• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social THE Social Thread 2.0

Which was your favorite new Pokémon revealed from the Scarlet and Violet trailer?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kirby Dragons

Smash Hero
I noticed the Galar starters getting hate earlier. I'm not a fan of Inteleon's design, but Rillaboom looks okay IMO. And Cinderace is the best designed of the three, with a clear theme in mind it follows. All the starters were monotype, but I fail to see how that's an issue, especially since we had two straight generations with only dual typed starters.

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
Say, did anyone bring this up?

I don't think this is so reliable, but I just wanted to share this with you all just in case.
Nintendo raytracing in 2022.

It's bull****.

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
Only by today's standards, back in the day they were the GOAT and a major step up from Gen 3 (phys/spe split). I can't think of a individual Pokemon game I've done more playthroughs of. I remember begging my parents to buy a DS Wi-Fi adapter so I could trade/battle online. Not needing a link cable was huge when playing with friends.

All that aside, they along with the original RS are hard to go back to, I'd argue even more so than RGB/GS, now given all the improvements the Directors Cuts/remakes now offer unless you are nostalgia or like the OG character designs.
My biggest problem with the originals, was they were slow and kinda clunky.

Platinum fixed this big time while also expanding a lot of nice things. It had a better dex, it added the looker story, gave us a nice start with the winter feel, expanded the battle zone for gym rematches, battle frontier, etc, distortion world, you could buy and customize your house, and the underground was fun to play around with. Small changes but they added up to create a really solid expansion to the game.

Jondolio

Smash Hero
Gonna respond to this real quick
I noticed the Galar starters getting hate earlier. I'm not a fan of Inteleon's design, but Rillaboom looks okay IMO. And Cinderace is the best designed of the three, with a clear theme in mind it follows. All the starters were monotype, but I fail to see how that's an issue, especially since we had two straight generations with only dual typed starters.
Personally, my problem with Cinderace is that it's too short. When I first saw it I refused to believe it was a final evolution, I was sure it was just a middle form. It looks alright other than that but still underwhelming imo. Rillaboom is my favorite of the trio but it's as you said - it just looks okay.

The problem with all of them being monotypes after so many generations of the starters being dual types is that this pattern kind of created an expectation. It's a pretty basic expectation at that, but when the following starters fail to meet it, it's not really a great look. Also the fact most of them just look like people in fursuits with little in the way of clear and cool themes on top of that unlike with say, Greninja and Decidueye (specifically mentioning those two as they're my personal favorite starters) rubs people the wrong way. Inteleon is the worst offender of this since the theme they were going for just isn't obvious until you hear its name, and it just looks hideous in general.

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
Nintendo be like:

“You said ray tracing?”

1646165580059.jpeg

“We thought you meant wave racing

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
Where the weather changes as much as my avatar
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
Damn.

I called my friend to ask her if she wanted to hang. Maybe at the skate park down by the mall.

But her mom (who’s super annoying) says she’s gotta prevent hostile aliens from annihilating us all.

Bummer :drsad:
Noipoi’s real name is Brad confirmed?

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
Damn.

I called my friend to ask her if she wanted to hang. Maybe at the skate park down by the mall.

But her mom (who’s super annoying) says she’s gotta prevent hostile aliens from annihilating us all.

What are you talking about? Zim is clearly a human, just like us.

ZeldaFan01

Cassie Shore/Shelby Goodkind (Netflix)
NNID
?
"do you wanna fit in with the POPULR crowd
"Yes!"
Well TOO BAD - Sam, iCarly (2009)
Kelly Kooper, TERRIBLE MOVIE. :)

Kirby Dragons

Smash Hero
The problem with all of them being monotypes after so many generations of the starters being dual types is that this pattern kind of created an expectation. It's a pretty basic expectation at that, but when the following starters fail to meet it, it's not really a great look. Also the fact most of them just look like people in fursuits with little in the way of clear and cool themes on top of that unlike with say, Greninja and Decidueye (specifically mentioning those two as they're my personal favorite starters) rubs people the wrong way. Inteleon is the worst offender of this since the theme they were going for just isn't obvious until you hear its name, and it just looks hideous in general.
I don't think it should've become an expectation in the first place, when single typed starters have existed since the beginning. Kanto and Hoenn had one, Unova had two, and Johto had three. I'm not against dual type starters existing, as they can often help create some cool Pokemon, but they shouldn't be the only option.

---

がんばってね!
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Idk, I haven't got to Emerald yet but I think I'd prefer FRLG (which I am playing) more than OG D&P, even without the split. I think most people think Platinum when it comes to Gen 4.
Same thing with Emerald at this point. If there's one thing though that made the remakes for me it was removing HMs or at least not requiring HM slaves. Easily the biggest issue with Sinnoh IMO is just how often they are required.

Emerald I think holds up the most of the Gen 3 games and I still go back to it here and there to do easy cloning of Legendaries for GTS trading.

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there
Damn.

I almost took this as something serious until it clicked.

2E9BD015-6A3F-4902-A961-0C090F88192D.jpeg

I think I may be losing what little sanity I had left.

ZeldaFan01

NNID
?
Damn.

"Okay go ahead, that's fine. Yeah we're not gonna be here when they get here anyway we're gonna be gone, so, it's fine."
Phosphora?

No it think it was another Blondie on another one of those "hey look. The camera is... Right over there.! :)"

Noipoi

Howdy!
I almost took this as something serious until it clicked.

View attachment 346489

I think I may be losing what little sanity I had left.
This is serious. There’s a ****in alien invasion, man.

Then again, my friend has the strength of a million and seventy men. So I guess I really shouldn’t complain.

Last edited:

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
Somebody pointed out that Springatito's eyes in the official art are off centered.

...****, i cant unsee it.

ZeldaFan01

NNID
?
It IS SuperMaryFace "etc. if u, ridiculous comment...Then I hope that U break both of your ankles, and then have to walk home in the rain. :)

YouTuber Married to & I'm CinnamonToastKen.!

Last edited:

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there
I still can't believe TPC is actually committing to "evolving" Pokémon.

Like, I just never thought I'd see this series grow. I accepted it would always be the way it is, and they totally could've left it that way; The games would sell regardless of ambition or quality.

Maybe...Maybe the do kinda care, a little bit.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719

Like, I just never thought I'd see this series grow. I accepted it would always be the way it is, and they totally could've left it that way; The games would sell regardless of ambition or quality.

"You chumps will buy it just because it's Pokemon" doesn't apply to every Pokemon fan, and they gotta acknowledge that to keep up sales.

I wouldn't say that they're acknowledging that with SV as much as they did with PLA right now, however. I'll wait and see just like I did with Arceus.

Noipoi

Howdy!

Clearly the Sw/Sh backlash affected them. I figured we’d start to see changes like this in gen 12, but they seem really devoted to trying to give the fans what they want.

It’s pretty damn cool, especially when they really didn’t have to. They could make the next Pokémon in MSPaint and it’d sell.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
I just found out Stan Smith actually pays an entire band to play his music to sing to…always thought the music was strictly coming out of him (like with the rest of the Smith family)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom