• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social THE Social Thread 2.0

Which was your favorite new Pokémon revealed from the Scarlet and Violet trailer?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Doesn't the Pokemon moba have like, 40$ skins.
TPC with the Game Corner: "Can't stand their gambling ass"

TPC with gacha games, a genre traditionally designed to exploit gambling addictions to the point the Pokemon Masters game literally isn't released in the continent with stricter gambling laws: "Me and the bestie!'

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
Cryptobros spending thousands to "own" an image vs Gachapawns spending thousands to pull a png.

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
I'm not sure this would help as much because like, if I were a *heel wanting to post ****ed up *, then the limit would need to be pretty high to stop me. You already see rather new accounts seem to post random nonsense that makes no sense for the sake of bait and traditionally speaking, the worst people on the planet are the ones who dedicate themselves to being garbage so if this were to get implemented, it'd need to be a pretty high number of posts which also screws with people who aren't deranged but made a new account
This is somewhat a fair point. At the same time however, having extra steps will still turn away a lot of basic trolls. They won’t want to put in the extra work for something that will get them zapped from this site in an instant. Especially:
Do IP bans not exist in Smashboards?
Why these do exist. I know if a few accounts they have been hit by these. They just aren’t frequently used. If they were used as another barrier publicly, then this would also greatly reduce the risk.

Example, if a sort of older account started hate speech or any other big time rule breakers, they honestly don’t even deserve a warning, but a perma ip ban. They want to fight it, well that’s what the discord could be for.

But publicly displaying that this isn’t going to be tolerated and that the mods will act fast, would definitely deter a lot of people.

Guh-Huzzah!

Totally humorous voice over and YouTube guy.
Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893
Why these do exist. I know if a few accounts they have been hit by these. They just aren’t frequently used. If they were used as another barrier publicly, then this would also greatly reduce the risk.

Example, if a sort of older account started hate speech or any other big time rule breakers, they honestly don’t even deserve a warning, but a perma ip ban. They want to fight it, well that’s what the discord could be for.

But publicly displaying that this isn’t going to be tolerated and that the mods will act fast, would definitely deter a lot of people.
The IP banning system feels a wee bit flawed to me, honestly. I once got temporarily IP banned cause they saw my brother make an account and they thought it was an alt I made. It took SEVERAL days to convince them it was not an alt. And I have been IP banned for the same reason on this site before. Also the mod in question just generally gave off some passive aggressive vibes, and absolutely would not trust me when I told them I had a brother. Not a good look.

...Or maybe this "guilty until proven innocent" attitude isn't usual and I just got stuck with a sucky mod.

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
Anyways, Smashboards is back on scheduele, it's time to yell at Arlo hours

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
Turn base games can be neat because since they turn combat into a sort of puzzle.

I really prefer it to some real-time RPGs like Xenoblade where combat feels mostly automated.

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there
It was actually a really good video, though.

He just talked about whether or not they should move over to Legends new system for everything or keep both. He pretty much leans on doing both. :dr^_^:

Last edited:

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804

He just talked about whether or not they should move over to Legends new system for everything or keep both. He pretty much leans on doing both. :dr^_^:
Then the content of the video is at odds with the title and thumbnail he's given the video because Legends is still turn based.

"Should Pokemon's combat system be updated/streamlined?" works better but I guess he can't bait the rage clicks from fans of other turn based RPGs if he did that.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Speaking of antiquated battle systems

DAILY DEMON SHOWCASE

This showcase's demon is of the Jaki race:

1642865960430.png

“ME JAKI OGRE! ME LOOK TOUGH, BUT ME KIND! LET'S FIGHT!”

Alignment: Dark-Neutral

Origin: French mythology. A legendary monster is usually depicted as a large, hideous, humanoid that eats people, especially children. They are inhumanly large, have disproportionately large heads, abundant hair, unusually colored skin, a voracious appetite, and a strong body. Their name comes from the Etruscan god Orcus and a feminine ogre is called an ogress. In fairy tales, they are usually chaotic forces that can only be beaten with wits.

Skills: Deathbound, Impaler’s Animus, Critical Wave

Next time, you will meet a demon of the Femme race.

Ogre looks like a pretty standard monster at first glance but he satisfies some interesting details about ogres like the long hair and unnatural skin color. There are also a lot of small remainders about his appetite peppered in his look, like his skull necklace, butcher’s knife, and a bag full of stuff that isn’t donuts. Wrestler singlet is a curious decision though. Maybe it is supposed to symbolize his strength?

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed

I mean, I get that but tbh I'm not quite a fan on how he kinda sets up Turn Based as an outdated system in the thumbnail and stuff. I know he also said turned based exists because of hardware limitations which isn't true.

I may be biased because Turn Based is my favorite genre in all of vidya.

Also, I don't think Arlo realizes just how much more difficult it woukd be if it weren't turnedbased. An ARPG or a Pokken like mainline game would be ****ing difficult for a game with as many creatures as Pokemon. Maybe for Spinoffs, yeah, but nah, keep it the same for main-series.

Last edited:

MooMew64

Also, I don't think Arlo realizes just how much more difficult it woukd be if it weren't turnedbased. An ARPG or a Pokken like mainline game would be ****ing difficult for a game with as many creatures as Pokemon. Maybe for Spinoffs, yeah, but nah, keep it the same for main-series.
He actually does cover that in the video, he acknowledges that it keeps the main series playable for everyone and makes it super accessible, and it would be terrible to just take away something so many people have come to enjoy and are still enjoying.

TBH the end of the video makes it pretty clear he sees value in both and that they're for different people, and thus should both keep going in unison.

Last edited:

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
He actually does cover that in the video, he acknowledges that it keeps the main series playable for everyone and makes it super accessible, and it would be terrible to just take away something so many people have come to enjoy and are still enjoying.

TBH the end of the video makes it pretty clear he sees value in both and that they're for different people, and thus should both keep going in unison.
Idk, I get that, I'm just tired of the "turn based bad" takes that been going on for so many ****ing years. Like, ik he didn't go full turn based bad but he didn't need that clickbait thumbnail and given his previous takes on RPGs and stuff, idk, makes me just not wanna watch the video. Maybe I just don't like Nintendotubers (shocker, I know).
Nobody tells Arlo what genre Paper Mario is.
The genre is Breath of the Wild.

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
Mainline Pokemon just needs battles to be more streamlined if anything because Battles can have a ton going on and the way Pokemon moves through all of them takes a long ass time for even a single turn.

Otherwise it's fine really.

MooMew64

All I'm gonna say is it's pretty clear some of y'all didn't even watch the video, 'cause he doesn't badmouth turnbased systems or say they're bad like, at all.

But I ain't startin' a Smashboards moment over funny puppet man video, so to each their own. :drshrug:

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
All I'm gonna say is it's pretty clear some of y'all didn't even watch the video, 'cause he doesn't badmouth turnbased systems or say they're bad like, at all.

But I ain't startin' a Smashboards moment over funny puppet man video, so to each their own. :drshrug:
He probs did have points, I'm just not a fan if the clickbait. Kinda turns me off the video.
Mainline Pokemon just needs battles to be more streamlined if anything because Battles can have a ton going on and the way Pokemon moves through all of them takes a long ass time for even a single turn.

Otherwise it's fine really.
I'll agree on this. I like BDSP but god damn did it make me realize just how slow Pokemon battkes are. Can get like 5 ****ing textboxes in a row and that's not factoring the animations which overall can take up to 20 seconds just before you can select your next move.

Like, speed it up lol.

SolarPCG

Banned via Administration
I quite like turn based combat for Pokemon in a thematic sense, as picking options from a menu easily translates to the fantasy of being a trainer and commanding your Pokemon what to do.

Oh yeah, hi. I'm new here. Consider this my grand entrance to the world of SmashBoards.

MooMew64

He probs did have points, I'm just not a fan if the clickbait. Kinda turns me off the video.
And I wanna make it clear no one has to, I was just clearing some things up as someone who watched it.

The thumbnail is definitely a weakness of the video, though, I'll call him out on that. On the same token, though, this is what puts food on the table for him and the YT algorithm is the name of the game, slightly negative thumbnail/joke in thumbnail for clickbait is what gets the clicks. From an outside viewer's perspective, it's definitely annoying and I don't like it, but as someone who's entering the content creation field myself, I'm not necessarily gonna dog on him too much for using what works.

But that said

It is a bad thumbnail and it would probably be wise if he tried to not lean to heavily into that side of YT. There are better ways of "clickbaiting" and this wasn't one of 'em.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom