• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social THE Social Thread 2.0

Which was your favorite new Pokémon revealed from the Scarlet and Violet trailer?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul
So apparently the Monster Hunter movie is ****.

gasp

I'm shocked, I really am! No, really, who could have guessed?!

There's a racist joke super early into it

"Wait what?"
Got any links to some reviews?

Alright, never mind then.

Last edited:

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed

Shroob

Sup?
So looking into it, apparently that phrase is racist as **** over there.

How did they screw things up this bad?
From what I understand, it basically translates to "Lower than or equal to dirt" due to how it's written in Chinese, basically being "Underneath the knee"

So they called their Asian market lower than dirt lol

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
From what I understand, it basically translates to "Lower than or equal to dirt" due to how it's written in Chinese, basically being "Underneath the knee"

According to replies in the thread the subtitle editors tried changing the word in question to “gold”

...it didn’t work

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
So apparently the Monster Hunter movie is ****.

gasp

I'm shocked, I really am! No, really, who could have guessed?!

There's a racist joke super early into it

"Wait what?"
What do you expect from the director of those awful Resident Evil movies?

As if there was any hope with him at helm.

Last edited:

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804

And that's their main market because the Chinese audience carried the hell out of the RE movies.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Holy hell what did I just walk into?
The Monster Hunter movie apparently made some questionable choices, to put it mildly. I'm not familiar with Monster Hunter, but given that the same director made a bunch of Resident Evil movies that cast aside the characters who were actually from the games in favour of a superpowered OC who apparently makes everyone else seem useless, I'm not overly surprised.

Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
You know, Metal Gear is the one movie where it makes sense to have the US Military, but they're gonna mess it up by being pro military when the games were anything but.
It's being done by the director of Kong: Skull Island who I even recall is a fan of the series. I'm certain it's gonna be faithful to its source material.

Last edited:

Roguewolf

Smash Lord
Hey new color font let me know if it blends together for you or is too hard to read because yknow your the only people I really talk to around here. So is it fine is a different lighter shade of purple preferable cause god knows I’m going for a purple shade that is my favorite color and stuff Ive now run out of things to write but I’m trying to create a wall of text so you can tell me if it’s too hard to read or blends together so I guess I’ll just keep typing then but now I think that’s enough text so goodbye

dezeray112

Smash Hero
Nope.

Even our old pal ZhungeEX chimed in on it.

Wow. Seriously, who wrote this? Did the actor (Jin Au-Yeung, I believe) know the meaning behind his dialogue and secondly did Paul W.S. Anderson really thought this through before approving it within the final cut?

Making a racist remark like this is certainly not the way to go especially when you market this to one of biggest target audiences that could help with its box office run. In addition, this will put a bad spin on Asian representation.

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
Got any links to some reviews?

Alright, never mind then.
Considering the movie isn't out til Xmas, I'd assume there's a review embargo currently.

But just the general consensus I've seen is very "Ehhhh". I feel like people kinda went into this movie with low expectations since, ya know, not really what anyone wanted out of a Monster Hunter Movie.

Shroob

Sup?
Shroob Shroob
Oh well there goes most of their box office

KillerCage

Smash Master
Shroob Shroob

People don't like being insulted. Who knew?​

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
At first when hearing it I thought it was a joke involving his pride in his nationality and rhyming with knees, with any racist connection being unintentional, but I didn’t know enough about it, and apparently it could in fact be a reference to a racist phrase so idk.

I don’t understand why they’d intentionally put a racist joke in, especially against their main audience they’re starting with who was big for their other movies ._. Really dumb.

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
At first when hearing it I thought it was a joke involving his pride in his nationality and rhyming with knees, with any racist connection being unintentional, but I didn’t know enough about it, and apparently it could in fact be a reference to a racist phrase so idk.

I don’t understand why they’d intentionally put a racist joke in, especially against their main audience they’re starting with who was big for their other movies ._. Really dumb.
I mean

That wouldn't be the first time something racist has been rhymed with knee, ya know.

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
Just before I go to bed, just sharin' this here in case some users are curious.
Jinx Bunch of faces.png

Not going to tag peoples on this one, but I hope you like the variety I have for now.

On that said, have a good night, folks!

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
I mean

That wouldn't be the first time something racist has been rhymed with knee, ya know.
I’m not very familiar with this knee stuff - that was the first time I ever heard of the phrase after reading it on Twitter (maybe I’m just sheltered) - but I think I got an idea of what you’re talking about ._.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom