• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social THE Social Thread 2.0

Which was your favorite new Pokémon revealed from the Scarlet and Violet trailer?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
Pokemon Essay:
Yeah, no shocker. That **** died fast as ****. Gen 4 remakes were some if the most hyped up Pokemon games since last decade, with Gen 4 having a dedicated as hell fanbase. And it came... and went just like that? And now it's dead in the water, active players are dwindling and core features of the game are just absent. So what went wrong?

First, let's talk abiut prerelease, more specifically the mixed reception when it was first revealed. The first trailer for BDSP was shown in a Pokemon Presents and by God did that **** look UGLY, and this isn't talking about the Chibi style. The overall graphics making it look like a cheap $5 phone game with **** that was jagged, bad color choices, some horrible character models it was clear that was this game was not polished for the presents. And "game footage not final"was kinda daunting in the fanbase; SwSh boasted the same message and the graphical fidelity did not really improve at all. Fans were rightfully worried: this is what they're getting, and nothing was gonna change. It looked significantly better with the 2nd trailer (imo, it looks damn good now), but the overall chibi artstyle wasn't everyone's cup of tea.

Next, there's the advertising. Or rather, lack of. There was uh... NOTHING advertised about this game that was actually worthwhile aside from the removal of HMs. Again, SwSh did that, but this time fans were even more worried about what's in the game, or rather what's NOT in the game. Are Megas in? Z-Moves? Dynamax? There was one universal major concern, however...

Let's fast forward ahead to before the game released: it got leaked after months of radio silence in the adventising, and jeez were first impressions BAD. Incomplete content, the midi music was ****ing awful, glitches galore, hell there wasn't even an opening movie. The game was NOT finished at a time it should've gone gold. Essentially
oe7g0c3scdy71.jpg
Now, we got it, and it added everything the fans wanted. Except one major issue which I feel was the true nail in the coffin. One PLATINUM issue...

It was a faithful remake. Too faithful for it's own good. It fixed all the pacing issues D&P had and made the game much smoother. However, there was another game that fixed D&P's everything else: Pokemon Platinum. It fixed gym teams, had a more involved story, fixed the godawful dex, and was a nicer game to look at aside from the Pokemon sprites idk how they ****ed that up. And BDSP had some of that... in the optional post game. Plat Dex? Better hope it's in the Underground before the you hit Cynthia. Gym Leader teams? Post game. Giratina and the Distortion World? Post game. Looker? Lmao. Charon? Lmao. Cynthia actually doing something (and I use something lightly because let's be real, she doesn't do much in Plat). Lmao. Instead it was back to basics, but maybe it was... too basic? Turns out, it's not D&P people loved, it was Platinum for all the improvements it made, but BDSP just imoroved the other issues with Gen 4 but ignored everything else that Plat had fixed.

And finally, the longetivity, or rather, lack of. This game died fast. No competitive meant comp players went back to SwSh, no trading nor Home as of typing this (Every other Pokemon game on Switch has this btw), Gen 4 stans didn't like it and were planning to move on to PLA, casual fans liked it but were ready to move on to PLA, TPC just dumped it and was ready to move on to PLA, yeah, PLA killed any chance this game had, and SWSH killed the competitive scene. Truth is, there is no reason to revisit BDSP. Not even for random battling, the online in BDSP is dead as hell.

To conclude, BDSP was a fine game, but on that was just not hitting the right notes for many people. In the end, being too faithful with nothing much in return just ended any fighting chance it may have had. Could've, should've, would've, but at the end of the day, BDSP will probably go down as one of the least talked about and shortest living Pokemon game.

jk, the real issue was no redesigns. That's why BDSP didn't so do hot/s

Last edited:

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
I have spent too much time playing WWE 2K22’s MyGM/GM Mode…in love with it

Jondolio

Smash Hero
Good Morning My Gamers
More Netflix One Piece castings
I am still puzzled as to why this is a thing. I'm gonna give it until the Orange Town arc and if they don't do my boy Buggy justice Imma drop it like a hot potato

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
Well I finally got round to beating Brilliant Diamond.

Team was:
Empoleon
Roserade
Luxray
Togekiss
Gallade
Mamoswine

Edit: Don't think I ever mentioned it but comparing to my team from Legends
Typhlosion
Crobat
Golduck
Electivire
Torterra
Goodra

Last edited:

rychu_supadude

Smash Journeyman
The modern equivalent of "walking into a room and forgetting why you're there" is "opening a tab and forgetting what you wanted to look up"

Happens to me at least once a day now :facepalm:

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Well I finally got round to beating Brilliant Diamond.

Team was:
Empoleon
Roserade
Luxray
Togekiss
Gallade
Mamoswine

Edit: Don't think I ever mentioned it but comparing to my team from Legends
Typhlosion
Crobat
Golduck
Electivire
Torterra
Goodra
You still have a team of six? Why? There’s no organized trainer battles. I expected it to either limit you to one partner Mon or let you just throw out whoever you’ve caught. But why have a “team” if there’s no competition?

Jondolio

Smash Hero
I went back to Brilliant Diamond to get back the progress I lost. I caught a Cleffa since it was morning so now I have a Clefairy on my team.

I didn't really progress much beyond Hearthome City though, since I still primarily want to play before bed. Also because I'm super close to the only other location that has Murkrow but it's only at night so I don't want to blow the last chance I have of getting one.

My current team is Prinplup, Staravia, Luxio, Machop, Stunky, and Clefairy. Only 2 deaths so far and they both happened at the very beginning, but I have a feeling the worst has yet to come.

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
More Netflix One Piece castings
I thought the person in the top left was Ninja at first. The show should hire him, because it would be funny.

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
Advance Wars delayed again

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Of the Primal episodes I've seen. The infected argentinosaurus one has to be my favorite so far. Can't remember the last time something in fiction actually terrified me.

It was such a great idea and concept rather than going with the usual carnivore, the show instead went with a once peaceful giant herbivore becoming infected and "rogue". The size alone and the way it moves just terrifying and you just can't help but feel for the argentinosaurus. It never asked for any of what it went through before eventually all it took was nature to rid of the plague for good.

Jondolio

Smash Hero
nvm after realizing why they delayed the game i realize my joke was kinda insensitive

Last edited:

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there
Advance Wars delayed again

Honestly, based move.

reading the quote retweets to this is pain, tho

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom