• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social THE Social Thread 2.0

Which was your favorite new Pokémon revealed from the Scarlet and Violet trailer?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Shroob

Sup?
Guys, hear me out:
Sonic is planning for a massive bash in 2021. Some big Sonic News coming out soon.
Fighters Pass 2 so far is just companies already represented for Smash. Sega would be a part of that assuming this holds true.

Adding more Villians seems to be a theme with Ultimate. K. Rool's trailer highlighted this.

A Yakuza rep is out, which is Sega's second in command.
Steve coincided with Minecon.
Next Smash reveal will be in 2021, the same year huge Sonic news comes out.

Tails, Knuckles, and Shadow are out.
Dr. Eggman is just a spirit. They don't deconfirm fighters.

What if we got Dr. Eggman in Smash to coincide with the big Sonic news?
Do we never learn from patterns? :4pacman:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
If it was just Persona I'd agree with you, but the fact that they added the sonic costumes is what makes me think Eggman's not happening
Tails (Gunner) and Knuckles (Brawler) Mii Fighter costumes return in Super  Smash Bros. Ultimate - The Sonic Stadium
Well, that doesn't really mean anything. The Tails and Knuckles Mii costumes were ported from Smash 4 plus Banjo & Kazooie didn't have any costumes from their series in their pack.

Shroob

Sup?
Well, that doesn't really mean anything. The Tails and Knuckles Mii costumes were ported from Smash 4 plus Banjo & Kazooie didn't have any costumes from their series in their pack.
I mean, think of it this way.

Why are people soo sure that Tekken isn't getting anything? It's because Heihachi got tossed into Min Min's costume bundle. If we were getting something Tekken related, why wouldn't they have held the Tekken costume back?

We know from leaks that these discussions happen upwards of years in advance like with Steve, and maybe even Sephiroth, so why would you have content separate from the fighter?

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2

Why are people soo sure that Tekken isn't getting anything? It's because Heihachi got tossed into Min Min's costume bundle. If we were getting something Tekken related, why wouldn't they have held the Tekken costume back?

We know from leaks that these discussions happen upwards of years in advance like with Steve, and maybe even Sephiroth, so why would you have content separate from the fighter?
I get what you're saying, but we already have Sonic in the roster and the Tails and Knuckles Mii costumes were originally from Smash 4 so there is really no new content there. Of course they could have save those costumes for a Sonic rep pack but maybe Fighter's Pass 2 wasn't planned that far ahead.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I don't understand why all the Eggman hype started up just because we got one iconic video game villain in the pass so far.
Because Sephiroth was the first 3rd party villain as well as the first secondary non Echo 3rd party rep to make it into Smash. Sephy opened the doors for characters like Eggman, Tails, and Chun-Li.

Last edited:

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed

Now, in all fairness, Tails and Knuckles were with Joker, which to our knowledge, was made before the idea of a Second Fighters Pass was made. If you want to argue schematics, it was only meant to be a couple extra characters, not a full pass, so we don't know how far into the 2nd pass that they were gonna stop until they added more.

Heuhachi happened well after the characters were finalized.

Shroob

Sup?
Now, in all fairness, Tails and Knuckles were with Joker, which to our knowledge, was made before the idea of a Second Fighters Pass was made. If you want to argue schematics, it was only meant to be a couple extra characters, not a full pass, so we don't know how far into the 2nd pass that they were gonna stop until they added more.

Heuhachi happened well after the characters were finalized.
I feel like we don't really know far far in advance a 2nd pass was planned tbh.

We do know that FP1 sales were very, VERY good, and that the first patch the game ever had had 16 unused character spots, and then of course leaks/rumors about both Steve and Sephiroth being in legal talks years in advance.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
I don't think he's that likely. We got the Sonic costumes with Joker, they would've saved them.

I think Megaten (Demi-Friend) and Street Fighter (Chun Li) are the series most likely to double up
Ya'll just angered a bunch of SMT fans by lumping Persona in with it.

Well, Microsoft and Square-Enix got characters in both the Fighter's Pass and Fighter's Pass 2 so why can't Sega? Not saying it's likely, but not impossible.
I can easily See Sega double dipping on DLC fighters, just not Eggman specifically.

D

Deleted member

So I finally finished sleeving my new EDH deck with my new fancy-dancy Dragon Shield inner sleeves with new resealable technology™....

But now it doesn't fit into my Satin Tower....which is my biggest deckbox.....
images.png

I hate my life sometimes

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
Guys, hear me out:
Sonic is planning for a massive bash in 2021. Some big Sonic News coming out soon.
Fighters Pass 2 so far is just companies already represented for Smash. Sega would be a part of that assuming this holds true.

Adding more Villians seems to be a theme with Ultimate. K. Rool's trailer highlighted this.

I could totally see this happening, and he could easily even be our next rep.

Counterpoint:
Those costumes were released with our first DLc fighter of pass one. Meaning they were negotiated for way before the games release. Fighter pass 2 wouldn’t have been planned at that point so they wouldn’t even know who was getting put on the second pass.

Making A Sonic rep fair game for this pass. Not to mention we could easily get Amy and Shadow as costumes for miis instead with Eggman. Or hell, if it’s eggman, make an Omega costume. That be pretty cool.
I don't understand why all the Eggman hype started up just because we got one iconic video game villain in the pass so far.
A lot of people here wanted Eggman before and so did many others, Sephiroth just ignited discussion on him again.

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
Guys, hear me out:

I'd be inclined to believe you were it not for the fact that our Sega rep for this pass is absolutely undoubtedly Opa-Opa from the hit game Fantasy Zone, a 1986 arcade game by Sega and the first game in the Fantasy Zone series. It was later ported to a wide variety of consoles, including the Master System. The player controls-

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
I feel like we don't really know far far in advance a 2nd pass was planned tbh.

We do know that FP1 sales were very, VERY good, and that the first patch the game ever had had 16 unused character spots, and then of course leaks/rumors about both Steve and Sephiroth being in legal talks years in advance.
Was is Sephiroth was in talks? I thought it was Hero, with Sephiroth being planned later.

Shroob

Sup?

Counterpoint:
Those costumes were released with our first DLc fighter of pass one. Meaning they were negotiated for way before the games release. Fighter pass 2 wouldn’t have been planned at that point so they wouldn’t even know who was getting put on the second pass.

Making A Sonic rep fair game for this pass. Not to mention we could easily get Amy and Shadow as costumes for miis instead with Eggman. Or hell, if it’s eggman, make an Omega costume. That be pretty cool.

A lot of people here wanted Eggman before and so did many others, Sephiroth just ignited discussion on him again.
Counter-Counter point:

Just because Joker was fighter 1 means very little, because we can assume they had all 5 characters planned for Pass 1 by that point, SNK didn't just approach them after Joker to say they'd like Terry in, they had all the characters locked in by then, considering Steve, and Sephiroth, they seemed to have been in talks for even more before Pass 1 was even a thing.

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
Counter-Counter point:

Just because Joker was fighter 1 means very little, because we can assume they had all 5 characters planned for Pass 1 by that point, SNK didn't just approach them after Joker to say they'd like Terry in, they had all the characters locked in by then, considering Steve, and Sephiroth, they seemed to have been in talks for even more before Pass 1 was even a thing.
When did they finalize the characters for FP2? With Terry, they just said more, and Sakurai said it was initially supposed to be a couple extra, whuch makes me think it was just meant to be Min Min because Nintendo, Steve because of Microsoft negotiations and Nintendo, and...

I need to see a source on Sephiroth.

Reactions: Z25

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
Counter-Counter point:

Sure they had all of pass 1 locked, but Pass 2 probably not. In fact maybe the 6th fighter on the pass was never planned and could be filled by Sega after a request. After all they delayed Brawl to add Sonic, it’s entirely possible they added an extra slot to give another company something if negotiations were going back and forth and undecided before then.

Also where is this Sephiroth talk coming from? I haven’t seen anything on it, and considering Sakurai implied it was A challenge just to get Cloud, I don’t think he would go into meetings again for years right away to get Sephiroth.

Could be wrong, but the fact Hero came first and we know had been in the works for quite some time, tells me that they probably wanted Hero first, then for this pass he said let’s try to save final fantasy.

Also just because one character was planned for years doesn’t mean the others all were

Shroob

Sup?
Was is Sephiroth was in talks? I thought it was Hero, with Sephiroth being planned later.
Pretty much sometime back in 2018, there were murmurs that Square wasn't exactly the happiest camper to just give Cloud back and not have him be DLC. There's been murmurs since the other day that Sephiroth was the "I scratch your back, you scratch mine."

KillerCage

Smash Master
All I can say is Amen.
Thank you Kung Fu Panda for teaching me this lesson.

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
Pretty much sometime back in 2018, there were murmurs that Square wasn't exactly the happiest camper to just give Cloud back and not have him be DLC. There's been murmurs since the other day that Sephiroth was the "I scratch your back, you scratch mine."
I have never heard of that. Also considering I proposed this exact situation except with Sakurai saying this and it being that he put Hero in if they gave him Geno, and was told how nonsensical that would be. I kinda of doubt Square would do this. Then again it is Square Enix.

Shroob

Sup?
I have never heard of that. Also considering I proposed this exact situation except with Sakurai saying this and it being that he put Hero in if they gave him Geno, and was told how nonsensical that would be. I kinda of doubt Square would do this. Then again it is Square Enix.
It was getting tossed around pretty handily in the Newcomer thread like a day or two ago, but bugger all if I can find it again seeing how fast that thread moves. Considering some of our most hardcore skeptical users kinda buy it, while it's not word of god, it's definitely something.

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
It was getting tossed around pretty handily in the Newcomer thread like a day or two ago, but bugger all if I can find it again seeing how fast that thread moves. Considering some of our most hardcore skeptical users kinda buy it, while it's not word of god, it's definitely something.
Again it’s Square so I can kinda of see it, it just still is super word of mouth though which makes me pretty skeptical to buy into that theory. At least we Steve, we had actual developers comment on it. This is a he said, she said type of thing.

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
I mean, I need to see a concrete source on all that. I can't just take some SmashBoards user word as the law
Yeah if I’m being honest, the newcomer speculation thread loves grasping and flipping out at random statements and speculations, so I just avoid it most of the time lol

Shroob

Sup?
Yeah if I’m being honest, the newcomer speculation thread loves grasping and flipping out at random statements and speculations, so I just avoid it most of the time lol
So it's the G----no, won't go for the low hanging fruit, I refuse....

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Guys, hear me out:

inb4 Sonic and Persona 5 both get the last rep spots due to having big celebrations for both

Eggman and Sumire time y’all

I based it on Heihachi being a part of Pac-God’s 8-bit taunt...tho anyone else could be valid

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there
Eggman would be great, and I love that there's a non-zero chance for him ATM.

But I don't really see him happening, honestly. Not in this game, at least: A Sonic newcomer IMO is a matter of when than if for Smash, I'm just not 100% on whether or not this will be the game.

Aurane

ㅤㅤㅤㅤ
Welp. Gear's all enchanted and I have all the fuel I could possibly need. I've also started making a Villager breeder house to hold some villagers for the future. But I need materials so... Time to do a one hour strip mining in Minecraft.

Thank god I have a good playlist on YouTube to listen to while I do this.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
inb4 Sonic and Persona 5 both get the last rep spots due to having big celebrations for both

Eggman and Sumire time y’all

I based it on Heihachi being a part of Pac-God’s 8-bit taunt...tho anyone else could be valid
Any Persona character would be good for a second spot, but it would totally be Narukami.

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
Someone noticed something: Unlike Min Min & Steve, the Sakurai Presents Tweet for Sephiroth by Nintendo didn't include a following Tweet saying there won't be any additional character news in the presentation.

🤔

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed

Counterpoint:

Honestly, I kind of want Eggman just because I have my own personal list of rivals. And I had Bowser and Ganondorf rivaling each other, but now Bowser is rival-less because Sephiroth HAS to rival Ganondorf to parallel Link vs. Cloud. And since I already have Mario and Sonic rivaling each other, it was meant to be.

But please, it he is getting in, fill in those last four character slots in the code so I can still hold out for Geno, Crash, and a Namco fighter.

Last edited:
Reactions: Z25

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
I got a spare Zarude code thanks to Gamestop I could give to you if it won't work out. It's an EU code, though from what I've read, they also should work for US games.
Thank you for the offer. I might actually take you up on that depending on how things go; would of course be willing to trade an event Pokemon I have in exchange of course. NOA's customer service was very nice during the Piranha Plant giveaway, hopefully TPC will be as well.

I don't do anything with most Legendaries anyway. They just sit in my boxes all day. I still have my Lvl 10 Mew from a 2006 Emerald event at Toys R Us. lol

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom