I want to make some of the art on It pfps in the future.
I see you picked the superior brother.

D

Deleted member

Oh boy, it's already started? Wonder what's in the awful block this year. And hey, Mr. Bones is a welcome addition as well. Just a shame there's no Keiz run this year either, his Pokemon/Animorph runs are some of the best, I think.

I see you picked the superior brother.
Luigi is the best.

D

Deleted member

I have a question.

Are the Sonic Archie comics available in digital or print?
IIRC both. I have a few print versions, although they’re junk now from tearing at the seams and general misuse.

Don’t think you can find them irl anymore though, the few times I’ve been to my local Meijer(where I got them) I didn’t see them, but them again I barely go out shopping so idk

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member

And finally, the last batch of my Christmas 2 gifts.

20210106_125944.jpg

I wasn't expecting to get the Game & Watch at all. Really happy about that.

Also got the new LEGO Mario set I wanted, a cool new shirt for summer and the physical release of Streets Of Rage 4.

A lot of cool stuff this year, when I get back home I will post a new picture showing everything I got together on both Christmas days.

Now to enjoy the day with my cousins.

Pokelego999

Smash Hero
Waiting for Latias and Latios to get a theme
Switch FC
SW-0935-8215-2605
My Alolan Ninetales may as well be the ace of my team for now.

She's either directly or indirectly won me nearly all of my ranked battles so far lmao. It was all over as soon as she froze that Dynamaxed Garchomp.
I'm more of an Alolan Sandslash guy but I've been meaning to give Ninetales a try for awhile.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
There was a problem fetching the tweet

THANK THE HEAVENS THERE IS A GOD AT LAST. GOOD RIDDANCE
That show was still running? I didn't even notice.

Now I await for the day shows like Spongebob, Simpsons, and Family Guy finally get their due...

Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Looked it up. it ended in 2010. Did we wake up a decade in the past and these last 10 years were just a dream or hallucination? Because I'm confused.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom